Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What grad would you give our draft?
A 102 64.56%
B 45 28.48%
C 8 5.06%
D 1 0.63%
F 2 1.27%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2014   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What grade would you give this draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
If we can get four players offering various levels of positive contribution to this team, I'll be happy.
Learn some dance moves.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #42
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Learn some dance moves.
I don't get it, lol.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #43
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

A+.......
Old 05-10-2014   #44
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like a tremendous Draft right now, but of course we really won't know for atleast 2 or 3 years. Hey when can I get a Clowney jersey/T-shirt ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #45
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i absolutely give it an A. assuming health, i see 4 guys who are likely to start game one (5 if you count FB) and play at an NFL level. we set a direction and most definitely achieved it with draft, getting bigger and tougher. along with great value, i think that's really where we won - not with the individuals, but with the group as a whole.

clowney will start, and casserly (i know) is already putting him in next year's top 100 show.

XSF will start and strengthens the entire line.

feido will start and adds a rare combination of blocking and receiving tightend that we dont have. is already being compared to 2 probowlers.

nix will rotate with powe and will start as early as game 1.

savage had possibly the highest upside of the quarterbacks in this draft, and was taken when value made it a great pick.

pagan will be part of the rotation immediately and will probably beat out crick by next year.

blue will be part of the depth.

prosch will start-ish. i dont think there's anything more underrated than a great blocking fullback, and prosch is a thumper.

hal and balentine ... 7th rounders that might make the squad as special teamers. one site was extremely high on hal, so there may be real potential there to assume a nickel role as early as next year.
Old 05-10-2014   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I gave them a B.

I thought they were doing everything right, until they got to the second 6th round pick. Then it was like they left Rick Smith alone while everyone else went for nachos.
Old 05-10-2014   #47
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I enjoyed this draft immensely and think we did good. I think we got better on both sides of the ball. Our defense has a chance to be really special over the next few years. One thing I thought about this morning as I looked over the haul from days 1 & 2 was how similar this draft was to the 2006 draft. In Kubiak's first season here when he worked with Casserly he was also fortunate to get a really deep draft and we picked well in it.

We got a bunch of starters that year. Mario, DeMeco, Spencer, Winston, and Daniels all were great picks. Spencer got hurt but I don't think of him as a bad pick. Nobody could have predicted that. It really was a "5 starter draft" and both Mario and DeMeco were special players.

This year we just might have matched it. Clowney, Su'a-Filo, Fiedorowicz, and Nix look like locks to start to me. Just one more guy works out and that matches the kind of quality we got in 2006. The thing is I'm more excited about these guys than I was that group.

I'd rather have had Mettenberger than Savage but that's splitting hairs at this point. Neither would have been picked to start (Though Mettenberger will displace Locker quickly in Nashville I expect). Maybe Pagan will step up and be the 5th starter. Who knows?

I give this an "A" knowing that grading the draft on the last day is kind of pointless. Still, very optimistic about this one.
Old 05-10-2014   #48
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Whoops, that one F was me.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #49
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We got a bunch of starters that year. Mario, DeMeco, Spencer, Winston, and Daniels all were great picks. Spencer got hurt but I don't think of him as a bad pick. Nobody could have predicted that. It really was a "5 starter draft" and both Mario and DeMeco were special players.

This year we just might have matched it. Clowney, Su'a-Filo, Fiedorowicz, and Nix look like locks to start to me. Just one more guy works out and that matches the kind of quality we got in 2006. The thing is I'm more excited about these guys than I was that group.
This would be a crazy good class if it turned out like 2006. You had 3 pro bowlers and one of the best RTs in the NFL for several seasons come out of that class.

I like this class, but I don't see it being anywhere near 2006. That was one of the 10-15 all time great drafts for any franchise.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #50
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

is this a Patriots draft 2002 draft outta /10

reminds me of it LOL

We are now Patriots SOUTH a bunch of blue collar no name players bring your lunch pail BIGGGG UGLY PLAYERS
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #51
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
is this a Patriots draft 2002 draft outta /10

reminds me of it LOL

We are now Patriots SOUTH a bunch of blue collar no name players bring your lunch pail BIGGGG UGLY PLAYERS
Reminded me more of a .... Steelers draft from the Chuck Noll & Bill Cowher era's.

Bunch of big nasty types that wont get pushed around ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #52
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Whoops, that one F was me.
haha yeah i had to look and see who that lone wolf was. Was assuming you hit the wrong button but you never know.

To me this is one of the best drafts i have seen from the texans !
Old 05-11-2014   #53
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I think we`ve got ourselves 5 early season starters out of this draft:

Clowney
XSF
Fiedorowicz
Nix
Prosch

Add to that 3 rotational players in

Pagan
Blue
Hal

Anf two projects in:

Savage
Ballentine

So, 5 starters, 3 rotational player, 2 guys with a buttload of talent that could help us in the future. That is a great draft in my book. Of course it never plays out this way, but I still think we`ve got a whole lot better the past 3 days.
Guh. I love the draft and give it an A-

...that awkward moment when you realize you may have drafted five starters and realize how low your team has dropped when you draft five starters...
Old 05-11-2014   #54
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Clowney, an expected pick and best player in the draft. A
2. Su'a Filo, surprising but we got the best OG in the draft. A+
3. Fiedorowicz, good player but there was better talent available at positions of need. The player is a B, the pick is a head scratcher. C-
3b. Nix, best NT in the draft and if he stays healthy this pick is a conditional A+
4. Savage, he's got potential, I give the pick a B.
6. Pagan, he's a rotational body with decent size and there was better talent still available. C+
6b. Blue, head scratcher when you consider that Lache Seastrunk was still available. F
6c. Prosch, This pick makes no sense, haven't we already taken 2 FB's in the last 2 yrs., now we've got 3. In a very deep draft it's a wasted pick. F
7. Hal, grade based on potential alone, there were better prospects still available. C
7b. Ballentine, size and speed is what you look for in the 7th. B+

It seems that O'Brien was in charge of the first 4 rounds and that he then turned it over to Rick Smith who had no clue who any of these players were. Smith continues to treat the late rounds of the draft like they don't matter, and in possibly the deepest draft ever that's inexcuseable. Taking Blue in the 6th when Lache Seastrunk was available to you makes no sense what so ever, an injured rotational backup over one of the best RB prospects available? The first 5 picks are an A-, the last 5 picks are a C-/D+ I average it out to a B-
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #55
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Draft gets an A from me.

We didn't draft any Whitney Mercilus fake football players. Most of the guys we picked I already knew a great deal about...A couple of the others I've been brushing up on them and I like what little I've seen.

First four picks were home runs as far as I'm concerned.

Savage is going to have to put in the work to be a starting QB in the NFL. I'm intrigued by him and cautiously optimistic. Hopefully he becomes a star, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Love Prosch and Blue. Especially Prosch. I think he's going to be a Texan for a long, long time.

Pagan has the ability...He just needs to get the consistent motor and desire. I think his adrenaline as a rookie will help take care of that though. But the guy is solidly built. Strong. Perfect fit at 34 DE.

Overall this team used this draft to get bigger and stronger and flat out more talented.
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #56
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Ask me again in 3 years.
That's me. I think the best player taken was the ucla guard. Nix and clowney can really mke this draft special if the can live up to some of what they display talent wise. Not a savage fan. I feel like if the texans wanted a big,inaccurate passer to fix,why not josh freeman? Better yet,why not a guy like boyd? I like the iowa te. He's not gonna make anyone bracket him,but he runs better than his 40. Kinda wanted seastrunk vs blue,but that's me. Ballentine has a lot of upside and he probably get stashed for a yr. I like the randy bullock pick as a udfa.
Old 05-11-2014   #57
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
6c. Prosch, This pick makes no sense, haven't we already taken 2 FB's in the last 2 yrs., now we've got 3. In a very deep draft it's a wasted pick. F
I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

No. We haven't taken any FBs the past 2 years and although we've got 1 FB on the team right now, he's a guy we picked up from the Browns -- I think he was a street FA.

Last year, we picked up Greg Jones from the Jags. But that was a 1 year contract and he's gone now.

We also traded a couple of years ago for a FB but he's no longer on the team.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #58
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

No. We haven't taken any FBs the past 2 years and although we've got 1 FB on the team right now, he's a guy we picked up from the Browns -- I think he was a street FA.

Last year, we picked up Greg Jones from the Jags. But that was a 1 year contract and he's gone now.

We also traded a couple of years ago for a FB but he's no longer on the team.
What I'm referring to were UDFA's Zach Boren-2013 who was supposed to be a very good FB, Jason Ford-2012, FA Greg Jones-2013, and some guy you say we picked up as a street FA from the Browns. Brad Smelley is on the roster now, not sure if that's the guy your referring to from the Browns. That's 4 FB's in the last 2 yrs.. I understand Jones left for better money elsewhere, but Boren was supposed to be a very good FB. You'd think that one of these guys could stick with the team. We've got a revolving turnstile at FB. I just think there was better talent on the board to be had than drafting a FB.

The first 5 picks in the draft were very good, and the last 5 picks were bad when you consider the other talent on the board.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #59
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19488 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's my take:
- Clowney: I've never been sold on him. I hope I'm wrong, but someone who was regularly handled the whole year and plays with an inconsistent motor bothers me. I worry we'll have another Mario: tremendous potential with flashes but never really becoming a true difference-maker. There were 4 or 5 others I'd have put higher.

- Sua'Filo: Really like this pick.

-Fiedorowicz: Not so sure at first, but as I've learned more about him, I'm very happy about this pick, also.

- Nix: Love this pick. Hope whatever was causing him to drop turns out to be a non-issue, though.

- Savage: Not sure he is any better than what we already had

- 6th and 7th round picks: OK, I guess, but nothing spectacular. Prosch is the one pick out of this group that I really like - I'm surprised we need a FB, but he seems like a good one.

- Overall: we went into this draft with one gigantic need: QB. I don't think that Savage is the answer there. Between not being so high on the Clowney pick and not getting a top QB prospect, I can't give this an A. There are some other really good picks, though, so I'll go with a B.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #60
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
What I'm referring to were UDFA's Zach Boren-2013 who was supposed to be a very good FB, Jason Ford-2012, FA Greg Jones-2013, and some guy you say we picked up as a street FA from the Browns. Brad Smelley is on the roster now, not sure if that's the guy your referring to from the Browns. That's 4 FB's in the last 2 yrs.. I understand Jones left for better money elsewhere, but Boren was supposed to be a very good FB. You'd think that one of these guys could stick with the team. We've got a revolving turnstile at FB. I just think there was better talent on the board to be had than drafting a FB.

The first 5 picks in the draft were very good, and the last 5 picks were bad when you consider the other talent on the board.
You were making it sound like we'd drafted 2 FBs in the previous couple of years and we haven't.

Greg Jones is an OLD FB and was only on a 1 year contract. The other guys were just guys, UDFA guys that we hoped would be able to come in and make a difference. But. Still. UDFA guys. Not guys you should put a lot of hope in.

But most importantly, KUBIAK guys. This is a different staff looking for different qualities.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read