Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What grad would you give our draft?
A 102 64.56%
B 45 28.48%
C 8 5.06%
D 1 0.63%
F 2 1.27%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2014   #1
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What grade would you give this draft?

Itīs a wrap. What grade would you give our draft? Hereīs how it went:

First Round

1.1 Jadeveon Clowney DE/OLB

Second Round

2.1 Xavier Suía-Filo G

Third Round

3.1 C.J. Fiedorowicz TE

3.19 Louis Nix NT

Fourth Round

4.35 Tom Savage QB

Sixth Round

6.1 Jeoffrey Pagan DE

6.5 Alfred Blue HB

6.35 Jay Prosch FB

Seventh Round

7.1 Andre Hal CB

7.41 Lonnie Ballentine FS
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2014 Texansí Draft Grades

Well, the 2014 draft is over. The Texans have added ten new players to the team. How do you think they did? **I know grades following the draft are meaningless. This thread is purely for amusement and discussion of the new additions. If you donít want to participate, then please leave the thread for those of us that do. Thanks for not being a ***********

Round 1, Pick 1: South Carolina OLB Jadeveon Clowney Grade: B+
I donít think anybody is really surprised with this pick. In short, Clowney has all the physical ability he needs to become a dominate pass rusher in the NFL, but there are concerns over his motivation, injury history (bone spurs), and production (just 3 sacks this past year). I strongly believe that the Texans tried to trade out of this pick, but received no satisfactory offers. In sum, I think this is a B+ pick. While I would have taken Robinson, the Texans must be commended for not getting cute and trying to be the smartest in the room. They took the near consensus top prospect, whose upside is undenyable. Whether he reaches it or not is another question. Day 1 starter.

Round 2, Pick 33: UCLA OG Xavier Suía-Filo Grade: A
I think we all knew the Texans needed to upgrade the OL, and this pick does just that. XSF (I am not going to write his name, ever) is a strong, athletic, and nasty interior line prospect, who reportedly has a very strong work ethic. Truthfully, I am surprised that he was not taken earlier. Day 1 starter.

Round 3, Pick 65: Iowa TE CJ Fiedorowicz Grade: A
I canít tell you guys how much I like this pick; Fiedorowicz has been on my radar for years. Fiedo possesses a large frame, and is much more athletic than people give him credit for. He is a dominant in-line blocker, and is a great red zone target and short-to-intermediate safety blanket for whatever QB becomes the starter. Day 1 starter.

Round 3, Pick 83: Notre Dame NT Louis Nix III Grade: A
The Front Office nailed another pick, trading up to get, in my opinion, the top NT prospect in the draft. Louis Nix III is the space-eater most of us have been coveting for years, and, unlike most other big guys, exhibits quick feet and good effort on most plays. There are concerns over his weight and injury history, but I am going to put some trust in the FO. Day 1 starter.

Round 4, Pick 135: Pitt QB Tom Savage Grade: B+
First, I want to say that, while I liked Bridgewater, I am glad the Texans did not reach for a QB despite an organizational need for one. Savage has prototypical size, a big arm, and has demonstrated that he can learn a variety of offenses. Now, I am concerned that he did not play for over 1,000 days, largely as a result of his double transfer. It really worries me that he transferred from Rutgers instead of gritting his teeth and battling, but you have to remember, he was young. People make mistakes, people mature. Again, I am putting some trust in the FO. Savage should not start this year, but weirder things have happened.

Round 6, Pick 177: Alabama DE Jeoffrey Pagan Grade: A
I donít know a ton about this guy, but what I do know, I like. A big guy with excellent strength and surprising agility, Pagan seems to be a perfect fit as a 3-4 end. He should not start this year, but I do expect him to see significant playing time.

Round 6, Pick 181: LSU RB Alfred Blue Grade: C
I am a little surprised here, and confess that I donít know much about Blue. A big back with average speed, Blue was mainly utilized as a member of a RB rotation at LSU. Runs hard, does not have great lateral agility, and apparently has good hands out of the backfield (per pro day reports). Honestly, I would have gone with another position, or even a different RB. That said, it is becoming clear the type of offense the new HC wants, and Blue seems to be a fit. I have high hopes, but pretty low expectations.

Round 6, Pick 211: Auburn FB Jay Prosch Grade: B
Well, if we are going to run a power offense, Prosch is a good player to have. Not a huge threat in the passing game, Prosch is a run-blocking monster. Squares up well, and really hits the defenders in the mouth. Should make the roster due to his skill set (blocking ace) and special teams ability.

Round 7, Pick 216: Vanderbilt CB Dre Hal Grade: C
To be honest, this is the first time I have heard about him. We need a CB and he returns kicks, so he fits an organizational need, but after reading some scouting reports, I have to wonder if he even makes the roster. However, the guy at BRB likes him a bunch, so hopefully he has it right. Since I have no eval of my own, I have to go with a C here. Subject to change once I get around to finding some film.

Round 7, Pick 256: Memphis S Lonnie Ballentine Grade: C
Again, I don't know anything about this guy. A quick look at some draft sides show that he is more athlete than football player at this point. A good project guy for the future.

Overall Grade: A
Easy. This draft was awesome.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What grade would you give this draft?

I give that a A.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #4
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

First to give it an A.

Good jerb, Obie & Co.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

An I
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Gotta give it an "A" on the weight of the early picks, even though I felt we left some talent "on the table" with some later picks.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #7
foo82
Veteran

Rep Power: 2895 foo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd give it 3.1416

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
foo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2014   #8
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

A for Awesome draft!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

For the first time in a long time, I felt like the staff had a plan and they pursued it. There's no doubt after this draft what the identity of the team will be. I'm not sure I ever felt that way about the team before. On top of that, they didn't cave to the pressure to take a QB that they didn't feel was worth the pick.

A+
Old 05-10-2014   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll give it an A easily. On paper, this looks like a terrific draft.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

We crushed it. I love how this draft looks on paper.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #12
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 26739 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Love this draft.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #13
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd give this a B.
Old 05-10-2014   #14
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Basically my reaction to this draft:

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #15
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11687 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I love this draft we got tougher and more physical and with how soft we were last year this is a welcome change in philosophy.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #16
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8094 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked it .. but I can't grade it being we need need to see results on the field ..plus what good does it do if everyone in the AFC south gets the good grades.. we need to make up ground on the foes
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #18
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Itīs a wrap. What grade would you give our draft? Hereīs how it went:

First Round

1.1 Jadeveon Clowney DE/OLB A+

Second Round

2.1 Xavier Suía-Filo G A

Third Round

3.1 C.J. Fiedorowicz TE B-

3.19 Louis Nix NT A+

Fourth Round

4.35 Tom Savage QB B-

Sixth Round

6.1 Jeoffrey Pagan DE B-

6.5 Alfred Blue HB C

6.35 Jay Prosch FB A

Seventh Round

7.1 Andre Hal CB B-

7.41 Lonnie Ballentine FS D+
Grades are next to the position.

Overall B+
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #19
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8544 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

On paper no doubt an A. The real grade will come in 2-4 years when we see how they actually play on the NFL level.
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #20
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we`ve got ourselves 5 early season starters out of this draft:

Clowney
XSF
Fiedorowicz
Nix
Prosch

Add to that 3 rotational players in

Pagan
Blue
Hal

Anf two projects in:

Savage
Ballentine

So, 5 starters, 3 rotational player, 2 guys with a buttload of talent that could help us in the future. That is a great draft in my book. Of course it never plays out this way, but I still think we`ve got a whole lot better the past 3 days.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read