Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 05-03-2014   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Arlington Texans DCFFL Mock Draft

This is my only mock draft every year. It is a particapant mock draft like the one done on this board. I have been doing it for most of the Texans' existence. There is limited trading allowed of current year draft picks only.

1.1 Jadeevon Clowney OLB/De south carolina
(for me it came down to him or Greg Robinson. If you made draft a QB it would have Manziel based soloey on the greatest upside imo)

Note between these picks. JFF fell to pick 18. that is about the range i would have tried to trade up to get him, but as i was busy doing real world stuff.

2.33 Stephon Truitt DL Notre Dame
(Another athletic guy to add to Watt/clowney)

2.54 jimmy Garoppolo QB E. Illinios
(Traded 3.1 and 4.1) Last top 5 QB on the board and did not want to chance someone else moving ahea of me. the way the draft fell though could argue that waiting for Mccarron or murray and getting them at 4.1 was value.

4.135 Terrance West RB Towson
(simple BPA for me)

5.141 Cameron fleming OT stanford

6.177 Max Bullough ILB Michigan state
(don't know what his off field things were, but BPA to me here)

6.181 Nevin Lawson CB Utah State

6.211 Michael Campanaro WR Wake forest
(slot type with injury past0

7.216 Ryan Hewitt TE stanford

7.256 Chris Boswell K Rice

UDFA (These are done in first come first serve blocks of five. I had a couple of guys already taken on my list)

Howard Jones LB sheppard
Henry Josey RB Missouri
Jalen Saunders WR Oklahoma
Jordan Navhar TE Baylor
Derrick Hopkins KR/WR South Florida
Nate Askew LB Texas A & M university
Mike Powell DK colorado State-Pueblo
Kona Schwenke DL Norte Dame

http://forums.kffl.com/threads/31093...lection-Thread
Old 05-03-2014   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arlington Texans DCFFL Mock Draft

Powe is your starter? Switch Robinson for Clowney and I'd be happy. As many think as do you I really hope he is not what I think. This is one I'd love to be wrong on.
Old 05-04-2014   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Powe is your starter? Switch Robinson for Clowney and I'd be happy. As many think as do you I really hope he is not what I think. This is one I'd love to be wrong on.
I think Robinson is nearly the physical freak that Clowney is and it was do I try to have dominate pass rush or dominate pass protection.
Old 05-04-2014   #4
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
6.177 Max Bullough ILB Michigan state
(don't know what his off field things were, but BPA to me here)
The rumors that I've heard are that he has struggled with an addiction to painkillers for some time and his parents staged an intervention with Coach Dantonio. Part of that intervention was Dantonio suspending him for the Rose Bowl. The accounts I've heard have said that this has had the intended affect and that he is doing much better now, but we will see.

Again, just rumors, but I found them convincing.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #5
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Robinson is nearly the physical freak that Clowney is and it was do I try to have dominate pass rush or dominate pass protection.
The thing about Robinson: you don`t only get dominate pass protection, you also get dominate run blocking. And I feel like Robinson is a lot safer pick as Clowney (with whom you probably don`t get dominate run defense).

I don`t think Robinson will be the pick, but I really would be happy if we`d pick him.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #6
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

With Robinson you get dominant run blocking and potential dominant pass blocking. He definitely has to develop there. Not saying I don't think he will but let's be honest in our evaluation.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it A-T, hope this or something close to it becomes reality for the Texans this week !
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2014   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Note between these picks. JFF fell to pick 18. that is about the range i would have tried to trade up to get him, but as i was busy doing real world stuff.
The Texans would probably have to use their 2015 1st in a trade up. I would do it, to secure any of the top 3 QBs. I don't know if the Texans would make that gamble, though.

Quote:
2.54 jimmy Garoppolo QB E. Illinios
(Traded 3.1 and 4.1) Last top 5 QB on the board and did not want to chance someone else moving ahea of me. the way the draft fell though could argue that waiting for Mccarron or murray and getting them at 4.1 was value.
I've watched as much of Garoppolo that's out there. I've tried to like him, he's very productive for sure. I just don't see anything that jumps out and says "NFL starting QB". Is he any better than Keenum or Yates? And I include all of the QBs outside the top 4 in this group. I think Carr will be a NFL starter, just not here. All of the rest look like backups. And I don't see the point of taking a backup until the 3rd day.

Really like the 3rd day picks. Which makes me even more convinced that the Texans shouldn't trade up and burn draft picks for a QB that's not a sure fire starter.
Old 05-04-2014   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I like it A-T, hope this or something close to it becomes reality for the Texans this week !
thank you.
Old 05-04-2014   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
robinson at 6'5 335 can do a back flip...how cool is that? Prob does not mean much but still...
Old 05-04-2014   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans would probably have to use their 2015 1st in a trade up. I would do it, to secure any of the top 3 QBs. I don't know if the Texans would make that gamble, though.

I've watched as much of Garoppolo that's out there. I've tried to like him, he's very productive for sure. I just don't see anything that jumps out and says "NFL starting QB". Is he any better than Keenum or Yates? And I include all of the QBs outside the top 4 in this group. I think Carr will be a NFL starter, just not here. All of the rest look like backups. And I don't see the point of taking a backup until the 3rd day.

Really like the 3rd day picks. Which makes me even more convinced that the Texans shouldn't trade up and burn draft picks for a QB that's not a sure fire starter.

I have seen the all-star games and one playoff game form Garoppolo and think that he has the dreaded 'potential' to be a starter. that said, one of the reasons I like participant drafts over the list mocks is that you can see how teams make mistakes. I am not an McCarron fan, but in the broadest terms, Jimmy g for two picks which should yield good football players versus taking a guy like AJ where he should be drafted is flawed.
Old 05-05-2014   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have seen the all-star games and one playoff game form Garoppolo and think that he has the dreaded 'potential' to be a starter. that said, one of the reasons I like participant drafts over the list mocks is that you can see how teams make mistakes. I am not an McCarron fan, but in the broadest terms, Jimmy g for two picks which should yield good football players versus taking a guy like AJ where he should be drafted is flawed.
In his case best resource is a scout you trust who has studied his game. Pressure under game situations is my primary focus when it comes to the QB position. I just cannot project him overcoming fear coming into the NFL & staying in the pocket making progressions. I know Johnny & Teddy can & Bortles is a big dude who can run, if he can only improve his accuracy. I'm not drinking Garoppolo

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #13
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
In his case best resource is a scout you trust who has studied his game. Pressure under game situations is my primary focus when it comes to the QB position. I just cannot project him overcoming fear coming into the NFL & staying in the pocket making progressions. I know Johnny & Teddy can & Bortles is a big dude who can run, if he can only improve his accuracy. I'm not drinking Garoppolo
So accurate. Garoppolo has some of the worst problems with phantom pressure. It's sad cause his throw mechanics are so pretty.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #14
ArlingtonTexan

BTW, the real thing has played out real close to our fake thing. Manziel fell to the mid first round w/o a known attempt for the Texans to get him. Carr is still on the board. BTW, if I had been representing any team not named the Texans I would have broken my fingers typing his name at 2.1. Honestly, hoping the Texans can find a trade down here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read