Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-09-2014   #2721
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39800 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Yep, Vikings gave up the 108th pick... we have the 101st pick.

We can only hope that this doesn't come back to haunt them.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #2722
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 8856 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Must be nice to be allowed in the war room and know what the Texans brass is doing.
Really? So you think Seattle didn't think, "Hey, the Texans need a QB too. If we call them and tell them what Minnesota is doing, maybe they'll want to do it instead?"

It doesn't require faith in the Texans, it's only requires common sense from Seattle.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #2723
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 28464 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Really? So you think Seattle didn't think, "Hey, the Texans need a QB too. If we call them and tell them what Minnesota is doing, maybe they'll want to do it instead?"

It doesn't require faith in the Texans, it's only requires common sense from Seattle.
Sorry bro, I was pissed and disappointed we were so close to getting Clowney and Teddy. You are right, Seattle would have contacted the Texans first and of course they declined.
Old 05-09-2014   #2724
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Bridgewater was diagnosed with an abnormal heart beat per kffl.
Old 05-09-2014   #2725
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 287880 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Bridgewater was diagnosed with an abnormal heart beat per kffl.
And as we all know, we want a guy at QB who is absolutely heartless.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #2726
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
What a joke franchise. The Vikings and Browns want to win, the Texans just hold tight and hope.
Is that why they drafted Ponder & Weeden? Or did drafting 1st round QBs back then not mean what it means today?

& by the way, we're a five win team without Manziel or Bridgewater, how many games would we have won with Manziel? Bridgewater?

Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved to have had Manziel. I'm kinda pissed they didn't go get him. But drafting Manziel doesn't say, "Winning" to me. Not right away anyway.
Old 05-09-2014   #2727
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Is that why they drafted Ponder & Weeden? Or did drafting 1st round QBs back then not mean what it means today?

& by the way, we're a five win team without Manziel or Bridgewater, how many games would we have won with Manziel? Bridgewater?

Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved to have had Manziel. I'm kinda pissed they didn't go get him. But drafting Manziel doesn't say, "Winning" to me. Not right away anyway.
I wanted Bridgewater at 1 ad 32,it didn't happen,so be it. As a father,I hope all these young men have great careers.

I think Mallett is in play or if we connect the dots,they can wait till the 3rd rd and get a qb. I'm not saying that guy is gonna be a franchise guy,but looking at who took qbs and who still need a qb, I see 3 teams maybe. Texans,Raiders,Titans,and maybe the cardinals. Texans can wait it out till the 3rd and get some of the other players left at 33. Or maybe 32 I a player and 3.1 is for mallet.
Old 05-09-2014   #2728
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 28464 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't understand the logic everyone is saying by downplaying Manziel/TB/Bortles. They all bring something to the table that would have changed our franchise and made us better, Manziel with his playmaking ability that we have seen destroy us countless times especially recently with Luck over in Indy, Bortles with his calm and collective manner that would have helped us get some come from behind winning drives, yeah I don't know what those look like, and Bridgewater a take charge QB who will dissect a defense and take us to the red zone as our defense gets a breather.

Sure we can stock up on more defensive picks, that has worked for us in the past right?. Lets get a late round QB since Kaepernick and Wilson are having so much success right?, seems like only those two names keep appearing when referencing Successful late round QBs.

Mallett? Sure lets make a trade, obviously Bill has groomed him to be Brady's successor now he will do us a favor and give us this freshly polished QB so we can have success instead of keeping him to replace his 37yr old qb.

Im tired of the same thing over and over again. I cant look forward to the later part of the draft because to be honest, without using Google, I cant name any legit starters we have drafted past the third round in the past three years.
Old 05-09-2014   #2729
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just don't understand the logic everyone is saying by downplaying Manziel/TB/Bortles.
To be fair, I never liked any of those guys in the first, said as much, so I'm not downplaying any of those guys. We're going to play Bortles twice. I honestly believe that's going to work in our favor. He will not ever make the pro-bowl & the Jags won't win a play-off game for the next five years. Yes, in my mind, that's what Bortles means for the Jags.

Just because you draft a QB in the first round does not mean you're going to start winning.

I guarantee you Bridgewater will not beat out Matt Cassel in Minnesota.

Quote:
Sure we can stock up on more defensive picks, that has worked for us in the past right?. Lets get a late round QB since Kaepernick and Wilson are having so much success right?, seems like only those two names keep appearing when referencing Successful late round QBs.
There isn't a QB in this draft that's anywhere near the prospect that Kaepernick or Wilson were. Even if there were, I doubt you'd be able to see them as you most likely didn't see them in 2011 & 2012 respectively.

Quote:
Im tired of the same thing over and over again. I cant look forward to the later part of the draft because to be honest, without using Google, I cant name any legit starters we have drafted past the third round in the past three years.
& there's the problem right there. We haven't been very good at developing 3rd round or later prospects. Hopefully this new staff is better at communicating what they want in a prospect than the last regime was. Hopefully some of those later picks that did not fit with the old regime; Brandon Harris, Quessenberry at OT, Ben Jones... hopefully they'll fit with what this regime wants to do.
Old 05-09-2014   #2730
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I am convinced that the Texans didn`t want him. It was easy and not very costly to get them. I don`t buy for a second, that they were surprised by the Vikings move.

So I hope I am wrong about him and the Texans are right. It is true that TB can`t make all the throws, and after reading back some scouting reports of Brady Quinn, they don`t read that different (apart from Quinn having a strong arm and a big body). Still I wish him the best, he is a good kid.

Nobody cant say if there is a Russell Wilson or Kaepernick left - because when they went of the board, they weren`t considered drops. They went, about where people expected them. Well people expect Carr, Garapolo and possibly Savage and Mettenberger in the 2nd and McCarron and possbily Murray in the 4th. Murray is most intruiging to me.

Right now Im willing to get a project somewhere down the road. Id much rather us pick best player available now, either get thet NT or RT and look for our QB of the future next season, or take a chance on Mallet.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #2731
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I guarantee you Bridgewater will not beat out Matt Cassel in Minnesota.
What comes with your guarantee when it's proven to not be guaranteed?

Quote:

There isn't a QB in this draft that's anywhere near the prospect that Kaepernick or Wilson were. Even if there were, I doubt you'd be able to see them as you most likely didn't see them in 2011 & 2012 respectively.
100% false.

Quote:
& there's the problem right there. We haven't been very good at developing 3rd round or later prospects. Hopefully this new staff is better at communicating what they want in a prospect than the last regime was. Hopefully some of those later picks that did not fit with the old regime; Brandon Harris, Quessenberry at OT, Ben Jones... hopefully they'll fit with what this regime wants to do.
You can't fix bad. Most of those picks the last several years were bad picks. It doesn't matter who gets their hands on Brandon Harris. The guy can't play in the NFL. And we traded up to draft him in the 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
So I hope I am wrong about him and the Texans are right. It is true that TB can`t make all the throws, and after reading back some scouting reports of Brady Quinn, they don`t read that different (apart from Quinn having a strong arm and a big body). Still I wish him the best, he is a good kid.
What? Strong arm and big body are TBs only knocks, so therefore they shouldn't read close at all. Quinn's biggest problem was you can't throw a football from your back. And when you have no footwork or pocket presence this is where you end up throwing the football generally. That's one of TBs strongest qualities.

If you're gonna compare Quinn to anyone that plays nothing like him compare to him Manziel.

Browns QBs drafted at #22: Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, and now JFF.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #2732
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 8856 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sorry bro, I was pissed and disappointed we were so close to getting Clowney and Teddy. You are right, Seattle would have contacted the Texans first and of course they declined.
No worries. I think it is more likely that Bridgewater turns into a starting QB, so I understand the dissapointment. But we would have been dissapointed at 33 too.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #2733
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

when he becomes the poor man's Jeff Garcia you guys will be over him. Don't waste too much energy here.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #2734
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49032 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This dude wasn't the real deal. Glad the Texans were wise enough to see it.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #2735
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What a joke franchise. The Vikings and Browns want to win, the Texans just hold tight and hope. What Clowns. Texans will win 5 games next year and McNair will give a 14 year extension to BoB. 0.9 seconds. This is Houston sports.
Both of those teams have drafted QBs in the past 5 years that turned out to be garbage. What leads you to believe this time it will work? Unless I've missed something the Texans have more playoff appearances and wins than the Browns.

Our scouts and coaches didn't see much separation between the top 3 and the next group. Why give up draft picks to select someone that a lot of top NFL brass think isn't going to cut it as a starting QB? Maybe they'll be great, but if I had to bet I'd say neither are All-Pros.
Old 05-09-2014   #2736
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 142574 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
It's a pretty reasonable assumption, actually. The Seahawks surely wanted the most they could get for the pick, so they more than likely didn't take the Vikings deal at first offer. They more than likely shopped it. Why wouldn't they shop it to the team coming up next to try and get more for the pick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Yep, Vikings gave up the 108th pick... we have the 101st pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post

Actually, New England's phone is always open. It wouldn't have cost a fortune.

Quote:
I just don't understand the logic everyone is saying by downplaying Manziel/TB/Bortles. They all bring something to the table that would have changed our franchise and made us better.
Yep. I'm waiting for the Texans to make their "reach" pick for a QB and tell us it was who they wanted all along. They misssed a GOLDEN chance, and while irritated about it, I can't say I'm surprised.

Quote:
100% false.
So, you know who'll be as good / better than Kaepernick and Wilson from the 2nd round on? If you can, you shouldn't be on here with us, but on a scouting team for an NFL franchise.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2737
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, very early but Teddy looks like the real deal. He looks great. I think BOB and Smith screwed the pooch by not giving up a late round pick to draft him.
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2738
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Yes, very early but Teddy looks like the real deal. He looks great. I think BOB and Smith screwed the pooch by not giving up a late round pick to draft him.
He could go on to win the Super Bowl for all I care... I'm not interested, never was. I don't mind being wrong, I'd rather be wrong & go down making decisions my gut tells me, than to go down reaching for a QB I don't believe in.

& I think it's pretty obvious he didn't believe in TeddyB.

I doubt OB will get fired if Bridgewater wins a Super Bowl. I don't believe Teddy winning a Super Bowl will prevent OB from winning a Super Bowl. He may very well have got fired if he drafted Bridgewater & couldn't make it work.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2739
BigB0iFresh
Veteran

Rep Power: 1335 BigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He could go on to win the Super Bowl for all I care... I'm not interested, never was. I don't mind being wrong, I'd rather be wrong & go down making decisions my gut tells me, than to go down reaching for a QB I don't believe in.

& I think it's pretty obvious he didn't believe in TeddyB.

I doubt OB will get fired if Bridgewater wins a Super Bowl. I don't believe Teddy winning a Super Bowl will prevent OB from winning a Super Bowl. He may very well have got fired if he drafted Bridgewater & couldn't make it work.
Would trading from 33 to 32 really be considered reaching?
BigB0iFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2740
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

That makes no sense, because if teddy, who i wanted badly, becomes the next drew brees, i guarantee you that bob will and should be held to the fire for not considering Teddy when the Texans NEEDED A QB BADLY. Coaches get fired for decisions like that all the damn time.
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read