Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-04-2014   #341
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 NFL Draft chatter/rumors/news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
McShay went public with something I had been kicking around...

Falcons trade up with Rams.

Texans and Falcons swap #1 &#2.

Brings some interesting scenarios to the fore.
Moving up twice? That sounds expensive for the Falcons.
Old 05-04-2014   #342
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
My guess is that by doing it in "chunks' it is cheaper (even if not a lot) than going straight to the number 1 pick. Only reason it makes sense to me.
Old 05-04-2014   #343
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My guess is that by doing it in "chunks' it is cheaper (even if not a lot) than going straight to the number 1 pick. Only reason it makes sense to me.
Old 05-04-2014   #344
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Or maybe they are going with the "Draft Day" school of thought as practiced by GM Kevin Costner ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #345
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the reason it would happen is because the Texans don't want to move all the way to #6. There would be 3 QB hungry teams (Jags, Browns, Raiders) above them. Maybe some people are certain that these teams are passing on QBs in the 1st round. But the Texans aren't.

What would the Falcons have left to trade after moving from #6 to #2? I would assume the Rams would ask for at least their 2nd and 3rd. What would be left after that? 2015 picks? The Falcons would be mortgaging 2 drafts to get one guy. It's been done. But like I said, that's very pricey.
Old 05-04-2014   #346
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Or maybe they are going with the "Draft Day" school of thought as practiced by GM Kevin Costner ?
Can you explain this without spoiling the movie for those who have yet to see it (like me)?
Old 05-04-2014   #347
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the reason it would happen is because the Texans don't want to move all the way to #6. There would be 3 QB hungry teams (Jags, Browns, Raiders) above them. Maybe some people are certain that these teams are passing on QBs in the 1st round. But the Texans aren't.

What would the Falcons have left to trade after moving from #6 to #2? I would assume the Rams would ask for at least their 2nd and 3rd. What would be left after that? 2015 picks? The Falcons would be mortgaging 2 drafts to get one guy. It's been done. But like I said, that's very pricey.
Seems like it would cost a lot but if Texans don't want Clowney and do get second pick AND the same player they want at first, then just about anything would be gravy. Not sure if Atlanta would give up 1,2 & 3 this draft + prob a 2015 second to Texans?
Old 05-05-2014   #348
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can you explain this without spoiling the movie for those who have yet to see it (like me)?
There are some "trades" made by GM Costner and other GMs in this "movie" which aren't totally realistic, and I'll just leave it at that. Nevertheless I'd recommend the movie. It's kinda corny, but still with Costner and Garner along with some good supporting actors it's a strong cast and I found it entertaining with some especially enjoyable moments, including one when I almost teared a little but that was because they were playing a rousing marching band tune while showing a great shot of Reliant/NRG stadium.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #349
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it's more of a case of McShay being McShay, which is mostly wrong.
Old 05-05-2014   #350
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
There are some "trades" made by GM Costner and other GMs in this "movie" which aren't totally realistic, and I'll just leave it at that. Nevertheless I'd recommend the movie. It's kinda corny, but still with Costner and Garner along with some good supporting actors it's a strong cast and I found it entertaining with some especially enjoyable moments, including one when I almost teared a little but that was because they were playing a rousing marching band tune while showing a great shot of Reliant/NRG stadium.
I thought that they used some real draft stuff as an outline . I can see Anthony Moreno being Daniel Snyderish in wanting to make a splash . Moreno and Costner were at a amusement park when he told Costner to make a splash and Snyder owned Astroworld before he closed it .

I thought the funny thing is capturing a GM on draft day as his real life gets in the way . It's predictable but interesting so I give it a thumbs up .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #351
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I thought that they used some real draft stuff as an outline . I can see Anthony Moreno being Daniel Snyderish in wanting to make a splash . Moreno and Costner were at a amusement park when he told Costner to make a splash and Snyder owned Astroworld before he closed it .

I thought the funny thing is capturing a GM on draft day as his real life gets in the way . It's predictable but interesting so I give it a thumbs up .
I can agree with this. Moreno seemed like a combination of Snyder, Jerrah and Al Davis to me.
Old 05-05-2014   #352
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
Quote:
Chip Kelly wanted Manziel at Oregon. "He was tailor made for (my O). He broke my heart. Hell of a football player": http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-love-the-kid/

ESPN's Field Yates on NFL Insiders: "There has been some buzz in league circles about the #Eagles interest in Johnny Manziel."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #353
ArlingtonTexan

Well, maybe the bills have called us

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-no-1-or-no-2/
Old 05-07-2014   #354
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, maybe the bills have called us

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-no-1-or-no-2/
#9 is a tough one. Most of the premier talent might be gone. Evans might still be there, maybe a QB we like. But if the offer is really good, I guess I´d do it.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #355
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
#9 is a tough one. Most of the premier talent might be gone. Evans might still be there, maybe a QB we like. But if the offer is really good, I guess I´d do it.
I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Lots of good players in this draft.
Old 05-07-2014   #356
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Lots of good players in this draft.
Yep, LOTS of good players/nobody really above the rest.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #357
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 12954 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

Holy crap tomorrow night it's on, seemed like it took forever. I'm ready to see a thread title of first day draft night discussions.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #358
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Thing to focus on is the greater the drop from #1 the larger the offer.
Old 05-07-2014   #359
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

my sources are telling me that clowney is the pick at 1, unless we trade down. source said that bob mcnair knows this is the pick at 1.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #360
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
McShay went public with something I had been kicking around...

Falcons trade up with Rams.

Texans and Falcons swap #1 .

Brings some interesting scenarios to the fore.
now why would this happen? explain
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read