Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-26-2013   #741
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
That's a gamble worth taking.

Being stride for stride with a receiver doesn't guarantee a DB can make a play if he doesn't know where or when the ball would come down. At least if he played the ball the only way he get beat is by a perfect pass. If he play his man he can get beat by a well-placed pass, he could get beat by him suddenly stopping and jumping back to get the ball, OR get beat by being called for running into the receiver.
I'd be irate if that was one of our CBs. Unless a safety totally blew his responsibility, there's no way he should have allowed Hop to get behind him like that.

He's beat.

If he's beat he needs to be working on catching up, not looking for an underthrown ball.

Again..... I don't have a problem with a DB playing the ball, unless he's beat. If he is beat, he has no business looking for the ball.

Time for gambling is over. At the time that guy looked for the ball he's hoping the QB doesn't see this wide open guy in the end zone.
Old 04-21-2014   #742
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Just trying to get this discussion out of the Swearinger thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I guess you didn't watch many Viking games then. He was more impressive in every way over Hopkins. Plenty of nice plays from scrimmage and for extra credit you can enjoy the rac that Hopkins only dreams about at 2:17 where he takes the pitch lined up as a rb from the I formation and scores. Reality and versitility trumps imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Y9Tee8vbs
I guess it all depends on what you're looking for from your players.

So far, I don't see Cordarrelle Patterson as a WR. That's fine, he was a rookie & normally it takes a while for a rookie to establish himself as a WR.

I am old school & to me, a WR is your deep threats, I want to see 14+ ypc. It doesn't matter to me whether it's YAC, or just catching the ball 14+ yards down the field.

Well, Wes Welker doesn't get a 14+ ypc, never has, & he's clearly a WR...

So clearly there are exceptions to the rule. But I'd never acquire Wes Welker, consistently line him up outside & expect him to stretch the field.

Maybe Patterson can become that type of player, but there aren't a lot of those guys that are successful in the NFL for very long... I wouldn't use a first round pick on them. Darren Sproles & Wes Welker are the only two that I would consider as successful over a long period of time. You've got Percy Harvin & Dexter McCluster, but they've got to put some time in... & I'd really like to see Wes Welker continue his streak outside of New England, because while he was a great role player in Miami, I never thought he would have the success he had, or become that focal point of an offense like he did in New England.

So yeah, if you're looking for a Percy Harvin type football player, Patterson is probably that guy & he had a great rookie season being that guy. But if you're looking for a WR, someone to stretch the field & make the defense honor every blade of grass... DeAndre is much better at that than Percy Harvin (which would be like having a running back with 500 yards receiving... but if we get a healthy Arian back... )
Old 04-21-2014   #743
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
They also have/had guys with world class speed to stretch the field. (Moss/Bethel Johnson/Slater etc.... Who is currently on the roster with that kind of speed at any position including ST's? Johnson was a gunner/KR/PR guy. Slater is one of the best ST's guys in the NFL.

Also the Pats have had a RB in each of the 5 yr cycles that are very fast and contribute on ST's Faulk/Woodhead/Vereen.

So yes, the Pats have a system but they adapt their system to fit their players. This is the reason I think a Sims/Archer would be great fits in BOB's offense.
I don't know about that. Seems like you're saying they adapt the production they get out of the players... WRs stretch the field, with the exception of Welker, who was used more like a Joker TE...

To me, if you've got an offense where your best WR averages less than 13 ypc, then you've got a problem at WR. They aren't performing their function. We were looking for someone who would force the secondary to think about someone other than Andre Johnson. DeAndre does that. Patterson may be able to do that & in our system, maybe he would have. But his performance in 2013 doesn't lead you to believe that.

In the future, if his numbers get closer to 13 ypc then I'll say we made a mistake (if DeAndre's numbers fall).

But you're right, it depends on what you want from the players you pick.
Old 04-21-2014   #744
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111636 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is this the only thread in archive?
Old 04-25-2014   #745
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know about that. Seems like you're saying they adapt the production they get out of the players... WRs stretch the field, with the exception of Welker, who was used more like a Joker TE...

To me, if you've got an offense where your best WR averages less than 13 ypc, then you've got a problem at WR. They aren't performing their function. We were looking for someone who would force the secondary to think about someone other than Andre Johnson. DeAndre does that. Patterson may be able to do that & in our system, maybe he would have. But his performance in 2013 doesn't lead you to believe that.

In the future, if his numbers get closer to 13 ypc then I'll say we made a mistake (if DeAndre's numbers fall).

But you're right, it depends on what you want from the players you pick.
I want players other teams fear.

Do defenses really fear Hopkins?

Do they fear Patterson ?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #746
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:

Do they fear Patterson ?
They don't fear patterson either. To me, Hunter is that dude. He's a tall,fast guy with hands. He will never probably be a 90rec guys,but he will be a 70 rec 1200 yd type.
Old 05-07-2014   #747
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Do they fear Patterson ?
If we get a QB that will throw him a good fade pass in the endzone, they dang sure will. Schaub's unwillingness to look for him (often enough) in this regard was probably part of his downfall.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #748
bash
Rookie

Rep Power: 849 bash is a quality contributor and well respectedbash is a quality contributor and well respectedbash is a quality contributor and well respectedbash is a quality contributor and well respectedbash is a quality contributor and well respectedbash is a quality contributor and well respectedbash is a quality contributor and well respectedbash is a quality contributor and well respectedbash is a quality contributor and well respectedbash is a quality contributor and well respectedbash is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Deandre Hopkins?

any updates? i know aj isnt happy, so now he must ve zat number von
bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #749
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 12626 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Deandre Hopkins?

Deandre is a grown man, and I'm sure will take a hold of the situation in his own hands.
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #750
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, he's an adult and hopefully he'll take hold of the situation in his own hands..... and this time it won't end up in a picture posted to twitter.
Old 05-19-2014   #751
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I could've sworn the first time I came into this thread Hopkins was being accused of having a child with the OP's co-worker....
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #752
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I could've sworn the first time I came into this thread Hopkins was being accused of having a child with the OP's co-worker....
You ain't crazy, man. I saw the same thing, too. OP just switched the topic with no warning.
Old 05-19-2014   #753
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
any updates? i know aj isnt happy, so now he must ve zat number von
Dyslexia ?

It's my friend.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read