Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-06-2014   #1221
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftNick View Post
The tight end was pretty much assigned to double Clowney all game. That being said Clowney was definitely taking plays off which concerns me. Say what you will about not wanting to get hurt, etc., but I just don’t like that attitude in any athlete and attitude is not easy to coach.

Bortles made some mistakes and poor decisions, but what NFL quarterback (including the Bradys, Mannings, etc.) hasn’t on any given Sunday. Also this game was early in the season against the #6 team (at the time) in the country. Bortles has a ways to go, but I would love to see what O'Brien could do with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I agree, he is intruiging. Like I said, he has all the tools and prototypical size. He is tough to bring down, he is a good runner, he has a good arm, he can evade pressure and he plays best when the game is on the line. I think every QB coach would like to work with a guy like that, because they are probably sure, that they can turn him into a star. He has that potential.

But he has a huge bust potential as well. No, Manning doesnt do the kind of mistakes Bortles does in this game (not that Bortles has to be on Mannings level yet). Some throws were really bad decisions, other throws were really inaccurate (and I am not talking about long balls). Those things are coachable - but those are things that have to improve for him to have any kind of career. The way he played in that game, he would`ve been killed in the NFL.

Like I said, Bortles should sit his first year - he just still has a lot to learn. Boom or bust player.
And what is the most important factor for me is his cool, calm and collected demeanor in delivering 4 game winning drives. The kid wants the ball in his hands in pressure situations and he delivers. You can't coach that. Either you have that mental makeup or you don't. It was this mental makeup that led Bill Walsh to draft Joe Montana and Bill Belichick to draft Tom Brady.
Old 05-06-2014   #1222
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
And what is the most important factor for me is his cool, calm and collected demeanor in delivering 4 game winning drives. The kid wants the ball in his hands in pressure situations and he delivers. You can't coach that. Either you have that mental makeup or you don't. It was this mental makeup that led Bill Walsh to draft Joe Montana and Bill Belichick to draft Tom Brady.
I agree, that`s what makes him the most intriguing. Pair that up with his size, his arm and the ability to make all the throws and you have a great prospect. But for me there are too many question marks around him to consider him with the first pick or even at the beginning of the first round. But if we take him, Ill be happy with all the potential.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #1223
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Peter King has Bortles @ 26.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/06/nfl-mo...ouston-texans/
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #1224
DraftNick
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 DraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
He also has Manziel at #7, Carr at # 20 and no Bidgewater in first round, so....
DraftNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #1225
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I agree, that`s what makes him the most intriguing. Pair that up with his size, his arm and the ability to make all the throws and you have a great prospect. But for me there are too many question marks around him to consider him with the first pick or even at the beginning of the first round. But if we take him, Ill be happy with all the potential.
My thought process is if you have a guy who is often compared to Montana, Brady, Roethlisberger and Luck in his mental makeup, size, arm and running ability and has been able to do what Bortles has done in college in only 2 years as a starter, you got to take that chance. If he does turnout to be a composition of Montana, Brady, Roethlisberger and Luck and you pass on him it will be the biggest blunder in franchise history. Even worse is if Jacksonville drafts Bortles and he is the 2nd coming of Roethlisberger and Luck, what a headache for the Texans facing that and Andrew Luck 4 times a year. GOOD GRIEF!!!!

Last edited by Texian; 05-06-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #1226
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
My thought process is if you have a guy who is often compared to Montana, Brady, Roethlisberger and Luck in his mental makeup, size, arm and running ability and has been able to do what Bortles has done in college in only 2 years, you got to take that chance. If he does turnout to be a composition of Montana, Brady, Roethlisberger and Luck and you pass on him it will be the biggest blunder in franchise history. Even worse is if Jacksonville drafts Bortles and he is the 2nd coming of Roethlisberger and Luck, what a headache for the Texans facing that and Andrew Luck 4 times a year. GOOD GRIEF!!!!
Yeah, but the same could be said about Manziel and Bridgewater. Manziel could be a whole new kind of star that wins several MVPs in a row - Bridgewater could have Mannings football IQ, decision making and accuracy inside 20 yards. Right now we don`t know if any of these QBs turn out good. The question is: who do you wanna take a chance on, and at what draft position are you comfortable with that.

Since several mock drafts have both Bridgewater and Manziel dropping (others have Bortles dropping), I guess Id take bpa with #1 (Clowney or Robinson for me) and trade back up to get, whoever is left on the board late in the first. But my favorite guy out of the 3 is Bridgewater.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #1227
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
If Bortles is still available at 20 I think Rick Smith calls Ted Thompson about trading into the #21 pick. Needs to beat out Chiefs 23, Bengals 24 and Browns 26,
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #1228
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think that Locker and Bortles are very similar. For all his faults, there was always a lot to like about Locker. He just needed to be coached up properly. I would say that Locker is a poor man's version of Bortles.
Agreed. I've compared him to Locker throughout the process although he is a lot further along as a passer which is why I have also compared him to Tannehill, who is a more natural thrower than Locker.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #1229
DraftNick
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 DraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respectedDraftNick is a quality contributor and well respected

Rutgers players provide scouting report on top QB prospects:

The Scarlet Knights faced Central Florida's Blake Bortles, Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and Fresno State's David Carr last season. All of the quarterbacks had their way with Rutgers, contributing to the worst pass defense in school history. "The best one to me was Blake Bortles," defensive tackle Darius Hamilton said. "I just felt like not only was he a great player, but he made his team a lot better. They were a good team, don't get me wrong, but I just feel like he was the quarterback who made his team a lot better."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...prospects.html
Old 05-07-2014   #1230
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftNick View Post
Rutgers players provide scouting report on top QB prospects:

The Scarlet Knights faced Central Florida's Blake Bortles, Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and Fresno State's David Carr last season. All of the quarterbacks had their way with Rutgers, contributing to the worst pass defense in school history. "The best one to me was Blake Bortles," defensive tackle Darius Hamilton said. "I just felt like not only was he a great player, but he made his team a lot better. They were a good team, don't get me wrong, but I just feel like he was the quarterback who made his team a lot better."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...prospects.html

Repped.

It's got quotes about Bridgewater and Carr too.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #1231
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Teddy and Blake playing 60.

Bortles showing midget reporters one of his QB traits...

Last edited by Playoffs; 05-07-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #1232
DraftNick
Rookie

Radio Interview with Bortles:

Don't tell UCF quarterback Blake Bortles that a college education isn't valuable.

It's so valuable, in fact, that Bortles says that the first big-ticket item he will buy after signing an NFL contract is not a fancy car or a big house but his little brother's college education.

The UCF quarterback, who is expected to be a top pick in Thursday's NFL draft, is very close to his brother Colby -- a freshman infielder who is on a partial baseball scholarship at Ole Miss.

"Those baseball scholarships are funky," Bortles said Wednesday on our Open Mike radio show, "so the first big thing I'm going to pay for is the rest of my brother's college education."

video.orlandosentinel.com?freewheel=90022&sitesect ion=seorlandosentinel&VID=25964972
Old 05-07-2014   #1233
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

And, of course, the obligatory 'Blake Bortles' Google search result...

Old 05-07-2014   #1234
DraftNick
Rookie

Ben Roethlisberger would choose Blake Bortles over Johnny Manziel

I talked to Blake, and I know Blake has that fiery chip, Roethlisberger said on 93.7 FM in Pittsburgh, via the Tribune Review. I think he's going to be the best one of the group because I see something in him, his competitiveness, his leadership. And I think he's got a lot of upside.

But that's not to say Roethlisberger doesn't think Manziel can find professional success. He even said Manziel could be a star early in his career. What Roethlisberger worries about, though, is the long-term viability of allowing Manziel to make plays outside of the pocket.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...johnny-manziel
Old 05-07-2014   #1235
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

^ Forgot to mention they share the same agent. So of course he'd take Bortles.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #1236
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
^ Forgot to mention they share the same agent. So of course he'd take Bortles.
I don't see what that has to do with anything. They aren't some team. They're just individual athletes that get their deals through the same guy.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #1237
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I don't see what that has to do with anything. They aren't some team. They're just individual athletes that get their deals through the same guy.
au contraire mon frere, team Rep1 Sports is like a family, ask big ben.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #1238
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/08/2014-n...ft-peter-king/
Quote:
I think there’s a team with a very good veteran quarterback in his 30s that loves Blake Bortles. Just loves him. And if Bortles somehow falls into the twenties, this team is going to try to trade for a pick to get him.
Old 05-08-2014   #1239
Texian
Hall of Fame

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 25m

Bortles is believed to be the top QB on the board for the #Raiders, but not getting a feeling that they would draft a QB at #5.

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 32m

---> @RapSheet: @mikefreemanNFL Bortles is the top QB on the #Cowboys board.
Old 05-08-2014   #1240
DraftNick
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I don't think he'll make it to the 20s, but probably referring to Pats or Broncos.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read