Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2014   #261
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Baseball > Football, so...
baseball > FOOTBALL?!?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014   #262
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

It's the lack of depth that is killing our team and that falls squarely on the shoulders of Rick Smith. Bad draft after bad draft. Smith may have put us back more than three years.

We drafted an already hurt Clowney who then got hurt in training camp who then got hurt in the first game, a second round pick that can't beat out Ben Jones for playing time, and a 3rd round pick that couldn't beat out Powe, then came down with a mysterious case of IR.

I would trade anyone of those picks for a Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel, Garoppolo. We could have had any one of those players but Smith got out played and out maneuvered and now we are stuck with Shitzpatrick.

Our last years draft class has all been cut for the exception of DHop, Swag, and Griffin.

2012 draft class - Mercilus was a project and is a backup at best, Posey can't sniff the field, Jones is trash, Martin is below average, Brooks is a solid Guard, Crick is trash, Bullock improved, who is Mondeck?

2011 draft class only Watt, Reed, and Newton are still on the team.

The only player left from the 2010 draft is KJax

And don't get me started on his lack of cap management and bad FA signings.

And Ultimately not signing Manning was a Rick Smith decision. For that alone he should have been fired.

Rick Smith should have been fired with Kubiak.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014   #263
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
It's the lack of depth that is killing our team and that falls squarely on the shoulders of Rick Smith. Bad draft after bad draft. Smith may have put us back more than three years.

Is this a new post? I feel like I have read this before like a few years ago...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014   #264
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's the lack of depth that is killing our team and that falls squarely on the shoulders of Rick Smith.
Really, no really? Lack of depth was what killed us today?

Last I checked Fitz was a starter.
Old 10-05-2014   #265
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Yeah but if the depth behind him were better then he wouldn't be starting so......yeah.

The depth on this team does suck at many positions. But it's pretty damn obvious that we are hurting the most at the starting QB position.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014   #266
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
Is this a new post? I feel like I have read this before like a few years ago...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
technically its a new post
it's just the same song the anti-Smithiak crowd has been singing for years
they're still angry we didn't boot out the matched set

we keep telling them that Smith is a deal broker; it's the coaches that actually do the personnel selecting on draft day
Old 10-05-2014   #267
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Fitz is enemy number 1 and you will get no arguments from me. But look at our team, once you get past our stars there is nobody. We have no TE's, no slot receiver, no pass rush outside JJ Watt, no ILB's, no OLB's, and we are one injury away in the secondary from pulling a fan from the stands and suiting them up for the game.

Old 10-05-2014   #268
corytx8
Veteran

Rep Power: 11234 corytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We drafted an already hurt Clowney who then got hurt in training camp who then got hurt in the first game, a second round pick that can't beat out Ben Jones for playing time, and a 3rd round pick that couldn't beat out Powe, then came down with a mysterious case of IR.

I would trade anyone of those picks for a Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel, Garoppolo. We could have had any one of those players but Smith got out played and out maneuvered and now we are stuck with Shitzpatrick.

Our last years draft class has all been cut for the exception of DHop, Swag, and Griffin.

2012 draft class - Mercilus was a project and is a backup at best, Posey can't sniff the field, Jones is trash, Martin is below average, Brooks is a solid Guard, Crick is trash, Bullock improved, who is Mondeck?

2011 draft class only Watt, Reed, and Newton are still on the team.

The only player left from the 2010 draft is KJax

And don't get me started on his lack of cap management and bad FA signings.

And Ultimately not signing Manning was a Rick Smith decision. For that alone he should have been fired.

Rick Smith should have been fired with Kubiak.

Depth was not the team problem today. Piss poor offensive play was today.
corytx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014   #269
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Yeah but if the depth behind him were better then he wouldn't be starting so......yeah.

The depth on this team does suck at many positions. But it's pretty damn obvious that we are hurting the most at the starting QB position.
Or OB is simply screwing up on QB.

Quote:
Fitz is enemy number 1 and you will get no arguments from me. But look at our team, once you get past our stars there is nobody. We have no TE's, no slot receiver, no pass rush outside JJ Watt, no ILB's, no OLB's, and we are one injury away in the secondary from pulling a fan from the stands and suiting them up for the game.
We have TEs who either aren't released or aren't seen. We have a QB who only sees AJ, Hopkins and Foster. Clowney is out. Cushing is getting better each game. We're 4 injuries into the secondary depth and holding up decently. JJo had basically perfect play on the long Dez reception except for the result and he's a starter so again not depth. We were once again playing 12 yards off the line when it was 3rd and 8. This loss was on starters at coach and QB far more than depth.
Old 10-05-2014   #270
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
technically its a new post
it's just the same song the anti-Smithiak crowd has been singing for years
they're still angry we didn't boot out the matched set

we keep telling them that Smith is a deal broker; it's the coaches that actually do the personnel selecting on draft day
Quote:
"He has the final say just as coach has the final say on the roster, but it's in collaboration with the other," McNair said. "So they have to work with each other. If there's a dispute, they come to me. They'll work together, that won't be an issue. The person selecting the personnel has to know what the coach wants. ...If you give him something he doesn't want, he's not going to play him. He'll sit on the bench. We don't have a winning organization doing that. So they have to work together and vice versa. Once a GM has got the personnel there and gives them to the coach, coach has gotta play them."
http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texa...ame/bob-mcnair

This is all Rick Smith. O'Brien is not Mr. Awshucks and throws himself under the bus like Kubiak would. You are witnessing O'Brien not playing the players he didn't want. He practically cut the entire 2013 class when he got here and has pretty much refused to play the 2014 class.

Smith is an awful talent evaluator and has no clue on how to put a roster together. Hopefully McNair will finally see that and get rid of him before he continues to destroy this team.

Old 10-05-2014   #271
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texa...ame/bob-mcnair

This is all Rick Smith. O'Brien is not Mr. Awshucks and throws himself under the bus like Kubiak would. You are witnessing O'Brien not playing the players he didn't want. He practically cut the entire 2013 class when he got here and has pretty much refused to play the 2014 class.

Smith is an awful talent evaluator and has no clue on how to put a roster together. Hopefully McNair will finally see that and get rid of him before he continues to destroy this team.
did you not absorb the part where McNair said if Smith doesn't draft who the coaches want, they won't play those guys???
No one is on that roster that O'Brien and/or Crennel didn't agree to.
That post proves it to me.
Thank you for proving my point.
Old 10-05-2014   #272
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
did you not absorb the part where McNair said if Smith doesn't draft who the coaches want, they won't play those guys???
No one is on that roster that O'Brien and/or Crennel didn't agree to.
That post proves it to me.
Thank you for proving my point.
Did you not absorb the part where Smith has the final say? Did you not absorb the part where McNair said if Smith did not draft the guys the coach wants the coach won't play them?

Where is Su?
Where is Nix?
Where is Savage?
Where is CJ?
Where is Pagan?

Where is the 2013 draft class under Kubiak or O'Brien?

Smith=Casserly without the charisma.

Old 10-05-2014   #273
corytx8
Veteran

Rep Power: 11234 corytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you not absorb the part where Smith has the final say? Did you not absorb the part where McNair said if Smith did not draft the guys the coach wants the coach won't play them?

Where is Su?
Where is Nix?
Where is Savage?
Where is CJ?
Where is Pagan?

Where is the 2013 draft class under Kubiak or O'Brien?

Smith=Casserly without the charisma.
Damn man, I feel you about the 2013 class being a bust. But you have to let a rookie class get their feet wet man. If you had hope for everyone of these rookies to be pro bowlers, you are setting yourself up for failure. If you are expecting a GM to hit on every single draft pick, you are setting yourself up for failure. Every single GM has missed on draft picks. The fact is, I bet you have been rooting for the Texans to lose probably so that it will give you a reason to go on this rant. GET OVER IT MAN! Draft has came and went, its done!
Old 10-06-2014   #274
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by corytx8 View Post
Damn man, I feel you about the 2013 class being a bust. But you have to let a rookie class get their feet wet man. If you had hope for everyone of these rookies to be pro bowlers, you are setting yourself up for failure. If you are expecting a GM to hit on every single draft pick, you are setting yourself up for failure. Every single GM has missed on draft picks. The fact is, I bet you have been rooting for the Texans to lose probably so that it will give you a reason to go on this rant. GET OVER IT MAN! Draft has came and went, its done!
If you think I am rooting for the Texans to lose you don't know jack about me. I take every win and loss personally. But.....go look up Smith's draft history from 2007-current. It's not good. Especially when you sell the public you build your team through the draft.

Old 10-06-2014   #275
corytx8
Veteran

Quote:
If you think I am rooting for the Texans to lose you don't know jack about me. I take every win and loss personally. But.....go look up Smith's draft history from 2007-current. It's not good. Especially when you sell the public you build your team through the draft.

You can say the same for a lot of GM's out there and it's a tired argument. There are multiple reasons reasons why the Texans haven't seen a lot of success. Missing on draft picks isn't one of them. Every GM in the league misses on draft picks.
Old 10-06-2014   #276
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by corytx8 View Post
You can say the same for a lot of GM's out there and it's a tired argument. There are multiple reasons reasons why the Texans haven't seen a lot of success. Missing on draft picks isn't one of them. Every GM in the league misses on draft picks.
To say that every GM misses on draft picks is like saying water is wet. Rick Smith not only misses on draft picks, on FA signings, and managing the cap, he also Shits the bed every year like clock work.

Old 10-06-2014   #277
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

The Rick Smith issue falls on McNair's head. He let Gary dictate who
the GM was. That's a no-no.

In my opinion, the owner (who is better at the management side than
the talent side) should focus on making the best GM hire possible.

Then, after he's made the pick, let THAT guy hire a coach.

It's a recipe that has worked well in the past, so it will probably do so
again.

At this point I would say I feel much more comfortable letting McNair
pick a GM then I would picking another coach.

Let's just join hands and hope that BoB "blossoms" into the next
Payton, Harbaugh, or _fill in the blank_ X's & O's guru.

Last edited by speedfreek; 10-06-2014 at 12:52 AM.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014   #278
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37668 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread always gets bumped after a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014   #279
corytx8
Veteran

Quote:
To say that every GM misses on draft picks is like saying water is wet. Rick Smith not only misses on draft picks, on FA signings, and managing the cap, he also Shits the bed every year like clock work.

It's the truth and I know it hurts. Hindsight is 20/20 though. We had a lot of good players to retain and we had a shot and went for it and missed. It seems like we have a lot of bad signings due to those key players getting hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
Old 10-06-2014   #280
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

has long has rick smith is our GM we wont be winning anything OKTHXBYE
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read