Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2014   #241
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 33633 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Sniff, sniff... smells like Robinson @ #1 to me
Or Gilbert at #6.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #242
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
"Enlightening."- I wonder how so?
RAC educating Rick on how he runs and can run his defense -- which is new to Rick, and what kind of players/bodies he requires. Has Rick ever had a defense that lined up in 3-4 and a 4-3 in the same game?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #243
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
But I thought McNair was a hands off owner?

Bottom line is if the owner respects his GM's opinions he will most likely go along with the GM's decisions. It seems as though McNair is totally in charge, yet never held accountable by the fanbase. (Accountable, there goes that word again)

I know that in most fans on this MB McNair can do no wrong, but his management style is the root of the Texans on field product problems. But his management style sure does make him a lot of $$$$ and that's what it's really all about isn't it?
McNair has been meddling in draft matters since he decided on David Carr for our ultimate 1-1 and has never quit meddling.

He's not on the Jerry Jones level of running the entire draft obviously, but I'm convinced that he was the reason Carr and Schaub got the contract extensions they received, that he (McNair) was the driving force behind getting Ed Reed, and that he wanted to reward Foster with a large contract for services rendered because he led the league in rushing and rushing TDs while being paid UDFA money.

Now I can't prove a word of it because they speak very fluent coach-speak over on Kirby. They all have mastered the art of making complete and very intelligent-sounding sentences that have very little concrete content.
I'm just going with my gut.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #244
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
Or Gilbert at #6.
Or Matthews...
Old 05-01-2014   #245
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
RAC educating Rick on how he runs and can run his defense -- which is new to Rick, and what kind of players/bodies he requires. Has Rick ever had a defense that lined up in 3-4 and a 4-3 in the same game?
I was thinking more of "These guys suck! What was Wade thinking?"
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #246
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Has Rick ever had a defense that lined up in 3-4 and a 4-3 in the same game?
We showed 3-4 fronts all the time with Frank Bush & Wade definitely went back & forth all the time.

Unrelated, here's a 1-1 with Rick
Old 05-01-2014   #247
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sniff, sniff... smells like Robinson @ #1 to me
Rather have Matthews. He played both RT and LT, and also had to pass block for a guy who improvised. Bloodline non-withstanding I put my money on him having the best career of any OL coming out of this draft.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #248
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude.

We were doing that under Wade. We just weren't running a "standard" 3-4... more of a tweaked 5-2... but technically a 3-4. Then in our nickel/dime packages, we'd frequently shift to a 4-3.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #249
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Dude.

We were doing that under Wade. We just weren't running a "standard" 3-4... more of a tweaked 5-2... but technically a 3-4. Then in our nickel/dime packages, we'd frequently shift to a 4-3.
Not having had a "fat boy in the middle" significantly limited the effectiveness of shifting back and forth.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #250
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude.

We were doing that under Wade.
We just weren't running a "standard" 3-4... more of a tweaked 5-2... but technically a 3-4. Then in our nickel/dime packages, we'd frequently shift to a 4-3.
Yeah, that's what I thunk. Seemed to happen several times a game, every game.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #251
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Rather have Matthews. He played both RT and LT, and also had to pass block for a guy who improvised. Bloodline non-withstanding I put my money on him having the best career of any OL coming out of this draft.
I'm not the least bit opposed to Matthews being selected. In fact, I like him for the very reasons you mention ...AND the bloodline thing.

But when I brought it up initially (must have been eons ago) I was severely chastised for suggesting we take a RT with the 1-1 pick.
Old 05-01-2014   #252
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
Man I like Rick Smith but that was 20 minutes of my life just wasted away. Pancakes and especially Tania tried their best to get something out of Rick but he wasn't having any of it.
Rick Smith needs an enema.
Old 05-01-2014   #253
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

lol @ anyone paying attention to the press conference with the GM of a team a week before the draft.

Have you people learned nothing?
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #254
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well it's good to know that Smith knows what a good football player looks like. After all it is his profession. With all of these good football players Smith knows what they look like when he sees them how in the world did the Texans finish 2-14 with 1-1 AGAIN?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #255
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Not having had a "fat boy in the middle" significantly limited the effectiveness of shifting back and forth.
To the tune of consistently fielding a top ten defense.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2014   #256
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I'm not the least bit opposed to Matthews being selected. In fact, I like him for the very reasons you mention ...AND the bloodline thing.

But when I brought it up initially (must have been eons ago) I was severely chastised for suggesting we take a RT with the 1-1 pick.
That's because they thought we were enamored with an Aggie or that we were too concerned with the name. I'm like you though. I don't care who he is as long as he's the best OT or one of the best OTs in the game.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2014   #257
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude.

We were doing that under Wade...
RAC wants bigger bodies.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #258
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
lol @ anyone paying attention to the press conference with the GM of a team a week before the draft.

Have you people learned nothing?
It's either that or go to an Astros game.

Which would you do?
Old 05-01-2014   #259
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
RAC wants bigger bodies.
That's a different thing than the 3-4/4-3 thing to me. Granted, the bigger bodies are about a more traditional 3-4 shifting to possibly more traditional 4-3 but it's a different aspect. We already wanted guys who could perform in multiple fronts; we're just changing some of their requirements and their dimensions.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #260
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
It's either that or go to an Astros game.

Which would you do?
Baseball > Football, so...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read