Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2014   #221
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
(in a GP kinda way, if you know what I mean)
Speaking of GP, I haven't seen him post in a while. Wonder where he has been.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #222
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Excellent point!

I have liked the way the organization has operated as Rick Smith's role has increased- not because they haven't made any personnel mistakes, but because they seem to have a good plan, don't panic, make thoughtful decisions, and have a long term and disciplined view for the organization. I also like the focus on collected compensatory picks, avoiding the free agent frenzy, and the willingness to let veterans go when prudent.

The Ed Reed fiasco was a mistake than many of you saw coming. All organizations make those mistakes on occasion. However, only a dozen organizations would be as quick to recognize and act on that mistake. It is that kind of football-first focus that allows an organization to be successful in the long term. Check out the NFL teams that make football decisions with a weighted concern for PR, or the ones that are stifled with inaction because of uncertainty or internal disagreement. Those are the organizations that will be fortunate to make 1 or 2 playoffs in the next decade.
Glad you like an obviously dysfunctional on the field product.

After reading this post you would think the Texans on field product lead by Smith was 14-2 last yr instead of 2-14. After last yrs rah rah posting and the fact that you chose to welch out on a bet makes me certainly devalue your opinions on all things Texans amongst other things.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #223
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Glad you like an obviously dysfunctional on the field product.

After reading this post you would think the Texans on field product lead by Smith was 14-2 last yr instead of 2-14. After last yrs rah rah posting and the fact that you chose to welch out on a bet makes me certainly devalue your opinions on all things Texans amongst other things.
And you'd still be complaining about Rick Smith if we were 14-2
Old 04-26-2014   #224
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And you'd still be complaining about Rick Smith if we were 14-2
How would you know that? It's never happened and probably wont be happening anytime soon. The Texans are currently the kind of org that Dale described. (A pretender) Reaching the playoffs a couple of times in a decade, getting blown out by above avg teams and then falling off of a cliff.

It's not my fault Smith is in charge of the on the field product that has been lackluster at best. But you can continue to kill the messenger, but it wont matter because of how things continue to play out with the on the field product.
Old 04-26-2014   #225
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How would you know that? It's never happened and probably wont be happening anytime soon.
I'm sure you were among those complaining when we were 12-4.

Quote:
It's not my fault Smith is in charge of the on the field product that has been lackluster at best. But you can continue to kill the messenger, but it wont matter because of how things continue to play out with the on the field product.
I'm with Dale, I'm happy with what this organization has done on Rick Smith's watch & I expect it to get better. Like you though, I give Rick Smith very little credit for it. I'm going to wait to see what another coach can do with the talent Rick Smith gets us.
Old 04-26-2014   #226
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm sure you were among those complaining when we were 12-4.

I'm with Dale, I'm happy with what this organization has done on Rick Smith's watch & I expect it to get better. Like you though, I give Rick Smith very little credit for it. I'm going to wait to see what another coach can do with the talent Rick Smith gets us.
Yes, I said the Texans weren't as good as their record. Because they always got blown out against good teams and blew HFA throughout the playoffs. They came up against a true SB contender in the playoffs and predictably got killed.

What on Smith's watch are you happy with? A couple of wild card game wins in a decade?
Old 04-26-2014   #227
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
What on Smith's watch are you happy with? A couple of wild card game wins in a decade?
Does Smith's watch encompass a decade?

Since he's been here, we've had two losing seasons, two division championships, & two play off wins (or advancing to the divisional round if you prefer).
Old 04-26-2014   #228
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

This crap will continue, regardless of HC or GM. How many people have read about the advice BOB got to " BE IN CHARGE" and will swear that every pick is his? How many will believe that Smith picks 'em and BOB coaches them up? If 2006 had been a clean break and a true house cleaning, we'd still be arguing this because of Kubiak and Smith's Denver connection.

There's not a person on this forum that has a clue about the true dynamics in the FO. Every single post on this subject is nothing more than speculation and a declaration of preference for one individual over another. With the way the Texans are ran, I doubt we'll ever know who has final say over what, especially with a Belichik disciple as HC. It'll only get muddier.

Maybe McNair should just fire Smith and either go all Jerrah Jones ( please Lord, no!!!!) or let BOB wear 3 hats. That way, we'd know who's responsible for what. As it stands, I take the conventional route. Smith drafts them, <insert HC> coaches them up. I haven't been impressed with the coaching and I have been impressed with the players that other teams pick up fro the Texans. It seems to me that coaching was more of a problem than drafting/talent. But that's just MHO.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #229
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
This crap will continue, regardless of HC or GM. How many people have read about the advice BOB got to " BE IN CHARGE" and will swear that every pick is his? How many will believe that Smith picks 'em and BOB coaches them up?
Who cares? or better yet, what difference does it make who believes what?

The last 4 were better than the first 4, I'm looking forward to the next 4.
Old 04-27-2014   #230
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who cares? or better yet, what difference does it make who believes what?

The last 4 were better than the first 4, I'm looking forward to the next 4.
No difference to me.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #231
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

GM Rick Smith: “I absolutely know who I want”
Quote:
“I absolutely know who I want,” Smith said in an interview with "Texans Huddle" on Fox Sports Southwest. “I know the guys we like. The fortunate thing about having the first pick is I’ve got the pick of the litter, so I will know exactly who I want at that point.”

“Now where the game is played is if there’s an opportunity to move and, in this case, obviously to move back if somebody else wants to come up to that first pick," Smith said. "Then you weigh what the opportunities are versus who the individual is that you want to take and what that value is relative to the value that somebody might be offering you. But as you move through the draft, obviously you don’t know who’s going to be picked when.”
“I’ve said very often that if you are able to take a player at a corresponding value and it fits a position of need, then you’ve hit the homerun," Smith said. "You’ve done a great job.”

“As we go and that board starts to fall, we’ve already earmarked that guys that we like, that we think will fit in our systems and we’d like to see in our locker room and the guys that we think would be good guys in our community," Smith said. "We’ve got a pretty good idea of who those men are.”
To hear the complete interview with Rick Smith, tune into "Texans Huddle," airing Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. and again Thursday at 6 p.m. on Fox Sports Southwest.*

*recheck those air times
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #232
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
GM Rick Smith: “I absolutely know who I want”

To hear the complete interview with Rick Smith, tune into "Texans Huddle," airing Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. and again Thursday at 6 p.m. on Fox Sports Southwest.*

*recheck those air times
Great to hear

Rick is a cagey old vet.
Old 05-01-2014   #233
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 50409 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
And a GM with balls would have told Bob how stupid the idea was.

(I didn't know how that one would play out, I hoped at least a season out the guy, I don't know if we got a play out of him)
LOL at "having balls" in the corporate workplace!

Is that what you do with your boss? Have balls and tell him he has a stupid idea? I certainly don't. I like being gainfully employed.

Why do people think that because this company is a professional sports franchise, that the rules of engagement in the workplace are any different than any other company. Bob and Rick work in suits up in the fancy offices, not down in the locker room scratching their crotches with the O-line.

When your boss, especially when that boss is the company owner, has decided on a course of action that you consider "stupid", you present relevant data/facts and look to influence the situation.

Ultimately, as the owner he has the final call, and you either live with it and try to work it into a positive, or exit professionally if it is that important to you. You don't show how big a pair you have by calling him or his ideas stupid. Not if you expect to be employed for long.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #234
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
LOL at "having balls" in the corporate workplace!

Is that what you do with your boss? Have balls and tell him he has a stupid idea? I certainly don't. I like being gainfully employed.

Why do people think that because this company is a professional sports franchise, that the rules of engagement in the workplace are any different than any other company. Bob and Rick work in suits up in the fancy offices, not down in the locker room scratching their crotches with the O-line.

When your boss, especially when that boss is the company owner, has decided on a course of action that you consider "stupid", you present relevant data/facts and look to influence the situation.

Ultimately, as the owner he has the final call, and you either live with it and try to work it into a positive, or exit professionally if it is that important to you. You don't show how big a pair you have by calling him or his ideas stupid. Not if you expect to be employed for long.
Agree with the bolded totally. If the boss still isn't persuaded by your data/facts I think you've still done your job by giving an alternative viewpoint. Its up to him/her to do something with that. Stomping out like a pouty child while telling your boss he/she is stupid only gets you unemployed and shows other folks in the industry that you're unprofessional and insubordinate. Good luck getting hired someplace else.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #235
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Agree with the bolded totally. If the boss still isn't persuaded by your data/facts I think you've still done your job by giving an alternative viewpoint. Its up to him/her to do something with that. Stomping out like a pouty child while telling your boss he/she is stupid only gets you unemployed and shows other folks in the industry that you're unprofessional and insubordinate. Good luck getting hired someplace else.
Nailed it.

Took me into my 30's to realize that even if I was right, I could still be wrong.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #236
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
But I thought McNair was a hands off owner?

Bottom line is if the owner respects his GM's opinions he will most likely go along with the GM's decisions. It seems as though McNair is totally in charge, yet never held accountable by the fanbase. (Accountable, there goes that word again)

I know that in most fans on this MB McNair can do no wrong, but his management style is the root of the Texans on field product problems. But his management style sure does make him a lot of $$$$ and that's what it's really all about isn't it?
Old 05-01-2014   #237
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

5/01 Draft Presser

(tweets read bottom(oldest)-to-top)

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
"Those things are certainily options, but I don't think I've ever done that." Rick Smith on possibility of trading veteran players on draft day.

" I tend to believe you want to give yourself as much time as you can to exhaust all of your options" Rick Smith on if he'll use the full 10 mins alloted to make selection

Rick Smith says the extra time has been good, but says he'd like to see it moved back to April.

"You eliminate need, when you value and rank players. We value & rank the board independently of need"

"There's an idea of a traditional QB in the NFL, but those 2 don't fit a specific mold." On success of Kaepernick & Wilson

"There are 2 positions that I think you can never have to many off and that's corners and tackles." Rick Smith #Texans

"I don't feel pressure....that's just my personality. I feel like we're prepared, so I'm confident." Rick Smith

"We have the opportunity to pick the best player available on our board, 3 different times(days)" Rick Smith (3 Days of the Draft)

"We have valued and ranked our board, if we stay at 1...we know who we want"

Rick Smith: On depth of the draft "I do beleive there are positions in this draft that is deep."

Rick Smith: "The vast majority of the work is done, we obviously have a week left to tweak the board"
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Quote:
Smith says the extra time has been good for them because of the first pick. But would like to see it get moved back to April. #Texans

Rick Smith says he and OB have been agreeing on the evaluations of most prospects. He said, "I've been in football a long time... he's been in football a long time... we both know what a good football player is."

Rick Smith says over the next week they'll run scenarios for what will happen during the draft, how far they might want to move.

Smith says again that they're willing to move out of first pick. #Texans

Rick Smith says he knows the order of the #Texans board. He knows who he feels good about if they stay at 1.
Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
Quote:
"Enlightening."- #Texans GM on the nature of conversations he's had with Defensive Coordinator Romeo Crennel.
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
At least 4 teams that I know of have inquired about top pick but checking and doing are totally different.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #238
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116586 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

"Enlightening."-

I wonder how so?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #239
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"There are 2 positions that I think you can never have to many off and that's corners and tackles." Rick Smith #Texans
Sniff, sniff... smells like Robinson @ #1 to me
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #240
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17470 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Man I like Rick Smith but that was 20 minutes of my life just wasted away. Pancakes and especially Tania tried their best to get something out of Rick but he wasn't having any of it.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read