Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-28-2014   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2014 3 Amigos' Mock Draft

Hello everyone! With the draft just a few short weeks away, here is the 3 Amigos' 2014 Mock Draft. As always, this mock is done under the assumption that no trades are made, as trades are just too unpredictable to deal with.

As for the mock, it was a tough one. There was a ton of debate, and I think we discussed every potential pick at 1.1 ad nauseam. The team has a lot of holes to fill, and, unfortunately, were not able to address them all. However, we took the best players available at each pick, and are very satisfied with the result.

I think that about covers my opening remarks... have at it! We encourage comments (about players, about our discussions, whatever), and will get back to any questions as soon as possible.

Round 1, Pick 1: Auburn OT Greg Robinson, 6’5” 332 lbs

With our first pick, we, after much debate, decided to use the first overall selection to land the draft’s premier tackle prospect. While the other candidates for the first overall pick have significant flaws, Robinson’s biggest flaw is the most correctable- inexperience. Due to Auburn’s style of offense, Robinson was not asked to pass block as much as some of the other draft-eligible tackles. However, film review shows that when called upon, Robinson is more than capable of protecting his QB. Furthermore, he is a mauler in the ground game, making him a day 1 starter at RT. Drafting Robinson gives the Texans flexibility in the future as it pertains to the OL, as he could either remain at RT or move to LT should Brown be traded, injured, or moved to LG or RT. Salary should not be a concern, as the rookie wage scale will help keep Robinson’s contract relatively low for the next handful of years.

Round 2, Pick 33: Washington State S Deone Bucannon, 6’1” 211 lbs

Four year starter, Pro-ready, day one starter for Texans. Brings range, size, ball hawking skills, physical presence & run support (384 tackles, 7 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries & 15 interceptions). One of the best players in this draft few talk about w/exception of our own Texan Talk members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx
To me,Bucannon is the best safety in the draft. He's the only guy who can play hash,box,or man to man. If he were on tv more or played in sec,he would go probably top 10. I know he's the best safety in draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007
MSR

Been saying this for months. If you've studied him then I can't see how you don't have a 1st round grade on him. Yet, all these draft experts on TV have him going in the 3rd round. We'll see..
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan
Make that 3 of us. I've been saying all offseason that he's easily the best Safety not named Clinton-Dix and that I think he's better than HCD too. Best Safety in the draft, IMO.
After what seemed like weeks of back & forth in the war room the three Amigos concur, Deone offers solid value, fills a high priority need (exacerbated w/Daniel Manning release) who will work hard to earn his new teammates respect both on & off the field. Bucannon has been a consistent performer his whole life in football, he is smart, solid young man who was nicknamed Sulton of Swatt on fast track to become a valued weapon for Romeo Crennel & is Texan worthy.

Round 3, Pick 65: Alabama QB AJ McCarron 6'3" 220 lbs

Durable & started every game last three seasons. Well versed in pro style offense with only 4 losses (each against top 15 team). Finalist for Davey O'Brien and Walter Camp, Won Maxwell (player of year) & second in Heisman, won Johnny Unitas Golden Arm all in 2013. Very consistent QB that should translate quickly to NFL and will not lose many games himself. Very cerebral, comfortable under center or in gun, 67 % career & throws with accuracy on the run. Exhibits good wrist snap and mobile enough to evade first wave under duress remaining calm. Mature leader who was constantly "under the lights" with good decision making. Excellent caretaker ability to make all NFL throws but core strength is short to intermediary passes that are bread and butter with 4-1 TD to INT ratio. Very effective career passing on 3rd down. 2013: 3,063 67.3% YPA 9.12 24 TDS 4 INTs 10 inch hands.

Coaching staff is drooling to work with this player who can be face of team.

Biggest complaint is he had a great Oline and 3 Amigos are giving him the same to succeed in H'town!

Round 4, Pick 101: Iowa TE CJ Fiedorowicz, 6’6” 265 lbs
A 3 Amigos’ favorite, Fiedorowicz was a no-brainer here. Fiedo possesses the size necessary to be an inline blocker, but also the athleticism and hands to be a threat in the short and intermediate passing game. His versatility and old-school style of play will make him both a fan-favorite and a favorite of the coaching staff.

Round 4, Pick 135: Duke CB, Ross Cockrell, 6’ 191 lbs
Tall, angular CB for a retooled Texans secondary which was a high priority for three Amigos to address. Two time captain who excels in man coverage. Good ball skills, foot quickness, plays with leverage & goes for the strip. All time Duke leader in defended passes with 53. End of fourth based off minor medical condition for acl. Cockrell ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 and 4.50 seconds, short shuttle in 4.20 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.92 seconds. He had a 39-inch vertical jump 10-foot-5 broad jump with 12 reps on bench. Notable match-up he faced 6’5” Texas A&M WR Mike Evans, holding him to four receptions, 72 yards & zero TD's. Cockrell has shown excellent closing speed and has displayed the ability to be a ball hawk, amassing twelve interceptions and forty pass deflections in his four years at Duke.

Round 5, Pick 141: UCONN ILB Yawin Smallwood, 6'2" 246 lbs
Red shirted 2010 then started 36 games Stats:
2011: 94 Ts 1.5 sacks, 3 pass break up 1 FF
2012: 120 -- 4.0 ---- 4 ---- and 2 FF
2013: 118--4.0 ----- 9 pass breakups 54 yd INT for TD and team captain.
MLB who was used in coverage even against WRs, keep eye on this player who could be even faster @ OLB. Hammy in combine. More fluid than Skov or Borland and has long arms with strong hands.

Round 6, Pick 177: East Carolina OLB Derrell Johnson, 6’2” 257 lbs

In an attempt to increase the defense’s ability to put pressure on the other teams’ quarterbacks, we elected to draft an experienced edge rusher at this point. As a four year starter (2 years at DE in a 4-3, 2 years at OLB in a 3-4), Johnson boasts a statistical resume that few in this class can match, notching 221 total tackles, 35 TFLs, and 19 sacks in his career. Known for being a tireless and relentless pass rusher, Johnson allayed concerns about his overall athleticism at his pro day, running a 4.61 forty (1.59 10 yard) despite an injured calf.

Round 6, Pick 181: Cal DE DeAndre Coleman, 6'5" 314 lbs
24 x 225 with broad shoulders, trim center with tree trunks for legs, good power POA, strong upper body and arms that allows him to shred blocks & get hands on ball carrier. Played all 37 games last three years, uses bull rush and will be utilize in NFL to stuff run as either nose or 5 Tech.
2014 combine enjoyed fine day against Gabe Ikard and Travis Swanson proving more athletic. May have allowed team's 2013 record to affect his play. Appears ready to step up and earn an NFL contract.

Round 6, Pick 211: Arkansas State NT Ryan Carrethers, 6'1" 337 lbs

26 inch vert. In 2013 had 93 tackles and two blocked kicks. Low body weight in comparison to the other "fatties" and can "lift a house" with wrestling background college; 2 gap ability who will earn his salary clogging middle with solid anchor to contain double teams. He will become known for telling Watt "go ahead, I got this."

Round 7, Pick 216: Vanderbilt OT/OG/C, Wesley Johnson, 6’5” 297 lbs

First team All-SEC. Has played every OL position for Vanderbilt against best competition in the nation. Moves well in pass pro mirrors & kick-step like a seasoned pro has faced Clowney & given up only one sack per season last two years. Looks like a typical Patriot OL with rough beard mountain man like exterior but don't be fooled by appearance, Johnson is a two-time SEC Academic Honor Roll recipient. New England Patriots coach did take time while in Nashville (to run the Rock & Roll Half Marathon) to oversee a private workout from Johnson despite being slightly undersized but exceptionally athletic tackle who excels in the open field with his ability to pull and lead stretch plays. In ironic twist Vanderbilt Head Coach James Franklin left to take over the Penn State football program.

Round 7, Pick 256: Indiana RB/KR Stephen Houston, 5’11” 225 lbs
Meet Mr. Irrelevant; a bowling ball of a back with speed (4.52 forty), power, and explosiveness (40” vertical, 11’ broad jump). Houston did not have a decorated career at IU, but did average 5.4 yards per attempt and tallied 25 TDs over his 3 years in Bloomington. He brings value as a receiver and as a returner, and will leave dents in defenders trying to tackle him.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 3 Amigos' Mock Draft

I'm fine with Robinson at #1. Probably safest value pick at a position of need.

Do you see him replacing Jungle Boi? or playing next to him?

No problem with the player but not sure of the fit and the priority at that position.

Not a huge fan of McCarron, but all the QBs have warts so you've got to kiss one of the toads I guess.

I like Fiedorowicz. Again, feel there are many other places that need help before TE though.

We need a CB in the draft and Cockrell is a decent one.

Really like this pick. Big need and a good skillset. My favourite pick of your draft.

Don't know much about the guy, but we need edge rushers, so sure.

We need some bodies on the DL so this works.

I like this pick too, need that guy in the middle.

Good player this late in the draft.

Again, not a prospect I'm across but fills a need so seems good.
Old 04-28-2014   #3
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate this draft. Another safety in the second round on top of the 2 safeties we've already signed? McCarron as your QB? Not a fan at all with the first 3 picks, hope Rick Smith can do way better.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

I'm fine with Robinson at #1. Probably safest value pick at a position of need.
That was our thinking too.

Quote:

Do you see him replacing Jungle Boi? or playing next to him?

No problem with the player but not sure of the fit and the priority at that position.
Ideally they play next to each other. Since the NFL has become a passing league, safeties are a premium position. Having two young players that can cover and bring the wood against the run will be huge for the Texans.

Quote:

Not a huge fan of McCarron, but all the QBs have warts so you've got to kiss one of the toads I guess.
Yeah, everybody seems to have their favorite mid-round guy should the Texans pass on a QB in the first. QB is a need, but will any of these mid-rounders be starters? We think McCarron could be.

Quote:

I like Fiedorowicz. Again, feel there are many other places that need help before TE though.
In my opinion, there are two things you have to do for a young QB; 1) Protect him, and give him targets. Robinson is a step in the right direction for the first, and Fiedorowicz should be a safety blanket for whichever QB the Texans have.

Quote:

We need a CB in the draft and Cockrell is a decent one.
Agreed

Quote:

Really like this pick. Big need and a good skillset. My favourite pick of your draft.
badboy pushed hard for Smallwood. He will be pleased to read your comment.

Quote:

Don't know much about the guy, but we need edge rushers, so sure.
You should try to catch some of his clips on youtube if you have time. Fun player to watch do to his tenacity.

Quote:

We need some bodies on the DL so this works.
Yep

Quote:

I like this pick too, need that guy in the middle.
Yep. We would have liked to address NT earlier, but you play with the cards you are dealt. Carrethers is better value here than grabbing a Jones-type guy in the 3rd.

Quote:

Good player this late in the draft.
BL pushed for Johnson. Good player, provides depth across the line.

Quote:

Again, not a prospect I'm across but fills a need so seems good.
He is an under-the-radar guy for sure. I mean, nobody watches IU, and Houston was part of a RB tandem. But the dude is versatile and has talent. Worth a shot, in our opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Hate this draft. Another safety in the second round on top of the 2 safeties we've already signed? McCarron as your QB? Not a fan at all with the first 3 picks, hope Rick Smith can do way better.
Bucannon is better than the two safeties Smith signed. Like I wrote above, good safeties are a must in today's NFL. Grabbing Bucannon gives us two promising young safeties to build around in the defensive backfield.

As for McCarron- we are not sold on any of the first round QBs. Better to upgrade the line, and take a shot on one of the mid-round guys. Whoever wins the TC battle between the drafted QB, Yates, Fitzgerald, and Keenum gets the start, and will be protected by an upgraded line. If one of them steps up and looks like a starter, great. If not, then we look again next year, but have an upgraded line to give the new QB.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Hello everyone! With the draft just a few short weeks away, here is the 3 Amigos' 2014 Mock Draft. As always, this mock is done under the assumption that no trades are made, as trades are just too unpredictable to deal with.
Robinson & McCarron...... what's not to like.

Except, for the newbs it would be nice if you'd divulge who exactly the 3 Amigos are.

Old 04-28-2014   #6
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like the pick. It addresses one of the biggest weaknesses on this team with the best OT prospect in the draft.

Quote:
Not a fan of McCarron. He had elite talent with him at Alabama and I don't think he will be as effective without that level of superior talent in the NFL.

Quote:
This gives the Texans a nice option for whoever QB's this team.

Quote:
Tall, angular CB for a retooled Texans secondary which was a high priority for three Amigos to address. Two time captain who excels in man coverage.
Decent prospect but I question the bolded. I drafted him in our mock draft and from everything I gathered he played close to 90% of his snaps at Duke in zone coverage and his biggest question mark is how well he will do in man coverage.

Quote:

I like all three picks but I don't think they will last this long in the actual draft.

Overall a really nice job guys.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i LOOOOOVE this draft. beautiful. perfect. 11 wins next season.

i question one thing however, how likely are each to be there? mccarron, fiedorowicz, smallwood, and carrethers are names that come up in mocks around the league pretty often. i'm wondering if they wont go a round (or two) higher than projected. yall seem to be taking some liberties with how late several guys are taken.

forgive my responses. i'm seeing this mock as "too good to be true", so please take my doubt as a compliment.

Last edited by Scooter; 04-29-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2014   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Like the pick. It addresses one of the biggest weaknesses on this team with the best OT prospect in the draft.
As the board is divided who Texans should select #1 overall so were we. The common ground besides overall draft grade far superior to last years #1 overall selection was that for whoever the Texans develop as next franchise QB a stronger ground game will be employed so not only would Mr. Robinson extend Arian Fosters career & effectiveness it would build confidence & time to make progressions in the pocket critical to that development. Plus Greg is motivated to improve, is a hard worker & in time the franchise LT for the Texans.

Quote:
Not a fan of McCarron. He had elite talent with him at Alabama and I don't think he will be as effective without that level of superior talent in the NFL.
Giving McCarron a future all pro tackle with one already in place, a big, physical blocking TE who can catch, to go along with a healthy, rejuvenated Arian Foster & Andre Johnson equate to superior NFL talent. He is Pro-Ready!

Quote:
Decent prospect but I question the bolded. I drafted him in our mock draft and from everything I gathered he played close to 90% of his snaps at Duke in zone coverage and his biggest question mark is how well he will do in man coverage.
We are not projecting him as a boundary corner, although he could quickly rise in the depth chart given what is currently on this Texan roster. Instead our focus was to get bigger, in this specific player, a nickle to replace McCain. He should make an excellent, hard nosed, physical corner who doesn't shy away from a challenge who always faced the other teams #1 WR.[/quote]

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i LOOOOOVE this draft. beautiful. perfect. 11 wins next season.

i question one thing however, how likely are each to be there? mccarron, fiedorowicz, smallwood, and carrethers are names that come up in mocks around the league pretty often. i'm wondering if they wont go a round (or two) higher than projected. yall seem to be taking some liberties with how late several guys are taken.
Thank You,

Trust me great pains were built in to keep it realistic as possible, that included tearing down & starting completely over more than once

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-29-2014   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Has Smallwood really fallen that far ?? He was thought to be a 3rd round or so prospect not too long ago.

I wouldn't complain about this haul , solves a lot of issues. Might make them a playoff team if one of the QB's steps up.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Has Smallwood really fallen that far ?? He was thought to be a 3rd round or so prospect not too long ago.
that's my question. several of the players selected have had big swings depending on who you ask. it seems the amigos have taken the most favorable prediction. that may also be the most realistic option, but then i'm not the expert.
Old 04-29-2014   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
that's my question. several of the players selected have had big swings depending on who you ask. it seems the amigos have taken the most favorable prediction. that may also be the most realistic option, but then i'm not the expert.
I just checked "CBS" draft site & they have him 5th or 6th round .... said he had an injured hamstring when he ran at the combine (5.01 in 40).

Is it the injury that's pushed him down ?? Or the lack of ideal build for an ILB ??

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #13
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89506 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a fan of drafting a safety in the 2nd round. Clemons is a good FA addition and I like Swearinger's potential. SO MANY needs on this team that I think we'd be better served filling another hole in a different position. Thats really my only complaint.

Good job overall fellas.
Old 04-29-2014   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the draft. Fantastic work guys. Love all of these guys with the exception of McCarron, but I understand the pick.

But I do agree that some liberties were taken with who was available at each selection. Buccanon and Fiedorowicz are not likely to be available at those spots, but it is possible so those aren't too outlandish.

But I just flat out don't believe that Smallwood, Coleman, Carrethers, and W. Johnson will still be available when you have them being selected. Just my opinion though. Like I said, I absolutely love the draft.

Last edited by bah007; 04-29-2014 at 08:49 AM.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I'm not a fan of drafting a safety in the 2nd round. Clemons is a good FA addition and I like Swearinger's potential. SO MANY needs on this team that I think we'd be better served filling another hole in a different position. Thats really my only complaint.

Good job overall fellas.
^^^^
This
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post

Good job overall fellas.
Just because Texans reached a little bit last year (Swearinger carried a 3rd rd. grade) didn't resolve safety need even with Ed Reed. Now Texans have a chance to steal an Eric Reid type of FS we feel it would really solidify the Texans safety position & we all recognize our CB's need but didn't get much help last year, once Manning was injured (no gone too). Clemons is a nice back-up but that is all he has ever proven in Miami, he tested free agency last year too but nobody was interested. I thought he might be better coming out of Clemson myself, even mocked him to Texans in one draft end of the 4th rd. but his development has not improved to the point he should be a starter in this league. After surprising lackluster safety play, with exception of one year (Manning's first & Quin's last) Texans safety play has sucked. This is an opportunity to rectify & find an excellent solution/player.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-29-2014   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Just because Texans reached a little bit last year (Swearinger carried a 3rd rd. grade) didn't resolve safety need even with Ed Reed. Now Texans have a chance to steal an Eric Reid type of FS we feel it would really solidify the Texans safety position & we all recognize our CB's need but didn't get much help last year, once Manning was injured (no gone too). Clemons is a nice back-up but that is all he has ever proven in Miami, he tested free agency last year too but nobody was interested. I thought he might be better coming out of Clemson myself, even mocked him to Texans in one draft end of the 4th rd. but his development has not improved to the point he should be a starter in this league. After surprising lackluster safety play, with exception of one year (Manning's first & Quin's last) Texans safety play has sucked. This is an opportunity to rectify & find an excellent solution/player.
While I agree with this I want to spend high picks on strengthening the trenches and adding much needed speed to the team. Buchanon does this and will probably add great value to ST's, so there's definitely a case to be made.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I love the draft. Fantastic work guys. Love all of these guys with the exception of McCarron, but I understand the pick.

But I do agree that some liberties were taken with who was available at each selection. Buccanon and Fiedorowicz are not likely to be available at those spots, but it is possible so those aren't too outlandish.

But I just flat out don't believe that Smallwood, Coleman, Carrethers, and W. Johnson will still be available when you have them being selected. Just my opinion though. Like I said, I absolutely love the draft.
It's difficult to separate the fan from draft guru in all of us. We are hopeful these players will be available when Texans select but just never really know but believe you me each was discussed in detail regarding their availability extensively. In the end we all compromised at some point or another in the name of just getting er done.

Greg Robinson- top tackle prospect worthy of #1 overall fills huge need.
Deone Bucannon- 1st/2nd bottom 1st top of 2nd.
McCarron- 3rd/4th QB with size & pedigree always exceed expectations.
Fiedo- 3rd/4th rd. probably middle 3rd IMO
Cockrell- 4th/5th rd. again this is a deep class
Smallwood- 4th/5th rd- good football player with poor forty
Johnson- 6th/7th not invited to combine
Coleman- 5th/6th rd. group consensus
Carrerthers- 7th rd. stock has fallen but BB faith carried him
Wesley- 6th/7th late rd. developmental tackle who may kick inside
Houston- 7th/undrafted has talent, outstanding pro day really might help him get drafted?

In summation Three Amigos played the game fairly, addressed OL with two picks starter/back-up, two DL both back-ups, OLB depth, Secondary starter/possible starter, TE possible starter, back-up RB & of course franchise/developmental QB. would have liked to add one of this crops fine WR's too but just wasn't as big of need as others. Thank You

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-29-2014   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
While I agree with this I want to spend high picks on strengthening the trenches and adding much needed speed to the team. Buchanon does this and will probably add great value to ST's, so there's definitely a case to be made.
Agreed. Pushed hard for Bucannon & BB expressed similar concerns (wanted Tuitt) believe me I understand. Would be happy with either actually but as long as I've been a Texan & done mock drafts never has a safety of this quality fallen into their laps, because you have a couple rated higher (according to several media outlets Mayock being one) Calvin Pryor, Ha HA Clinton Dix being the other, Texans could actually land the best of the bunch, once & for all which would create much better CB play as they work in tandem

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-29-2014   #20
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88720 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm down with any mock that includes Bucannon. He might be my favorite player in this draft. His stock is starting to heat up though.

I think he has a legit shot to go in 1st round ahead of Calvin Pryor and possibly HCD.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read