Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-26-2014   #121
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Report: Texans G.M. prefers Khalil Mack to Jadeveon Clowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
does it matter?

Aren't we all (whether we admit it or not) at least a little bit worried about how Arian will produce when we're not as "Zone" focused as we used to be?

Aren't we all (though a little more willing to admit) worried that Chris Myers may not be sufficient in a non-Zone system?

Are we kidding ourselves to believe the zone system did not help Duane? Or that Matt's ability to get the ball out quickly didn't help Brown?
I think we will still run quite a bit of zone, and a bit of diversity may actually help our line and backs. I have faith that OB and his coaching staff will call a game plan to best utilize the talents that the team does have.

Don't most teams run a good bit of zone?
Old 04-26-2014   #122
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I think we will still run quite a bit of zone, and a bit of diversity may actually help our line and backs. I have faith that OB and his coaching staff will call a game plan to best utilize the talents that the team does have.

The last time the Texans ran a combination of a hybrid zone and a power run game brings back memories of Mike Sherman and Ahman Green
Old 04-26-2014   #123
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
does it matter?

Aren't we all (whether we admit it or not) at least a little bit worried about how Arian will produce when we're not as "Zone" focused as we used to be?

Aren't we all (though a little more willing to admit) worried that Chris Myers may not be sufficient in a non-Zone system?

Are we kidding ourselves to believe the zone system did not help Duane? Or that Matt's ability to get the ball out quickly didn't help Brown?
Not sure where you are going with this. I have said I would try and get something for Arian right now if I were GM. I don't see him being a Texan after this year anyway. He's getting up in age and his contract is to big. Get something for him now if we can. We are at minimum two years away from being relevant. No need to hang on to him and his fat contract while rebuilding.

Wonder if NE would consider him as part of a package for Mallet?
Old 04-26-2014   #124
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 245830 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Do you mean versatility?

If you do, then I agree. Having two really good tackles makes our OL more versatile.
Old 04-26-2014   #125
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you mean versatility?

If you do, then I agree. Having two really good tackles makes our OL more versatile.
I meant diversity thank you tho

di·ver·si·ty noun \də-ˈvər-sə-tē, dī-\
: the quality or state of having many different forms, types, ideas, etc.
Old 04-26-2014   #126
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 245830 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I meant diversity thank you tho

di·ver·si·ty noun \də-ˈvər-sə-tē, dī-\
: the quality or state of having many different forms, types, ideas, etc.
Well in that case...

Quote:

We don't need to draft anyone.
Old 04-26-2014   #127
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well in that case...

We don't need to draft anyone.

Do you like to argue just for the sake of argument?
Old 04-26-2014   #128
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Do you like to argue just for the sake of argument?
Duane Brown was hand-picked by the ZBS guru. We're moving away from pure ZBS... as far away as we've ever been. While Duane Brown has been identified as one of the best LT's in the game, that designation has been made because of his play in the ZBS.

Even in the ZBS, we've never had the ability for our QB to sit in the pocket & pick a defense apart. There isn't a franchise QB in the league that hasn't had that luxury with more consistency than we've been able to provide in Houston. ("We" meaning the Houston Texans).

That's what I want for our QB. That, plus a running game that can pick up 3rd & short with regularity. That, plus the ability to run the ball in the red zone. That, plus the ability to score in the red zone.

Can we do that with a third round pick? Maybe.

Maybe as likely as solving our pass rush issues with a 3rd round pick. Or solving our QB issue with a 3rd round pick.
Old 04-26-2014   #129
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Duane Brown was hand-picked by the ZBS guru. We're moving away from pure ZBS... as far away as we've ever been. While Duane Brown has been identified as one of the best LT's in the game, that designation has been made because of his play in the ZBS.

Even in the ZBS, we've never had the ability for our QB to sit in the pocket & pick a defense apart. There isn't a franchise QB in the league that hasn't had that luxury with more consistency than we've been able to provide in Houston. ("We" meaning the Houston Texans).

That's what I want for our QB. That, plus a running game that can pick up 3rd & short with regularity. That, plus the ability to run the ball in the red zone. That, plus the ability to score in the red zone.

Maybe as likely as solving our pass rush issues with a 3rd round pick. Or solving our QB issue with a 3rd round pick.
I understand what you are saying, I just don't think it's gloom and doom just because we may not be a predominant zone team anymore. But we may be. We don't know yet what we will run or if it will be the same week to week. Or who is going to be the qb, rt or lg. Way too many questions to worry about right now
Old 04-26-2014   #130
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, I just don't think it's gloom and doom just because we may not be a predominant zone team anymore. But we may be. We don't know yet what we will run or if it will be the same week to week. Or who is going to be the qb, rt or lg. Way too many questions to worry about right now
Big apology if I were coming across as gloom & doom. Definitely not the way I ever want to come across.
Old 04-26-2014   #131
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 221570 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Obviously this is just a guess but I think we'll run some form of the NE spread; two TEs/two WRs/one RB or One TE/3 WRs/one RB. The opportunities to run the ball will come from mismatches because the defense has their nickel or dime package on the field and - and this is crucial - our QB sees that mismatch and adjusts the play call. If NE's offense gives us any clues, we're more likely to see passing sets on 3rd and 3 or 4 instead of I formations like under Kubiak. In this new offense, Foster may make his money by catching the ball out of the backfield and making the LB miss who's trying to cover him.
Like I said, just my guess.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #132
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Obviously this is just a guess but I think we'll run some form of the NE spread; two TEs/two WRs/one RB or One TE/3 WRs/one RB. The opportunities to run the ball will come from mismatches because the defense has their nickel or dime package on the field and - and this is crucial - our QB sees that mismatch and adjusts the play call. If NE's offense gives us any clues, we're more likely to see passing sets on 3rd and 3 or 4 instead of I formations like under Kubiak. In this new offense, Foster may make his money by catching the ball out of the backfield and making the LB miss who's trying to cover him.
Like I said, just my guess.
I like the way you guess.

I can't wait much longer to actually see it!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #133
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

There is nothing about Duane Brown's talent or play at LT that limits time in the pocket more than any of the top LTs in the game. There are reasons for your perception, though:

1. ZBS- offensive line has wider splits which benefit the run game but it does add to pass blocking issues.

2. Usually, plays where a QB has 4+ seconds in the pocket occur for one of two reasons: maximum protection (6-7) on the play vs. 3-4 man rush, or QB mobility inside the pocket allows for OL recovery. The Texans almost never protected with more than 5 unless it was a play action pass. Also, Schaub did not have the feet and awareness to create the extended opportunities within the pocket.

3. Kubiak's protection scheme was very predictable, which allowed good defensive coordinators to be very efficient in how they schemed the pass rush.

4. Kubiak's offense was a rhythm/timing offense and almost all drop back passes were designed for the ball to leave the QB hand within 1 second after the QB took his drop.
Old 04-26-2014   #134
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
4. Kubiak's offense was a rhythm/timing offense and almost all drop back passes were designed for the ball to leave the QB hand within 1 second after the QB took his drop.
I don't remember the Bronco's offense with Elway being a rhythm offense. maybe there was some element of it there, but I recall Elway having "all day" on several occasions.
Old 04-26-2014   #135
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't remember the Bronco's offense with Elway being a rhythm offense. maybe there was some element of it there, but I recall Elway having "all day" on several occasions.
Elway made it by using his legs to buy some time... Schaub was no Elway
Old 04-26-2014   #136
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 21772 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Not sure where you are going with this. I have said I would try and get something for Arian right now if I were GM. I don't see him being a Texan after this year anyway. He's getting up in age and his contract is to big. Get something for him now if we can. We are at minimum two years away from being relevant. No need to hang on to him and his fat contract while rebuilding.

Wonder if NE would consider him as part of a package for Mallet?

Trading Arian Foster for Mallett would be one of the dumbest moves in the history of this franchise and that says an awful lot.
Old 04-26-2014   #137
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94543 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Elway made it by using his legs to buy some time... Schaub was no Elway
Schaub is closer to Bernie Kosar and Dan Marino in the legs dept. and not even a cousin to Elway!!
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #138
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Schaub is closer to Bernie Kosar and Dan Marino in the legs dept. and not even a cousin to Elway!!
Schaub is a cousin of Peyton Manning in the legs department.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #139
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Trading Arian Foster for Mallett would be one of the dumbest moves in the history of this franchise and that says an awful lot.
Yeh trading a soon to be if not already worn out RB with serious off field issues and a huge contract who's coming off of back surgery for a young QB with all the tools the new head coach is looking for on a team who's rebuilding without a QB is just plain dumb!!! NOT!!!
Old 04-26-2014   #140
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Yeh trading a soon to be if not already worn out RB with serious off field issues and a huge contract who's coming off of back surgery for a young QB with all the tools the new head coach is looking for on a team who's rebuilding without a QB is just plain dumb!!! NOT!!!
Well, you won't be able to pay that QB, or your new draft picks if you did it, but other than that it's a brilliant idea.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read