Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-23-2014   #101
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Report: Texans G.M. prefers Khalil Mack to Jadeveon Clowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I think it's important to note the consistent productivity of Mack though. Mercilus was a backup his first 2 years and then he wreaked havoc as a pass rusher his junior year and went pro. Mack put up great numbers all 4 years of his career. Even if you discount Mack's senior year and only count the first 3 years of each guy's college career you get....

Mercilus - 81 Tackles, 29.0 TFL, 18.0 Sacks, 11 Forced Fumbles, 0 INT, and 2 Passes Defended
Mack - 227 Tackles, 56.0 TFL, 18.0 Sacks, 11 Forced Fumbles, 1 INT, and 15 Passes Defended

I would also keep in mind that Mercilus was surrounded by much better talent. He played with future NFL draft picks Martez Wilson, Akeem Spence, Corey Liuget, Michael Buchanan, Tavon Wilson, and Terry Hawthorne. Mack didn't have that same luxury. The only defender I can recall getting drafted out of Buffalo is Josh Thomas.
Which should be countered by the presence of much better competition that Mercilus faced in the Big 10, don't you think ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #102
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Just saying, at the time, Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue, had more Sacks, Tackles for Loss and Forced Fumbles than JJ Watt.
Which is another example of why you shouldn't put too much emphasis on stats. There are just to many variables that can skew stats.

Quote:
Kerrigan turned out to be a Pro Bowl player, just saying, not like he's been an utter disappointment.

I never suggested anything about Karrigan. The point is that stats don't tell the whole story.
Old 04-23-2014   #103
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Hey Texian I have been watching replays of Buffalo games to get a better idea of Khalil Mack and correct me if I'm wrong here but does he not remind you of Mercilus back when he was at Illinois?. The only thing I can see where Mack is better than Mercilus is his coverage skills.
Mercilus is more a pin your ears back and go to the QB. That's pretty much it. Mack changes directions better, has better awareness and is really good in in the open field.
Old 04-23-2014   #104
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Which should be countered by the presence of much better competition that Mercilus faced in the Big 10, don't you think ?
Should or could? It could be countered. I wouldn't necessarily say that it should be. A team playing an opponent with one good defensive player can gameplan for that one guy without the risk of a teammate picking up the slack. A team playing an opponent with many good defensive players can't gameplan for all of them and faces a much higher risk of a teammate picking up the slack if they do gameplan against 1-2 guys.

Every situation is unique, but a guy having one great year against good competition strikes me as a bit fluky compared to a guy who had 4 great years against lesser competition.

In his one good year at Illinois, Mercilus had 2 teammates finish with 6+ sacks. In his four years at Buffalo, Mack had 2 teammates finish with 6+ sacks. Competition does matter, but so does supporting cast. Mack was a one-man show at Buffalo. Mercilus was just the next in line of a pretty solid group of pass rushers to go through Illinois.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #105
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I heard that interview, as well.

Except Wade chuckled during it, so that negates the entire thing.

Although...Wade seems to chuckle every time he speaks....

While none of us really know the power structure on Kirby, we are good at speculating. I tend to think like you, that the coaching staff has traditionally had a lot of power in the draft. It's the Bill Parcells mentality: "If I'm going to be asked to cook the meal, I'd like to be able to pick the groceries."

And if this is the case with the Texans, then it is fairly obvious why Rick Smith is still around.

The Ed Reed thing was weird, though, because we can be fairly certain that Wade had very little to do with that signing based on his comments when they let Reed go. I'm still curious who was the driving force behind that one.
Well, if you're going to start a betting pool, I'd like to plunk down $20 on McNair being the driver on the Ed Reed pick.
...well, not pick but F/A move.
...you know whut I meant.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #106
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
but, at least you can have confidence that he will get the 1st round right!:

His record is stellar in the first round (particularly if you assume he learned from the mistake made in his first draft: 2007-Okoye)

Duane Brown
Brian Cushing
Kareem Jackson
JJ Watt
Mercilus
Hopkins

--Brown, Cushing, Jackson, Watt were all unpopular picks at the time. No GM in the NFL has a better record in the 1st round the past 6 years. If you disagree, let's see the list (also, of note, 3 picks were in the 20s, and Watt was the highest selection at 11)
I have to agree with this about Smith as far as the first round goes. He has been pretty money in the first.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #107
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
but, at least you can have confidence that he will get the 1st round right!:

His record is stellar in the first round (particularly if you assume he learned from the mistake made in his first draft: 2007-Okoye)

Duane Brown
Brian Cushing
Kareem Jackson
JJ Watt
Mercilus
Hopkins

--Brown, Cushing, Jackson, Watt were all unpopular picks at the time. No GM in the NFL has a better record in the 1st round the past 6 years. If you disagree, let's see the list (also, of note, 3 picks were in the 20s, and Watt was the highest selection at 11)
If you like drafts that equal this, and I will give Smith full credit for all of the 1st rd picks, even though we know Bown was a HOF Alex Gibbs pick.

Brown = Great pick
Cushing = Great pick if you like an ILB that plays 6-10 games a yr. Give me Matthews.

KJ= Avg to slightly above avg CB if used properly.
Watt= Great Pick
Mercilus = Borderline bust
Hopkins= Played last yr more like a 3rd rd pick than a 1st rd pick, but due to Schaub's injury I still have hopes for Hopkins.

Money, I think not,

Lets talk about Smith's 3rd/4th rd picks. Which is where competent GM's make their $$$$.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #108
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Here you go, Frank Bush discussing why HE wanted Cushing (all along) and had Cush targeted in the Fall prior to the drafted if Cush was still available. Bush says, Cush was MY GUY all along. (This goes along and supports information that Kubiak was very liberal in allowing his coaches make their draft pick).

http://prod.www.texans.clubs.nfl.com...7-C1A63E15B544
Old 04-25-2014   #109
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Not a Peter King fan by any means but what would be stupid about taking not only the best OT in the entire draft, but also arguably the best athlete?
quite simple, you don't need a LT when you A: have arguably the best LT in the NFL, B: have nothing at QB C: have far more pressing issues at other need spots.

RT is an issue, but not even top 3 on the list. If they traded back and took Robinson, so be it but not at the #1 spot just to stick him at RT...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #110
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Here you go, Frank Bush discussing why HE wanted Cushing (all along) and had Cush targeted in the Fall prior to the drafted if Cush was still available. Bush says, Cush was MY GUY all along. (This goes along and supports information that Kubiak was very liberal in allowing his coaches make their draft pick).

http://prod.www.texans.clubs.nfl.com...7-C1A63E15B544
Old 04-25-2014   #111
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Cushing = Great pick if you like an ILB that plays 6-10 games a yr. Give me Matthews.
This is kinda silly; Cushing's injuries have almost all been season-ending ones directed at his knees (ie, ones that would put anyone out). Matthews by comparison has been more prone to being nicked up and out for entire stretches.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #112
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #113
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Concur
Old 04-25-2014   #114
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
This is kinda silly; Cushing's injuries have almost all been season-ending ones directed at his knees (ie, ones that would put anyone out). Matthews by comparison has been more prone to being nicked up and out for entire stretches.
On top of that, Matthews has never had over 60 tackles in a season. When Cush hasn't been low cut and has played the whole year he's always had over 100 tackles.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #115
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here you go, Frank Bush discussing why HE wanted Cushing (all along) and had Cush targeted in the Fall prior to the drafted if Cush was still available. Bush says, Cush was MY GUY all along.
As a DC, Bush made a great GM.
Old 04-25-2014   #116
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
On top of that, Matthews has never had over 60 tackles in a season. When Cush hasn't been low cut and has played the whole year he's always had over 100 tackles.
REP!!! Matthews dreams of playing like Cush. His long hair, pedigree and being on a consistently good team gets him a lot of attention. He's a good player, but I can think of several other LB's I'd rather have on my team. Cush being one of them.
Old 04-26-2014   #117
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
quite simple, you don't need a LT when you A: have arguably the best LT in the NFL, B: have nothing at QB C: have far more pressing issues at other need spots.

RT is an issue, but not even top 3 on the list. If they traded back and took Robinson, so be it but not at the #1 spot just to stick him at RT...
A: Did you watch Brown last year?
B: Has nothing to do with it.
C: There is nothing wrong with making the OL a team strength especially when you know you are going to be bringing in a young QB at some point.
Old 04-26-2014   #118
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A: Did you watch Brown last year?
B: Has nothing to do with it.
C: There is nothing wrong with making the OL a team strength especially when you know you are going to be bringing in a young QB at some point.
Brown played injured for most of the year. Turf toe is hedoublehockeysticks on anyone. And he lost weight to become quicker, that backfired and he's gained it back.
Brown will be fine this year. I think he'll be better than ever.
Old 04-26-2014   #119
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Brown played injured for most of the year. Turf toe is hedoublehockeysticks on anyone. And he lost weight to become quicker, that backfired and he's gained it back.
Brown will be fine this year. I think he'll be better than ever.
I still think Brown is good and can bounce back from last year. He is still young and has the talent. I just don't agree that he is "arguably the best LT in the NFL" at this point.
Old 04-26-2014   #120
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
A: Did you watch Brown last year? .
does it matter?

Aren't we all (whether we admit it or not) at least a little bit worried about how Arian will produce when we're not as "Zone" focused as we used to be?

Aren't we all (though a little more willing to admit) worried that Chris Myers may not be sufficient in a non-Zone system?

Are we kidding ourselves to believe the zone system did not help Duane? Or that Matt's ability to get the ball out quickly didn't help Brown?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read