Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-23-2014   #2581
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quotes from an article on nfl.com by Chase Goodbread

Gamecocks defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward chose to passionately defend Clowney's work ethic.

"I never had an issue with him. If anything, you had to slow him down," Ward said, according to espn.com. "There were days that Coach [Steve] Spurrier would have to tell us to take him off the field or they weren't going to get anything accomplished on offense. And that's the truth because they couldn't get a pass off on him."

Ward, however, was around Clowney on a daily basis for three seasons, and saw none of the effort issues that Clowney is for which the star pass rusher is reputed.
Old 04-23-2014   #2582
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Yesterday he was using it, and, he ripped the bolt right off. I've never seen that before. -- Game Changers trainer

Man, you're a lot bigger than I thought... I didn't think you were that big. -- Sterling Sharpe saying what just about everyone says on Game Changers

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-c...wney-shows-off
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #2583
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post

Gamecocks defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward chose to passionately defend Clowney's work ethic.

"I never had an issue with him. If anything, you had to slow him down," Ward said, according to espn.com. "There were days that Coach [Steve] Spurrier would have to tell us to take him off the field or they weren't going to get anything accomplished on offense. And that's the truth because they couldn't get a pass off on him."

Ward, however, was around Clowney on a daily basis for three seasons, and saw none of the effort issues that Clowney is for which the star pass rusher is reputed.
This addresses my concerns and, if true, would make him my choice easily. You just don't know how much stock to put into it.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #2584
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
This addresses my concerns and, if true, would make him my choice easily. You just don't know how much stock to put into it.
We had something similar with Sam Montgomery last year. There was that report that the S&C coach had put up a sign about guys -- including Sam Montgomery -- slacking off and skipping training sessions. That caused people to question Montgomery's work ethic. But then the S&C coach came out and said that it wasn't a big deal, that Sam was a hard worker, that he'd just put up that sign because they'd accidentally missed a workout, no biggie.

But it was a biggie and Montgomery apparently did have issues and shouldn't have been drafted.

I know every case is different and you've got to do your due diligence and check all these guys out, but after a couple of low motor guys not panning out, I'm a little gun-shy.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #2585
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
We had something similar with Sam Montgomery last year. There was that report that the S&C coach had put up a sign about guys -- including Sam Montgomery -- slacking off and skipping training sessions. That caused people to question Montgomery's work ethic. But then the S&C coach came out and said that it wasn't a big deal, that Sam was a hard worker, that he'd just put up that sign because they'd accidentally missed a workout, no biggie.

But it was a biggie and Montgomery apparently did have issues and shouldn't have been drafted.

I know every case is different and you've got to do your due diligence and check all these guys out, but after a couple of low motor guys not panning out, I'm a little gun-shy.
That's why the in season Spurrier stuff carries more weight with me. In season, it's easier to get an idea of what's going on from a team dynamics standpoint, although it's still not easy. After the season, coaches are simply trying to sell their guys because part of their recruiting pitch is to get guys drafted higher than their rivals. It wouldn't be smart for a coach to bad mouth a player after the season, and also be telling recruits that he gives them the best chance of being drafted high.
Old 04-23-2014   #2586
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
When you watched Clowney in game situations, you saw him taking plays off, but if his athletic trainer for three years tells you what you saw wasn't what you thought you saw... You're ready to take him with the #1 overall?

Please explain.
Old 04-23-2014   #2587
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's why the in season Spurrier stuff carries more weight with me. In season, it's easier to get an idea of what's going on from a team dynamics standpoint, although it's still not easy. After the season, coaches are simply trying to sell their guys because part of their recruiting pitch is to get guys drafted higher than their rivals. It wouldn't be smart for a coach to bad mouth a player after the season, and also be telling recruits that he gives them the best chance of being drafted high.
Help me out here. The in season Spurrier stuff?
Old 04-23-2014   #2588
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
When you watched Clowney in game situations, you saw him taking plays off, but if his athletic trainer for three years tells you what you saw wasn't what you thought you saw... You're ready to take him with the #1 overall?

Please explain.
Is that a rhetorical question?
Old 04-23-2014   #2589
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

The bullisht flowing both ways, too hate/too love...

Quote:
"If Clowney were in the 2012 Draft, he'd still be the #1 pick." -- Ed Werder on ESPN Insiders reports what one Senior Personnel Director said about Andrew Luck's draft class.

Last edited by Playoffs; 04-23-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #2590
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
During the season, Clowney said he was injured and decided to sit out a game. Spurrier called him out... and Victor Hampton, iirc... and said he needed to step up. The question is whether that was just a motivational tactic or if Spurrier really felt like Clowney wasn't committed to playing football. That, along with Clowney coming into the season out of shape, is one of the main sources for why people started looking at his motivation and questioning his motor.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #2591
mussop
Hall of Fame

This is a very good article about Clowney that was written 4 months ago.

Lots of information.....Not a fluff piece. Has good and bad points.

This quote caught my eye.

“Bill Belichick would make a monster out of him,” says an NFC general manager, who likens Clowney’s physical attributes to those of former Patriots outside linebacker Willie McGinest, who was drafted fourth overall by Bill Parcells in 1994.
Old 04-23-2014   #2592
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
During the season, Clowney said he was injured and decided to sit out a game. Spurrier called him out... and Victor Hampton, iirc... and said he needed to step up. The question is whether that was just a motivational tactic or if Spurrier really felt like Clowney wasn't committed to playing football. That, along with Clowney coming into the season out of shape, is one of the main sources for why people started looking at his motivation and questioning his motor.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Please explain.
Well, it speaks to his overall work ethic. If he truly is putting forth that effort in practice and in the weight room, then I would assume that there is more to it.

There's also the injury question though that I forgot about for half a second.
Old 04-23-2014   #2593
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sorry, but this is the most laughable quote I've read about Clowney honestly. If it were true and I could believe it, I would want Clowney more than any other player for sure. This would be a no brainer.

But I'm supposed to believe that Clowney played this way in practice regularly when he wouldn't give anywhere near that effort in ESPN televised games when he was in the Heisman hunt?? Sorry, but that just doesn't really add up.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #2594
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This.

Well, it speaks to his overall work ethic. If he truly is putting forth that effort in practice and in the weight room, then I would assume that there is more to it.

There's also the injury question though that I forgot about for half a second.
How is this believable when this guy wouldn't play nearly that hard in Prime time games? I think his coaches are taking the high road at this point and don't want to **** on their player before the draft. That would be horrible for future recruiting. I'm sure he had a practice or two like that over the years though. He has the ability, but I'm not about to believe that he played like this in practice regularly when he clearly didn't in what was obvious as his last year in college. This was basically a contract year for him, and he disappointed the masses.
Old 04-23-2014   #2595
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
But I'm supposed to believe that Clowney played this way in practice regularly when he wouldn't give anywhere near that effort in ESPN televised games when he was in the Heisman hunt?? Sorry, but that just doesn't really add up.
It's pretty easy to see if you bothered to watch the tape; I imagine there isn't much worth is running practices to leave extra help on one guy for 25% of all snaps, minimum.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #2596
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
It's pretty easy to see if you bothered to watch the tape; I imagine there isn't much worth is running practices to leave extra help on one guy for 25% of all snaps, minimum.
Watched the game tape? Well if that's the case, you clearly didn't watch it. If you did, you'd understand all of the criticism from tons of people across the country. To deny that any of it is relevant is laughable. You go watch the tape for yourself instead of listening to ESPN analysts choke on themselves over his size and stature. That won't do anything in the NFL if you aren't a high motor player at that position, and he clearly wasn't. Funny though, how many of you like to just deny that it exists at all for some reason, but yet you don't hear any of that stuff about a guy like Mack or even Barr for that matter. It's all over the place on CLowney. But people just need to watch the tape right? Lol!
Old 04-23-2014   #2597
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Watched the game tape? Well if that's the case, you clearly didn't watch it. If you did, you'd understand all of the criticism from tons of people across the country. To deny that any of it is relevant is laughable. You go watch the tape for yourself instead of listening to ESPN analysts choke on themselves over his size and stature. That won't do anything in the NFL if you aren't a high motor player at that position, and he clearly wasn't. Funny though, how many of you like to just deny that it exists at all for some reason, but yet you don't hear any of that stuff about a guy like Mack or even Barr for that matter. It's all over the place on CLowney. But people just need to watch the tape right? Lol!
So I'll take that as a "No, I didn't." Keep making assumptions about Clowney and whomever dares to disagree with your half-baked analysis, Tex.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #2598
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
How is this believable when this guy wouldn't play nearly that hard in Prime time games? I think his coaches are taking the high road at this point and don't want to **** on their player before the draft. That would be horrible for future recruiting. I'm sure he had a practice or two like that over the years though. He has the ability, but I'm not about to believe that he played like this in practice regularly when he clearly didn't in what was obvious as his last year in college. This was basically a contract year for him, and he disappointed the masses.

You should read the article.

“Looking at him this year compared to last year, it seemed like last year every single play was balls to the wall, hell on wheels,” says the AFC executive. “This year, there’s a lot of plays where he comes off the ball super hard, and if the ball is away he just kind of chills and watches the play. There’s definitely going to be some questions about that.”

Clowney’s watching Marcus Lattimore, the Gamecocks’ star running back, drop from a first-round talent to the fourth round because of a gruesome knee injury last year, and the stars aligned for Clowney’s subpar season—perhaps dropping him from being the first overall pick.

“I don’t see how that is such a factor that a team would take him off their board,” says an AFC scouting director. “Yeah, he’s immature and a young kid, but you can also go against that and say when he had a chance to shut it down, he did decide to come back. I think some of that can be overblown.”

But there’s still a question of how much Clowney lives and breathes football. Those who know him well say he loved to play the game in high school, and during his first two years at Carolina. But this season, with the rib and ankle issues, and teams dedicated to stopping him, Clowney has appeared to grow frustrated on game days.
Old 04-23-2014   #2599
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's going to get a top 5 contract, as opposed to a 4-6th rd contract if he would've blown out his knee like Brandon Thomas.

A very good business decision. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #2600
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You should read the article.

“Looking at him this year compared to last year, it seemed like last year every single play was balls to the wall, hell on wheels,” says the AFC executive. “This year, there’s a lot of plays where he comes off the ball super hard, and if the ball is away he just kind of chills and watches the play. There’s definitely going to be some questions about that.”

Clowney’s watching Marcus Lattimore, the Gamecocks’ star running back, drop from a first-round talent to the fourth round because of a gruesome knee injury last year, and the stars aligned for Clowney’s subpar season—perhaps dropping him from being the first overall pick.

“I don’t see how that is such a factor that a team would take him off their board,” says an AFC scouting director. “Yeah, he’s immature and a young kid, but you can also go against that and say when he had a chance to shut it down, he did decide to come back. I think some of that can be overblown.”

But there’s still a question of how much Clowney lives and breathes football. Those who know him well say he loved to play the game in high school, and during his first two years at Carolina. But this season, with the rib and ankle issues, and teams dedicated to stopping him, Clowney has appeared to grow frustrated on game days.
Sorry to quote myself. The bolded confuses me. It's stated as if that is abnormal. Lot's of players do this. Hell JJ Watt does it a few times a game. DL men get gassed and walk/slow jog down plays away from them all the time. Clowney never came out of games and teams ran away from him and focused their passing game on quick three step drops. When not doing that they shifted the blocking scheme to max protect against him. Who wouldn't get frustrated in that situation?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read