Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-22-2014   #81
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Report: Texans G.M. prefers Khalil Mack to Jadeveon Clowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think the power structure was screwed up with Gary Kubiak having far more influence on this organization than he should.
Like when Wade was asked if he was consulted about Ed Reed and how would Ed fit in the defense. Wade's response, right after McNair had sent his jet to pick up Ed, I have never been consulted about Reed, no one has ever asked me anything about Ed. And as you so eloqently pointed out, don't put Case Keenum in a corner, he's our damn starting QB.
Old 04-23-2014   #82
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You're incredible. You try to spin McNair spending $6 mil to get exactly who he wants into taking a cheapshot swipe at him. You need to seek out a chapter of McNair Blamers Annonymous.

Yup. Subsequently there has also been information out about the Texans having a deal in place to move up and get Patrick Peterson. The whole Watt = Wade thing is overblown.
Incredibly consistent, thou shalt not speak ill of Saint McNair and HIS 2-14 football team. (He should've spent the $$$$ and dumped Smith with the rest of his latest round of mistakes.

Peterson may have been #1 on Wade's list. I know he was #1 on mine. Smith was rumored to be #2 on the list and Wade got lucky with Watt his 3rd choice at pick #11.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #83
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Like when Wade was asked if he was consulted about Ed Reed and how would Ed fit in the defense. Wade's response, right after McNair had sent his jet to pick up Ed, I have never been consulted about Reed, no one has ever asked me anything about Ed. And as you so eloqently pointed out, don't put Case Keenum in a corner, he's our damn starting QB.
more power & influence doesn't mean he was omnipotent. Just that he had more influence on the teams direction than the GM.

McNair was/is the HNIC.
Old 04-23-2014   #84
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Incredibly consistent, thou shalt not speak ill of Saint McNair and HIS 2-14 football team. (He should've spent the $$$$ and dumped Smith with the rest of his latest round of mistakes.

Peterson may have been #1 on Wade's list. I know he was #1 on mine. Smith was rumored to be #2 on the list and Wade got lucky with Watt his 3rd choice at pick #11.
IMO, that would've matched 99.9% of teams draft boards for those 3 players. No one had a clue that Watt was going to be the beast that he is. Smith had some known charcter issues coming out of college, but who knew he'd be this effed up in the head?

Go back and reread the JJ Watt draft thread. There were a ton of WTF????'s at the time. He was actually booed when he was selected.

It's easy to use hindsight to make things look better or worse than they really were. Well, except for Travis Johnson, maybe. LOL
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #85
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
IMO, that would've matched 99.9% of teams draft boards for those 3 players. No one had a clue that Watt was going to be the beast that he is. Smith had some known charcter issues coming out of college, but who knew he'd be this effed up in the head?

Go back and reread the JJ Watt draft thread. There were a ton of WTF????'s at the time. He was actually booed when he was selected.

It's easy to use hindsight to make things look better or worse than they really were. Well, except for Travis Johnson, maybe. LOL
True, at the time Watt wasn't even the best player in the B1G 10 entering the draft.
Old 04-23-2014   #86
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

The only guy I heard a lot about leading up to the Draft in terms of who Wade wanted was Aldon Smith. I got excited about him being on our team then was really surprised and disappointed when the 49ers drafted him ahead of our pick at 11. Don't remember any talk about Peterson or Watt preceeding the Draft that year ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #87
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I heard that interview, as well.

Except Wade chuckled during it, so that negates the entire thing.

Although...Wade seems to chuckle every time he speaks....

While none of us really know the power structure on Kirby, we are good at speculating. I tend to think like you, that the coaching staff has traditionally had a lot of power in the draft. It's the Bill Parcells mentality: "If I'm going to be asked to cook the meal, I'd like to be able to pick the groceries."

And if this is the case with the Texans, then it is fairly obvious why Rick Smith is still around.

The Ed Reed thing was weird, though, because we can be fairly certain that Wade had very little to do with that signing based on his comments when they let Reed go. I'm still curious who was the driving force behind that one.
Old 04-23-2014   #88
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
The only guy I heard a lot about leading up to the Draft in terms of who Wade wanted was Aldon Smith. I got excited about him being on our team then was really surprised and disappointed when the 49ers drafted him ahead of our pick at 11. Don't remember any talk about Peterson or Watt preceeding the Draft that year ?
I heard quite a bit about Peterson and Smith and would've been ecstatic if the Texans had drafted either one. I was in the WTF crowd with Watt but wasn't upset with the pick. Just didn't know who he was.
Old 04-23-2014   #89
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I heard that interview, as well.

Except Wade chuckled during it, so that negates the entire thing.

Although...Wade seems to chuckle every time he speaks....

While none of us really know the power structure on Kirby, we are good at speculating. I tend to think like you, that the coaching staff has traditionally had a lot of power in the draft. It's the Bill Parcells mentality: "If I'm going to be asked to cook the meal, I'd like to be able to pick the groceries."

And if this is the case with the Texans, then it is fairly obvious why Rick Smith is still around.

The Ed Reed thing was weird, though, because we can be fairly certain that Wade had very little to do with that signing based on his comments when they let Reed go. I'm still curious who was the driving force behind that one.
100% speculation, but I think Reed was all McNair, based on his comments about getting mentally tougher and all. Reed is a sure-fire HOFer and McNair thought he could be an emotional leader for the Texans and show them how to rise up in big games.

Like I said, pure speculation on my part.
Old 04-23-2014   #90
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True, at the time Watt wasn't even the best player in the B1G 10 entering the draft.
Maybe by you. I had him as the second best player in the draft for us. Several other guys here had him high as well.
Old 04-23-2014   #91
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
In my mind it was Bob McNair. The fact that Bob sent his jet after Reed, which rarely happens. A lot of 1st RD draft picks don't get the McNair jet treatment. Wade knowing nothing about Reed or even part of the discussion about Reed says to me this was a McNair wild hair and it fits McNair's pattern of behavior of trying to buy a Championship.

I think it may have been a quasi joke, the part about getting the 1st RD pick "EVERY YEAR" may have been the joke. The 1st RD pick in 2011 & 2012, I'm not so sure.
Old 04-23-2014   #92
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Maybe by you. I had him as the second best player in the draft for us. Several other guys here had him high as well.
Just saying, at the time, Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue, had more Sacks, Tackles for Loss and Forced Fumbles than JJ Watt.
Old 04-23-2014   #93
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just saying, at the time, Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue, had more Sacks, Tackles for Loss and Forced Fumbles than JJ Watt.
Which is another example of why you shouldn't put too much emphasis on stats. There are just to many variables that can skew stats.
Old 04-23-2014   #94
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Trading down & taking Mack over Clowney makes more sense than taking Mack straight up over Clowney.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #95
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Which is another example of why you shouldn't put too much emphasis on stats. There are just to many variables that can skew stats.
Kerrigan turned out to be a Pro Bowl player, just saying, not like he's been an utter disappointment.
Old 04-23-2014   #96
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kerrigan turned out to be a Pro Bowl player, just saying, not like he's been an utter disappointment.
Hey Texian I have been watching replays of Buffalo games to get a better idea of Khalil Mack and correct me if I'm wrong here but does he not remind you of Mercilus back when he was at Illinois?. The only thing I can see where Mack is better than Mercilus is his coverage skills.
Old 04-23-2014   #97
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Hey Texian I have been watching replays of Buffalo games to get a better idea of Khalil Mack and correct me if I'm wrong here but does he not remind you of Mercilus back when he was at Illinois?. The only thing I can see where Mack is better than Mercilus is his coverage skills.
That's a good observation. Mercilus is a bit bigger and Mack is a better athlete. Mercilus came from a 4-3 and Mack from a 3-4. You're right again, Mack may be the better in coverage and Mercilus better against the run.
Old 04-23-2014   #98
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Trading down & taking Mack over Clowney makes more sense than taking Mack straight up over Clowney.
this is my dream situation
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #99
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kerrigan was certainly more productive than Watt in college and even won the Big Ten DPOY award over him, but let's also not forget that Watt had only played DL for 2 years at that point in time. He was still pretty raw technically and quite a few people thought he had a high ceiling if developed. I doubt anybody saw him becoming what he is now though.

Quote:
I agree. Kerrigan has hardly been a disappointment. He has 24.5 sacks in his first 3 years in the league. For comparison sake, his teammate Brian Orakpo had 28.5 in his first 3 years with the 'Skins. Not bad.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #100
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
I think it's important to note the consistent productivity of Mack though. Mercilus was a backup his first 2 years and then he wreaked havoc as a pass rusher his junior year and went pro. Mack put up great numbers all 4 years of his career. Even if you discount Mack's senior year and only count the first 3 years of each guy's college career you get....

Mercilus - 81 Tackles, 29.0 TFL, 18.0 Sacks, 11 Forced Fumbles, 0 INT, and 2 Passes Defended
Mack - 227 Tackles, 56.0 TFL, 18.0 Sacks, 11 Forced Fumbles, 1 INT, and 15 Passes Defended

I would also keep in mind that Mercilus was surrounded by much better talent. He played with future NFL draft picks Martez Wilson, Akeem Spence, Corey Liuget, Michael Buchanan, Tavon Wilson, and Terry Hawthorne. Mack didn't have that same luxury. The only defender I can recall getting drafted out of Buffalo is Josh Thomas.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read