Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-20-2014   #1141
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
You don't have to read many of my posts, regardless of the thread, regardless of the subject matter, to find that you are not far behind with some kind of an attack or derogatory post aimed at my message.
First I'm a troll now I'm a stalker. LOL!!!!
Old 04-21-2014   #1142
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
So I'm the troll for using the standard you set in the Clowney thread, on your guy?

You posted one of your typical arrogant simple minded post.

and I turned it around on you.

You got called out and the best rebuttle you can muster up is, "you're a troll".
I think it's obvious who the troll is.
Ha ha. Good stuff.
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #1143
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First I'm a troll now I'm a stalker. LOL!!!!
It is what it is. It would've taken me less than 5 minutes to completely deconstruct your silly belligerent post. Since it was a troll post I didn't waste my time. It's possible that you're just a Jackwagon and that's the way your personality is wired. If that is the case then I apologize for calling you a troll.

The reason it's a troll post is no reasonable person would try to make a connection of DE stats to and with QB stats. Unfortunately it appears they may be a few who've been sucked in by your BAD INTELL and BAD ANAYLSIS due to your belligerence. I expect most will see though it.

You did bring to the for front that Teddy Bridgewater is the King QB of the Sister Janes of the Weak Sisterhood. Regardless I think you and I are done here.
Old 04-21-2014   #1144
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm not a mod... just a patron, same as you guys. You probably don't care about how I feel, but I wish you guys would keep this back & forth in PMs.. one or two is understandable, but you've bringing you beef in multiple threads for multiple posts.
Old 04-21-2014   #1145
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just because I have 4 real concerns about Teddy doesn't make me a hater..

Do you have any real concerns about Bortles?
Old 04-21-2014   #1146
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is what it is. It would've taken me less than 5 minutes to completely deconstruct your silly belligerent post. Since it was a troll post I didn't waste my time. It's possible that you're just a Jackwagon and that's the way your personality is wired. If that is the case then I apologize for calling you a troll.

The reason it's a troll post is no reasonable person would try to make a connection of DE stats to and with QB stats. Unfortunately it appears they may be a few who've been sucked in by your BAD INTELL and BAD ANAYLSIS due to your belligerence. I expect most will see though it.

You did bring to the for front that Teddy Bridgewater is the King QB of the Sister Janes of the Weak Sisterhood. Regardless I think you and I are done here.
I'm confused. Are you saying that DE's should be judged by their stats but QB's shouldn't?
Old 04-21-2014   #1147
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm confused. Are you saying that DE's should be judged by their stats but QB's shouldn't?
I'm not surprised by your confusion, one is an apple and one is orange and in essence why the bad intell and bad analysis. Like I said, we're done here!
Old 04-21-2014   #1148
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89506 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You did bring to the for front that Teddy Bridgewater is the King QB of the Sister Janes of the Weak Sisterhood.
I think my decoder ring is broken. What the hell does this even mean?
Old 04-21-2014   #1149
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not surprised by your confusion, one is an apple and one is orange and in essence why the bad intell and bad analysis. Like I said, we're done here!
He is not the only one confused. Why do stats matter more for DEs than they do for QBs?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #1150
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
He is not the only one confused. Why do stats matter more for DEs than they do for QBs?
I'm going to take a stab at it.... & this is just for me, I have no idea what Texian is talking about.

A QBs stats usually has more to do with whether the game is won or lost. More so than any other position. I can look at a QBs stats, & think, "I can win a game with that dude."

Looking at a DEs stats... not so much. At best I can say, "He'll help my defense slow down an offense & make a game winnable for my QB."

If I had a DE put up one of the best seasons in NFL history, it wouldn't be far fetched to think we could still lose three of our last five games. If I had a QB put up one of the best seasons in NFL history it's not likely that we would lose three games in any 5 game stretch.

Another thing. 31 TDs & 4 Interceptions is great, but that doesn't make 29 TDs & 9 Ints horrible. Or Bortles passer rating, or completion percentage.

I don't have a problem with JaDaveon Clowney's production. I'm looking for a prospect & though his stats don't say he's the best, everything else does. The eyeball, his measurables, his combine, his attitude... I like everything about the kid. You won't hear me complain if you were to say he was the best prospect in this draft.

But his stats don't say that... not even close & I think you all agree, otherwise you wouldn't be making excuses... or rationalizing his poor stats.
Old 04-21-2014   #1151
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 116197 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I think my decoder ring is broken. What the hell does this even mean?
That TB played inferior competition on a regular basis.
Old 04-21-2014   #1152
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Do you have any real concerns about Bortles?
Yes I do, (2) matter of fact. I am concerned about his fumbles, he needs to take better care of the football. To Bortles credit most of his fumbles occur when his eyes are down field but the ball still needs to have better security to avoid turnovers. Secondly I am concerned about his INTs. However when you analyze his numbers, his INTs are in the neighborhood of most others. Actually TB has more INTs in his college career. Bortles still maintains almost a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio which is respectable. The thing about the INTs is most come from Bortles trying to force the ball into tight coverage and it's only going to get tighter in the NFL. The bright spot is even with the INTs Bortles doesn't get fazed or rattled and has shown the propensity to recover well. Some say Bortles INTs cost UCF the S Carolina game. A valid argument. I say the halfback pass that ended in a pick six is what cost UCF the game. Regardless Bortles/UCF almost came back to win the game and Bortles showed excellent awareness and ability to avoid Clowney's pressure.

There was also a question of Bortles holding the ball to long and under throwing his WRs on deep patterns. Bortles seems to have answered those questions at his Pro Day throwing several 60 yd passes on a tight trajectory without any extra air underneath. Many of the talking heads at his Pro Day seem to agree.
Old 04-21-2014   #1153
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm going to take a stab at it.... & this is just for me, I have no idea what Texian is talking about.

A QBs stats usually has more to do with whether the game is won or lost. More so than any other position. I can look at a QBs stats, & think, "I can win a game with that dude."

Looking at a DEs stats... not so much. At best I can say, "He'll help my defense slow down an offense & make a game winnable for my QB."
Keeping with that thought process, how many of the "greatest offensive teams" have won SB compared to the "greatest defensive teams"? I know you're only trying to translate what another poster is saying but it doesn't hold much weight when it comes to winning the big game. This year's SB and the Patriot's 18-1 are great examples of offensive juggernauts being handled by a superior defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #1154
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Stats are relevant to the position and in regards to DE vs a QB, one's a defense stat and the other an offensive stat.
Old 04-21-2014   #1155
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Keeping with that thought process, how many of the "greatest offensive teams" have won SB compared to the "greatest defensive teams"? I know you're only trying to translate what another poster is saying but it doesn't hold much weight when it comes to winning the big game. This year's SB and the Patriot's 18-1 are great examples of offensive juggernauts being handled by a superior defense.
Does drafting a pass rusher with 3 sacks make you one of the "greatest defensive teams"?

Still, no one is saying that Clowney had to have the most dominant statistical performance of this year's class, which is what "they" are inferring with Bortles' stats. At least Bortles was in the ball park, statistically Aaron Donald eclipses JaDaveon Clowney.

Unlike Texian, I do not think that Donald is the best defensive prospect in this draft, nor do I think Bortles is the best QB prospect (I think he's barely a second rounder). But we're talking about using stats to back up our arguments.

Donald's stats compared to Clowney's Donald is clearly the better player. Statistically, Clowney isn't even in the conversation.

Bortles' stats are close enough to Bridgewater's to warrant the argument.
Old 04-21-2014   #1156
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Stats are relevant to the position and in regards to DE vs a QB, one's a defense stat and the other an offensive stat.
Ok, I'm just as lost as you guys.
Old 04-21-2014   #1157
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Brilliant!!!! You sir are a genius!!!
Old 04-21-2014   #1158
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71724 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes I do, (2) matter of fact. I am concerned about his fumbles, he needs to take better care of the football. To Bortles credit most of his fumbles occur when his eyes are down field but the ball still needs to have better security to avoid turnovers.
Fair and honest assessment.

Quote:
Secondly I am concerned about his INTs. However when you analyze his numbers, his INTs are in the neighborhood of most others. Actually TB has more INTs in his college career.
And this is why you have problems getting along around here. You just can't help yourself. The bolded is a totally disingenuous statement. Bridgewater has indeed thrown 5 more INTs in his career. He's also thrown 251 more passes.

It is a fact that Bortles has thrown less INTs. But he actually throws INTs at a slightly higher rate.

Bortles - 2.13%
Bridgewater - 2.10%

A miniscule difference. One that need not even be noted really, until you wrongly and intentionally tried to make it part of your argument for Bortles.

Quote:
Bortles still maintains almost a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio which is respectable. The thing about the INTs is most come from Bortles trying to force the ball into tight coverage and it's only going to get tighter in the NFL. The bright spot is even with the INTs Bortles doesn't get fazed or rattled and has shown the propensity to recover well. Some say Bortles INTs cost UCF the S Carolina game. A valid argument. I say the halfback pass that ended in a pick six is what cost UCF the game. Regardless Bortles/UCF almost came back to win the game and Bortles showed excellent awareness and ability to avoid Clowney's pressure.
I agree with all of the above.

Quote:
There was also a question of Bortles holding the ball to long and under throwing his WRs on deep patterns. Bortles seems to have answered those questions at his Pro Day throwing several 60 yd passes on a tight trajectory without any extra air underneath. Many of the talking heads at his Pro Day seem to agree.
He has answered those questions as far as they pertain to wearing shorts and throwing against no defense. All we can do is wait to see if those questions have been answered in a real game scenario.

My biggest concern with Bortles has always been his poor starts. He consistently puts his team in a hole to start games by making bad decisions and poor throws. He does rise to the occasion in the fourth quarter, but I am concerned that in the NFL his poor starts will play his team out of games.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #1159
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Fair and honest assessment.

And this is why you have problems getting along around here. You just can't help yourself. The bolded is a totally disingenuous statement. Bridgewater has indeed thrown 5 more INTs in his career. He's also thrown 251 more passes.

It is a fact that Bortles has thrown less INTs. But he actually throws INTs at a slightly higher rate.

Bortles - 2.13%
Bridgewater - 2.10%

A miniscule difference. One that need not even be noted really, until you wrongly and intentionally tried to make it part of your argument for Bortles.

I agree with all of the above.

He has answered those questions as far as they pertain to wearing shorts and throwing against no defense. All we can do is wait to see if those questions have been answered in a real game scenario.

My biggest concern with Bortles has always been his poor starts. He consistently puts his team in a hole to start games by making bad decisions and poor throws. He does rise to the occasion in the fourth quarter, but I am concerned that in the NFL his poor starts will play his team out of games.
A fair well reasoned discussion. The TB INT notation was not to jab the needle but rather to illustrate, that in comparison, the # of INTs was not that alarming. I don't think anyone has said that TB's INT were a real problem or a problem at all for that matter. I for one have not.
Old 04-21-2014   #1160
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 6350 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is what it is. It would've taken me less than 5 minutes to completely deconstruct your silly belligerent post.
Yet, you did not do it. Just stop. You are embarrassing yourself.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read