Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-02-2014   #1321
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I am so excited about Obrien as a coach.

I share a lot of his thoughts and I think he's more in the mold of what I like as a coach.

Keyshawn Martin has not been that guy. He is afraid of contact. You cannot be afraid of getting dirty playing in the slot. He's not aggressive enough. He's not strong enough.

He's really more suited as 5th or 6th WR.

Based on those comments I guess there's a good chance we could see a slot type WR taken in the draft.

Just checked and there are some decent WR's out there on the FA market.

This draft is deep, deep, DEEP in WRs. The question is whether OB is as mistrustful of rookies as Kubiak was.

I don't think he is.

Personally, I am not really enamored of the left-overs in the FA market at WR.

Because of the depth of the WR class, there might be some really good ones that don't even get drafted. I think it was interesting that OB mentioned how many UDFAs were on the Patriots squad when he was there.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #1322
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This draft is deep, deep, DEEP in WRs. The question is whether OB is as mistrustful of rookies as Kubiak was.

I don't think he is.
I don't think Kubiak was mistrustful of rookie WRs. Martin got lots of looks early but tries to use butter as stickum. Hopkins was getting tons of looks for a rookie even with the QB position imploding.

But yes, no need to go into the remaining FAs instead of the draft to get a slot WR.
Old 04-02-2014   #1323
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I like what I hear from O'Brien. It's easy to get excited about the guy even though we have not seem him coach a game for the Texans.
Old 04-02-2014   #1324
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I don't think Kubiak was mistrustful of rookie WRs. Martin got lots of looks early but tries to use butter as stickum. Hopkins was getting tons of looks for a rookie even with the QB position imploding.

But yes, no need to go into the remaining FAs instead of the draft to get a slot WR.
Martin was one of the few guys other than a first rounder to get that sort of trust from Kubes. He generally worked his rookies in slowly and built up trust. He did that with Martin but at an accelerated rate and then Martin totally and completely let him down.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #1325
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I like what I hear from O'Brien. It's easy to get excited about the guy even though we have not seem him coach a game for the Texans.
I hear ya!

I hope he changes our flavor from vanilla to Rocky Road with big nuts!

Last edited by DBCooper; 04-02-2014 at 01:41 PM.
DBCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #1326
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I hope he changes our flavor from vanilla to Rocky Road with big nuts!
Quote:
"We have a very aggressive mindset," OB when asked how conservative he'll be in play-calling. #Texans
Losing will never be accepted in Houston. If we lose a game we're going to figure out why and fix it. You don't want to get into a situation where you lose a game and then lose another. You address the problem. -- paraphrased from Town Hall.

Last edited by Playoffs; 04-02-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #1327
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Martin was one of the few guys other than a first rounder to get that sort of trust from Kubes. He generally worked his rookies in slowly and built up trust. He did that with Martin but at an accelerated rate and then Martin totally and completely let him down.
Or you could say he is slow with other positions. Jacoby got his fair share of targets as a rookie but like Martin wasn't making the catches. I just don't think there is a track record on WRs but hey Kubiak's gone anyway.
Old 04-02-2014   #1328
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Demeco played every snap from game 1. Connor & Reed played a lot for 2nd rounders as well.

Eric Winston started 7 games as a rookie. Owen Daniels started 12

Wali Lundy was our starting running back week 1 of 2006.

Steve Slaton started 15 games as a rookie.

Glover Quin started 12 games & Brice McCain played an awful lot as a rookie

But other than that, I think you're right.
Old 04-10-2014   #1329
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Certainly a different practice philosophy than the prior HC's...

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
Interesting to see if players "buy-in" w/ new staff. Hearing that the team is bracing to be pushed hard, but everybody is buying in. #Texans

Clarifications on "college" atmosphere during #Texans offseason work: Tons of cardio. Again, O'Brien wasn't impressed with practice habits.

Reportedly, O'Brien wasn't too fond of the way the #Texans practiced in 2013. Hearing this year's early cardio has been like "college".

I'm hearing that Bill O'Brien is looking for his team to become a "family". Respect seems to be his chief principle. #Texans
Old 04-11-2014   #1330
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Certainly a different practice philosophy than the prior HC's...

This team doesn't need to become a "family"; that way of thinking was Kubiak's downfall. This team needs to become like a BUSINESS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #1331
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Test reply.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #1332
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213638 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Test reply.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #1333
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Interesting to see if players "buy-in" w/ new staff. Hearing that the team is bracing to be pushed hard, but everybody is buying in. #Texans

Clarifications on "college" atmosphere during #Texans offseason work: Tons of cardio. Again, O'Brien wasn't impressed with practice habits.

Reportedly, O'Brien wasn't too fond of the way the #Texans practiced in 2013. Hearing this year's early cardio has been like "college".

I'm hearing that Bill O'Brien is looking for his team to become a "family". Respect seems to be his chief principle. #Texans
That runs anathema to BOB running things like Belichik. That dude is the ultimate "all business" coach, except for Brady and maybe...well, Brady...

I'd rather see the business model than the family model again. 8 years of the family model kinda soured me on it.

On second thought, I'll take the winning model and I don't care how BOB does it, just as long as he does it!
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #1334
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Something about this guy just fits......

Old 05-01-2014   #1335
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Quote:
Watt on Bill O'Brien's new regime. "You better come in willing to work and willing to learn. ... Every day you come to work." #Texans
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
Watt said playing for O'Brien is all about work. Said he respects the hell out of him because of his work ethic & what he expects. #Texans
Old 05-01-2014   #1336
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

Quote:
Watt on Bill O'Brien's new regime. "You better come in willing to work and willing to learn. ... Every day you come to work." #Texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN

Quote:
Watt said playing for O'Brien is all about work. Said he respects the hell out of him because of his work ethic & what he expects. #Texans
I sure like the sound of that. That's what this team has needed for a while I guess.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #1337
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I sure like the sound of that. That's what this team has needed for a while I guess.

I'm sure Kubiak had a strong work ethic. I'm guessing the difference now is that the players pretty much know they will lose their jobs if they're not up to speed. Under Kubaik, as has been discussed ad nauseum, no one was accountable for anything.

houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #1338
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I'm sure Kubiak had a strong work ethic. I'm guessing the difference now is that the players pretty much know they will lose their jobs if they're not up to speed. Under Kubaik, as has been discussed ad nauseum, no one was accountable for anything.

All we can do is sit back and watch but if the bolded is true, which I think it will be, is a great change of direction. O'brien made his mark right off the bat by taking all the "ME" decorations down. TEAM is his focus and I applaud him for that.

I can't wait for kick-off!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #1339
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I fully expect OB to be stern and maintain high standards for his roster.........while still being fair, and not heartless in his final actions........

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #1340
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I've come to believe, after reading a ton of posts on the guy, that I now haven't the slightest idea of what to think of him. He'll either impress me in the preseason or I'll posting $hit on him all year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read