Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-09-2014   #201
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 NFL Draft chatter/rumors/news

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Rd.1 Nix
Rd.3 DaQuan Jones
3-4. Justin Ellis who I also believe has the feet to play the 5 tech.
Rd.5 Beau Allen/Carrethers/Caraun Reid
Rd.6 Deandre Coleman, who could also play the 5 tech/Zack Kerr/Khyri Thorton
Rd.7 Mike Pennel/Robert Thomas/Bruce Gaston
Thanks steelb

If you could pop into my Big Fat Fatties thread to explain how you identify fits that would be appreciated.

Not sure why Reid is identified as someone who an be a NT but for example Kelcey Quarles can't. Not hung up on Quarles, just pulled the name out of my butt.
Old 04-10-2014   #202
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I really love the O'Brien hire here, but I have to admit that I'm scared of Bradley.
I think Bradley could be a good coach, but coaching the Jags is going to be like coaching the Cardinals, or the Browns. They need a lot more than just a coach. If I were a Jags fan, I want to be hearing that they are spending a lot of energy changing the culture, not just in the locker room, but in the whole organization, from top to bottom.

That was one of the things that I liked most about when Kubiak came here. He wasn't just about change in the locker room & it appeared that McNair bought in as well.

I like Whisenhunt. I think he's a good coach & thought he did a good job in Arizona with what he had to work with. I think the Titans are a better organization than the Cardinals & it's going to be tough in the AFC South.
Old 04-10-2014   #203
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rd.1 Nix
Rd.3 DaQuan Jones
3-4. Justin Ellis who I also believe has the feet to play the 5 tech.
Rd.5 Beau Allen/Carrethers/Caraun Reid
Rd.6 Deandre Coleman, who could also play the 5 tech/Zack Kerr/Khyri Thorton
Rd.7 Mike Pennel/Robert Thomas/Bruce Gaston
That's a pretty good list there. I'm really hoping for One or two of Ellis, Allen, Carrethers and Coleman. Pennel is huge but probably to much of a project to draft. Not a fan of Ried as a NT in this defense. No McCullers?
Old 04-10-2014   #204
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
That's a pretty good list there. I'm really hoping for One or two of Ellis, Allen, Carrethers and Coleman. Pennel is huge but probably to much of a project to draft. Not a fan of Ried as a NT in this defense. No McCullers?
Think steelb has McCullers as DE.
Old 04-10-2014   #205
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Quote:
Kelvin Benjamin 30th in my new rankings. Was told KB recently blew off workout w NFL coach who had made special trip, said he was too tired
Maybe his hands hurt from footballs bouncing off of them... ?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #206
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Think steelb has McCullers as DE.
Quote:
That's an awfully big DE.
Old 04-10-2014   #207
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
I believe it is an issue with his height and leverage. As a NT he is vulnerable to getting blockers under his pads and getting moved.

As a DE he has the height and long arms you look for.
Old 04-10-2014   #208
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I believe it is an issue with his height and leverage. As a NT he is vulnerable to getting blockers under his pads and getting moved.

As a DE he has the height and long arms you look for.
He can definitely keep OL off of the OLB's at DE and with Watt/Clowney/McCullers there should be more than a few balls batted down at the LOS.

McCullers will be a perfect 5 tech. He was miscast as a NT. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #209
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He can definitely keep OL off of the OLB's at DE and with Watt/Clowney/McCullers there should be more than a few balls batted down at the LOS.

McCullers will be a perfect 5 tech. He was miscast as a NT. IMHO
Makes sense. Hey the bigger the better on the front three. I would prefer two guys who have the best combination of size and effort. We already have one smaller DE in Watt. Put some meat around around him and Protect him.
Old 04-11-2014   #210
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179496 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014celebrity.php
Old 04-12-2014   #211
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Torn at the top???

Scott Bischoff ‏@Bischoff_Scott
Quote:
Talking to someone I trust today concerning No. 1 overall pick. GM wants Bridgewater, HC wants Clowney, Owner wants Manziel.
Questionable, imo.

Last edited by Playoffs; 04-12-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-12-2014   #212
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
That could be literally any football team. Sounds like St. Louis though.

Definitely not the Texans. Our guys are a solid cohesive unit.
Old 04-12-2014   #213
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Big guys like Haloti Ngata and B.J. Raji have had success at DE in BAL and GB's 3-4 defenses, but those guys are much more explosive.

Ngata
Weigh-In: 6-4, 338
Bench: 37 reps
Vertical: 31.5
Broad: 110.0

Raji
Weigh-In: 6-2, 337
Bench: 33 reps
Vertical: 32.0
Broad: 103.0

McCullers
Weigh-In: 6-7, 352
Bench: 27 reps
Vertical: 20.5
Broad: 97.0

They are also better pass rushers and football players in general. McCullers could play DE, but I wouldn't expect much production out of him. He's a big body that was immovable for most college linemen, but so was Terrance Cody. He won't go very far unless he develops some tangible football skills other than just being big. He has no burst off the snap and his playing level is inconsistent.

Unless he suddenly becomes a great athlete or improves his technique dramatically, he will just be a big guy playing football instead of a football player that happens to be big. This is what I think of every time someone mentions McCullers as a NT. He's #98....

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #214
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Talking to someone I trust today concerning No. 1 overall pick. GM wants Bridgewater, HC wants Clowney, Owner wants Manziel.
Makes sense.

GM's generally prefer safer picks because busts mainly reflect on them.

HC's generally prefer the most talented player because they believe they can mold anyone into a good player.

Owner's generally prefer the guy who will bring the most money into the organization because the organization is first and foremost a business.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #215
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

League will be non too happy about the leaks, but some are suggesting it was not from anyone with teams.

Greg Peshek ‏@NU_Gap
Quote:
While Wonderlic scores leak, look at this study which says there's no relationship between score & performance (PDF) http://www.psychology.uga.edu/people...n%20press).pdf
Old 04-12-2014   #216
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Makes sense.

HC's generally prefer the most talented player because they believe they can mold anyone into a good player.

Owner's generally prefer the guy who will bring the most money into the organization because the organization is first and foremost a business.
Also, owners can also still be fans more than true talent evaluators. That said, it will be up to one of the other two to convince the with the biggest stick errr wallet to be convinced that they way is the right one.
Old 04-14-2014   #217
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Is [Florida DT] Dominique Easley Worth the Risk?
Old 04-14-2014   #218
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Big guys like Haloti Ngata and B.J. Raji have had success at DE in BAL and GB's 3-4 defenses, but those guys are much more explosive.

Ngata
Weigh-In: 6-4, 338
Bench: 37 reps
Vertical: 31.5
Broad: 110.0

Raji
Weigh-In: 6-2, 337
Bench: 33 reps
Vertical: 32.0
Broad: 103.0

McCullers
Weigh-In: 6-7, 352
Bench: 27 reps
Vertical: 20.5
Broad: 97.0

They are also better pass rushers and football players in general. McCullers could play DE, but I wouldn't expect much production out of him. He's a big body that was immovable for most college linemen, but so was Terrance Cody. He won't go very far unless he develops some tangible football skills other than just being big. He has no burst off the snap and his playing level is inconsistent.

Unless he suddenly becomes a great athlete or improves his technique dramatically, he will just be a big guy playing football instead of a football player that happens to be big. This is what I think of every time someone mentions McCullers as a NT. He's #98....

You mean like Myers getting knocked on his butt by Jenkins?

It happens

Halapio?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014   #219
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

WR Josh Gordon still thinks Browns will draft a QB

Quote:
Josh Gordon raised some eyebrows when he said he was "pretty sure" the Browns would draft a quarterback with the fourth pick when he was on ESPN last month...

He's become a little more diplomatic and vague now but still thinks the Browns will draft a quarterback--however he wouldn't say if he thought it would be with the fourth overall pick.

"From talking with Ray Farmer, I'm still pretty sure we're going to take a quarterback," Gordon said in an exclusive interview with FOX Sports Ohio in Rochester, N.Y. on Saturday.
Gordon gave his assessment of the top quarterbacks in this year's draft.

Quote:
"Blake Bortles seems like a real tall, sturdy quarterback that might be able to withstand a strong conference like ours," Gordon said. "He looks like he might be able to battle attrition and stay healthy.

"Johnny Manziel is a real fireball, athletic player," he said. "A really polarizing, electric figure, who will bring a lot of fans out and be an exciting player.

"Derek Carr has an amazing arm on him and he has run the West Coast offense.

"Teddy Bridgewater is an amazing athlete," he said. "I really don't think you can lose with any of those guys."
Old 04-16-2014   #220
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This might have applied a couple of months ago, but I think hardly applies now.

TB could potentially be the biggest bust of the draft if taken in the top 10.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read