Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-26-2014   #201
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we rebuilding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Yeah. Slow and steady wins the race. I mean, look how well we've been doing that since 2002. Look how long our last winning "era" lasted. WoooHooo!

The Texans need to pursue winning like their lives depended on it and with an obsession bordering on unhealthy. I know that's not going to happen but this slow building process crap is just that. Crap. Any process that takes more than three years to start producing wins on a better than .500 level is inadequate in todays game, in my opinion. It can be done in two years and it happens often enough that I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for that.
Hey, man, as long as we're on the right track (and the stadium keeps selling out), I don't see a problem here.

And the beat goes on...
Old 03-27-2014   #202
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Yeah. Slow and steady wins the race. I mean, look how well we've been doing that since 2002. Look how long our last winning "era" lasted. WoooHooo!

The Texans need to pursue winning like their lives depended on it and with an obsession bordering on unhealthy. I know that's not going to happen but this slow building process crap is just that. Crap. Any process that takes more than three years to start producing wins on a better than .500 level is inadequate in todays game, in my opinion. It can be done in two years and it happens often enough that I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
That's what I always felt but not any longer. I'm leaning to the opposite way now. If O'Brien doesn't do great in 2-3 years, can him and start over. If we draft a QB and he ends up looking more like Bradford than Luck...draft another one. My patience ran out with Capers/Carr & Kubiak/Schaub. Close just doesn't cut it for me anymore.
I'm not sure where the two of you are disagreeing with my statement.

I'm not talking about some slow three year rebuild.

I'm talking about shedding the dead weight right now and taking our lumps for one season. Instead of dragging this out into a multi-year rebuild, let's try to get rid of anyone who isn't part of the long term plan and start bringing in guys who are. Will we suck next year? Yeah, probably. But let's get the foundation built right now so we can start to have some continued success around here.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #203
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

I'm talking about shedding the dead weight right now and taking our lumps for one season. Instead of dragging this out into a multi-year rebuild, let's try to get rid of anyone who isn't part of the long term plan and start bringing in guys who are. Will we suck next year? Yeah, probably. But let's get the foundation built right now so we can start to have some continued success around here.
We're all on the same page. We just have different ways of expressing it.
Old 03-27-2014   #204
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is where I'm at with this.

I'm not in the camp where I expect an immediate turn around. It would be nice. But I'm not expecting more than a season to get this team rebuilt in the O'Brien/RAC mold.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #205
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This is where I'm at with this.

I'm not in the camp where I expect an immediate turn around. It would be nice. But I'm not expecting more than a season to get this team rebuilt in the O'Brien/RAC mold.
Exactly. This 2-14 team is not the same as the 2-14 team Kubiak took over. I don't expect to look at the roster going into 2016 and see 2 members of the 2013 team still present. I expect a substantially better 2014 to mid NFL and then back in the playoff picture as more than a just squeaked in by luck team in 2015.
Old 03-27-2014   #206
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

how talented was the 2-14 lead by capers compared to dis 2-14 team I guess it might be kinda be different cus kubes 2-14 proved they could win games previous 2 season were 12-4 and 10-6 but they also had a knack for tanking season alla going 9-7 then the following year 6-10

but Capers team before going 2-14 they went 7-9 should of went 8-8 so I think some talent was there
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #207
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
how talented was the 2-14 lead by capers compared to dis 2-14 team I guess it might be kinda be different cus kubes 2-14 proved they could win games previous 2 season were 12-4 and 10-6 but they also had a knack for tanking season alla going 9-7 then the following year 6-10

but Capers team before going 2-14 they went 7-9 should of went 8-8 so I think some talent was there
Nope. Pro bowler Gary Walker -> career over injury. Domanick Davis -> career over injury. Seth Payne -> career over injury. Kailee Wong -> career over injury. Jamie Sharper -> career over injury. And a Travant for a Carr.
Old 03-27-2014   #208
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Nope. Pro bowler Gary Walker -> career over injury. Domanick Davis -> career over injury. Seth Payne -> career over injury. Kailee Wong -> career over injury. Jamie Sharper -> career over injury. And a Travant for a Carr.
I was kinda young during the capers era so I didn't follow player to player but IMO how many pro bowlers does not mean what type of team u have... what I meant did the capers era payers have the potential to be great if givin more time or heck stuck with capers for 8 years ..???
Old 03-27-2014   #209
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I was kinda young during the capers era so I didn't follow player to player but IMO how many pro bowlers does not mean what type of team u have... what I meant did the capers era payers have the potential to be great if givin more time or heck stuck with capers for 8 years ..???
It would help if you wrote more clearly.

If what you're asking is if there was talent on the team that would have matured into a great team if Capers had been given more time, the answer is no. What Cak was referring to in the quote you had was that the core players that had given Capers' team a chance were all old and/or broken down. That team had gone as far as it was going to go and no matter who the coach/gm was, they were going to have to infuse the team with new talent almost from top to bottom and that was going to take a couple of years, no matter what happened or who your coach was.

Casserly had drafted so poorly outside of the first round (and even in the first round) that the team had almost no young players being developed.
Old 03-27-2014   #210
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not really disagreeing but I see now that it looks like I was. I'm not very eloquent.

When the Texans started out I expected a slow 5 year progression. 2-14, 4-12, 6-10, 8-8, winning record. I was pretty close until they bombed out. I expected the same when Kubiak took over. I just don't care about what happens next year - new system, lots of rookies including HC and possibly QB... I can about year 2. If we aren't competing for the division and/or a playoff spot still in week 15/16 then fire everyone and start over. My patience meter is toast.
Old 03-27-2014   #211
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 7152 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Wasn't Davis another one of those "got cleared by the Team Doctors but refused to cause he said his knee didn't feel right"

Your man... Pots and pans
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #212
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Wasn't Davis another one of those "got cleared by the Team Doctors but refused to cause he said his knee didn't feel right"
CnD would remember it in more detail but as I recall he was "fully healed" but never could get over the residual pain/instability.
Old 03-27-2014   #213
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
He had no more cartilage left, iirc. He was in a bone-on-bone situation. From what I recall, the docs basically said that he could play... if he could stand the pain.

It wasn't like he wimped out or didn't have the heart for it.
Old 03-27-2014   #214
Norg
Hall of Fame

so we can pretty much agree it will take BOB about 2 years 2 get this team back into championship level team

heck it took Kubes 5 years so yeahhh unless BOB is the next GOAT coach IDK and he does not even have his OWN GM
Old 03-27-2014   #215
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 221176 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Are we rebuilding?

I'm quite certain the 2017 Super Bowl location was discussed in the interview with O'Brien. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #216
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Tania Ganguli on ESPN re. SB odds:
Quote:
The Texans have remained at 30-1, second in the division to the Indianapolis Colts who checked in at 25-1 on April 7. Tuley cited Indianapolis as a team that might be worth a flier, "unless the Texans finally play up to their potential." The Titans' Super Bowl odds are 60-1 and the Jaguars' are 200-1.

Thanks doc... seems to reitterate what I've been thinking about 2014. We may not be very good. We have huge holes all over our roster, but at least 9 teams on our schedule are as bad, if not worse than we are.

It's an opportunity, I think, to help continue to build the habit of winning. I know OB is going to try to win every game next season. Wouldn't be worth a darn if he didn't. I know the roster isn't going to look exactly like he wants. But he'll deal with it.

I know Andre likes to win, hates to lose. I know Jj & Cush feel the same. We most likely won't be title contenders next season, but we don't need to be to have a winning record against the teams we'll be facing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read