Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-09-2014   #1061
Texas Nomad
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Texas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

As long as it is an actual camp competition and the best candidate starts I'll be supportive. I have never believed Keenum was starter stock but I could be proven wrong. I wish most of all that Yates would come out on top. Never believe he was afforded the shot he deserved.
Old 04-09-2014   #1062
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Nomad View Post
As long as it is an actual camp competition and the best candidate starts I'll be supportive. I have never believed Keenum was starter stock but I could be proven wrong. I wish most of all that Yates would come out on top. Never believe he was afforded the shot he deserved.
I always felt the same way but I think Bill O'Brien will walk out of camp with the best QB as starter. Yates hasn't ever shown much improvement over the season where he finished the job to take us to the playoffs, though.
Old 04-10-2014   #1063
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Nomad View Post
correct me if I am wrong, doesn't Yates fit O'Brien's criteria for prototype QB?

6'4" 220lb, decent arm...

Yates shows something in the preseason and training camp running this offense, he could damn well come out of this as the starter. He has just as good a chance as any QB still on this roster...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #1064
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114521 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
correct me if I am wrong, doesn't Yates fit O'Brien's criteria for prototype QB?

Yates shows something in the preseason and training camp running this offense, he could damn well come out of this as the starter. He has just as good a chance as any QB still on this roster...
He has been my wildcard the last couple months. he even stated he was upset because he is never mentioned. I just question his commitment to the game at times because of some twitter comments. Sophmoric jokes etc....especially with Ben Jones.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #1065
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not sure why but I never realized he was that tall.

I still think Case played better last year, but that is OB's prototype size.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #1066
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Not sure why but I never realized he was that tall.

I still think Case played better last year, but that is OB's prototype size.
Yates only played one half of a game in which we were already down and without any energy IIRC.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #1067
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114521 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Yates only played one half of a game in which we were already down and without any energy IIRC.
This.

As already mentioned there should have been "some" semblance of a competition for the #1 QB spot after Yates lead us to the playoffs. Guy was just completely forgotten after his one half last year.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #1068
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
This.

As already mentioned there should have been "some" semblance of a competition for the #1 QB spot after Yates lead us to the playoffs. Guy was just completely forgotten after his one half last year.
Do you think O'Brien feels he may already have his QB in Yates, should have enough film on him and he is an O'Brien prototype, to let him, Fitzpatrick and Case battle it out for #1?

This would mean Texans trading back and/or taking Clowney at #1...

Does Yates have enough to offer more than any of the three QB's in the draft that O'Brien bypasses a QB this year? OR draft a QB in the later rounds and let him sit for a year or two...

Haso...the plot thickens...

Old 04-10-2014   #1069
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Throughout last season, I was saying the best thing that could happen for Keenum, was that Kubiak doesn't lose his job. I thought Kubiak took a liking to the kid & was wowed just as much as we were when we saw the plays that he made.

With another coach coming in though & with what we saw from our QBs in 2013, I can't imagine not drafting a QB in the first or second round of the draft. If that happens, then Case's time in Houston has passed.

Same for Tj. OB is going to bring in his own guy & while it might be a fair competition to see who starts for us in 2014, Case/Tj are on their way out. Best thing for either of them now, is that they earn the starting job (which I do believe is up for grabs) & make the most of their opportunity. It might be six games, it might be eight games, if they're lucky & we're beating up on the chumps we've got on our schedule, maybe they can get a whole season out of it.

But they're just a place holder for whoever we draft in 2014... that's if we get someone in the first two rounds. Like I said, I can't see us not drafting a QB in the first two rounds, but if we draft someone in the third, or later, I can see a Case Keenum, Tj Yates, or even Fitzpatrick sticking around a little longer.
Old 04-10-2014   #1070
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Throughout last season, I was saying the best thing that could happen for Keenum, was that Kubiak doesn't lose his job. I thought Kubiak took a liking to the kid & was wowed just as much as we were when we saw the plays that he made.

With another coach coming in though & with what we saw from our QBs in 2013, I can't imagine not drafting a QB in the first or second round of the draft. If that happens, then Case's time in Houston has passed.

Same for Tj. OB is going to bring in his own guy & while it might be a fair competition to see who starts for us in 2014, Case/Tj are on their way out. Best thing for either of them now, is that they earn the starting job (which I do believe is up for grabs) & make the most of their opportunity. It might be six games, it might be eight games, if they're lucky & we're beating up on the chumps we've got on our schedule, maybe they can get a whole season out of it.

But they're just a place holder for whoever we draft in 2014... that's if we get someone in the first two rounds. Like I said, I can't see us not drafting a QB in the first two rounds, but if we draft someone in the third, or later, I can see a Case Keenum, Tj Yates, or even Fitzpatrick sticking around a little longer.

and pretty much every fan in Houston agrees with that, but starting Keenum was more a McNair decision to spark a down fan base. McNair has this infatuation about hometown boys becoming hometown heroes and the reality is they end up being more pumpkin than hero...

I could see Yates and Fitzzy battling it out for the #1 and Rookie is #3, meaning what you said, Keenum on his way to probably Cleveland or Baltimore...

Old 04-10-2014   #1071
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and pretty much every fan in Houston agrees with that, but starting Keenum was more a McNair decision to spark a down fan base. McNair has this infatuation about hometown boys becoming hometown heroes and the reality is they end up being more pumpkin than hero...
I thought McNair wanted Case to start to lock in that #1 overall pick.

Seriously.
Old 04-10-2014   #1072
Pitbull 56
Rookie

Section: My LazyBoy.
Rep Power: 0 Pitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the starter will be Fitzpatrick or Case.
Pitbull 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #1073
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 9542 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull 56 View Post
I think the starter will be Fitzpatrick or Case.
This. And Case goes 8-0 to make his NFL record 8-8
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #1074
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Well

Fitz could be the Stop gap vet starter

Case only chance is if he lights it up in PS

TJ is the WC IMO hes gonna have to work hard to prove hes better then case or at least be a 3rd stringer

NEW Rookie Draft QB ...well hes gonna have it made

IDK if BOB will keep 2 QB's or 3 if he keeps 2 well then TJ and CASE are going to have to be lights out IMO
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #1075
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Case only chance is if he lights it up in PS
PS means nothing. Next to nothing. If OB likes what he sees in practice, Case has got a shot. The preseason will be treated like games that don't count. We'll be vanilla, if the QB can only handle vanilla (being the first season in this system, we'll most likely be vanilla).

It'll be about seeing our offense vs whatever vanilla defense our opponents play against us. It's an opportunity to get it on film so they'll something "real" to talk about on Monday. They'll identify mistakes, opportunities, and a slew of other possibilities, there will probably be a lot of, "In a real game, we'll do this...." & stuff like that.

Fans are the only ones looking for anyone to "light it up" in the preseason. If I were a coach, I'd rather see a mistake, get it on film, instead of seeing some Johnny Football highlight real. One offers a coaching opportunity, something to build off of, the other offers nothing of any value.

You'll probably win the preseason, but you won't be prepared for week 1. Then you're playing catch up for week 2, & you're further behind the rest of the league in week 3.
Old 04-11-2014   #1076
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
PS means nothing. Next to nothing. If OB likes what he sees in practice, Case has got a shot. The preseason will be treated like games that don't count. We'll be vanilla, if the QB can only handle vanilla (being the first season in this system, we'll most likely be vanilla).

It'll be about seeing our offense vs whatever vanilla defense our opponents play against us. It's an opportunity to get it on film so they'll something "real" to talk about on Monday. They'll identify mistakes, opportunities, and a slew of other possibilities, there will probably be a lot of, "In a real game, we'll do this...." & stuff like that.

Fans are the only ones looking for anyone to "light it up" in the preseason. If I were a coach, I'd rather see a mistake, get it on film, instead of seeing some Johnny Football highlight real. One offers a coaching opportunity, something to build off of, the other offers nothing of any value.

You'll probably win the preseason, but you won't be prepared for week 1. Then you're playing catch up for week 2, & you're further behind the rest of the league in week 3.
Man and that is a train that is hard to get back on track. I agree, lighting it up shows nothing really, especially playing against bubble players.

That is how everybody started buzzing about Keenum, he lit it up in preseason, started strong when h got the start, then fizzled when DC had enough on tape to plan against.

Old 04-11-2014   #1077
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 102779 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

from all i've seen and heard, yates's greatest asset is between his ears ... and that hasnt seemed to have developed as well as many have hoped. he's got a much weaker arm than schaub, and while mobile, doesnt move inside or out of the pocket very well. "size is a talent" as phil simms says, but worthless if there's nothing to it.

dont get me wrong, i'd love to see yates turn it on, but i havent seen any progression at all. if anything i think he's regressed, and lost the mental acumen that made him special.
Old 04-11-2014   #1078
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
from all i've seen and heard, yates's greatest asset is between his ears ... and that hasnt seemed to have developed as well as many have hoped. he's got a much weaker arm than schaub, and while mobile, doesnt move inside or out of the pocket very well. "size is a talent" as phil simms says, but worthless if there's nothing to it.

dont get me wrong, i'd love to see yates turn it on, but i havent seen any progression at all. if anything i think he's regressed, and lost the mental acumen that made him special.
This i something I haven't heard before, I knew it wasn't much stronger, but a lot weaker?
Old 04-11-2014   #1079
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 102779 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
This i something I haven't heard before, I knew it wasn't much stronger, but a lot weaker?
from what little we've seen on the field he's not close to schaub, from what i've heard through camps side by side it's even further apart. schaub gets a lot of negative publicity for his arm because he underthrows deep balls, but that isnt accurate to his true arm strength. nobody's going to mistake schaub and stafford, but he can drive the ball as much as he wants to. yates doesnt have that ability to plant and drive it when needed, at least as far as i can tell.
Old 04-11-2014   #1080
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I'd say all three of last year's QBs were in the same non-exceptional bucket on arm strength. Over discussed topic IMO and greatly exaggerated. Schaub hucked one 65 yards in the air in the last game. His under throwing deep balls was an accuracy/decision making problem rather than arm strength.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read