Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-08-2014   #41
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rank Team Needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honored82 View Post
According to Rotoworld this is our starting line up. This should help understand better where our Biggest Need is.

Texans Current First-Team Offense

QB: Ryan Fitzpatrick
RB: Arian Foster
WR: Andre Johnson
WR: DeAndre Hopkins
TE: Garrett Graham
TE: Ryan Griffin
LT: Duane Brown
LG: Ben Jones
C: Chris Myers
RG: Brandon Brooks
RT: Derek Newton

Texans Current First-Team Defense

LE: J.J. Watt
RE: Jared Crick
NT: Jerrell Powe
ILB: Brian Cushing
ILB: Jeff Tarpinian
OLB: Whitney Mercilus
OLB: Brooks Reed
LCB: Kareem Jackson
RCB: Johnathan Joseph
FS: Chris Clemons
SS: D.J. Swearinger
call me crazy or a homer - or both. i dont think that's a bad lineup overall. the two that stand out to me are derek newton and jeff tarpinian ... neither have any business being near a starting job. most of the rest are at worst competent starters, and all the way up to all-pros. i think quess takes over at LG, there's no guarantee that fitz is the QB, and we'll have a draft pick or two win starting jobs on defense. provided we address those two most glaring holes (RT and ILB) and do a fair amount of work building depth, i'm ok going into next season with that lineup.
Old 04-08-2014   #42
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

double
Old 04-08-2014   #43
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 9542 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Definitely does not look bad at all. They are all starters if the season started today. Offense looks better than Defense.

Offense : RT needs upgrade immediately. Ben jones and Quess should handle LG
Defense : DE, NT, ILB needs upgrade immediately.

so Just 5 dire need positions including QB. We need a Quality ILB in the early rounds. NT, CB, RB, TE, WR can wait for later rounds.
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #44
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

The 1st team defense looks horrendous compared to the offense, and that's including the Fitz at QB. Especially the front 7. Watt, Cush then bleh
Old 04-08-2014   #45
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 71306 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

QB
RT
Nick DB
DE
NT
depth at all other positions

Not too concerned with the DE and NT in this defense, I know you need a big fat guy to plug holes but may need to go with what you can this year and look for those positions next year...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Pickpatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #46
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 9542 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The 1st team defense looks horrendous compared to the offense, and that's including the Fitz at QB. Especially the front 7. Watt, Cush then bleh
Add Clowney, and then we will get Instant Media attention!!!
Old 04-08-2014   #47
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
According to Rotoworld this is our starting line up. This should help understand better where our Biggest Need is.

RB: Arian Foster
WR: Andre Johnson
WR: DeAndre Hopkins
LT: Duane Brown
C: Chris Myers

LE: J.J. Watt
ILB: Brian Cushing
LCB: Kareem Jackson
RCB: Johnathan Joseph
The bolded positions need serious upgrading.
And as everyone has said, we need quality depth, especially on defense. A decent nickle CB or cover safety would be great. A quality OLB to rush the passer and a ILB that can cover when needed are needed to build a solid D.
I'm convinced we would have won more games last year if the first string defense didn't have to be on the field so long OR if there wasn't such a drop-off when the second string came out.

Oh and have I mentioned to you guys that RT is an issue...?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #48
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Add Clowney, and then we will get Instant Media attention!!!
WINNING will get us all the media attention we need.
Old 04-08-2014   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

RB: Arian Foster*
WR: Andre Johnson*
WR: DeAndre Hopkins*
LT: Duane Brown*
C: Chris Myers*

LE: J.J. Watt*
ILB: Brian Cushing*
LCB: Kareem Jackson*
RCB: Johnathan Joseph*
* means bonafide starter, possible pro-bowl/all-pro player.

I'm giving DAndre the benefit of the doubt. I feel really good about him. I like players who get in, go to work, & let their play speak for them. I don't have problem with a guy who runs off at the mouth & backs it up, but Dj Swag's play has a little catching up to do. I saw flashes. Just need to see more.

I like Brandon Brooks, I think he can be a solid starter. I'm not seeing pro-bowl or All-pro caliber, but maybe it's there. I also like Ben Jones. I think he plays well enough & would be a solid starter if he had the opportunity to play more.

I think Crick is about the same on the other side of the ball. He'll be a good solid starter.

I like Chris Clemons, or at least what I've read. I like him enough not to panic about FS. I like Tarpinian (I also like Mohamed)

That's a nice football team. Not championship caliber or anything like that, but if they get better QB play than what we had last season, that team can win in 2014.

If we can get just 3 starters out of this draft (I know, asking a lot) then that's a very good roster. Add a franchise QB & I can see play offs year after year after year.
Old 04-08-2014   #50
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

We wont know the biggest needs until we know what type of offense and defense they plan on running. Probably wont know that until after the draft.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #51
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Lets get dis Beast CLowney and THe rest of the draft will be rosey has long has we have him

it will make our entire Def that much better he will effect the Lber core and the secondary

has far has needs man we need help everwhere cus last year we sucked hardcore
We need to make sure to get a new NI. (Norg Interpreter)

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #52
honored82
Veteran

lol but seriously though we need to add a good DE and LB. Look what other teams have done in our division, while we did nothing

Jags added Defensive ends Chris Clemons and Red Bryant.
Colts added DE Arthur Jones and LB D'Qwell Jackson
Titans added DE Shaun Phillips and LB Wesley Woodyard
Old 04-09-2014   #53
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
We need to make sure to get a new NI. (Norg Interpreter)

Mike
ets get dis Beast CLowney and THe rest of the draft will be rosey has long has we have him

it will make our entire Def that much better he will effect the Lber core and the secondary

He said:

We should draft Clowney, who might I add, is a beast. If we draft him, we can tank the rest of the draft, as long as we got Clowney in the first. He will make not only the Dline better, but it will also impact the Linebackers in a positive fashion. (We have?) needs everywhere, so we should look to improve from last year, because last year just wasn't that good.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #54
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
ets get dis Beast CLowney and THe rest of the draft will be rosey has long has we have him

He said:

We should draft Clowney, who might I add, is a beast. If we draft him, we can tank the rest of the draft, as long as we got Clowney in the first. He will make not only the Dline better, but it will also impact the Linebackers in a positive fashion. (We have?) needs everywhere, so we should look to improve from last year, because last year just wasn't that good.
Not bad...
Do you do CoachSpeak too?
Old 04-09-2014   #55
Pitbull 56
Rookie

Section: My LazyBoy.
Rep Power: 0 Pitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respected

QB.

ILB.

DE.

I don't think there is a QB in the 14 class worth the 1st pick with that being said, I would have to roll with Clowney. Hopefully, McCarron falls to the 3rd.

Pitbull 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #56
Texas Nomad
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Texas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull 56 View Post
QB.

ILB.

DE.

I don't think there is a QB in the 14 class worth the 1st pick with that being said, I would have to roll with Clowney. Hopefully, McCarron falls to the 3rd.

Congrats on the new grandchild oldtimer.
Old 04-09-2014   #57
honored82
Veteran

DE Stephon Tuitt is visiting the Texans Thursday. May be he is on the radar for pick 2.1 and Bortles with 1.1
Old 04-10-2014   #58
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lol but seriously though we need to add a good DE and LB. Look what other teams have done in our division, while we did nothing

Jags added Defensive ends Chris Clemons and Red Bryant.
Colts added DE Arthur Jones and LB D'Qwell Jackson
Titans added DE Shaun Phillips and LB Wesley Woodyard
Maybe that means we need to add OL?
Old 04-10-2014   #59
honored82
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Maybe that means we need to add OL?
Yea, Mercilus has not lived up to his First Round Pick expectations. Either way we need to put pressure on QB's. Not sure how our QB will perform with those FA signings our division rivals have done.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read