Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-03-2014   #141
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manning released

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Why is everyone so obsessed with what we're calling it? This has spilled over into multiple threads now. I don't care what it is, as long as it works and sets this franchise up with a plan for long term success.
Agreed

But after a decade I'm starting to question the McNair's commitment to building a long term on the field successful product.

You will never convince me that BoB McNair is as dumb as MB posters make him out to be when it comes to putting a successful product on the field.

Yeah, those are the type of guys that become billionaires.

Yes, the Texans are and should be in a rebuilding mode.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #142
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
Former #Texans Safety Danieal Manning doing a one-year deal with the Bengals
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #143
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That's his point. Matt Schaub was the better QB over those years. Better than Flacco as well, but... those guys have Super Bowls & we don't.

Just because the teams you mentioned have better QBs than we do, don't mean a whole lot. For all the good they are, they sure don't win a lot of games. & when we're talking about them being on our schedule next season, the fact that they are on those teams mean nothing.

We don't know who our QB is going to be, but our team has demonstrated more recently than they have with their "established" QBs, that they know how to win.
I've already conceded that the mere presence of those QBs doesn't mean we'll automatically lose those games. In fact, if Schaub was still here and running the offense he knows, I'd say we'd have a damn good chance of kicking their a$$es. (Flame on, Schaub haters). But truth is they have better quality at QB than we do. At least right now.

And as somewhat of an aside, how is it when I say the best athlete/player in the draft ISN'T one of the "wunderkind" QBs but Robinson or Watkins or Clowney or Matthews and that's where we should spend our 1-1 pick, I get shouted down with cries of "Ya gotta go QB because he'll have the biggest impact!"
Okay...QB = biggest impact guy. got it.

Then when I say, "We're behind the power curve QB-wise against some of the teams that are in a similar 'rebuild' state as we are, therefore they have an edge." You say, "the fact that they are on those teams mean nothing" Even though they've had more success (depending on how you measure it) than any of our current guys.

So which is it? Un-confuse me.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #144
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
And as somewhat of an aside, how is it when I say the best athlete/player in the draft ISN'T one of the "wunderkind" QBs but Robinson or Watkins or Clowney or Matthews and that's where we should spend our 1-1 pick, I get shouted down with cries of "Ya gotta go QB because he'll have the biggest impact!"
Okay...QB = biggest impact guy. got it.

Then when I say, "We're behind the power curve QB-wise against some of the teams that are in a similar 'rebuild' state as we are, therefore they have an edge." You say, "the fact that they are on those teams mean nothing" Even though they've had more success (depending on how you measure it) than any of our current guys.

So which is it? Un-confuse me.
It depends on who you're talking to. At no time have you heard me say QB is so important that we've got to take one of these mid first rounder, early second round QBs with our #1 overall.

I've said many times I think Watkins is the best prospect in this draft bar none, but I want Robinson.

Tell me this. How would you feel if you were a Redskins fan & your team must went 3-13 & for all you know RG3 may never be the same again.

Or that you're sending Romo out there again after missing the play offs again with a team you stripped bare to get under the cap.

Or that you've missed the play offs the last two seasons like the Steelers did & you're now #3 in your division.

I like franchise QBs as much as the next guy, but I'd much rather be winning.
Old 04-03-2014   #145
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It depends on who you're talking to. At no time have you heard me say QB is so important that we've got to take one of these mid first rounder, early second round QBs with our #1 overall.

I've said many times I think Watkins is the best prospect in this draft bar none, but I want Robinson.
Then we're on the same page. ...well you know I want Robinson (or Matthews if we trade down and Rob is gone).

Quote:
Tell me this. How would you feel if you were a Redskins fan & your team must went 3-13 & for all you know RG3 may never be the same again.
If RGII fails to recover, I've got Cousins to tide me over until I can find another guy

Quote:
Or that you're sending Romo out there again after missing the play offs again with a team you stripped bare to get under the cap.
As a cowboy fan (ugh, it hurts to think that way) I'm stuck with Jerrah. I have no hope until he stops being delusional and stops playing GM and behind the scenes HC.

Quote:
Or that you've missed the play offs the last two seasons like the Steelers did & you're now #3 in your division.
As a cocky Steeler fan I'd be "Everything runs in cycles. Chuck Knoll had slow years. So did Cowher. They bounced back and we WILL bounce back again." That's how they think. And historically, they haven't been far off.

Quote:
I like franchise QBs as much as the next guy, but I'd much rather be winning.
No argument there either. That's why I'd rather build a solid core this year - especially with ELEVEN draft picks and the possibility to get even more - and if O'Brien can't develop one of the guys we'll have this year (Fitz, Case, Yates, whichever new-guy O'Brien thinks is worthy) then we snag a guy next year.

We'll have to.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #146
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 33633 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't believe this. How big a pay cut did they ask him to take?

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=D...S&Team=Bengals

1 million base with a 100k bonus and another 500k in incentives. My guess was about right but thought the base would be at least 2 million.

The texans were asking him to come down to about 1.5 million or so based on report.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #147
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
I can't believe this. How big a pay cut did they ask him to take?

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=D...S&Team=Bengals

1 million base with a 100k bonus and another 500k in incentives. My guess was about right but thought the base would be at least 2 million.

The texans were asking him to come down to about 1.5 million or so based on report.
It was probably a shock to Manning to see what he was worth on the open market. I wish he'd taken the paycut and stayed here.
Old 04-07-2014   #148
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 33633 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
It was probably a shock to Manning to see what he was worth on the open market. I wish he'd taken the paycut and stayed here.
Yea maybe so. Thought he could get more on the open market but did not happen. Guessing he called ahead to KC to see what they would be offering since he stayed at Cincy to be the safety #3.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read