Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-05-2014   #1001
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 QB competition

In the back I'm my mind I'm hoping OB can make Keenum a bona fide starting NFL QB after we take Clowney and become a force next year....
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #1002
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22889 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Good players will make significant improvement in their skills and in their performance in their second year. Even though he had a practice squad season, Keenum was considered a first year player in 2013 so 2014 will be his second year. June Jones saw something in Case, so even though he had his problems last season, he should make significant improvements this year in his decision making and in his play. I give Case the edge on being the starter game one, provided we don't take a QB 1-1.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #1003
Nitrofish
FSM Rules!

Rep Power: 57899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I thought it was the other way around. That when Wilson started using his legs, the Texans' tactics stopped working.

Either way, the thing Wilson has done to make him so "spectacular" is that he's incredibly efficient & protects the football. He's averaged 100 passer rating two years in a row. That's amazing.

Even when Matt Schaub had an elite defense & an elite running game, he didn't average 100 passer rating. In 2011, when we should have won the Super Bowl, he averaged 96.8 playing in only 10 games.

For whatever reason, Wilson is very underrated right now. Maybe because he plays on such a good team, I don't know.
Re watch the game and you will see the D sugar rushing Wilson. Maintaining their lanes and not really trying to sack him, just keep him in the pocket. In the 2nd half the were full out rushing leaving all kinds of lanes for him to run through. He was only taking what they were giving him, which was wide open running lanes unlike in the first half.

Protecting the ball, and not turning it over is what he does best, but that is not an elite QB by any stretch in my eyes. Perhaps he will become that in the future, but as of now, at least in my eyes, he is nothing more than a middle of the road QB who minimizes mistakes.

I still think the Mallett trade is a possibility, but if O'Brien gives up a 2:1 for him, I am going to be very disappointed. Unless Mallett comes in and just kills it, which is possible, but IMO unlikely.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #1004
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Re watch the game and you will see the D sugar rushing Wilson. Maintaining their lanes and not really trying to sack him, just keep him in the pocket. In the 2nd half the were full out rushing leaving all kinds of lanes for him to run through. He was only taking what they were giving him, which was wide open running lanes unlike in the first half.

Protecting the ball, and not turning it over is what he does best, but that is not an elite QB by any stretch in my eyes. Perhaps he will become that in the future, but as of now, at least in my eyes, he is nothing more than a middle of the road QB who minimizes mistakes.

When you have a defense as good as theirs , that's all you ask of your QB , don't screw it up. I do somewhat agree with your eye test .... but think you may be selling him short as he can make a defense pay with either throwing or running.

Quote:
I still think the Mallett trade is a possibility, but if O'Brien gives up a 2:1 for him, I am going to be very disappointed. Unless Mallett comes in and just kills it, which is possible, but IMO unlikely.
I doubt a trade for Mallett is in the works & would be highly disappointed giving up #33 for him much less #33 and anything else. Yes , he has a big arm .... but that's not even a requirement for success , show me the ability to read a defense , slide in the pocket and make throws down the seams and to the deep outs.

Also concerning Mallett , I hesitate to trade premium draft picks for a guy who will be playing the final year of his rookie deal & then have to pony up standard QB money for after that year.
I much prefer to draft a guy & have him for multiple years on his rookie deal allowing you to spend those funds elsewhere then make adjustments once he comes off that rookie deal.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #1005
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
When you have a defense as good as theirs , that's all you ask of your QB , don't screw it up. I do somewhat agree with your eye test .... but think you may be selling him short as he can make a defense pay with either throwing or running.
Yeah, we've seen QBs who make minimal mistakes & benefit from suffocating defenses. Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, even Joe Flacco (not the Super Bowl, that was on Flacco).

Then we've seen young play making game managers make the most of their awesome defenses. Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger.....

Wilson is a lot closer to the Brady/Roethlisberger model than he is to the Dilfer/Johnson model.
Old 04-06-2014   #1006
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, we've seen QBs who make minimal mistakes & benefit from suffocating defenses. Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, even Joe Flacco (not the Super Bowl, that was on Flacco).

Then we've seen young play making game managers make the most of their awesome defenses. Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger.....

Wilson is a lot closer to the Brady/Roethlisberger model than he is to the Dilfer/Johnson model.
Was just about to make the Roethlisberger comparison. 1st two seasons:

Big Ben: 563 att., 64.6% comp., 5006 yds, 34 TDs, 20 INTs, 8.9 ypa, 192.5 ypg, 98.3 rating.
Wilson: 800 att., 63.6% comp., 6475 yds, 52 TDs, 19 INTs, 8.1 ypa, 202.3 ypg, 100.6 rating.

If anything Wilson has been asked to do more and done it as well or better. Not sure why he gets downplayed so much.
Old 04-06-2014   #1007
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Big Ben: 563 att., 64.6% comp., 5006 yds, 34 TDs, 20 INTs, 8.9 ypa, 192.5 ypg, 98.3 rating.
Wilson: 800 att., 63.6% comp., 6475 yds, 52 TDs, 19 INTs, 8.1 ypa, 202.3 ypg, 100.6 rating.

If anything Wilson has been asked to do more and done it as well or better. Not sure why he gets downplayed so much.
I used to down play Ben all the time. I think it was out of envy.
Old 04-06-2014   #1008
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:

If the 2014 edition of our Texans are going to have much success, this is the path they'll have to follow. Hopefully Romeo can construct a solid defense to minimize the points we give up (and maybe get a bunch of turnovers) Then lets hope Foster and A.J. can make some big plays to give us a shot at pulling out some wins. I just don't see Fitzpatrick/Yates/Keenum/rookie QB(s?) carrying this team to many wins. It's gonna have to be the 2005 Steelers/2013 Seahawks model if we're to contend in a serious fashion this year.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #1009
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Mallett seems like a nightmare for anything more than pick 4-1. Depth of this draft is too deep to trade for a guy you can have without a trade next offseason.
Old 04-07-2014   #1010
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think he gets downplayed, because in all honesty, how many games does he win on his own? Everyone on here criticized Schaub because he couldn't win games on his own, but can Wilson? IMO, I don't know, I just know he really hasn't have to.

Look at their performance in the playoffs this past season. They held the high-powered Saints offense scoreless for the first 3 quarters! They force 3 turnovers against the ball-controlled 49ers. And we all know what they did to the all-mighty Peyton Manning.

Tom Brady & the Pats put up 40 points (twice) against the Texans and all fans say is "Schaub can't put the team on his shoulders". The Seahawks gave up more than 24 points only ONCE this past season, and they lost that game against the Colts. Just for comparison, the Texans gave up more than 24 points 7 times in 2012.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #1011
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I think he gets downplayed, because in all honesty, how many games does he win on his own?
In 2 seasons Wilson has 8 4th qtr comebacks and 10 game winning drives.

In 2 seasons Luck has 8 4th qtr comebacks and 11 game winning drives.
Old 04-07-2014   #1012
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 30463 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Overall, the Seahawks are a much better team than the Colts. Not downplaying his accomplishments, but it doesn't feel like he's asked to do as much as Luck.
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #1013
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think he gets downplayed, because in all honesty, how many games does he win on his own? Everyone on here criticized Schaub because he couldn't win games on his own, but can Wilson? IMO, I don't know, I just know he really hasn't have to.
First, no QB actually wins games "on his own". I figure you know this but I just had to type it.

Second, no Texans' fan should question Wilson's ability to affect the outcome of a game after he brought the Seahawks back from being down 20 - 6 against the Texans last season. LINK

Then again, you might not want to dredge up this ugly memory.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #1014
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably the style of offense
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #1015
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Valid argument. He is clutch, I'll give you that.

But lets ask this. If his defense was "average", how good would the Seahawks be and how much would people be really talking about Russell Wilson? Last season, the Seahawks gave up 14.4 points/game. The NFL average is 23.4 points/game.

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing that he's not good or overrated. I'm simply stating why his performance has be "downgraded" by some. He really isn't being asked to do too much. He's even being asked to do alot less than Schaub has ever been asked to do as a Texan.
Old 04-07-2014   #1016
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Valid argument. He is clutch, I'll give you that.

But lets ask this. If his defense was "average", how good would the Seahawks be and how much would people be really talking about Russell Wilson? Last season, the Seahawks gave up 14.4 points/game. The NFL average is 23.4 points/game.

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing that he's not good or overrated. I'm simply stating why his performance has be "downgraded" by some. He really isn't being asked to do too much. He's even being asked to do alot less than Schaub has ever been asked to do as a Texan.
That Broken Version Of Schaub led Texans team had Wilson's SeaDucks on the ropes .... until his defense bailed him out.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #1017
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Second, no Texans' fan should question Wilson's ability to affect the outcome of a game after he brought the Seahawks back from being down 20 - 6 against the Texans last season. LINK

Then again, you might not want to dredge up this ugly memory.
Good example! So who's more responsible for this victory?

Wilson's play in the 2nd half? Or the defense's play in the 2nd half? I think majority would argue the defense. Yes, Wilson had a good 2nd half and helped contribute to the comeback, but he got ALOT of help from the D.
Old 04-07-2014   #1018
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
He's been asked to do enough that he has accounted for 54 passing TDs and another 6 on the ground.

I hear what you are saying as to why it is being done. I phrased things poorly in asking the original question. Personally I'm not going to downgrade him just for being on a good team and IMO he is contributing plenty.
Old 04-07-2014   #1019
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He's been asked to do enough that he has accounted for 54 passing TDs and another 6 on the ground.

I hear what you are saying as to why it is being done. I phrased things poorly in asking the original question. Personally I'm not going to downgrade him just for being on a good team and IMO he is contributing plenty.
Fair enough. I like Wilson and I see the talent, but I'd like to see what he can do if he was asked to score 20+ points/game.

Last edited by infantrycak; 04-07-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2014   #1020
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Fair enough. I like Wilson and I see the talent, but I'd like to see what he can do if he was asked to score 20+ points/game.
Kinda setting the bar high there. Only one QB in the league met that standard last year and he set a new NFL record doing it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read