Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-05-2014   #41
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why is Derek Newton Still a Texan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If Newton wasn't here, everyone would know we were targeting Greg Robinson. That's the only thing that makes sense.
You just HAD to go an blab!
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #42
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Newton wasn't here, everyone would know we were targeting Greg Robinson. That's the only thing that makes sense.
Yeah, the Texans are going to draft a RT #1 overall. That's just silly. LOL
Old 04-06-2014   #43
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 102617 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Most likely, those incentives were simply tied to games played specifically at RT. With his short arms, at the Draft for that reason Newton was deemed by many to project better at guard. Of course, the Texans have shown that they are willing to try short-armers at RT (Winston).
That would make sense. I could not figure out why they kept plugging him in there anyway when I felt like Harris was doing a better job than Newton.

I guess the short arms are the problem then because Winston while better than Newton at pass protection left a lot to be desired. Winston was certainly better in run blocking than Newton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It's still the offseason, with the draft and June 1st cuts to go. Let's wait before we panic about the RT position. I'm sure O' Brien has something in mind.
I sure hope you're right!

Quote:
I don't see the Texans taking an OT 1:1 and the only way I see us ending up with Robinson is if we trade back, then it might be a possibility, but very low possibility. I think the Texans already have their board in place, and the only thing that will change it at this point is a blockbuster trade, which is still possible.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz

Last edited by Nitrofish; 04-06-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #44
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
you forgot the sarcasm smiley
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #45
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Newton was raw when he got here and maybe he never got coached up. He is a big guy and with the right coaching he could be a good player. You can't teach that kind of size and he did come from a small school.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #46
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
with the amount of passing and the increasing number of teams that are attempting to use above average pass rushers from both sides (not just the blind side), I don't think having elite pass protecting OTs on both sides is as silly a notion as it would have been a decade ago.
Old 04-06-2014   #47
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
you forgot the sarcasm smiley

Happy? lol
Old 04-06-2014   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
with the amount of passing and the increasing number of teams that are attempting to use above average pass rushers from both sides (not just the blind side), I don't think having elite pass protecting OTs on both sides is as silly a notion as it would have been a decade ago.
& with the new CBA it opens the possibility to draft a lot of other positions. In the past, it was either a QB, LT, WR, DE, or CB because guys like Sam Bradford were coming into the league making more money than Tom Brady without ever throwing a pass.

Eric Fisher (last years #1 overall selection) had a cap number smaller than Eric Winstons had here in 2011. If people didn't have a problem paying Eric Winston $5M & would love to bring him back for $5M, it doesn't make sense to me not to draft Robinson.

& just because he plays RT doesn't make him a RT. He most likely will be better than Duane Brown when it's all said & done. People get all wet thinking about Jj Watt on one side & Clowney on the other. For me, thinking about Duane Brown on one side & Robinson on the other makes it wiggle.

We'll score on 80% of our possessions, or damn near. No matter how bad our defense is, it's going to be hard for other teams to keep up.
Old 04-06-2014   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We'll score on 80% of our possessions, or damn near. No matter how bad our defense is, it's going to be hard for other teams to keep up.
Without looking at anything name the top 5 RTs in the league?
Old 04-06-2014   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Without looking at anything name the top 5 RTs in the league?
Well theres... & ....

Again, I want to draft the best OT in the draft. If he's better than Brown..... he's better than Brown. If not, he's a RT & I'm fine with that, even if I can't name the five best in the league (kind of embarrassing that I was stumped at one though).

Actually, I want to draft the best player available, who is Watkins, but I think Robinson would help us more. I don't want Clowney or the QBs.
Old 04-06-2014   #51
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well theres... & ....

Again, I want to draft the best OT in the draft. If he's better than Brown..... he's better than Brown. If not, he's a RT & I'm fine with that, even if I can't name the five best in the league (kind of embarrassing that I was stumped at one though).

Actually, I want to draft the best player available, who is Watkins, but I think Robinson would help us more. I don't want Clowney or the QBs.
Well it's hard to judge what a great RT will do for a team or where they come from if they can't be named.

It also illustrates another consideration, not one that bars the pick but something to think about. Two WRs, DEs, LBs, DBs on a team can shine and get limelight. Julio Jones, Houshyourmama and Boldin are names casual fans know. Only the most fanatical fans know who the top RTs are and they essentially never get pro bowl or all pro accolades. A dude taken at 1.1 is going to want that plus it isn't just ego but bonuses are often tied to pro bowls and all pro selections so there is a very real monetary effect.
Old 04-06-2014   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well it's hard to judge what a great RT will do for a team or where they come from if they can't be named.

It also illustrates another consideration, not one that bars the pick but something to think about. Two WRs, DEs, LBs, DBs on a team can shine and get limelight. Julio Jones, Houshyourmama and Boldin are names casual fans know. Only the most fanatical fans know who the top RTs are and they essentially never get pro bowl or all pro accolades. A dude taken at 1.1 is going to want that plus it isn't just ego but bonuses are often tied to pro bowls and all pro selections so there is a very real monetary effect.
The casual fan probably can't name the top 5 offensive guards either, doesn't take away how important they can be for a football team. I'm saying the best OT in this draft will help our team, because I feel really good about what we have in Brown, Myers, & Brooks. & I think the best OT in the draft can help our QB, whoever he may be, get the time he needs to do his job. The best OT in the draft can help open holes for Foster & whoever his back up is going to be. The best OT in this draft will give all the receivers more time to get open.

And unlike the best DE in the draft, the best OT gives us depth at the LT position. If Jj Watt goes down, having Clowney isn't going to help us one bit. If Cushing gets hurt, I can see the best ILB taking his spot.

But still, I think the OT will have the biggest impact on our team.... it's not pretty, but this is football.
Old 04-06-2014   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
The casual fan probably can't name the top 5 offensive guards either, doesn't take away how important they can be for a football team. I'm saying the best OT in this draft will help our team, because I feel really good about what we have in Brown, Myers, & Brooks. & I think the best OT in the draft can help our QB, whoever he may be, get the time he needs to do his job. The best OT in the draft can help open holes for Foster & whoever his back up is going to be. The best OT in this draft will give all the receivers more time to get open.
You see any OGs being taken at the top of the draft?

The 2nd best OT can't do any of those things you say the best will do?

I agree a solution at RT is one of the top priorities for this offseason. I just disagree with what you want to spend, your impact estimate and the rosy picture you paint of having Brown and Robinson as a tandem for any length of time.
Old 04-06-2014   #54
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
^^^ This.

The NFL is constantly changing. A decade ago, I wouldn't have considered drafting a guy to play RT at 1-1.

But now?

It's affordable. If that's the position that's going to make the biggest impact, then go for it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #55
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The NFL is constantly changing. A decade ago, I wouldn't have considered drafting a guy to play RT at 1-1.

But now?

It's affordable. If that's the position that's going to make the biggest impact, then go for it.
Maybe. If you have a franchise QB. Right now the Texans have Ryan Fitzpatrick and Case Keenum. Spending the 1st pick in the draft on an OT seems like the cart before the horse.

RT will not make the biggest impact. Not even Manning or Brady have 2 1st round picks at OT. And they are worth that investment. First things first. Get a QB worth protecting.
Old 04-06-2014   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 175365 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe. If you have a franchise QB. Right now the Texans have Ryan Fitzpatrick and Case Keenum. Spending the 1st pick in the draft on an OT seems like the cart before the horse.

RT will not make the biggest impact. Not even Manning or Brady have 2 1st round picks at OT. And they are worth that investment. First things first. Get a QB worth protecting.
This is the problem for me as I don't want any of these QBs at 1-1 & if no other way would prob go Manziel. Look guys, Moses in 2nd or Jawuan James 3-1 resolves RT. So...1-1 ? 2-1 Garoppolo Qb 3-1 James
Old 04-06-2014   #57
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If there's no franchise QB in the draft, why NOT create the strongest line possible? That way, our less-than-stellar QBs can do better work. AND when we do get our Franchise guy (assuming that we will), he won't get killed because of a porous line.

Manning and Brady don't NEED 2 1st round picks at OT. We don't have Manning or Brady and we're not going to get either of them in this draft. Ryan Fitzpatrick, otoh, could really use 2 1st round picks at OT.

I don't see a QB in this draft that's worth protecting. At least, not without a whole lot of development.
Old 04-06-2014   #58
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
This is the problem for me as I don't want any of these QBs at 1-1 & if no other way would prob go Manziel. Look guys, Moses in 2nd or Jawuan James 3-1 resolves RT. So...1-1 ? 2-1 Garoppolo Qb 3-1 James
If you go Robinson at 1-1 and Garoppolo at 2-1, then Garoppolo will be able to be developed without him worrying about someone getting a free-runner at him on every pass play. That way he won't get shell-shocked and turn into Blaine Gabbert or David Carr.

Although, frankly, I don't expect us to go Robinson 1-1 because I think OB likes Quess at RT.

But I don't think taking Robinson should be dismissed out of hand. It's a legitimate possibility.
Old 04-06-2014   #59
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 175365 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If you go Robinson at 1-1 and Garoppolo at 2-1, then Garoppolo will be able to be developed without him worrying about someone getting a free-runner at him on every pass play. That way he won't get shell-shocked and turn into Blaine Gabbert or David Carr.

Although, frankly, I don't expect us to go Robinson 1-1 because I think OB likes Quess at RT.

But I don't think taking Robinson should be dismissed out of hand. It's a legitimate possibility.
anything solid to Q moving to RT? Still seems like LG but I have nothing from new staff to support. Also, if Q is RT who plays LG? Brandon Thomas at 4-1 would be perfect and he can play OT also.
Old 04-06-2014   #60
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have no problems with

1. Clowney
2.Moses
3.Savage

Although I really like Garappollo a lot.

Or

1.Clowney
2. Garappolo
3. Brandon Thomas

They may have to trade up a bit to get Thomas. I've got him in the 45-55 range. What would be the cost of moving up 10-12 spots into the 2nd rd?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read