Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-02-2014   #61
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub named starter in Oakland

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
TP has flashed more potential than MS has last year.. someone will give him a chance..
Pryor was worse than Schaub last year and hasn't shown anything to make folks believe he will ever be pre-injury Schaub.
Old 04-02-2014   #62
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69762 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Maurice Jones-Drew thinks Matt Schaub can lead Raiders to Super Bowl

Quote:
“You can definitely [make the Super Bowl with Matt Schaub at quarterback],” Jones-Drew said during an interview on Sirius’ Mad Dog Sports Radio. “[Schaub] has something to prove this year. I know Matt Schaub is a guy who can lead us.”
http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/02/maurice...owl/?eref=sihp
Old 04-05-2014   #63
Nitrofish
FSM Rules!

Rep Power: 57899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Pryor was worse than Schaub last year and hasn't shown anything to make folks believe he will ever be pre-injury Schaub.
msr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Maurice Jones-Drew thinks Matt Schaub can lead Raiders to Super Bowl

http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/02/maurice...owl/?eref=sihp
I don't know what anyone expects MJD to say. "No way, he sucks, I only came here for the cash" I mean it seemed to me like MJD tried to get off the topic pretty quick, and his answer was weird anyway. Schaub has never been under Super Bowl type pressure as he suggested. He has faced the pressure of a Super Bowl or Bust season, but even though he did not have much help from the rest of the team, he did not perform well under that kind of pressure.

The Raiders fans see Schaub as an upgrade over what they have had since Rich Gannon, so I am not sure there is as much pressure to win as there was in Houston last season. If the Raiders snag Evans in the draft, I could see Schaub doing very well in Oakland.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 213686 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Schaub has never been under Super Bowl type pressure as he suggested. He has faced the pressure of a Super Bowl or Bust season, but even though he did not have much help from the rest of the team, he did not perform well under that kind of pressure.
This team looked great with Schaub under center in 2011. We looked like a team that could win the Super Bowl. 2012, they did a good job of saying it was about the team, but everyone "knew" we didn't win it in 2011 because Schaub missed the end of the season. We were among the favorites to get to the Super Bowl in 2012, you're right, even though the whole team fell apart, the onus was placed squarely on Schaub.

2013 the pressure to win a Super Bowl was there & when he started the season throwing TDs to the other team, it was difficult not to put the blame on Schaub, even though he sat on the bench from week 7 on. I say difficult, because even though we won those first two games, the pick 6s kept coming, but the wins did not.
Old 04-06-2014   #65
Nitrofish
FSM Rules!

Rep Power: 57899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This team looked great with Schaub under center in 2011. We looked like a team that could win the Super Bowl. 2012, they did a good job of saying it was about the team, but everyone "knew" we didn't win it in 2011 because Schaub missed the end of the season. We were among the favorites to get to the Super Bowl in 2012, you're right, even though the whole team fell apart, the onus was placed squarely on Schaub.

2013 the pressure to win a Super Bowl was there & when he started the season throwing TDs to the other team, it was difficult not to put the blame on Schaub, even though he sat on the bench from week 7 on. I say difficult, because even though we won those first two games, the pick 6s kept coming, but the wins did not.
Remember now that Rivers also started out his season throwing a TD to the other team, yet he still had a pretty good season. The pick 6's are way overblown, and those who believe they would have just kept coming are kidding themselves. I can only think of 1 that actually cost the Texans the game. The rest of the losses were team losses, not all on Schaub.

Peyton Manning and John Elway held the previous record for consecutive pick 6's, and they were allowed to play through it and not pulled for a 1st year UDFA because fans and the owner had a boner (nice rhyme) for a former U of H QB, who clearly was not ready when his number was called.

I'm am not going to go into again, but everyone gave up on the season way too soon in my eyes, and I believe the Texans would have won more than 2 games had Schaub been allowed to play through the slump IMHO. How many more? Who knows, but giving up on the season, and throwing Keenum to the wolves was a bad idea.

Old 04-06-2014   #66
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 213686 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm am not going to go into again, but everyone gave up on the season way too soon in my eyes, and I believe the Texans would have won more than 2 games had Schaub been allowed to play through the slump IMHO. How many more? Who knows, but giving up on the season, and throwing Keenum to the wolves was a bad idea.
I'm with you. & when I saw the Steelers wishing & praying the Chargers would lose so they could get in at 8-8... smdh, all I could do. At 9-7 we would've been in since we beat San Diego week 1.

I had thought we learned that what you do in September don't mean crap, it's how you finish in December. I know things didn't look good for us December 2013, but they had already given up by then.

But the coaches are gone & ultimately they're the ones most responsible. Even if the owner is screaming from on high, start Case, start Case, as a coach you can keep doing what you know gives us the best chance to win (start Schaub) or find a way to make Case win. Our coaches couldn't do either....

So I'm done with that, ready to move on.
Old 04-08-2014   #67
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 56411 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Matty Pick 6 maybe the starter in Oakland, but the Texans starter is magic....

FitzMagic!

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Pickspatrick!....

Last edited by BullNation4Life; 04-08-2014 at 09:21 AM.
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #68
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 19458 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Remember now that Rivers also started out his season throwing a TD to the other team, yet he still had a pretty good season. The pick 6's are way overblown, and those who believe they would have just kept coming are kidding themselves. I can only think of 1 that actually cost the Texans the game. The rest of the losses were team losses, not all on Schaub.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #69
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Just came across an interesting number on Schaub.........In his three seasons in Atlanta, Schaub passed for 1.033 yards and six touchdowns and six interceptions as he served as Michael Vick's backup.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #70
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Peyton Manning and John Elway held the previous record for consecutive pick 6's, and they were allowed to play through it and not pulled for a 1st year UDFA because fans and the owner had a boner (nice rhyme) for a former U of H QB, who clearly was not ready when his number was called.

Are you forgetting that Schaub started a few games after he proved he was terrible and he performed, predictably, terribly? Have you seen his stats the games that he started at the end of the year? You forget about all those picks he threw then, too?
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #71
Nitrofish
FSM Rules!

I have not forgotten anything. I'm just a big picture guy. I don't base my opinions off of single games, or single seasons. No question Schaub was horrible last season, but no matter how hard you try to say it does, it does not make his career horrible.

It's funny to me how you guys cherry pick to make your points. Last season was last season, and it has not defined Schaub's career, at least not yet. If he plays in Oakland as he did last season for the Texans, it surely will, but give it a rest. Schaub's gone, and now we have Fitzmagic, and I for one can't wait to see that party train.

Old 04-09-2014   #72
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think anyone has said he's had a horrible career and I certainly haven't. Schaub had displayed about 1.5 seasons of inept and turnover-prone QB play. That was enough for me to see that he doesn't have it anymore. I don't think Fitzpatrick is better but I think he's pretty much the same and makes a hell of a lot less to play.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #73
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I don't think anyone has said he's had a horrible career and I certainly haven't. Schaub had displayed about 1.5 seasons of inept and turnover-prone QB play. That was enough for me to see that he doesn't have it anymore.
I don't know if he's got it anymore or not, but I'm ready to move on. Texans have been moving in the right direction since Kubiak got here, Schaub was a big part of that. But it's time to move on.

Hopefully we continue in the right direction.
Old 04-11-2014   #74
Nitrofish
FSM Rules!

Default Matt Schaub broken beyond repair?

NFL.com's Around the League Writer Chris Wesseling asks "Oakland Raiders' Matt Schaub broken beyond repair?"

Never cared much for this guys articles no matter who they are on, but I did find one tidbit interesting regarding the belief around here that the Lisfranc injury was the cause of Schaub's demise.

Quote:
Although there were late 2012 whispers that a hidden injury might be the root cause of Schaub's precipitous decline, the game film reveals no smoking gun. -Chris Wesseling
Not that his opinion proves or disproves these claims, but after studying film I came to the same conclusion.

But looking at this list of injuries it's makes an impact on how battered the guy was. Except for the bolded which I had to laugh at. When did an X-Ray or MRI become and injury? And what exactly is a lingering throwing shoulder injury that isn't listed prior to the lingering comment? Is an MRI on your hip considered an injury now? Don't they perform these things as a precaution? Anyone aware of this hip injury?

Matt Schaub's injury history
Torn ligaments in ankle - 2013
X-rays on left shoulder; ear injury - 2012
Lisfranc surgery; lingering throwing shoulder injury; MRI on hip - 2011
Inflamed bursa sac in knee; rib injury - 2010
Dislocated left shoulder; ankle injury - 2009
Torn MCL - 2008
Dislocated left shoulder; concussion; ankle; hip and lower back injuries - 2007

Wesseling goes on to say:
Quote:
Successful pro quarterbacks don't turn stale over time. The fall is sudden and steep. -Chris Wesseling
Sure hope Schaub can prove him wrong, and I can't help but feel like this article is more of a dig at the Raiders than it is at Schaub.

What do you think?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-beyond-repair

Old 04-11-2014   #75
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 218645 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub broken beyond repair?

Quote:
NFL.com's Around the League Writer Chris Wesseling asks "Oakland Raiders' Matt Schaub broken beyond repair?"

Never cared much for this guys articles no matter who they are on, but I did find one tidbit interesting regarding the belief around here that the Lisfranc injury was the cause of Schaub's demise.

Not that his opinion proves or disproves these claims, but after studying film I came to the same conclusion.

But looking at this list of injuries it's makes an impact on how battered the guy was. Except for the bolded which I had to laugh at. When did an X-Ray or MRI become and injury? And what exactly is a lingering throwing shoulder injury that isn't listed prior to the lingering comment? Is an MRI on your hip considered an injury now? Don't they perform these things as a precaution? Anyone aware of this hip injury?

Torn ligaments in ankle - 2013
X-rays on left shoulder; ear injury - 2012
Lisfranc surgery; lingering throwing shoulder injury; MRI on hip - 2011
Inflamed bursa sac in knee; rib injury - 2010
Dislocated left shoulder; ankle injury - 2009
Torn MCL - 2008
Dislocated left shoulder; concussion; ankle; hip and lower back injuries - 2007
An MRI or an x-ray isn't an injury but it's and indication that you're hurt in that area. You don't get an x-ray of your shoulder because it feels good.

And the thing about injuries is that they can get into your head and change the way you do things or think about things. I think that's what happened to Schaub after the lisfranc injury. I'm not saying he also wasn't experience residual physical effects but I think the mental aspects were what fell apart. His decision making suffered.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #76
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Quote:
Although there were late 2012 whispers that a hidden injury might be the root cause of Schaub's precipitous decline, the game film reveals no smoking gun. -Chris Wesseling

I didn't read the article, but I didn't see anything to lead me to believe the foot was an issue at anytime in the last two years. Last year, he actually looked healthier than I had seen him in a long time & was really looking forward to an exciting year.

But alas... the record he broke was nowhere near my radar.
Old 04-11-2014   #77
Nitrofish
FSM Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
An MRI or an x-ray isn't an injury but it's and indication that you're hurt in that area. You don't get an x-ray of your shoulder because it feels good.

And the thing about injuries is that they can get into your head and change the way you do things or think about things. I think that's what happened to Schaub after the lisfranc injury. I'm not saying he also wasn't experience residual physical effects but I think the mental aspects were what fell apart. His decision making suffered.
Duh... but it is not an injury just because and X Ray or MRI is ordered. It hurts, but I had lots of parts that hurt after every game I ever played in, and to list it as on that injury list is fabrication to make his point.

Old 04-11-2014   #78
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 218645 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Duh... but it is not an injury just because and X Ray or MRI is ordered. It hurts, but I had lots of parts that hurt after every game I ever played in, and to list it as on that injury list is fabrication to make his point.
Do you realize how long Tom Brady has been on the injury report of the New England Patriots with a Shoulder Injury?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #79
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyone aware of this hip injury?

I am only responding to this question and his "throwing" shoulder injury. Yes, I was well aware of the history of his hip "injury." It was compliments of none other than Fat Albert, who managed to accurately direct his helmet into Schaub's hip. It was simply a muscle contusion injury, with no structural damage ever found from then to the present.

As far as the "throwing" shoulder injury. He first sustained a soft tissue bruise injury to his throwing shoulder in 2003 while at Virginia. Although it was reported initially as a "shoulder separation," no structural damage was ever detected with any imaging. He was held out two games without any firther problems the remainder of the season (in fact, he went on to score a 141 QB rating for that year). His 2011 listing (immediately prior to his Lisfranc) as a "lingering" throwing shoulder injury, was anything but lingering. It was a result of a significant right chest (pectoralis major muscle) contusion (bruise). Again, no structural damage was revealed on imaging the shoulder. Anyone whose ever had a significant muscular chest bruise, knows that any movement of the shoulder on the affected side can be extremely painful and limiting of its range of motion.

Wesseling would probably do better leaving injury reporting and interpretation to someone else.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #80
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I am only responding to this question and his "throwing" shoulder injury. Yes, I was well aware of the history of his hip "injury." It was compliments of none other than Fat Albert, who managed to accurately direct his helmet into Schaub's hip. It was simply a muscle contusion injury, with no structural damage ever found from then to the present.

As far as the "throwing" shoulder injury. He first sustained a soft tissue bruise injury to his throwing shoulder in 2003 while at Virginia. Although it was reported initially as a "shoulder separation," no structural damage was ever detected with any imaging. He was held out two games without any firther problems the remainder of the season (in fact, he went on to score a 141 QB rating for that year). His 2011 listing (immediately prior to his Lisfranc) as a "lingering" throwing shoulder injury, was anything but lingering. It was a result of a significant right chest (pectoralis major muscle) contusion (bruise). Again, no structural damage was revealed on imaging the shoulder. Anyone whose ever had a significant muscular chest bruise, knows that any movement of the shoulder on the affected side can be extremely painful and limiting of its range of motion.

Wesseling would probably do better leaving injury reporting and interpretation to someone else.
You are the Joel Buchsbaum of NFL injuries!!!

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read