Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-04-2014   #981
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You are confusing rumor mongering and analysis. Mayock and Jaws are respected analysts. It's hard to even type that Kiper and McShay are respected for anything much less analysis.
You certainly beat me to that. Kinda made me gag, and not just a little. Personally can't stand either of those pukes. I've wondered for years how they hold their jobs.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #982
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17471 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Tom Savage to be under center after the bye week in 2014 (assuming the Bye is Week 8 or later).
Troy Chapman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #983
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
Tom Savage to be under center after the bye week in 2014 (assuming the Bye is Week 8 or later).
I am kinda with you on this...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #984
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 80305 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
We're already used to it. An NFL record of consecutive pick 6's will do that to ya.

Jaworski's been wrong before. He missed on Russell Wilson. I think he has a problem with short QBs. I have a problem with QBs who throw games away.
Yeah, I said anyone can be wrong, but I would say he has not missed on Wilson. What has Wilson done that is so spectacular? His success is more related to the running game and elite defense that Seattle has, not that he is a spectacular pocket passer. Look at what Houston was doing to him in the first half of that game. Only when they stopped the tactics that worked in the first half did his legs become a factor. Wilson is a bad example.

You can't honestly be saying you are comparing Ryan Fitzpatrick to Matt Schaub right? I understand you hate the guy, but lets be serious here. Fitzpatrick could not hold Schaub's jock. You want to talk "Factory of Sadness" just wait until Fitz is starting for the Texans.

I'd rather see Keenum or Yates start over Fitz, and that is saying something.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #985
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Yeah, I said anyone can be wrong, but I would say he has not missed on Wilson. What has Wilson done that is so spectacular? His success is more related to the running game and elite defense that Seattle has, not that he is a spectacular pocket passer. Look at what Houston was doing to him in the first half of that game. Only when they stopped the tactics that worked in the first half did his legs become a factor. Wilson is a bad example.
I thought it was the other way around. That when Wilson started using his legs, the Texans' tactics stopped working.

Either way, the thing Wilson has done to make him so "spectacular" is that he's incredibly efficient & protects the football. He's averaged 100 passer rating two years in a row. That's amazing.

Even when Matt Schaub had an elite defense & an elite running game, he didn't average 100 passer rating. In 2011, when we should have won the Super Bowl, he averaged 96.8 playing in only 10 games.

For whatever reason, Wilson is very underrated right now. Maybe because he plays on such a good team, I don't know.
Old 04-05-2014   #986
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2014 QB competition

As of right now, we've got Fitzpatrick, Keenum, & Yates. Hopefully we'll be adding a younger studd to the mix as well, but for now.... who do you think has the inside edge? Who do you think is the strongest candidate? Of the three, who do you think will most likely win the starting job?

For the guy who is #2 on your list, at this time, what do you think he needs to do to move into #1?
Old 04-05-2014   #987
Victor B
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Victor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 QB competition

Considering the fact that it's a new system and staff, I'd say it's about even for Keenum and Fitz. I'd give the edge to Keenum just a tad because of his youth and his athleticism. I think Keenum made a big jump from year 1 to year 2 and was put into a tough situation development-wise being thrown in the mix so early and with a dying team/staff. I think we'll see another big improvement from him this year. Will it be enough to win the spot? We'll have to wait and see.

Fitz can win it if Keenum struggles. I think he was primarily brought in as a tutor/emergency QB for Keenum and the rookie QB. Schaub would have fit that role but we all know that wouldn't have worked out here.

I think Yates would have been traded by now if he had any trade value. OB wants as many picks as he can get, and if that means picking up a QB 2-1 or 3-1 and another in the 6th or 7th he'd do so.

Honestly I think OB drafts a QB 2-1 or 3-1 and let's the guy sit a year. He'll watch the progress of Keenum and Fitz and if he can win with those guys then they will continue to play. If he can't then his rookie QB should be groomed for year 2.

The last thing you want to do is play a young QB when they are not ready. We've seen enough of that in this town with Carr and Keenum. I doubt OB will pick a rookie QB and start him just for the sake of it. He will bring him along and play him when he's ready.

Of course this is all IMHO.
Victor B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #988
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point, I don't believe the coaches have a clue. Everybody knows Fitz is not the answer ... short or long term.

Unless they fix the oline and running game (we need at least 2, if not 3 starters on the oline and who knows if Foster has his mind in the game or not) it won't much matter who we have at QB. Last year, if we had Montana or Staubach or Peyton or Brady at QB we MIGHT have gone 4-12 or 5-11 .... well whoop-ti-dooo ..... and they probably would have gotten hurt anyway.

Fitz is not the answer.

I really expected Yates to step it up last year, but he disappointed.

I don't see any QB in the draft who will be an impact player in the next 3 years.

I think Keenum will come back greatly improved and will probably win the job. IF the team puts a competent oline and running game together they can go 8-8. Even if they can fix the oline and running game the defense has way too many holes for this team to be a contender this year regardless of who the QB is.

Oh ... I forgot to mention the incompetent coaching we had last year .... so going 8-8 is also dependent on having good coaching.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #989
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to give Kubiak the benefit of the doubt, which is to say he was correct when he concluded that Keenum was showing more progress and potential than Yates, and say Keenum is going to be one of the 3 QBs that will be here this Fall along with Fitz and the QB that OB drafts which will leave Yates someplace else not named Houston. As to who is 1, 2, & 3 in September going into the season opener, your guess is as good as mine ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #990
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

I've been watching Fitzpatrick highlights all morning, which is why I asked the question, & I've got to say I was shocked by how many times he actually tucked the ball & ran. He's not a bad athlete.

He's not a good QB either. I think his arm is similar to the QBs we see in this draft. Aiight, but nothing special. He can throw bullets to the middle of the field, but tends to float them outside the hashes. His ball placement is spotty & will occasionally throw behind his receivers. He can get the ball down field, & has pretty good anticipation. He's fairly accurate on the move.

I don't think he's scared, but he peeks at the pass rush more than he should. He moves well in short space, I don't think he's a rhythm passer by any means.

Like all QBs, he's got his plusses & minuses. Of course, more minuses than plusses. I think his biggest advantage is his experience, most notably his experience with many different systems. He's not so good that a rookie, or our present vets don't have a shot at beating him, he's very beatable in a true competition. But the bar is set high enough that whoever beats him will give us a decent shot at winning football games.

That's really all I wanted from a veteran, someone who's played a lot more games than Tj & Case, winning more than a few of them.
Old 04-05-2014   #991
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 22796 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Is it time to remove the '[edit] Mallet?' from this thread yet? Still don't know why it was added to begin with.
Old 04-05-2014   #992
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Is it time to remove the '[edit] Mallet?' from this thread yet? Still don't know why it was added to begin with.
That was my fault... over-reacted a bit when the rumor popped: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...47#post2309347

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #993
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'm not sure why people care. It was rumored the Texans were/are interested and were actively negotiating with the Pats. He is still one of the possibilities until the draft passes.
Old 04-05-2014   #994
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I'm not sure why people care. It was rumored the Texans were/are interested and were actively negotiating with the Pats. He is still one of the possibilities until the draft passes.
Yep

That horse isn't dead yet.

Mallett will be a Texan for the price of 3-1 if the Pats/BB blink.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #995
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40976 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO most likely the starting QB in 2014 is Fitz. We take Clowney or whoever we feel is BPA, then we take BPA at 2.1 (which means unless Carr is there we don't take a QB), then we take a QB or BPA in the 3rd or 4th depending on who they target. Whoever we take will probably sit behind Fitz to at least start the season.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #996
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
IMO most likely the starting QB in 2014 is Fitz. We take Clowney or whoever we feel is BPA, then we take BPA at 2.1 (which means unless Carr is there we don't take a QB), then we take a QB or BPA in the 3rd or 4th depending on who they target. Whoever we take will probably sit behind Fitz to at least start the season.
Are you saying that Carr is the best possible QB that could be available at 2.1 and that if he is there we will take him?
Old 04-05-2014   #997
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40976 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Are you saying that Carr is the best possible QB that could be available at 2.1 and that if he is there we will take him?
Based on the projection that JFF, Bortles and Bridgewater will be gone, yes.

But you just limit it to QB. If Carr is there he is the best "player" on the board.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #998
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Based on the projection that JFF, Bortles and Bridgewater will be gone, yes.

But you just limit it to QB. If Carr is there he is the best "player" on the board.

Alright, just wanted clarification. Tho I'm not 100% sure that one of the other 3 won't be available or that Carr would be best player available.
Old 04-05-2014   #999
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

If we are going to explore Carr more, there is a whole thread dedicated to him in the draft forum.
Old 04-05-2014   #1000
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
As of right now, we've got Fitzpatrick, Keenum, & Yates. Hopefully we'll be adding a younger studd to the mix as well, but for now.... who do you think has the inside edge? Who do you think is the strongest candidate? Of the three, who do you think will most likely win the starting job?

For the guy who is #2 on your list, at this time, what do you think he needs to do to move into #1?
Hard to say at this point.
You would think that Keenum might have an edge having played in a spread offense in college and that, from early indications, the spread might be what O'Brien's offense will employ the most.

But Keenum's ability to recognize what the defense is up to is suspect.

And that's where Fitzpatrick's experience may give him an edge. One would think that there shouldn't be many defensive sets a nine-year vet hasn't seen.

And I don't know what to think about Yates at this point. Is he a dark horse or just a camp arm?

My ranking is Fitz, Keenum, Yates.
Gonna be fun to watch.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read