Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-04-2014   #21
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99016 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why is Derek Newton Still a Texan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
It makes plenty of sense, if you're penny pinching instead of trying to put the best product on the field as possible. How long did it take for the Bengals to sing Manning?
I wouldn't look to the Bengals as an example of a team that isn't penny pinching just because they signed Manning. They're $27 million under the cap (http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/10...014-salary-cap) and have always been known as one of the most penny-pinching franchises in the league. When Joseph signed here he even said they have vending machines in the locker room instead of providing free Gatorade to the players.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #22
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I know OD failed his physical, but he is healthy enough now, less than a month later, to be signed by Baltimore.
He did indeed and was released. His signing with Baltimore is also dependent on his passing their physical as well. It's not a DONE DEAL yet.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #23
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

cus hes young and cheap

we can cut him after the draft or before the 53 man roster cut does not matter
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Where is this number coming from? Newton signed a 4 year, $2.1 million deal as a rookie in 2011. This is the last year of his contract at $645,000. Newton made an additional $175k in "performance pay" last year. No, I'm not joking.

The Texans would take a dead money cap hit of about $15k ($60k/4) with a net savings of about 630k if Newton is released. Not much there. The Texans haven't signed any OTs, and the draft is still a month away. No need to make that move now. And as BigBull suggests, the Texans may want to look at Newton at guard.
I got that number from OverTheCap.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #25
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

still wondering the same thing...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Maybe O'Brien realizes that Newton played all of last season injured and wants to see what Newton can do coming into training camp fully healthy. I'm sure there will be competition at RT and that it won't just be given to Newton, he'll have to earn it if he plays the position. Newton is also young, cheap, has 2 yrs. of experience at the RT position and we have to have 90 players on the roster for training camp anyway.
Like most around here, I wasn't impressed with his play last year......in fact, I thought it was horrible. But at the same time if you remember, I kept on pointing out that he was never given a reasonable time to rehab after his patellar tendon surgery before forcing into play. This type of surgery is bad enough for a small player, but it is especially onerous for a big tackle who is expected to have good mobility. He will have had his deserved rehab time over the offseason to prove after the Draft that his injury was the main factor in his poor play......or only part of the problem, to which he may be more seriously considered at guard.......or that it was none of the problem to which he is just down right horrible. As the money involved is not the driving force, we and OB will find out certainly by the last cut.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #27
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

The reasoning is simple, Gary hasn't called yet.
PHILLYTEXANFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Why is Derek Newton Still a Texan?
Because Newt's can come in handy sometimes.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #29
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yea the recent signing of players like Ryan Fitzpatrick, I find myself confused regarding what O'Brien is up to, but nothing even comes close to wondering why Derek Newton is still a Texan. I can find no justification for keeping that guy around.

I have read posts calling for blood after last seasons disaster. Yet I hear no one calling for this guys head. Why not? Someone please explain this to me.

Why?
dumbness.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #30
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 104354 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Where is this number coming from? Newton signed a 4 year, $2.1 million deal as a rookie in 2011. This is the last year of his contract at $645,000. Newton made an additional $175k in "performance pay" last year. No, I'm not joking.

The Texans would take a dead money cap hit of about $15k ($60k/4) with a net savings of about 630k if Newton is released. Not much there. The Texans haven't signed any OTs, and the draft is still a month away. No need to make that move now. And as BigBull suggests, the Texans may want to look at Newton at guard.
Seems hard to believe he would have made any performance incentives. I understand the money aspect of it, but you get what you pay for so why would you keep a guy just because he is cheap? If he can't play, then who cares if he is cheap? Lot's of other terrible, cheap players available. A bird in the hand?

Now using him at guard makes more sense although, guard play was not as much of a problem as the RT play. Having Newton as depth at right guard might be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Basically, it is cheap to keep him, nothing more, nothing less.
Yes I get it, but as I said above, why keep a player who cannot play just because he is cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I don't know what to think of newton. I saw some things technique wise that made me question John Benton as a line coach. Guys making the same mistakes over and over. Seems like the line got progressively worse under him.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Two things:

1. We are probably drafting a RT and therefor Newton will be only depth

And

2. Maybe he was never suited for the ZBS and that was why he failed miserably?
Ok, but ZBS has nothing to do with pass protection right? I was not complaining about his ability to run block even though he was terrible at that also, I was specifically talking about pass protection. If Newton is playing for the Texans in 2014, I don't care who is back there. They are going to face constant pressure on the right side. Hopefully O'Brien is better at giving help to someone who is getting burned over and over if Newton remains a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
dumbness.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Now using him at guard makes more sense although, guard play was not as much of a problem as the RT play. Having Newton as depth at right guard might be ok.
I disagree that guard play was not the issue. The poor play at LG was probably more of the reason for DBrown's season than his toe (or whatever injury he was dealing with).
Old 04-05-2014   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I don't know what to think of newton. I saw some things technique wise that made me question John Benton as a line coach. Guys making the same mistakes over and over. Seems like the line got progressively worse under him.
Benton is certainly no Alex Gibbs.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #33
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Because believe it or not, we drop Newton, and we're even worse at RT. We'd be left with Quess and Williams, two guys that have never played a snap of a regular season game (not even going to mention the question marks with Williams).

A better question would be why haven't we signed a veteran tackle as insurance yet?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #34
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seems hard to believe he would have made any performance incentives.
Most likely, those incentives were simply tied to games played specifically at RT. With his short arms, at the Draft for that reason Newton was deemed by many to project better at guard. Of course, the Texans have shown that they are willing to try short-armers at RT (Winston).
Old 04-05-2014   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I disagree that guard play was not the issue. The poor play at LG was probably more of the reason for DBrown's season than his toe (or whatever injury he was dealing with).
Yep, BOTH were definitely a problem. And his unrested turf toe was definitely a significant factor in Brown's down year. But Brown was forever looking to his right while cheating to the right to compensate Smith's poor play. That contributed to a decent share of the D managing to get outside and around Brown too often.
Old 04-05-2014   #36
Lucky

Rep Power: 208260 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

It's still the offseason, with the draft and June 1st cuts to go. Let's wait before we panic about the RT position. I'm sure O' Brien has something in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2014   #37
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Though certainly his play has been very inconsistant (and that's putting it mildly/politely), Newt is cheap and we are still very thin at OT. And BTW, it's not like the previous regime didn't try to shore up things at RT. They did draft Williams last year in the third round expecting him to be the next RT and another potential fix at RT in Quess and yet had the great misfortune of losing both for the season to injuries. We've got a long ways to go until September, we might end up with more possible candidates to play RT than we know what to do with.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #38
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Yep, BOTH were definitely a problem. And his unrested turf toe was definitely a significant factor in Brown's down year. But Brown was forever looking to his right while cheating to the right to compensate Smith's poor play. That contributed to a decent share of the D managing to get outside and around Brown too often.
Quote:
It's still the offseason, with the draft and June 1st cuts to go. Let's wait before we panic about the RT position. I'm sure O' Brien has something in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with both!!
Old 04-05-2014   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If Newton wasn't here, everyone would know we were targeting Greg Robinson. That's the only thing that makes sense.
Old 04-05-2014   #40
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Newton wasn't here, everyone would know we were targeting Greg Robinson. That's the only thing that makes sense.

You have a sense all your own...
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read