Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-04-2014   #1
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 102617 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish
Default Why is Derek Newton Still a Texan?

Yea the recent signing of players like Ryan Fitzpatrick, I find myself confused regarding what O'Brien is up to, but nothing even comes close to wondering why Derek Newton is still a Texan. I can find no justification for keeping that guy around.

I have read posts calling for blood after last seasons disaster. Yet I hear no one calling for this guys head. Why not? Someone please explain this to me.

Why?

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why is Derek Newton Still a Texan?

Maybe OB wants to see what he can do with him. Maybe OB doesn't think he's as bad as we do. Maybe they're not worried about cutting him because they're not planning on needing an extra $1.4 million right now and think they can wait until after the draft and after training camp.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #3
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8553 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe OB thinks he can play guard.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #4
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

he's the third musketeer....with ricky and cal.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe O'Brien realizes that Newton played all of last season injured and wants to see what Newton can do coming into training camp fully healthy. I'm sure there will be competition at RT and that it won't just be given to Newton, he'll have to earn it if he plays the position. Newton is also young, cheap, has 2 yrs. of experience at the RT position and we have to have 90 players on the roster for training camp anyway.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Maybe OB wants to see what he can do with him. Maybe OB doesn't think he's as bad as we do. Maybe they're not worried about cutting him because they're not planning on needing an extra $1.4 million right now and think they can wait until after the draft and after training camp.
Where is this number coming from? Newton signed a 4 year, $2.1 million deal as a rookie in 2011. This is the last year of his contract at $645,000. Newton made an additional $175k in "performance pay" last year. No, I'm not joking.

The Texans would take a dead money cap hit of about $15k ($60k/4) with a net savings of about 630k if Newton is released. Not much there. The Texans haven't signed any OTs, and the draft is still a month away. No need to make that move now. And as BigBull suggests, the Texans may want to look at Newton at guard.
Old 04-04-2014   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Where is this number coming from? Newton signed a 4 year, $2.1 million deal as a rookie in 2011. This is the last year of his contract at $645,000. Newton made an additional $175k in "performance pay" last year. No, I'm not joking.

The Texans would take a dead money cap hit of about $15k ($60k/4) with a net savings of about 630k if Newton is released. Not much there. The Texans haven't signed any OTs, and the draft is still a month away. No need to make that move now. And as BigBull suggests, the Texans may want to look at Newton at guard.
Basically, it is cheap to keep him, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 04-04-2014   #8
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what to think of newton. I saw some things technique wise that made me question John Benton as a line coach. Guys making the same mistakes over and over. Seems like the line got progressively worse under him.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216794 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is he still a Texan ?? His contract is relatively small for the position with little guaranteed. May as well bring him to camp and let him compete , if he doesn't win a spot on the roster then cut him and the cap hit still next to nothing ($15k).

As bad as he is and as much as we all think he needs to get gone , it just doesn't make much sense to cut him prior to camp.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92649 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Because he might not be as bad as "we" think he is?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #11
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 15444 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Two things:

1. We are probably drafting a RT and therefor Newton will be only depth

And

2. Maybe he was never suited for the ZBS and that was why he failed miserably?
Old 04-04-2014   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

OTC says $1,431,000 in salary for the up coming season.

I'm with Nitro on this one, doesn't make sense that he's still here. If we're wanting Danieal Manning to take a pay cut saving something less than $4.5M, then that $1.43M allotted for Derek Newton should be awful attractive. Manning, imo, earned his money when he was healthy, Newton did not. If we're saying let's wait to see if these guys are healthy... well why aren't we waiting to see if producers are healthy? I know OD failed his physical, but he is healthy enough now, less than a month later, to be signed by Baltimore. & it's not like we're signing FAs to $5M against the cap deals... or even $2M against the cap.

Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 04-04-2014   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yes it does, and so does spotrac ... and it makes no sense. As Lucky said they also report the 4 year $2.1 mil deal on which there is only $645k remaining unpaid. Rotoworld has that $645k as his base 2014 salary. That makes sense.

Either way there is no particular benefit to cutting him. He's dirt cheap and the Texans are looking for camp bodies not to trim the roster. There is no reason for guys to go from starter to off the team - there are backup spots and camp bodies needed.

If they get to the point of needing his $630k/$1.416 mil in cap space to sign someone then they sign the new guy and cut Newton 1 second earlier. There's zero benefit to cutting him until you need the space and he may stick as a cheap backup.
Old 04-04-2014   #14
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 29715 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess nobody read OTC's article earlier this year on salary escalators. Derek Newton had $744,000 in salary escalators, which increased his 2014 base salary by that much. That is why his base salary is so high this year.

http://overthecap.com/updated-2014-nfl-salary-increases

The escalator is not guaranteed. Would be a $1.4m in cap savings if released at any point. But he is still relatively inexpensive. Has game time experience. So even if he is not the starter, he is a good back up to have at this point. I am confident Newton will be on the 53 man roster this year.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216794 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
I guess nobody read OTC's article earlier this year on salary escalators. Derek Newton had $744,000 in salary escalators, which increased his 2014 base salary by that much. That is why his base salary is so high this year.

That may be the case , but he's still cheap in terms of the position and that minimum bump in salary is still no reason to cut him prior to camp where you can see if he sticks as a starter or backup.

It costs no more to cut him in July than it does today.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #16
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 29715 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
That may be the case , but he's still cheap in terms of the position and that minimum bump in salary is still no reason to cut him prior to camp where you can see if he sticks as a starter or backup.

Yep agreed. I added to my original post covering the same thought.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
he's the third musketeer....with ricky and cal.
^^^^
This
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I'm with Nitro on this one, doesn't make sense that he's still here. If we're wanting Danieal Manning to take a pay cut saving something less than $4.5M, then that $1.43M allotted for Derek Newton should be awful attractive. Manning, imo, earned his money when he was healthy, Newton did not. If we're saying let's wait to see if these guys are healthy... well why aren't we waiting to see if producers are healthy? I know OD failed his physical, but he is healthy enough now, less than a month later, to be signed by Baltimore. & it's not like we're signing FAs to $5M against the cap deals... or even $2M against the cap.

Doesn't make sense to me.
It makes plenty of sense, if you're penny pinching instead of trying to put the best product on the field as possible. How long did it take for the Bengals to sing Manning?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 147126 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Cheap and like Icak said, we need players. I don't expect him to start for us again, but he's ok for depth.
Old 04-04-2014   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post

The escalator is not guaranteed. Would be a $1.4m in cap savings if released at any point. But he is still relatively inexpensive. Has game time experience. So even if he is not the starter, he is a good back up to have at this point. I am confident Newton will be on the 53 man roster this year.
good stuff... I can buy that, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

I understand where you're coming from, but the tone of the original post was more of a "if he was soooooo bad" kind of thing, generated from all the slack he's been getting here. I don't think he meant, "Obviously he wasn't that bad." kind of thing, but more along the, "we tend to overreact" kind of thing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read