Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-02-2014   #41
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson believes in Devier Posey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Tajh Boyd... who was Sammy and Deandre's QB at Clemson?

At first, Fitzpatrick. Next year, who knows. But that trio could make a decent QB look pretty good.

We can become Clemson SOUTH :P
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #42
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by norg View Post
we can become clemson west :p
fify.
Old 04-02-2014   #43
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 193947 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's what I've been saying. I doubt they'll go in that direction but... man... I think that would be awesome.
yep. you've been waiving the Watkins banner since we started talking draft talk. It wouldn't hurt my heart to snag him either.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #44
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 108854 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's what I've been saying. I doubt they'll go in that direction but... man... I think that would be awesome.
If you saw my "no QB in the first" mock in the mock section (you might have) you'd probably enjoy it. I picked Watkins for the hell of it and to be honest, the idea is rubbing off on me more and more recently.
Old 04-02-2014   #45
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
If you saw my "no QB in the first" mock in the mock section (you might have) you'd probably enjoy it. I picked Watkins for the hell of it and to be honest, the idea is rubbing off on me more and more recently.
When I first suggested Watkins, it was just as a "wouldn't it be crazy" kinda idea. And I even posted it as a Hopkins-Watkins-Boyd reunion.

The more I think about taking Watkins, the more I like it.

I just don't think there's any way they actually do it. It's a move that smacks of the Millen-era Lions.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #46
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just don't think there's any way they actually do it. It's a move that smacks of the Millen-era Lions.
Not to me. They only kept doing it because they kept failing at getting even one credible WR.
Old 04-03-2014   #47
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When I first suggested Watkins, it was just as a "wouldn't it be crazy" kinda idea. And I even posted it as a Hopkins-Watkins-Boyd reunion.

The more I think about taking Watkins, the more I like it.

To me there are only 2 can't miss players at the top of the 1st round, Watkins and Robinson, and while Watkins wouldn't fix any of our big holes he sure would create one of the best WR corp. in the NFL, maybe the best. As long as we could fix the O-line issues, RT and LG, we could have a very potent offense even with Fitzpatrick at QB. He's definitely worth giving heavy consideration at 1.1
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #48
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
To me there are only 2 can't miss players at the top of the 1st round, Watkins and Robinson, and while Watkins wouldn't fix any of our big holes he sure would create one of the best WR corp. in the NFL, maybe the best. As long as we could fix the O-line issues, RT and LG, we could have a very potent offense even with Fitzpatrick at QB. He's definitely worth giving heavy consideration at 1.1
when was the last time a WR was taken first overall??
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #49
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Keyshawn Johnson in 1996.

But, would you rather have:

1999: Tim Couch (1-1) or Torry Holt (1-6)
2003: Carson Palmer (1-1) or Andre Johnson (1-3)
2004: Eli Manning (1-1) or Larry Fitzgerald (1-3)
2007: Jamarcus Russell (1-1) or Calvin Johnson (1-2)

Now, granted, I'm cherry-picking there. QB is almost always the position drafted at 1-1 nowadays. But if the QB isn't that good, then maybe you should be more open to other positions.
Old 04-07-2014   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1996 - Keyshawn Johnson

Mario was the last DE taken. Prior to that were two guys who never made a pro bowl and then back to 1985 for Bruce Smith.
Old 04-07-2014   #51
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Keyshawn Johnson in 1996.

But, would you rather have:

1999: Tim Couch (1-1) or Torry Holt (1-6)
2003: Carson Palmer (1-1) or Andre Johnson (1-3)
2004: Eli Manning (1-1) or Larry Fitzgerald (1-3)
2007: Jamarcus Russell (1-1) or Calvin Johnson (1-2)

Now, granted, I'm cherry-picking there. QB is almost always the position drafted at 1-1 nowadays. But if the QB isn't that good, then maybe you should be more open to other positions.
2 SBs would be nice.

but yeah i know what you mean, BPA is always going to make your team stronger, but it doesnt make the decision any easier to pass up the opportunity of getting a possible franchise QB at first overall.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #52
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
2 SBs would be nice.

but yeah i know what you mean, BPA is always going to make your team stronger, but it doesnt make the decision any easier to pass up the opportunity of getting a possible franchise QB at first overall.
I left the Eli Manning/Larry Fitzgerald duo in there just to show one that would be a difficult decision. 2 SBs are nice but I don't consider Eli Manning an elite QB, just a very, very lucky QB playing on the right teams at the right times.

In most of the other years QB was taken at 1-1, there wasn't a top flight receiver or the QB taken at 1-1 was an obvious and good choice or both. Or both choices were bad.... which has happened.

For example, in 2009, Stafford was taken at 1-1 and the first WR taken was Darius Heyward-Bey at 1-7 and the next one was Michael Crabtree at 1-11. While in 2005, you had a pick of Alex Smith or Braylon Edwards. (Yikes.)

But my main point is that you don't just take a QB because most years have a QB at 1-1. You use that 1-1 pick on a guy you think is going to do the most good for your team. If that's a WR or a RB or a NT, I don't think you should let yourself be bound by history and force the drafting of someone who's going to bust like Jamarcus Russell when you could draft a Calvin Johnson or an Adrian Peterson.
Old 04-07-2014   #53
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 193947 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I left the Eli Manning/Larry Fitzgerald duo in there just to show one that would be a difficult decision. 2 SBs are nice but I don't consider Eli Manning an elite QB, just a very, very lucky QB playing on the right teams at the right times.

In most of the other years QB was taken at 1-1, there wasn't a top flight receiver or the QB taken at 1-1 was an obvious and good choice or both. Or both choices were bad.... which has happened.

For example, in 2009, Stafford was taken at 1-1 and the first WR taken was Darius Heyward-Bey at 1-7 and the next one was Michael Crabtree at 1-11. While in 2005, you had a pick of Alex Smith or Braylon Edwards. (Yikes.)

But my main point is that you don't just take a QB because most years have a QB at 1-1. You use that 1-1 pick on a guy you think is going to do the most good for your team. If that's a WR or a RB or a NT, I don't think you should let yourself be bound by history and force the drafting of someone who's going to bust like Jamarcus Russell when you could draft a Calvin Johnson or an Adrian Peterson.
Well put.
repped.

And "franchise QB" is a function of the skill set a guy has perfectly matching the offensive scheme (and supporting cast) that he was drafted (or traded) into. The more weapons (and protection) a QB has in his offense, the higher the likelihood of him (and with him, the team) being successful.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #54
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I didn't understand last yr why the texans didn't play more big 11 which is posey,hopkins,and andre. The way andre attacks routes insde and make tough catches,it automatically makes defense play nickle. This also opens the run lanes. GB plays 3wr without a wes welker type of inside wr also.
Old 04-08-2014   #55
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
So the team was campaigning for Posey and Kubiak was still limiting Posey? Wow! Says alot.
Are you even a little surprised? Im not at all..
Old 04-08-2014   #56
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously we need a QB to throw the football but is anyone else excited about these Wrs? I know OB is not the patriots and tom brady but they did some work with some nobodies
Old 04-08-2014   #57
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I would hope that AJ believes in Posey.

I would also hope that AJ believes in NUK as well. I would hope that AJ believes in OD, errrrrrrr Garret Graham.

I would hope that the first TEXAN ever entered into the HOF would love all of his teammates, unfortunately including HWSRN, and Matt Schaub... He's that classy of a guy!

Andre is probably still good friends with the likes of Jacoby Jones, LeStar Jean, and many others that escape me right now.

Bottom line! Andre is such a stud and has much trust in teammates that he doesn't give a phuk!!

Second "Bottom Line":
AJ will kick ass for a few more years, no???
Old 04-10-2014   #58
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by acal21 View Post
Are you even a little surprised? Im not at all..
No I'm not. That WOW! was a sarcastic one and just cemented how everyone felt that Kubiak only played his favorites.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #59
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, remember all of the Posey hate when he was drafted?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #60
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 108854 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
Man, remember all of the Posey hate when he was drafted?
I still think Posey is capable of being a good #3 or even a #2 given the opportunity, but man, if we didn't trade down with Tampa Bay we could have had Lavonte David.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read