Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Is it time to part ways with Foster?
Yes 36 30.51%
No 82 69.49%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2014   #41
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should foster be next to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acal21 View Post
I honestly wouldn't want to see him go but I'm sure no one in philly wanted jackson gone

Maybe you let him go if you don't want to have that kind of money invested in the running back position

Kubiak was a players coach.. we will have to wait and see if foster is gonna have the right kind of work ethic for OB
Hmm.....I'm trying to think of the last time a big-name free-agent RB who signed the big-money contract, didn't already have his best years behind him.

It makes more sense to draft 1 or 2 of them on the cheap each year, run them til the wheels fall off in about 2 or 3 years, and then stick another one in there. Like changing tires when the tread is worn. Sounds impersonal, but to me, it's a lot more practical than having a high paid RB, past his prime, sitting hurt on the bench.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #42
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Hmm.....I'm trying to think of the last time a big-name free-agent RB who signed the big-money contract, didn't already have his best years behind him.

It makes more sense to draft 1 or 2 of them on the cheap each year, run them til the wheels fall off in about 2 or 3 years, and then stick another one in there. Like changing tires when the tread is worn. Sounds impersonal, but to me, it's a lot more practical than having a high paid RB, past his prime, sitting hurt on the bench.
Are you essentially saying only play rookie contract RBs?

The answer to your question is not very many because if a RB is productive the team that drafted him signs him to at least one contract after his rookie contract just like the Texans did with Foster. You don't see productive RBs hit free agency after their rookie contract.
Old 04-01-2014   #43
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

The answer to your question is not very many because if a RB is productive the team that drafted him signs him to at least one contract after his rookie contract just like the Texans did with Foster. You don't see productive RBs hit free agency after their rookie contract.
Yep and good teams will cut bait as soon as the RB isn't living up to his new contract.
Old 04-01-2014   #44
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Link

New Texans head coach Bill O'Brien said at the NFL Owners Meeting in Orlando to CBSSports.com that he expects running back Arian Foster to be ready to participate in offseason workouts. Foster effectively missed nine games last season with a back injury.

"He's good. He's going to participate in the spring," O'Brien said. "I've had like three conversations with Arian, good conversations, good guy. I believe he'll be ready to go in the minicamps."

Well doesn't look like it's going to happen. We'll see if he makes it to and through minicamps and spring. My money is on him pulling a hammy and having to sit out most of it.
Old 04-01-2014   #45
texansrule2014
Rookie

yeah! maybe Kub wants his old buddie
texansrule2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #46
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That's exactly what I'm saying. I know it would have been an unpopular move. Yeah, you could cut him the following year, but that signing bonus is guaranteed, and that's a chunk against the cap. This is a position I've always had. And Chris Johnson was proving my point during Foster's contract year.

Now, I don't have stats to back it up, or if they even have a stat on it ... but my contention is, given today's NFL, is that by the time a RB, not just any position, a RB, finishes his rookie contract, he's already past his prime.

He might prove me completely wrong this season, but I'm not expecting it. What I am expecting, is more back issues, more hammy issues, saying all the right things to OB, and dare I say it, dedication issues.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #47
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85909 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nobody is going to trade for Foster and he's the best back here by a long shot so I don't see any point in releasing him.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #48
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm saying. I know it would have been an unpopular move. Yeah, you could cut him the following year, but that signing bonus is guaranteed, and that's a chunk against the cap. This is a position I've always had. And Chris Johnson was proving my point during Foster's contract year.

Now, I don't have stats to back it up, or if they even have a stat on it ... but my contention is, given today's NFL, is that by the time a RB, not just any position, a RB, finishes his rookie contract, he's already past his prime.

He might prove me completely wrong this season, but I'm not expecting it. What I am expecting, is more back issues, more hammy issues, saying all the right things to OB, and dare I say it, dedication issues.
Unless your name is AP, then I think running backs have quickly reached their earning/trade potential in the NFL and their salaries and demand for "top" running backs will just continue to slide as more teams plug and play rookies and journeymen in their systems. I've never seen a position get devalued so quickly and so suddenly. It's going to take top-tier talent like AP to get the big bucks anymore.

I think Foster has one decent year left, and that's if he can stay healthy, which at this point, I highly doubt. His deal wasn't a fantastic idea a the time, even if RBs still yank at the heartstrings of fans who see them as a major cog in a successful offensive machine. Unpopular though it may be, "Random Running Back #12" might be how things shake out for many teams, including ours over the next few years. BOB may have learned that from the Pats and their faceless committee of unspectacular but workable backs over the last 10 years.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well teams disagree with you. You don't see healthy, above average backs hit the market. You don't need any magic stat. Of the top 10 RBs last year all but 1 were on the team that drafted them and only 2 were on rookie contracts. Marshawn Lynch was traded primarily due to off field issues. You'd have a good argument after the 2nd contract but not rookie contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Unless your name is AP, then I think running backs have quickly reached their earning/trade potential in the NFL and their salaries and demand for "top" running backs will just continue to slide as more teams plug and play rookies and journeymen in their systems. I've never seen a position get devalued so quickly and so suddenly. It's going to take top-tier talent like AP to get the big bucks anymore.
Top backs aren't hitting the market place. What you are seeing is that mediocre backs are not getting FA premiums just because they are the best available anymore.
Old 04-01-2014   #50
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster is an asset in the backfield, both in terms of running the ball and picking up the blitz. With a new offense, and perhaps a rookie QB, having a veteran in the backfield protecting him is a positive thing.

Obviously health is an issue, but that's always a concern in football.
Old 04-01-2014   #51
texan_joe
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 texan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep him, at least through this season, give him a chance to prove he can stay healthy and see how he fits in BOB's scheme.
Draft a guy in round 5 or 6 (Isaiah Crowell), and see what happens.
texan_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #52
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_joe View Post
Keep him, at least through this season, give him a chance to prove he can stay healthy and see how he fits in BOB's scheme.
Draft a guy in round 5 or 6 (Isaiah Crowell), and see what happens.
In a little different way of stating the same thing that Lucky present in his post above....................injured players don't tend to fit very well in any coach's schemes.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #53
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Foster is an asset in the backfield, both in terms of running the ball and picking up the blitz. With a new offense, and perhaps a rookie QB, having a veteran in the backfield protecting him is a positive thing.

Yeh he's an asset, when he's healthy. And yes health is always a concern in football but his health is a major concern. He's never been a bust his ass kind of guy. He's coming off of back problems that cost him more than HC the season last year. He's got a ton of mileage and he's been dealing with serious personal issues for the last few months that surely pare going to linger on for some time.

There are at least six backs in this draft I would rather see I'm the backfield this year over Foster.

And to the person who said no one will trade for Foster, someone traded for Matt freaking Schaub. So......
Old 04-01-2014   #54
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

My main concern is that just the change of the offense is going to not agree with Foster. I'm really hoping like he doesn't end up like other RBs that excelled in that Kubiak offense. Guys like Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary etc.... all had awesome careers with Denver and then sucked when moved to a different style offense.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #55
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
And to the person who said no one will trade for Foster, someone traded for Matt freaking Schaub. So......
Is one of Foster's old coaches now a HC for a team sitting on a stack of money so high they are required to spend a bunch of it?

Are there 6 QBs other teams want to start week #1?

Schaub is irrelevant. At best you might get the same kind of token 6th or 7th and there is no point to that.

Not sure why you started the thread even since you clearly have your mind up and are just going to slag anyone who answers no.
Old 04-01-2014   #56
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85909 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And someone else traded for Blaine Gabbert. The difference being they are QB's, not RB's.

You only have to look as far as the Chris Johnson situation to see how much trade value Foster will garner on the market.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #57
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeh he's an asset, when he's healthy. And yes health is always a concern in football but his health is a major concern. He's never been a bust his ass kind of guy. He's coming off of back problems that cost him more than HC the season last year. He's got a ton of mileage and he's been dealing with serious personal issues for the last few months that surely pare going to linger on for some time.

There are at least six backs in this draft I would rather see I'm the backfield this year over Foster.

I'm not sure what makes you say this other than personal speculation. Link? From what I've gathered this dude busts his ass just as much, if not more than other players. Before his Twitter hiatus he'd tweet of his workouts all the time. So, that comment is nothing but hogwash unless you link to otherwise.

The 2nd bolded statement is just crazy talk. Granted, I get you on the health situation, but he's one of the best in the league when on the field. To say you'd rather have a clueless rookie RB instead of a dude that, when healthy, has been top 5 in the league is kind of ridiculous imo

To be honest, this whole thread is kinda ridiculous. You gain nothing by getting rid of him. Yet, gain everything when he's on the field
Old 04-01-2014   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
To be honest, this whole thread is kinda ridiculous. You gain nothing by getting rid of him. Yet, gain everything when he's on the field
Exactly. Whether the money is already spent or not, we're gonna feel it on our cap. Might as well try to get something out of him, on the field.
Old 04-01-2014   #59
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

This is a very good point. Foster gives us a very reliable back who has enough experience to help foster (d'oooooooooh!) a fledgling QB along. We'd need experience back there regardless to pick up the blitz. I wouldn't trust a rookie RB to shoulder that responsibility and protect Bortles...I mean Manziel...I mean Bridgewater...

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #60
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know foster has a lot off supporters here but when you look at his mileage, contract, injury history and current off field issues it should be considered. I believe his value will only decline from this point forward. IMO we should seeing what we can get in return for him in a trade.

There should be some very good backs available late in this draft.
I give him 2 more years max and he will be replaced by a younger RB.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read