Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-01-2014   #81
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manning released

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Jaylen Watkins?
Lamarcus Joyner
Old 04-01-2014   #82
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 9543 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Lamarcus Joyner
Joyner is only 5'8". may be Telvin Smith, he is 6'3" and versatile.
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #83
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
Well we continue to downgrade at all positions..
Depends on how you look at it. So far, it appears that OB doesn't like paying for 30+ year olds with injury issues.
Old 04-01-2014   #84
texansrule2014
Rookie

thats why they kept his def coach,..they want to keep JJ happy
texansrule2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #85
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by honored82 View Post
Joyner is only 5'8". may be Telvin Smith, he is 6'3" and versatile.
And? Tyrann Mathieu is only 5'9. That doesn't stop him from having an impact.

Joyner is going to be a heck of a player as a slot CB and SS.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #86
Lucky

Rep Power: 208260 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Look at all the starters that are gone. It's a rebuilding like it or not.
This was a 2-14 team. It should be rebuilt. Out with the old, overpaid, underachievers. In with the young, hungry, overachievers (hopefully). This is how the NFL works.
Old 04-01-2014   #87
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
How does manning being cut equate to rebuilding?
It does not equate.

But, it is part of the equation.

I guess it depends on how you define "rebuild". A new head coach, whole new staff, completely new schemes on both sides of the ball, new QB, lots of other new starters...I'd say this is pretty obvious of a rebuild. Expecting playoffs in 2014 is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Old 04-01-2014   #88
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It does not equate.

I guess it depends on how you define "rebuild". A new head coach, whole new staff, completely new schemes on both sides of the ball, new QB, lots of other new starters...I'd say this is pretty obvious of a rebuild. Expecting playoffs in 2014 is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Yeah. I expect a Super Bowl and will settle for nothing less.

I believe in BOB
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #89
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

I believe in BOB
Long term, yeah, I can get on board with that.

This season? 'eh, not so much.
Old 04-01-2014   #90
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Danieal Manning, recently cut by #Texans, will visit the #Bengals, source says. That’s the home of former Houston DBs coach Vance Joseph.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/450987678268284930
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #91
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It does not equate.

I don't think the Manning release is a rebuild move. I think this is the type of move we will see in the future. We signed Lewis for depth and Clemons to be a starter. Manning was in the last year of his deal and coming off a pretty significant injury for someone of his age. It looks like a simple replacement to me. In the end, we probably got stronger at safety. We have more depth (Lewis) and we replaced a starter with another player that is younger, cheaper, and similar in skill level.

That's not to say that we aren't rebuilding, I just don't see this move as a rebuilding move.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #92
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I don't think the Manning release is a rebuild move. I think this is the type of move we will see in the future. We signed Lewis for depth and Clemons to be a starter. Manning was in the last year of his deal and coming off a pretty significant injury for someone of his age. It looks like a simple replacement to me. In the end, we probably got stronger at safety. We have more depth (Lewis) and we replaced a starter with another player that is younger, cheaper, and similar in skill level.

That's not to say that we aren't rebuilding, I just don't see this move as a rebuilding move.
It is an understandable perspective.

My take is not specific that cutting Manning reveals a rebuild. But rather he's yet another veteran leader being purged. The purge itself it indicative of a rebuild, not specific players in and of themselves.

Letting Manning go had as much to do with money as anything else according to all news reports.

Think about all the starters that are now gone. This is not a Kansas City Chiefs 2013 situation. O'Brien & Company are clearly looking long term, both regarding cap space and players that fit his schemes on both sides of the ball.

And I'm okay with that, as it is expected when a team gets a new head coach. Rare is the case where all a team needs is a new head coach after a 2-14 season. Like Lucky said, this team should be torn down and rebuilt after last season.
Old 04-01-2014   #93
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I guess it depends on what we consider rebuilding. I'll have to look & see how many starters we replaced last season. Wade Smith though... I thought we should have dumped him last year, I don't understand letting him play out his contract for his level of play the previous year. I surely did not expect him to bounce back.

But I don't consider it a rebuild if you don't have to change out your core players. Matt, OD, & DMann... I thought they were part of that core. HC change as well..... yup it's a rebuild.

I still think we're going to be competitive next season though. I believe we have a stronger core than most of the teams on our schedule. I don't think we'll be in the division hunt come December, but we'll be a strong contender for a Wild Card.
Old 04-01-2014   #94
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

I believe in BOB
I notice you didn't say when you expected a Super Bowl.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #95
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Typically, when you hire a new Head Coach and sign/draft a new QB, it's a rebuild.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 04-01-2014   #96
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is everyone so obsessed with what we're calling it? This has spilled over into multiple threads now. I don't care what it is, as long as it works and sets this franchise up with a plan for long term success.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #97
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Why is everyone so obsessed with what we're calling it? This has spilled over into multiple threads now. I don't care what it is, as long as it works and sets this franchise up with a plan for long term success.
It's a new low point even for off-seasons. Next up we'll debate whether elephants are huge or enormous.
Old 04-01-2014   #98
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Rebuild to me says we don't expect to win much. I refuse to believe that.
Old 04-01-2014   #99
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought about that after I commented. It's about on par with the "who is most responsible for selling the play action" conversation.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #100
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It's a new low point even for off-seasons. Next up we'll debate whether elephants are huge or enormous.
I'd go huge. Whales are enormous. JMO.

- The Immortal Bo

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read