Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-31-2014   #21
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manning released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Chris clemons = 28 yo, 5 years in the league

kendrick lewis = 25 yo, 3-4 years in the league

Swearinger = 2nd year guy..
Dam I forgot about Lewis. My heads been stuck in the draft section to long.
Old 03-31-2014   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Apparently Manning was asked last week to take a pay cut, and he refused thus the Texans released him.

Not much more to say. Good luck. Good but not great player who had some injury issues. I would have liked to have kept him, but I can see why they wanted him to take a cut in pay. Clemons can do a decent job replacing him I think.

I've said all along this is a rebuild. Anyone that thinks otherwise is not living in reality.
I haven't come to terms with it just yet. In other threads, I suggested we cut OD & DMann to free up cap space, but that was arguing with people saying we needed the money to sign "starters"

I understand their histories, but when they were healthy they both earned their money, I thought. The only reason to cut them, is if you plan on signing difference makers.

We already had enough money to fill out the roster with roll players, vet minimum guys, our draft picks & a few UDFAs... most of the "starters" are already signed by other teams. I can't imagine the Texans are clearing cap space to roll into next season when we gained $17M by trading Schaub, the cap goes up $10M due to the Thursday night contracts, & the new TV deal should give us another bump.

Makes you wonder if something is going on down on Kirby.
Old 03-31-2014   #23
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Nice chunk of change to add depth.
unknown "depth" =/= good starter
Not sure this was a good deal.

Are they simply getting rid of all the Wade/Gary guys?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #24
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I haven't come to terms with it just yet. In other threads, I suggested we cut OD & DMann to free up cap space, but that was arguing with people saying we needed the money to sign "starters"

I understand their histories, but when they were healthy they both earned their money, I thought. The only reason to cut them, is if you plan on signing difference makers.

We already had enough money to fill out the roster with roll players, vet minimum guys, our draft picks & a few UDFAs... most of the "starters" are already signed by other teams. I can't imagine the Texans are clearing cap space to roll into next season when we gained $17M by trading Schaub, the cap goes up $10M due to the Thursday night contracts, & the new TV deal should give us another bump.

Makes you wonder if something is going on down on Kirby.
Something as in status quo?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #25
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17470 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Clemons 16 games started last two years. Manning 13 missed games in last 3 years. We got younger at the position, at a third of the price Manning was getting paid.

I am enjoying the hard nose approach the front office is taking.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Something as in status quo?
Something as in maybe they'll surprise us with a JJ Watt extension this year, or maybe they're negotiating a starting QB contract for a QB on someone's bench.
Old 03-31-2014   #27
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

The way Texans operates recently reminds me of how Patriots FO negotiate with their players. The Patriots seems to me pay good money for a key/core quality player only. I think this is the way to go so we won't be tied up with cap situation in the future. Besides, JJ Watt's contract is coming up next season.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #28
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Dam I forgot about Lewis. My heads been stuck in the draft section to long.
Don't worry, Kendrick Lewis' play was very forgettable last year. As stated in his thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Lewis was rated 52nd/85 Safetys overall in 2013 (>25% snaps) by PFF.

That would be ahead of Swearing and Keo and just behind Manning. (And ahead of Quintin Demps, KC) So below average. 2012 he was bottom 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #29
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
New head coach with a new coaching staff = rebuilding. It was settled for me a long time ago. But it's not a point worth arguing about unless you want to argue about Bob McNohair's ridiculous little speeches.
I never believed it when he said it. No head coach, staff, or starting QB at the time. It was obvious to everyone, but he still needs to rah rah to sell tickets and keep that on-going 12 year sellout streak going. I don't hold it against him, though. It's what he's supposed to do.
Old 03-31-2014   #30
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes I expect this team to be competitive next year. At least 8 win depending on who they get at QB.

Our division isn't tough. There is still a lot of talent on this team. We have 11 picks in a good draft. We can still shore up some spots in FA and we just got 4.5 mil from Dman being cut.

But again, all depends on QB play.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #31
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

What a game that was that Manning had against his x-teammates in Chitown a couple years ago. If he ends up on the roster of a team the Texans will see on their schedule, our guys had better buckle up their chin straps when they show up for that game.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #32
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Don't worry, Kendrick Lewis' play was very forgettable last year. As stated in his thread:
The following conversation occurred between my brother (Chiefs season ticket holder for over 30 years) and my nephew (who now shares his season tickets) during a recent visit home:

Quote:
Brother: The Texans just signed the guy who lost the Colts playoff game for us.

Nephew: Good!
Just sayin'
Old 03-31-2014   #33
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I am concerned because at this time I don't see anyone on the roster that can be considered a starting FS.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #34
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33323 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
The way Texans operates recently reminds me of how Patriots FO negotiate with their players. The Patriots seems to me pay good money for a key/core quality player only. I think this is the way to go so we won't be tied up with cap situation in the future. Besides, JJ Watt's contract is coming up next season.
This might be an unpopular opinion but you don't throw all of your money on one player, even if it is JJ. This is a TEAM game, after all. There are 10 other players on the field, each playing an important role.
Old 03-31-2014   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Something that seems to be overlooked is that the Texans had a way of also calling on Manning when returners on the team would falter.
Old 03-31-2014   #36
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Not worried at all. I didn't think much of Manning's play last year and I think Clemons is an upgrade at FS.

I love Swearinger as a SS, but that's based mostly on potential.

I think we can draft a good athlete at safety to provide depth, learn and possibly contribute. But I'm not concerned with this at all.

Currently I'm more worried about the D-line, CB's and OLB's...general pass rush. I think Safety is about the least of the defenses worries.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #37
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Apparently Manning was asked last week to take a pay cut, and he refused thus the Texans released him.

Not much more to say. Good luck. Good but not great player who had some injury issues. I would have liked to have kept him, but I can see why they wanted him to take a cut in pay. Clemons can do a decent job replacing him I think.

I've said all along this is a rebuild. Anyone that thinks otherwise is not living in reality.
I still think it's something different. Call it a "modern rebuild". I think they're trying to rebuild and win at the same time. We've really seen a "build" (2002-2005) and one bare-cupboard "rebuild" (2006-2009) in our time as Texans fans. this is a different kind of rebuild. There are players here. There are players here who have won here. This is an attempt to fix what's broken and start winning in a year, maybe two tops.

That's what I think. Not much to go on yet but the Texans approach so far to free agency has been intelligent, dynamic (for them), and consistent. This is kind of like the year that Manning and Joseph were signed. That year you got a feeling that the Texans were working according to a plan which felt really different from most years. They may have had a plan most years for free agency but it always felt like it was a stupid plan or a very short-sighted plan. Grabbing guys who were over the hill, paying too much for too little (basically the Ed Reed deal is the perfect example of that).

The year we brought in Joseph and Manning you got the feeling that the Texans were doing things the smart way. This year feels like that. Good moves in free agency. Nothing stinking of desperation for a change. Getting something for Schaub was smart. Letting Manning go when they couldn't make a deal to restructure was smart.

Feels like the new era that it is. Makes it easier to enjoy being a fan of the team when you don't feel like they're wandering around blindfolded in a minefield taking directions from the other GM's.
Old 03-31-2014   #38
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

[quote=_King_;2320501]Not worried at all. I didn't think much of Manning's play last year and I think Clemons is an upgrade at FS.

I think we can draft a good athlete at safety to provide depth, learn and possibly contribute. But I'm not concerned with this at all.

Currently I'm more worried about the D-line, CB's and OLB's...general pass rush. I think Safety is about the least of the defenses worries.[/QUOTE]

Past Texans regimens unfortunately for a long time had that same philosophy. Not having a reliable LAST line of defense isn't a significant concern. OK.
Old 03-31-2014   #39
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=CloakNNNdagger;2320508]
Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
Not worried at all. I didn't think much of Manning's play last year and I think Clemons is an upgrade at FS.

Currently I'm more worried about the D-line, CB's and OLB's...general pass rush. I think Safety is about the least of the defenses worries.[/QUOTE]

Past Texans regimens unfortunately for a long time had that same philosophy. Not having a reliable LAST line of defense isn't a significant concern. OK.
signed,

Matt Stevens
Glen Earl
CC Brown
Eugene Wilson
Dominque Barber
Brandon Harrison
Troy Nolan

& now you can add Shilo Keo to this list of futility.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, I'm scrambling around trying to figure out whether it the the Giants or Broncos that released "Manning" and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
I thought he agreed to a pay cut to stay on.....
Waited to publish this, but apparently Manning was asked to take a pay that would have put his contract in the neighborhood of the one Clemons signed...
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli Mar 28
Quote:
From what I understand, Clemons got a similar salary to what Manning was offered in the pay cut the #Texans asked him to take.
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Chris Clemons counts $1.15 million against the cap this year.

Chris Clemons two years for 2.7 mil and 450,000 guaranteed.
Would have been a hefty cut, although he'll likely find the market not much higher. What's interesting is...
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Texans saved $4.5 million on cap by waiving Manning, making them more than $13 million under the cap.
Appears we're stockpiling cap room... to target a free agent?... or put it to other use?

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-31-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read