Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Is it time to part ways with Foster?
Yes 36 30.51%
No 82 69.49%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2014   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Should foster be next to go?

I know foster has a lot off supporters here but when you look at his mileage, contract, injury history and current off field issues it should be considered. I believe his value will only decline from this point forward. IMO we should seeing what we can get in return for him in a trade.

There should be some very good backs available late in this draft.
Old 03-31-2014   #2
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild
Default Re: Should foster be next to go?

He will have the season to get right because we currently do not have a better option. I suspect this will be his last season here and we will draft or pick-up some UFAs to fill the backup role.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #3
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a tid bit.. salary and cap hit stay roughly 5 and 9 million respectively over the remainder of his contract. 7.5 dead money this yr, 5 million next, 2.5 last yr.

All depends on his current value and what we would get in return. Everything is for sale. Just depends.
Tailgate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post
He will have the season to get right because we currently do not have a better option. I suspect this will be his last season here and we will draft or pick-up some UFAs to fill the backup role.
The point is this is a rebuilding year and he probably doesn't have much value left after this year so why not get something for him now while we still can?
Old 03-31-2014   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Not released...but he should be the next 1 they ask to take a pay cut though...given his off season shenanigans & his injury history the last 2 years. He's got to be brought back into affordability.
Mr teX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

There is negligible cap savings to trading him. He is coming off an injury and hasn't had an opportunity to show he has recovered. Combine that with the Texans trying to trade him and his value will be squat. Let him play next year and then re-ask the question.
Old 03-31-2014   #7
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17470 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
The point is this is a rebuilding year and he probably doesn't have much value left after this year so why not get something for him now while we still can?
Not sure you can get anything for a high paid RB coming off back surgery and constant hamstring issues. I believe Arian will remain for one more year. Very good 3 down back regardless.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2014   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think this is the good time for that.

I don't think he's going to be what he was in the past but he should still give us a few good games.

BUT.

When you look at the Patriot model for using RBs, they tend to platoon the position (although they had some pretty good success with Corey Dillon as the feature back, iirc). I'm expecting them to move to that 2-3 back rotation that NE uses. So Foster's career could be extended because he'll be used more in rotation and situationally. I was a little surprised we didn't go after Blount.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I vote no at least for now. Apparently he is healthy & if he can get a reduced load, could be excellent. We need to bring in a replacement though & I was leaning towards Knoshown Moreno before he went to Miami. I like Carlos Hyde @#33 with a trade to Browns getting #4 & #26 but am mocking no RB until third day with Storm Johnson UCF.
Old 03-31-2014   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

No for this yr.

Yes if he isn't his old self next yr.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the better question should be...

Should he have been given that big money contract to begin with?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

What are the cap savings for releasing him now ? If they are significant I would lean towards releasing him. He's had a few real good years here, once was named to the All-Pro team if I'm not mistaken and he finally got that one big pay day after receiving little compensation comparativly speaking when first signing with the Texans as an UDFA when initially coming into the league. He'll soon be 28, and there's the history with the injures, and most of all a new HC who wants his own guys on the roster.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is another question that cannot be answered until it's too late.

Two important factors need careful analysis before one can give an intelligent answer:
1) Will he be the pre-contract/pre-injury Foster in 2014?
and
2) How important will Foster's running style and talents be in the new O'Brien offense?

Does O'Brien need a 25-30 carry/game RB like Kubiak's offense did? Or will O'Brien - as N.E. seems to do - run a lot of delays, draws, and screens that can be achieved by committee?

If the answer is yes to the 25-30 carry/game question AND Foster is the 2011 Foster, then we keep him. IF our newfangled offense mirrors the Patriot offense where you mainly run when you catch the defense with the wrong personnel set on the field then maybe RBBC will do just fine and we try to trade him.

After getting a 6th for Schaub I'm shopping EVERYbody around before they're just plain released. Never hurts to ask.

My answer to the original question: I don't know yet.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #14
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Baltimore has a lot of picks and needs a RB. Just saying

However, I think it'd be good to give Foster a year. I admit I'm curious to see how O'Brien's offense incorporates him into the attack. Foster running well could also help our rookie QB/Keenum/Yates/Fitzpatrick/whoever settle down through the year.
Old 03-31-2014   #15
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I think the better question should be...

Should he have been given that big money contract to begin with?
It was a bargain considering all the money guys like DeAngelo Williams got. *shudder*
Old 03-31-2014   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There is negligible cap savings to trading him.
This is where I'm at. What's the point?

Far as I know, the guy can still play. You're not going to sign a replacement for what you'll be saving. I have no problem with the Texans drafting his replacement, & letting that guy show that he can be as good as Tate was when he was healthy.

We'll save $1M if we cut him this year. $4M to cut/trade him next year.

Makes more sense to have this discussion after the 2014 season.
Old 03-31-2014   #17
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we at least see if the guy is back to form?. We just let Tate walk and now you guys want to let Foster go too?.
Old 03-31-2014   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I know foster has a lot off supporters here but when you look at his mileage, contract, injury history and current off field issues it should be considered. I believe his value will only decline from this point forward. IMO we should seeing what we can get in return for him in a trade.

There should be some very good backs available late in this draft.
I said "No" but it was really more of a "Not quite yet'. I know the day is coming and I know that we maybe even run the risk of keeping him a year too long but Foster even last year until he got hurt was a complete game changer for us. Ben Tate and all the guys who came after him weren't even close to being what Foster was when he was healthy. I think with a new QB coming in (and I think a young QB will be starting by mid-season if we take one) we would be foolish taking a veteran like Foster away from him.

Maybe next year. I know one thing. By next year the answer to this question will be apparent to everyone.
Old 03-31-2014   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Makes more sense to have this discussion after the 2014 season.
This. A thousand times this. Unless Foster is injured again and becomes useless forever, he could very well have a season or two left in him of greatness. We have ZERO RBs worth a damn on the roster other than Foster as it is, lets not get rid of the only RB we have that we know can play.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
...but Foster even last year until he got hurt was a complete game changer for us. Ben Tate and all the guys who came after him weren't even close to being what Foster was when he was healthy. I think with a new QB coming in (and I think a young QB will be starting by mid-season if we take one) we would be foolish taking a veteran like Foster away from him.
Just imagine if we fix our OL issues.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read