Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-31-2014   #961
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I would hope he could draw his own conclusions about the NFL potential of college QB prospects based most of all from studying their game tape, not from visiting with others. In other words, Jaws is an askee, not an askor.
What do you base your criticisms of Jaws on, and if not Jaws, who do you consider a talented QB evaluator ? Grueden ? Mayoc ?
We can all draw our own conclusions. My point, just because Jaws was a fairly successful QB doesn't make him an expert, or even qualified in evaluating QBs. I'd take a guy like Kubiak over Jaws anyday... but not many of those guys make it to TV.

If Jaws wants to share his experience in the NFL & relate what was going on for him when he was in the huddle, that's great. I think that adds to the production part of an NFL game.

But I think he often oversteps his bounds & tries to pass himself off in capacities he has no reason sticking his nose in. For instance, I remember very vividly a game he & Chucky were broadcasting. Belichick decided to go for it on 4th & short inside the 20. Didn't make it & Jaws was going on & on about how dumb that was. After several minutes, Chucky chimed in.... "we are talking about Bill Belichick, I think he's earned the right to make that call."

I like our draftniks better than the national medias & take their word more so than I do the McShays or the Kipers, or the Mayocks.... but if we're talking Jaws or Kiper on what's actually involved when reading a zone dog, I'm going with Jaws. When I want to know what the scouts & NFL insiders think about college prospects, I'm going with Mayock (or Kiper/McShay, etc...)
Old 03-31-2014   #962
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We can all draw our own conclusions. My point, just because Jaws was a fairly successful QB doesn't make him an expert, or even qualified in evaluating QBs. I'd take a guy like Kubiak over Jaws anyday... but not many of those guys make it to TV.

If Jaws wants to share his experience in the NFL & relate what was going on for him when he was in the huddle, that's great. I think that adds to the production part of an NFL game.

But I think he often oversteps his bounds & tries to pass himself off in capacities he has no reason sticking his nose in.
So Jaws' knowledge stops in 1976? He hasn't learned anything being part owner of an AFL team and almost 30 years of broadcast experience and tape analysis? That seems reasonable.
Old 03-31-2014   #963
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jaws

Jaworski is eminently qualified to gauge QB prospects. He played the position at the highest level and gets paid to do same with NFL QBs in NFL Match-up, Sunday Countdown, and Monday Night Countdown and can run circles around the likes of Kiper/McShay/Mayock.

If I had any complaint it's I think he holds back on negative comments.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #964
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jaws

Just say you disagree with him TKyss..Don't have to belittle his credentials...

Because he's obviously more 'qualified' than anyone here. Doesn't make him right though.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #965
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So Jaws' knowledge stops in 1976? He hasn't learned anything being part owner of an AFL team and almost 30 years of broadcast experience and tape analysis? That seems reasonable.
That's not what I said. Not at all. If you believe that makes him qualified to evaluate NFL QB prospects.... fine. I'm not going to argue with you.

I don't think Rich Eisen would try to pass himself off as a QB scout.

I don't think Peyton Manning would pass himself off as a food critic.

& I don't think we'll be seeing John Elway review automobiles for JD Power & associates.

He's no more qualified than John McClain or anyone else who's been watching the NFL for the last 30 years.
Old 03-31-2014   #966
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's not what I said. Not at all. If you believe that makes him qualified to evaluate NFL QB prospects.... fine. I'm not going to argue with you.

I don't think Rich Eisen would try to pass himself off as a QB scout.

I don't think Peyton Manning would pass himself off as a food critic.

& I don't think we'll be seeing John Elway review automobiles for JD Power & associates.

He's no more qualified than John McClain or anyone else who's been watching the NFL for the last 30 years.
As King said, just say you disagree with Jaw's take. No need to attempt to discredit him. Your argument - and not just yours but ANY argument - is much, much less strong when you have to fall back on attacking the thinker instead of countering their thought process(es) point for point.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #967
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
As King said, just say you disagree with Jaw's take. No need to attempt to discredit him. Your argument - and not just yours but ANY argument - is much, much less strong when you have to fall back on attacking the thinker instead of countering their thought process(es) point for point.
How about you post in whatever manner you feel appropriate & I do the same. & FYI, my post was not an attempt to discredit anyone, nor an attack on jaws, but fit within the context of the discussion.

Quote:
Quote:
One might think that sounds crazy, but don't we agree that Jaws knows more, probably much more about QBs than people like McShay & Kiper who both have Manziel going high in the first round ?
Not at all. I don't think Jaworski has spent any time evaluating college prospects. I don't think he's spent any time talking to teams or scouts to even know what teams are looking for in a QB.

He was a "successful" QB, ask him to read defenses & share how he handled certain aspects of the game, sure. But he's not a coach, not a QB expert, not a scout.

Jaws knows how he did it, that doesn't make him an expert on the way Manning does it, or Brees, or Tarkenton, or Monatana, or Manziel.
I don't agree that Jaws knows more about QBs than people like McShay & Kipper, no more than I think Tebow, Vick, or Ryan Fitzpatrick does. I'll take beerlover's, rmartin, kiwitexansfan's & many others opinion of Manziel before I take Kipers & I'll take Kiper's opinion before I take Jaws...

that's just the way it is. Sorry you don't feel the same way... actually, I'm not. That's just how it is.
Old 03-31-2014   #968
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How about you post in whatever manner you feel appropriate & I do the same. & FYI, my post was not an attempt to discredit anyone, nor an attack on jaws, but fit within the context of the discussion.
Fair enough.
Quote:
I don't agree that Jaws knows more about QBs than people like McShay & Kipper, no more than I think Tebow, Vick, or Ryan Fitzpatrick does. I'll take beerlover's, rmartin, kiwitexansfan's & many others opinion of Manziel before I take Kipers & I'll take Kiper's opinion before I take Jaws...

that's just the way it is. Sorry you don't feel the same way... actually, I'm not. That's just how it is.
No need to be sorry. We just have different viewpoints on this item; no big whoop. Everyone has their own dataset(s) they take stock in. They've all have their hits and misses. And the truth is that we won't know who was/is closer to being spot on until player X takes the field in the NFL.

sorry to come off so preachy.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #969
The Hammer
noob

What do you think of this:

http://www.gotitans.com/threads/obri...ybe-two.91373/

It looks like Obrien wants to draft two QBs.
The Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #970
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post

I've got no problem with that.

A guy up near the top of the draft and a more developmental guy near the end.

Then we end up with a QB corps of Fitzpatrick, a rookie being groomed to take over asap, either Yates or Keenum, and another rookie on the practice squad.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #971
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If you listen to the audio, he's not saying that he wants to draft two QB's. He's just saying it's an option.

But I've got no problem drafting 2 QB's if there is a guy with tremendous talent they think provides great value.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #972
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In the context and how he stated it, it didn't tell us anything about who our quarterback would be, where in the rounds he would be chosen or if there would definitely be two chosen. He's said in the past he intends to take TJ and Case into TC............that's when we find out what his grand plan is. TJ, Case, Ryan, whomever we pick in the Draft........anyone of them could end up our starter, although OB has made comments to make us believe that the Draftee will sit, watch and develop before there is any consideration to put him in.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #973
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

Direct Link to Article if you don't want to go to the Titan's forum.
Old 04-03-2014   #974
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I have this feeling we're going to be a bit blindsided by who OB tabs at QB if we go elsewhere at 1-1. I'm not seeing Garopolo.
You know where I stand on that.

However, with the other talent in this draft that we can get with our 2nd/3rd/4th round picks & plenty of 5th/6th/7th rounders to package & trade up, I don't know if there's enough value to take a QB that would give us the upgrade we need over Tj & Case.

Even my guy. I think he can be a productive starter, but I don't think he'll be a franchise guy, or an Andrew Luck "equalizer" I think Manziel has that kind of potential, but unless he's there at the top of the 2nd, I don't see the risk/reward value I'd like to see to pull the trigger.

Now if we're going to take a QB in this draft as a future starter, for me it's Aj then Murray with our 2-1. If we're going to go BPA those guys would have to be there in the middle of the third for me to say, "I can't pass" on them.

If I had my rathers, I hope they're clearing cap room to offer Mallet a starters contract ~$7 to $9M a year, 1st year's cap around $5M.

Other than that..... I'm warming to the idea of best of Fitzpatrick/Yates/Keenum.

1. Clowney
  2. Yankey
  3. Best OT

I wouldn't mind something like that.
Old 04-03-2014   #975
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I hear he is going to take a QB with all 9 picks. The "Im going to come out of this draft with a damn QB" draft.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #976
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I hear he is going to take a QB with all 9 picks. The "Im going to come out of this draft with a damn QB" draft.
lol
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #977
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 102617 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
I can't shake off this terrible feeling we will draft clowney and a crappy QB.
I don't know if I can stand a season watching two DE with this expression on their face after Yet Another QB Fail

I think you better get used to that look if Ryan Fitzpatrick is the starter.

Quote:
And then this year Jaworski has said that Manziel was not even a QB worthy of the first 3 rounds, but then "moved him up" to the third round based on his widely acclaimed PD. One might think that sounds crazy, but don't we agree that Jaws knows more, probably much more about QBs than people like McShay & Kiper who both have Manziel going high in the first round ?
Last year most had USCs Matt Barkley going in first or second round, right ? Eventually the Eagles took him in the fourth round.
Conventional thinking is often off mark also in the NFL Draft.
Quote:
Not at all. I don't think Jaworski has spent any time evaluating college prospects. I don't think he's spent any time talking to teams or scouts to even know what teams are looking for in a QB.

He was a "successful" QB, ask him to read defenses & share how he handled certain aspects of the game, sure. But he's not a coach, not a QB expert, not a scout.

Jaws knows how he did it, that doesn't make him an expert on the way Manning does it, or Brees, or Tarkenton, or Monatana, or Manziel.
I would say that if Jaws has watched hundreds of hours of film on the QB's you listed, he may very well be an expert on how they operate, and what it would take to develop a young into one of them.

TV is a funny thing, and what you normally see if a very attractive person hired for obvious reason, even though they may not possess real football knowledge, but they can read a prompter and look good doing it. I think you can tune into NFLN, ESPN, etc and see good examples of that.

In the case of Jaws, he has a face for radio, not TV, so it would be safe to think he remains employed because he is good at what he does, not because the way he looks. If you have ever watched any of his Qb breakdowns, it's clear he puts a great deal of thought into his analysis, and backs up his claims with visual evidence. Anyone can be wrong, regardless of their credentials, but IMO it's a pretty safe bet to listen to a guy like Jaws when he talks about QB's.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #978
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
I think you better get used to that look if Ryan Fitzpatrick is the starter.
We're already used to it. An NFL record of consecutive pick 6's will do that to ya.
Quote:
Anyone can be wrong, regardless of their credentials, but IMO it's a pretty safe bet to listen to a guy like Jaws when he talks about QB's.
Jaworski's been wrong before. He missed on Russell Wilson. I think he has a problem with short QBs. I have a problem with QBs who throw games away.
Old 04-04-2014   #979
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
In the case of Jaws, he has a face for radio, not TV, so it would be safe to think he remains employed because he is good at what he does, not because the way he looks. If you have ever watched any of his Qb breakdowns, it's clear he puts a great deal of thought into his analysis, and backs up his claims with visual evidence. Anyone can be wrong, regardless of their credentials, but IMO it's a pretty safe bet to listen to a guy like Jaws when he talks about QB's.
That has nothing to do with determining whether a college prospect will or will not develop into a successful NFL QB. Like I said, Kiper, McShay, Mayock... the guys he's being compared to, have done it for a long time & are much respected for their opinions on college prospects.
Old 04-04-2014   #980
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That has nothing to do with determining whether a college prospect will or will not develop into a successful NFL QB. Like I said, Kiper, McShay, Mayock... the guys he's being compared to, have done it for a long time & are much respected for their opinions on college prospects.
You are confusing rumor mongering and analysis. Mayock and Jaws are respected analysts. It's hard to even type that Kiper and McShay are respected for anything much less analysis.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read