Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-28-2014   #941
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
But it's just my opinion. I really don't see anything that stands out from the top three. If the Texans decide to wait for next year, oh well.
The bold is the wrong perspective IMO as reason for taking a QB in the 2nd. It's grounds for not taking one of the top 3 maybe but the same logic should apply in the 2nd. Is there anything that stands out about any of the guys who will be available at 2.1 that makes them stand out and you be tempted to shake your head they are still available?

Quote:
By the way, who is your favorite qb in this draft?
Not particularly enamoured of any of them and won't complain about them either other than McCarron & Boyd.

Quote:
Me personally, I'm looking for the next Montana or Brady.
Everyone is and I don't mind the Texans taking a flyer on some guy they think might be that overlooked gem. I just wouldn't spend the pick on something they saw no particular gem qualities in just to buy a ticket in the lottery though.
Old 03-28-2014   #942
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
But it's just my opinion. I really don't see anything that stands out from the top three.
The bold is the wrong perspective IMO as reason for taking a QB in the 2nd. It's grounds for not taking one of the top 3 maybe but the same logic should apply in the 2nd. Is there anything that stands out about any of the guys who will be available at 2.1 that makes them stand out and you be tempted to shake your head they are still available?
I agree with what you're saying.

The way I look at it, I've got 5 QBs that I like. I believe it is very likely they will be productive starters in this league. McCarron, Murray, Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles... that is not to say they all will, just that they all fit what I'm looking for, very different mix of the qualities, but they've all got a good amount of everything I think a successful QB needs.

If we get to 2-1 & they are all still on the board & I think 2 will be left by the time we get to 3-1, I'm not taking a QB at 2-1 either. If I pass & three of them come off the board quick, I'm going to try to move back into the second to try to get one of the remaining two.

If we get to 2-1 & only two are still there, or three... I'm going to take the one I like best.

If there was one guy, who I thought was a much better prospect than the other 4... whether I thought he was a sure thing or not, & I thought he is most likely to go in the first round, I'd probably take him with the #1 overall... even if he's got a mid round grade. So if I felt that way about Bridgewater (& some people here do) I'd take him at 1-1 & I won't be ashamed to say, "Yeah, there's elite talent there that I'm passing on, but I think this is the right way to go."

If I think that one guy, who is way ahead of the pack will be there at 2-1 because he's being underrated by everyone else... I'll take the chance that he'll be there at 2-1 & I'll take him at 2-1 even if all five are still on the board.
Old 03-28-2014   #943
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't heard much chatter about Logan Thomas since the combine, but I have heard O'Brien mention him (along with other 2nd tier QB's) in two seperate interviews. Could he be interested in Thomas in the later rounds? Thomas is definitely a project, but with his size & skill sets, could he be what O'Brien is looking for?

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #944
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I haven't heard much chatter about Logan Thomas since the combine, but I have heard O'Brien mention him (along with other 2nd tier QB's) in two seperate interviews. Could he be interested in Thomas in the later rounds? Thomas is definitely a project, but with his size & skill sets, could he be what O'Brien is looking for?
Most of the draftnik community (myself included) on this board think he's going to end up either as a TE or in Canada.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #945
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Most of the draftnik community (myself included) on this board think he's going to end up either as a TE or in Canada.
I would concur.
Old 03-31-2014   #946
pbthunder
Rookie

Bortles.
pbthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #947
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I love Thomas as a developmental QB.

But I appear to be the line voice in the TT wilderness.
Old 03-31-2014   #948
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
value. there has become an established "big 3", but from all i've seen and heard, there's not much of dropoff from 1 to 8(ish). if you're getting similar potential with similar questions, it goes from "face of the franchise" to "acceptable risk" in the 2nd or even 3rd round.
Old 03-31-2014   #949
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
value. there has become an established "big 3", but from all i've seen and heard, there's not much of dropoff from 1 to 8(ish). if you're getting similar potential with similar questions, it goes from "face of the franchise" to "acceptable risk" in the 2nd or even 3rd round.
I understand the concept, I just disagree with it. To me giving up on a player who will almost certainly start and may be a star is too high a price for an "acceptable risk" QB whose greatest redeeming quality is that the QBs who will be taken in front of him (which by the way means there still is a drop off) aren't much better. The reasons for drafting a player should be about that player more than the lack of talent at his position.

One player who might be an exception is Murray who would probably rank significantly higher but for his height and knee injury. If you think he is a 1st round talent who is slipping to the 4th and are not as concerned about his height then that's the kind of thing that makes for an acceptable risk to me. That's a value move IMO.

* One of the reasons I liked Mallett when he was being discussed was he was a similar value pick - a 1st round talent who fell because of off field conduct concerns.
Old 03-31-2014   #950
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 40895 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't shake off this terrible feeling we will draft clowney and a crappy QB.
I don't know if I can stand a season watching two DE with this expression on their face after Yet Another QB Fail

Old 03-31-2014   #951
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

I don't know if I can stand a season watching two DE with this expression on their face after Yet Another QB Fail

You have that feeling because you're used to Kubiak's Texans. We have a new coach. I'm willing to sit back and give O'Brien some leeway for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #952
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 40895 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
You have that feeling because you're used to Kubiak's Texans. We have a new coach. I'm willing to sit back and give O'Brien some leeway for a while.
O'B is the reason why that's just a feeling
Old 03-31-2014   #953
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I love Thomas as a developmental QB.

But I appear to be the line voice in the TT wilderness.
No you aren't. It would be very interesting if we had the money and could afford the pick and space.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #954
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand the concept, I just disagree with it. To me giving up on a player who will almost certainly start and may be a star is too high a price for an "acceptable risk" QB whose greatest redeeming quality is that the QBs who will be taken in front of him (which by the way means there still is a drop off) aren't much better. The reasons for drafting a player should be about that player more than the lack of talent at his position.

One player who might be an exception is Murray who would probably rank significantly higher but for his height and knee injury. If you think he is a 1st round talent who is slipping to the 4th and are not as concerned about his height then that's the kind of thing that makes for an acceptable risk to me. That's a value move IMO.

* One of the reasons I liked Mallett when he was being discussed was he was a similar value pick - a 1st round talent who fell because of off field conduct concerns.
I agree with this. I also wouldn't be surprised if the 32 teams don't all have the same three guys at the top of the QB rankings. Someone out there has Murray at #1, some of them have Mettenberger at #1. It's no secret that I have McCarron as the #1 QB in this draft.

You mentioned Mallet, Belichick said they thought he was the #1 QB in that draft... may have been coach speak, may have been that he made his list knowing full well which QBs would be available to him.

There's too many ways to look at it. But bottom line, just because the internet says Bridgewater, Manziel, & Bortles are the best QB prospects in this draft, doesn't mean the 32 teams that will be picking QBs agree. If I thought Tom Savage was the best QB in this draft, I'd be excited that no one is even talking about him & I may be able to get him as late as the 5th round.
Old 03-31-2014   #955
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about that. There are a lot of good prospects available in this draft. Write yourself a list of all the best qualities that you'd like to see in a QB prospect & look at the mix of those qualities that you get with the top three; Bortles, Manziel, & Bridgewater.

You'll find a very comparable mix in QBs that will be available later in this draft; Metenberger, Murray, Garoppolo, Fales, Shaw, Matthews.

Murray, for instance, has been a better QB than Matthew Stafford at Georgia & he's being viewed in the third round or later. You'd think that 1st & 2nd round QBs would then be better prospects than Stafford, but they're not. I can't think of one QB in this draft that I would take hands down over Stafford.
Old 03-31-2014   #956
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Interest in Aaron Murray
Quote:
A dozen NFL clubs have shown more interest in Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray than others, and not surprisingly, the Cincinnati Bengals are among them. The club's reported interest in Murray as a potential successor to starter Andy Dalton, however, is just one of many possible destinations for one of college football's most prolific passers.

According to ajc.com, other clubs eyeing the projected second- or third-day draft prospect include the Jacksonville Jaguars, Arizona Cardinals, Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, St. Louis Rams, Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Dallas Cowboys, Oakland Raiders, Tennessee Titans and Kansas City Chiefs. That doesn't exactly narrow the field too much, but it does represent a collection of clubs that either have an immediate need for a quarterback, or in most other cases, could use a young understudy.
Old 03-31-2014   #957
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree with this. I also wouldn't be surprised if the 32 teams don't all have the same three guys at the top of the QB rankings. Someone out there has Murray at #1, some of them have Mettenberger at #1. It's no secret that I have McCarron as the #1 QB in this draft.

You mentioned Mallet, Belichick said they thought he was the #1 QB in that draft... may have been coach speak, may have been that he made his list knowing full well which QBs would be available to him.

There's too many ways to look at it. But bottom line, just because the internet says Bridgewater, Manziel, & Bortles are the best QB prospects in this draft, doesn't mean the 32 teams that will be picking QBs agree. If I thought Tom Savage was the best QB in this draft, I'd be excited that no one is even talking about him & I may be able to get him as late as the 5th round.
And then this year Jaworski has said that Manziel was not even a QB worthy of the first 3 rounds, but then "moved him up" to the third round based on his widely acclaimed PD. One might think that sounds crazy, but don't we agree that Jaws knows more, probably much more about QBs than people like McShay & Kiper who both have Manziel going high in the first round ?
Last year most had USCs Matt Barkley going in first or second round, right ? Eventually the Eagles took him in the fourth round.
Conventional thinking is often off mark also in the NFL Draft.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #958
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
One might think that sounds crazy, but don't we agree that Jaws knows more, probably much more about QBs than people like McShay & Kiper who both have Manziel going high in the first round ?
Not at all. I don't think Jaworski has spent any time evaluating college prospects. I don't think he's spent any time talking to teams or scouts to even know what teams are looking for in a QB.

He was a "successful" QB, ask him to read defenses & share how he handled certain aspects of the game, sure. But he's not a coach, not a QB expert, not a scout.

Jaws knows how he did it, that doesn't make him an expert on the way Manning does it, or Brees, or Tarkenton, or Monatana, or Manziel.
Old 03-31-2014   #959
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Not at all. I don't think Jaworski has spent any time evaluating college prospects. I don't think he's spent any time talking to teams or scouts to even know what teams are looking for in a QB.
You base all this on what?

Quote:
He was a "successful" QB, ask him to read defenses & share how he handled certain aspects of the game, sure. But he's not a coach, not a QB expert, not a scout.

Jaws knows how he did it, that doesn't make him an expert on the way Manning does it, or Brees, or Tarkenton, or Monatana, or Manziel.
Jaws spends tons of tape time and very cogently explains a lot of things. Not sure where you get not even a QB expert from or that he has no insight into QBs other than his own play.
Old 03-31-2014   #960
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would hope he could draw his own conclusions about the NFL potential of college QB prospects based most of all from studying their game tape, not from visiting with others. In other words, Jaws is an askee, not an askor.
What do you base your criticisms of Jaws on, and if not Jaws, who do you consider a talented QB evaluator ? Grueden ? Mayoc ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read