Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2014   #241
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: O達rien Explains What Type Of Quarterback He Wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I had no idea that draft day trades and all were what OB is looking for in a QB. For some strange reason I thought it was a Tom Brady clone. Gotta love the off season!!! NOT!!!!!!
The Pats are always wheeling & dealing & stocking up future draft picks. I'm expecting to see a bit of that here in Houston.
Old 03-27-2014   #242
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The Pats are always wheeling & dealing & stocking up future draft picks. I'm expecting to see a bit of that here in Houston.
I totally agree. They have been notorious for trading back and stockpiling picks. That said, Manziel's performance was impressive enough to actually re-consider him as the first pick.
Old 03-27-2014   #243
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I do know this........... Coach O'Brien is under a tremendous amount of stress.

He knows he needs a QB and there are plenty out there, but does he want the smaller guy that appears to be the full package (who as an aside performed well - with pads) or does he want the big 6'-5" guy (i.e. Blake Bortles)....

Unfortunately, given his track record, whether a piece of the Pats organization or as HC of Penn State, he's looking for a Blake Bortles kind of guy.... The 6'-5" guy...
Old 03-27-2014   #244
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

As an aside, Matt Schaub was listed at 6'-5", 230......... Just sayin'!
Old 03-28-2014   #245
Mr.Scarface
Veteran

Rep Power: 4952 Mr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

He knows he needs a QB and there are plenty out there, but does he want the smaller guy that appears to be the full package (who as an aside performed well - with pads) or does he want the big 6'-5" guy (i.e. Blake Bortles)....

Unfortunately, given his track record, whether a piece of the Pats organization or as HC of Penn State, he's looking for a Blake Bortles kind of guy.... The 6'-5" guy...
Manziel's arm is better than Bortles
Mr.Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #246
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Really? Don't bogart, ppp. Capice?
there has not been a trade out the number 1 draft position in ten years. the last time a team traded an entire draft for any pick was the Ricky Williams saints stuff. A trade like this one is the a combined wet dream for the entire Texans fans base and organization.

Actually, with the Texans already having 11 picks, getting an "entire" draft is not functionally practical w/o lots of trade back ups and move picks into 2015.
Old 03-28-2014   #247
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I totally agree. They have been notorious for trading back and stockpiling picks. That said, Manziel's performance was impressive enough to actually re-consider him as the first pick.
I don't mean to say I believe we'll trade our #1 pick. We've got 11 for this year. While they don't carry as much value as the #1, 2.1 & 3.1 look really good in this draft with all the underclassmen coming out.
Old 03-28-2014   #248
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

Quote:
As an aside, Matt Schaub was listed at 6'-5", 230......... Just sayin'!
If he has two guys who were exactly the same in every way but height, I'm sure he'll pick the taller of the two... one less thing he has to deal with (unless one guy is freakishly large like 6'8" or 6'10" then height is a negative).

[senseless rant]
But they aren't all the same. Most everyone says Bridgewater has the highest football IQ of this bunch & he might.... but Manziel is no dummy & he's got other intangibles that Bridgewater doesn't come close to (imho).

The spotlight's been on Manziel since he was named a Heisman candidate as a Freshman. It's only gotten brighter & he's shined even brighter every step of the way (by most accounts). After winning the Heisman & all the attention he got over the summer, 2013 was supposed to be a test of his ability to perform up to higher expectations despite the distractions, I think he passed with flying colors.

Can Bridgewater do the same? Has he? I don't know that he can, I have no idea how he'll perform against the best of the best. Right now, he looks like Case Keenum in the preseason (if I can use that analogy), where nothing he's done to date has any bearing on how he'll perform in the NFL. That's just me & I know "y'all" don't agree.

Flacco came from a small conference, Ben came from a small conference, Cullpepper... yaddah, yaddah, yaddah.... they were all prototypical size & had laser guided rocket arms. I just don't see Bridgewater at 1-1 because he can read a junior college (or damn near) defense.

& then his pro day... little lights & he bombs. Johnny Day was a national event (hyperbole) an ex-POTUS was in attendance, the Gov of Texas was in attendance & he's playing booty shak'n music... Johnny doesn't blink an eye. It's like he was born for this.

I don't want the Texans to draft a QB with 1.1, I'll get behind any QB they do draft, but of the main three everyone talks about I can understand Manziel, I can understand (don't agree with) Bortles, I don't understand Bridgewater.

[/senseless rant]
Old 03-28-2014   #249
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
if the #1 player, who happens to be a QB, on your board falls to you at 7 and you pass on him cause you're pretty sure he's going to be there in the 2nd round...then either you're lying or you're stupid but got lucky.

let's not forget, they were on the market for a young QB at the time. this was before Alex Smith's "resurrection".
I know fantasy football isn't the exact same but the drafting process itself is still very similar. If I see a player that I think everyone has way underrated sitting there in the 1st round of the draft I don't go get him if I believe that noone knows how good he is. Part of being a GM is out manuvering your competition on draft day.

An example would be our drafting of duane brown. We didn't think anybody had him higher on our board so we dropped back a few spots and picked him up at the tail end of the first instead of the middle. We COULD have just taken him at 15(ish, don't remember exactly) but we dropped back.

If you thought that Mettenberger was the best QB in this draft would you take him No. 1 overall?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #250
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
there has not been a trade out the number 1 draft position in ten years. the last time a team traded an entire draft for any pick was the Ricky Williams saints stuff. A trade like this one is the a combined wet dream for the entire Texans fans base and organization.

Actually, with the Texans already having 11 picks, getting an "entire" draft is not functionally practical w/o lots of trade back ups and move picks into 2015.
Exactly.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #251
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 171756 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Apparently it's not as obvious as I thought it was but the Patriots can trade back and jump all over the board because unlike us, they have a better team and nucleus. They don't have holes like us and swiss cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #252
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 138774 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Apparently it's not as obvious as I thought it was but the Patriots can trade back and jump all over the board because unlike us, they have a better team and nucleus. They don't have holes like us and swiss cheese.
I like the Patriots example, but I think you can cover up a lot of deficiencies when you have one of the GOATs as your QB.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #253
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I was extremely impressed by Manziel's pro day...just saying.
Old 03-28-2014   #254
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
They have a big need at WR and all over their defense.

The thing with the Pats BB. That guy has to be the best HC I've ever seen at doing more with less in the talent dept. That flexibilty is what I'm hoping OB is bringing to the Texans.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read