Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2014   #2901
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 137757 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
I've yet to meet anyone who's seriously jocking the guy who ISN'T a Texas A&M alum. And truthfully he doesn't really excite me...which is odd because I'm known for my love of enormous "BUSTS"...
I'm not an Aggie, and I'm not gaga for Manziel. I think I'm more against the Texans considering Bridgewater and Bortles than I am pro Manziel. If the Texans draft Bridgewater I'll get on board shortly after my dissapointment, but if they draft Bortles I just might cry.
Old 03-27-2014   #2902
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
I've yet to meet anyone who's seriously jocking the guy who ISN'T a Texas A&M alum. And truthfully he doesn't really excite me...which is odd because I'm known for my love of enormous "BUSTS"...
Yep, all these guys are A&M alums...

Johnny Manziel will be a star in the NFL. I can't wait to watch him play!!!!

- Mike Vick (@MikeVick) March 27, 2014

Just finished watching my bro @JManziel2 pro day!! Don't take him if u want 2. He's a flat out STAR! Accuracy on point! #StriveForGreatness

- LeBron James (@KingJames) March 27, 2014

John Gruden compared Manziel to Steve Young after his pro day. Fran Tarkenton is dying for the Vikings to draft him. Chris Mortensen said he "aced" his pro day. Aaron Rodgers said two of the three commentators that kept harping on Manziel dropping his shoulder didn't know what they were talking about. The list goes on.
Old 03-27-2014   #2903
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35666 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Untrue. I believed Manziel could do it, but I was not convinced. His play during the LSU & Missouri games really made me doubt. I was excited after the Duke game, but I was not convinced he would put in the time and effort to prove himself as not only a phenomenal college QB but a capable pocket and under center QB. Manziel showed all of those things and more today. There is zero doubt in my mind he deserves to go #1. No one in the NFL is a guarantee but combine what Manziel did today with his leadership and intangibles, and you have the makings of a potentially great NFL QB.

Manziel hasn't shown that he's capable of staying in the pocket because he hasn't played a down in the NFL yet. Nobody will know how good he can be in the pocket until he starts playing in the NFL. The workout doesn't show any of that.

That's still the biggest question I have of him. How productive can he be in the pocket?

A few tackling dummies and a broom is not equivalent to a JJ Watt and other linemen rushing at him nonstop.
Old 03-27-2014   #2904
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
And what about his workout today should change your opinion of the LSU and Missouri games? I didn't see a real pass rush out there forcing him to make quicker reads. I didn't see press coverage on his WR's forcing him to make adjustments. I saw a scripted workout. He looked good, but it was a workout. Don't let a two-hour workout change an opinion you developed over watching 2 years of game tape.
Well, it wasn't revealed until later in the season that he was dealing with both an injured thumb on his throwing hand as well as an injured shoulder during those two games, so those would be the primary reasons I give a bit more of an excuse to his poor showing there. But yes, I agree. Let the tape tell the story, and all one needs to do is go watch the Bama games from both 2012 and 2013 to see all the tape they need to see.

What today showed me is that Manziel is willing to adapt. He could have thrown out of the shotgun, kept relying on his athleticism, worn shorts and a t-shirt, and numerous other things he did to step up his game and prove himself. He did everything a guy could possibly do to prove his doubters wrong.

The ONLY reason Manziel is not the consensus #1 pick is because he is 5'11-6'0. If the guy was 6'3, he'd be the first pick without question. He came out today though and showed the entire football world that he could compete with the best, is willing to work hard to improve, and is coachable.

I believed in Manziel before. I wasn't sure I believed in him enough to pick him #1. Top 10 before? Yes. Today simply sealed #1 for me.
Old 03-27-2014   #2905
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
Manziel hasn't shown that he's capable of staying in the pocket because he hasn't played a down in the NFL yet. Nobody will know how good he can be in the pocket until he starts playing in the NFL. The workout doesn't show any of that.

That's still the biggest question I have of him. How productive can he be in the pocket?

A few tackling dummies and a broom is not equivalent to a JJ Watt and other linemen rushing at him nonstop.
Completely agree. But the fact that he is working on it and took every (or nearly every) snap under center says a lot about what he has been working on. Of course it's different when guys like JJ Watt are chasing you down. But that can be said about every single player to ever enter the NFL.
Old 03-27-2014   #2906
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I can't say much for the broom stick. Dude just doesn't make plays
I had him mocked to us in the 7th, but after that... I don't think I even want him as a UDFA. His motor is seriously lacking.
Old 03-27-2014   #2907
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Prodays and combine workouts should be the smallest factor in picking players IMO. The only thing they are good for is measurements.
Old 03-27-2014   #2908
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
And Manziel is a rouge scholar? Please.
We're not French. You can use the English word red, though I'm not sure what the hell a red scholar would be.
Old 03-27-2014   #2909
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Prodays and combine workouts should be the smallest factor in picking players IMO. The only thing they are good for is measurements.
...and Jaworski doing a 180 on his opinion.
Old 03-27-2014   #2910
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can see them being useful for nobodies from small schools that want to get noticed.
Old 03-27-2014   #2911
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Well, it wasn't revealed until later in the season that he was dealing with both an injured thumb on his throwing hand as well as an injured shoulder during those two games, so those would be the primary reasons I give a bit more of an excuse to his poor showing there. But yes, I agree. Let the tape tell the story, and all one needs to do is go watch the Bama games from both 2012 and 2013 to see all the tape they need to see.

What today showed me is that Manziel is willing to adapt. He could have thrown out of the shotgun, kept relying on his athleticism, worn shorts and a t-shirt, and numerous other things he did to step up his game and prove himself. He did everything a guy could possibly do to prove his doubters wrong.

The ONLY reason Manziel is not the consensus #1 pick is because he is 5'11-6'0. If the guy was 6'3, he'd be the first pick without question. He came out today though and showed the entire football world that he could compete with the best, is willing to work hard to improve, and is coachable.

I believed in Manziel before. I wasn't sure I believed in him enough to pick him #1. Top 10 before? Yes. Today simply sealed #1 for me.
I had been on the fence prior to today. That's changed now - I'd prefer Manziel over either of the other two , as he has a better arm than either and he just makes plays.

What sealed the deal for me wasn't what he did on the field , but what he said off it , about being a professional , being the best he can be and being 100% dedicated in that endeavor.

I've got them like this -

Manziel
Bortles
Bridgewater

I would have no problem with taking Manziel #1 overall .... Sure there is bust potential , but the reward far outweighs the risk. You don't often find playmakers like Manziel at the QB position.

It wasn't so much what he did on the field that

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 03-27-2014   #2912
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Bill Polian's Manziel concerns...

Quote:
1. He's not going to get appreciably taller,

2. His release point is 3/4s so he won't be releasing it like he's 6'1 1/2" or 6'2"... and defenses will play to that with mush rush and getting their hands up so you're going to have to create a firm front 3 (G-C-G), no inside rush.

3. He's a runner, he has magic outside of the pocket and that will translate into injury so you'd better plan for that because it'll happen
ESPN
Positives from Polian...

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
Quote:
Former Bills/Colts GM Bill Polian on @JManziel2 : "The thing that you didn't see today was the magic and he has magic, there's no two ways about it"

Fomer Bills/Colts GM Bill Polian on @JManziel2: "His arm is better in my opinion than the other two quarterbacks[Bortles, Bridgewater] that everybody's talking about"

Former Bills/Colts GM Bill Polian on @JManziel2: "(If ) youu had heard whispers that he didn't have arm strength....he can make every throw."
Aaron Rodgers ‏@AaronRodgers12
Quote:
2 of the 3 guys commenting on this workout right now have opinions that shouldn't be taken very seriously.
Old 03-27-2014   #2913
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

For the Dallas vs Houston comments, bring your butts to San Antonio in Texans gear... I'm confronted at least once a week here by rabid ********* Sowboy fans. I agree, those fans in Dallas, not a peep, but those aren't the ones we Houstonian's detest, it's those perps that live IN Houston and San Antonio that come across as the true douches of the world. Now, forgive me I'm studying for my "rouge scholarship" at this time, and don't have time to deal with you genius's
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
Old 03-27-2014   #2914
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...-Workouts.html

Quote:
Evaluating players is no science. You can look for the same things from player to player, but no two players are alike. Each prospect possesses certain strengths and weaknesses. The good evaluators are able to discern those and determine if he’ll be able to play over his shortcomings. That’s the bottom line for scouts: Who can play, who can’t play and why.

The teams that do the best jobs of this will find good players during the later rounds. The league is full of later round picks and college free agents who not only made teams, but started and excelled as one of their team’s better players.

Most of these players didn’t have great workouts, but they had good tape and the one thing that no stop watch can measure: A warrior’s heart.

Round Dan
Old 03-27-2014   #2915
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Positives from Polian...

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

Aaron Rodgers ‏@AaronRodgers12
Can someone elaborate on what exactly Aaron is referring to?
Old 03-27-2014   #2916
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Well my mind is made up now! We need to draft Johnny Bortleswater. Perfect QB.
Old 03-27-2014   #2917
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
Can someone elaborate on what exactly Aaron is referring to?
Todd McShay and somebody else on ESPN or NFLN during Manziel's Johnny Day.
Old 03-27-2014   #2918
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Todd McShay and somebody else on ESPN or NFLN during Manziel's Johnny Day.
Oh yeah? They were discrediting JFF?
Old 03-27-2014   #2919
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Matt Hasselback: "Manziel's inside the pocket film is that of a 6th or 7th rounder."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
Oh yeah? They were discrediting JFF?
McShay was talking about footwork trying to appear more knowledgeable than he actually is.

Not good or bad, just 2014 McShay NFL expert Scout.
Old 03-27-2014   #2920
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Matt Hasselback: "Manziel's inside the pocket film is that of a 6th or 7th rounder."
Matt just needs to look in the mirror to see what a 6th rounder looks like.

I'm just sayin...
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read