Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-27-2014   #1061
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200241 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
That's not true at all. Ball placement, for one thing, is a huge deal for pitchers.
So Carlos Rodon or the kid from Shepard are being scouted for their ball placement ? I'm thinking the kid from Shepard is being looked at for hitting 102 on the radar .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1062
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61508 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Is Bortles David Carr ?
I knew before you answered you wouldn't answer the question and would go silly answer instead.

No Bortles is not Carr. BUYER BEWARE of any QB with more than 600 attempts per season. Carr has shown abilities to to deliever Game Winning Drives.
Old 03-27-2014   #1063
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61508 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
That's not true at all. Ball placement, for one thing, is a huge deal for pitchers.
Right! I would take Greg Maddox all day long.
Old 03-27-2014   #1064
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200241 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I knew before you answered you wouldn't answer the question and would go silly answer instead.

No Bortles is not Carr. BUYER BEWARE of any QB with more than 600 attempts per season. Carr has shown abilities to to deliever Game Winning Drives.
Not silly because you don't know what any of these guys are going to do . You can't say Clowney is Aundrey Bruce and then say Bortles can't be Carr . Bortles season last year is nowhere near Carr's last year at Fresno . Bortles is not a better prospect than Carr coming out .

Round Dan
Old 03-27-2014   #1065
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Is Bortles David Carr ?
The comparison to Aundray Bruce is a serious question. If you can't answer the question or you don't know, just say I don't know.
Old 03-27-2014   #1066
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not silly because you don't know what any of these guys are going to do . You can't say Clowney is Aundrey Bruce and then say Bortles can't be Carr . Bortles season last year is nowhere near Carr's last year at Fresno . Bortles is not a better prospect than Carr coming out .
Bortles is a 2 year starter and Carr a 3 yr starter. Bortles played a higher level and was able to do more. Over 70% of Carr's passes were of the dink and dunk variety with a preset predetermined read and WR that took under 3 sec to execute. When the chips were on the line and Fresno had to deviate from the game plan Carr had a high degree of difficulty of delivering a win. Bortles is able to do what Carr couldn't and Bortles was able to deliver in every situation making Blake a much better prospect than Carr.

So your answer to Aundray Bruce is you don't know. I'm OK with that.
Old 03-27-2014   #1067
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102657 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I can't make a decision on such a small sample of information. I don't really care what his 40 is as long as it confirms his speed in pads, and sacks aren't the only measure of football ability. I'd have to see his tape.
Quote:
He has a 30 inch vertical , 21 reps and a 9.5 Broad jump to go along with that 19 sacks and 5 flat forty .
And? These are just numbers. Refer to bolded above.

Quote:
That's not the point . The point is are you going to settle for a lesser prospect or are you betting on the best prospect . There is no guarantee with any of them so go big or go home at #1 .

The safest pick , IMO , is Matthews because he can play somewhere on the OL .
Lesser prospect is determined by what exactly? Ability to play football? Or workout numbers in a controlled environment with no pads on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
How the flying squirrel is actual play not part of how good a prospect someone is?
You got me. This kind of logic goes straight over my head.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1068
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Bortles is a 2 year starter and Carr a 3 yr starter. Bortles played a higher level and was able to do more. Over 70% of Carr's passes were of the dink and dunk variety with a preset predetermined read and WR that took under 3 sec to execute. When the chips were on the line and Fresno had to deviate from the game plan Carr had a high degree of difficulty of delivering a win. Bortles is able to do what Carr couldn't and Bortles was able to deliver in every situation making Blake a much better prospect than Carr.

So your answer to Aundray Bruce is you don't know. I'm OK with that.
Bruce is nowhere near the prospect Clowney is so maybe Clowney ends up like Neil Smith .

Bortles hasn't played the teams JF has and the only thing Bortles has on him is size . Carr was only a two year starter as a fifth year senior . Kinda out of the blue like Bortles .

Round Dan
Old 03-27-2014   #1069
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
And? These are just numbers. Refer to bolded above.

Lesser prospect is determined by what exactly? Ability to play football? Or workout numbers in a controlled environment with no pads on?

You got me. This kind of logic goes straight over my head.
This is all a bet on information gathered and with that , I think the two best prospects , that have the most ability , are Clowney and Robinson . If you don't like them bet on somebody else .

Round Dan
Old 03-27-2014   #1070
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

98 mph flying squirrels...

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1071
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
98 mph flying squirrels...
They have big nuts .

Round Dan
Old 03-27-2014   #1072
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102657 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is all a bet on information gathered and with that , I think the two best prospects , that have the most ability , are Clowney and Robinson . If you don't like them bet on somebody else .
That's fine. But that has nothing to do with the hypothetical situation you were throwing at me on the last page.
Old 03-27-2014   #1073
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
That's fine. But that has nothing to do with the hypothetical situation you were throwing at me on the last page.
I think talent based vs performance based has more to do with the #1 overall pick . That may be a mistake but most folks are looking for a physical stud who has the ability to dominate . The Texans tried it with Mario at #1 and found it with Watt at #11 .

Round Dan
Old 03-27-2014   #1074
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think talent based vs performance based has more to do with the #1 overall pick . That may be a mistake but most folks are looking for a physical stud who has the ability to dominate . The Texans tried it with Mario at #1 and found it with Watt at #11 .
Mario produced on the field. No way he gets taken #1 with 3 sacks his last season and he was every bit the physical freak as Clowney.
Old 03-27-2014   #1075
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
When you apply a different standard to one pick but not others you get yourself into trouble. This isn't even really a discussion about Clowney for me.

If you draft based on football ability for all other picks why would you ignore that and base your criteria for the most important pick solely on athleticism?

Workout numbers don't tell me squat. I'm not drafting guys to compete in the crossfit games. I'm drafting football players. So the tape of them playing football is what I will use to make my selection.

If that means that every once in a while a stud athlete sneaks past me then fine. The teams that covet athleticism over all else are usually the teams that are consistently picking at the top.
Old 03-27-2014   #1076
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Bruce is nowhere near the prospect Clowney is so maybe Clowney ends up like Neil Smith .

Bortles hasn't played the teams JF has and the only thing Bortles has on him is size . Carr was only a two year starter as a fifth year senior . Kinda out of the blue like Bortles .
Aundray Bruce was close to being identical in size to Clowney but Bruce had more sacks than Clowney the year he was drafted. The #1 pick in the draft and was the heir apparent and the next Lawrence Taylor.

You got some bad info on Derek Carr Chief, he was in fact a 3 year starter.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...080/derek-carr
Old 03-27-2014   #1077
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
When you apply a different standard to one pick but not others you get yourself into trouble. This isn't even really a discussion about Clowney for me.

If you draft based on football ability for all other picks why would you ignore that and base your criteria for the most important pick solely on athleticism?

Workout numbers don't tell me squat. I'm not drafting guys to compete in the crossfit games. I'm drafting football players. So the tape of them playing football is what I will use to make my selection.

If that means that every once in a while a stud athlete sneaks past me then fine. The teams that covet athleticism over all else are usually the teams that are consistently picking at the top.
I don't watch film , maybe a youtube video , but for the most part I just guess based on the information I read and watching games . Having said that , I don't get paid to scout but I do ok when I do the TT mocks . Luck plays a huge factor in the NFL or any draft .

Round Dan
Old 03-27-2014   #1078
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Aundray Bruce was close to being identical in size to Clowney but Bruce had more sacks than Clowney the year he was drafted. The #1 pick in the draft and was the heir apparent and the next Lawrence Taylor.

You got some bad info on Derek Carr Chief, he was in fact a 3 year starter.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...080/derek-carr
6'4 246 vs 6'6 266 isn't close .

I'm not talking about Derek I'm talking David .

Round Dan
Old 03-27-2014   #1079
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't watch film , maybe a youtube video , but for the most part I just guess based on the information I read and watching games . Having said that , I don't get paid to scout but I do ok when I do the TT mocks . Luck plays a huge factor in the NFL or any draft .
Then why is it always the same franchises that are getting "lucky"? Because they know what to look for.

Luck is largely an excuse. There are times when something unforeseen happens. A player who's never been injured suffers an injury that alters their career, or a tragic accident happens off the field. But for the most part, whether a prospect pans out or not has very little to do with luck.
Old 03-27-2014   #1080
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Then why is it always the same franchises that are getting "lucky"? Because they know what to look for.

Luck is largely an excuse. There are times when something unforeseen happens. A player who's never been injured suffers an injury that alters their career, or a tragic accident happens off the field. But for the most part, whether a prospect pans out or not has very little to do with luck.
Teams are much luckier when they get their cornerstone player ... a QB . Teams that reach on a QB are unlucky .

Round Dan

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read