Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-26-2014   #1041
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 28464 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
If we pick Bortles #1, I'll shoot myself!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Well.

Crap.

If you put it that way, I guess I have to root for Bortles now.
Old 03-26-2014   #1042
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

5 for 5; Blake Bortles going 1.1 in 5 different mocks:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft
Old 03-26-2014   #1043
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
If you draft Clowney and he's a bust at least you went big . If you draft Bortles on the other hand , people are gonna say " who didn't see that coming " .
You don't think they will say that about Clowney if he is a bust? I can guarantee you that a lot of people will. A lot of people are already predicting that.

And who cares what people say any way? You draft the guy that you feel has the highest % chance at being an impact player on your team. QB is the most important position right now though.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014   #1044
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
5 for 5; Blake Bortles going 1.1 in 5 different mocks:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft
Those guys who post the mocks are about as independent as sheep.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1045
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You don't think they will say that about Clowney if he is a bust? I can guarantee you that a lot of people will. A lot of people are already predicting that.

And who cares what people say any way? You draft the guy that you feel has the highest % chance at being an impact player on your team. QB is the most important position right now though.
4.53 at 270 lbs is not a reach because his ceiling is so high . Clowney ranked 2nd among LBs in his cimbine performance . He was easily the highest DL so no he's not a reach because he has elite talent .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1046
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you draft Clowney and he's a bust at least you went big . If you draft Bortles on the other hand , people are gonna say " who didn't see that coming " .
Meh, I can see it with most of the top picks.

Clowney - Who didn't see his motor wasn't running anymore?

Bortles - Who didn't see he had so little experience?

Manziel - Who didn't see he ran a gimmicky offense?

Bridgewater - Who didn't see he rarely faced great competition?
Old 03-27-2014   #1047
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
4.53 at 270 lbs is not a reach because his ceiling is so high .
Quote:
Clowney ranked 2nd among LBs in his cimbine performance .
Quote:
He was easily the highest DL so no he's not a reach because he has elite talent .
I broke each of these sentences up so we can read them independently.

Statements like this bother me. Not one mention of on field performance.

I like Clowney (he's #1 on my draft board as a 43 DE, not so much as a 34 OLB), but projecting based entirely on athleticism is a recipe for failure.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1048
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
4.53 at 270 lbs is not a reach because his ceiling is so high . Clowney ranked 2nd among LBs in his cimbine performance . He was easily the highest DL so no he's not a reach because he has elite talent .
he kinda reminds me of super prospect and superfreak athlete, Aundray Bruce. Since you are an old timer...I don't have to tell you what a disaster that was.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1049
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I broke each of these sentences up so we can read them independently.

Statements like this bother me. Not one mention of on field performance.

I like Clowney (he's #1 on my draft board as a 43 DE, not so much as a 34 OLB), but projecting based entirely on athleticism is a recipe for failure.
Would you draft a guy with 19 sacks this year who ran a 5.0 forty #1 overall ?

Round Dan
Old 03-27-2014   #1050
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would you draft a guy with 19 sacks this year who ran a 5.0 forty #1 overall ?
I can't make a decision on such a small sample of information. I don't really care what his 40 is as long as it confirms his speed in pads, and sacks aren't the only measure of football ability. I'd have to see his tape.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1051
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I can't make a decision on such a small sample of information. I don't really care what his 40 is as long as it confirms his speed in pads, and sacks aren't the only measure of football ability. I'd have to see his tape.
He has a 30 inch vertical , 21 reps and a 9.5 Broad jump to go along with that 19 sacks and 5 flat forty .

Round Dan
Old 03-27-2014   #1052
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He has a 30 inch vertical , 21 reps and a 9.5 Broad jump to go along with that 19 sacks and 5 flat forty .
Hard to make a decision just based on numbers.

For instance, Mercilus had the measurables and production, but when I put on that college film I didn't see a player that I'd have drafted.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1053
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
Hard to make a decision just based on numbers.

For instance, Mercilus had the measurables and production, but when I put on that college film I didn't see a player that I'd have drafted.
He had one good year , his last . He's not as big or as fast as Clowney .

Round Dan
Old 03-27-2014   #1054
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Which translated to not much on the field. And the explanation for that is?
Old 03-27-2014   #1055
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Which translated to not much on the field. And the explanation for that is?
That's not the point . The point is are you going to settle for a lesser prospect or are you betting on the best prospect . There is no guarantee with any of them so go big or go home at #1 .

The safest pick , IMO , is Matthews because he can play somewhere on the OL .

Round Dan
Old 03-27-2014   #1056
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's not the point , the point is are you going to settle for a lesser prospect or are you betting on the best prospect . There is no guarantee with any of them so go big or go home at #1 .
Is Clowney, Aundray Bruce?
Old 03-27-2014   #1057
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's not the point , the point is are you going to settle for a lesser prospect or are you betting on the best prospect . There is no guarantee with any of them so go big or go home at #1 .
How the flying squirrel is actual play not part of how good a prospect someone is?
Old 03-27-2014   #1058
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Is Clowney, Aundray Bruce?
Is Bortles David Carr ?

Round Dan
Old 03-27-2014   #1059
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
How the flying squirrel is actual play not part of how good a prospect someone is?
A guy that throw 98 MPH but is 3-11 for the season is a better prospect than a guy who throws 83 but is 11-3 . Why ... you can't teach 98 MPH .

Round Dan
Old 03-27-2014   #1060
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A guy that throw 98 MPH but is 3-11 for the season is a better prospect than a guy who throws 83 but is 11-3 . Why ... you can't teach 98 MPH .
That's not true at all. Ball placement, for one thing, is a huge deal for pitchers.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read