Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2014   #181
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we rebuilding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I agree and so do quite a few draftniks over in the college board. Expect to hear a name like Dri Archer called in the 5th, possibly even the 4th round.
I think he'll be gone by the 5th round and we have too many holes to use a 3rd or 4th round pick on a RB. A sleeper I like is Brendan Bigelow from Cal. Could be had in the 6th round.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #182
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Cornerback that 3rd guy is basically a starter ... Most teams are in nickel & dime packages greater than half the time. That 3rd spot is most definitely a hole as there is nothing on the roster beyond KJax and JJo.
I still like Brandon Harris as our nickel. I know it's not popular here (imagine that) but I think the kid's got game & should have been starting ahead of McCain... actually never should have signed McCain to a second contract.

But we'll see.

Quote:
It aint out of the question .... but there are a whole lotta if's & buts.

I'm preparing myself for a sub .500 season .... If they accomplish anything better .... I'll be satisfied.
To each his own. Most of the teams we'll face are bad teams, Not teams having a bad year, like Baltimore & Pittsburgh.... but bad teams; Buffalo, Cleveland, Dallas... I'm expecting .500 or better & will be very disappointed if we're not.

I'm not going to understand how Buffalo will beat us, or Cleveland, or Schaub & the Raiders. I won't take it well if Dallas or Jacksonville beat us. I expect to be competitive with the Giants, Eagles, & 'Skins. I can't imagine the Titans sweeping us & I think we should have a chance to beat Cincinnati.

If not, then Bill O'Brien was not the right choice... at least that's the way I see it.
Old 03-21-2014   #183
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I still like Brandon Harris as our nickel. I know it's not popular here (imagine that) but I think the kid's got game & should have been starting ahead of McCain... actually never should have signed McCain to a second contract.
I thought Harris should have been starting over McCain as well. A fresh set of eyes may agree...or we may both be wrong.
Old 03-21-2014   #184
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see where expecting anywhere between 7 to 9 wins this season is a stretch.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #185
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 9543 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

OB will be on NFL game day morning on Monday. Lets see what he has to say.

Monday @NFL_AM interviews with Jim Harbaugh, Rex Ryan, Chuck Pagano, Pete Carroll, Bill O'Brien and more #GoodStuff
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #186
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i havent read most of the thread so forgive me if i missed a crucial argument. i've also had a whiskey or few so this might ramble a bit.

i don't think we're rebuilding at all. we frankly have way too much talent to call it a rebuild. last year we had the worst record in football, and it took some serious fail to be worse than the "i bet they go winless" jaguars. i blame 90% of it on ed reed and to an extent bob mcnair, because there had never been a hint of locker room dissent until the moment reed arrived. kubiak caught a lot of hell in his time here, much of it deserved, but there was never a question of the players being together on the same page and giving 100% - something changed in 2013 and call me crazy but i can point to one "leader" with the label of cancer that happened (with too much support from the top). schaub and andre arguing, rookies mouthing off and screwing up, an offensive line that crapped it's pants and more ... these are things that kubiak had firmly in line until his authority was given away.

regardless, we have talent all over the place. we had 8 probowlers in 2012, have all-pros at key positions, and for what it's worth we have arguably the single best player in the game on our team. watt, cushing, jackson, joseph, and manning are great to spectacular players. brown, myers, foster and andre are top of their positions. hopkins and brooks are young and climbing fast.

we have some elite talent, trouble is we have a gigantic dropoff from that talent to the next tier. duane brown is an all-pro, derrick newton should be struggling to make a roster. brian cushing is one of the greats (when he's on the field) and we put random minimum salaries next to him. watt and ninja - with nobody at nose or outside (despite our draft efforts). kareem and joseph with no one behind them. schaub was really good but couldnt maintain after injury, while yates hadnt progressed, and his "heir" (maybe) needed another year of seasoning. the dropoff from probowlers to nobodies was too dramatic to hold for long with the injuries, and didnt stand a chance when the locker room imploded.

so to that i wouldn't call us rebuilding at all. i'd say we're correcting. there are loyalty issues (keo, newton, etc) that need to be fixed by someone without an ego regarding these should-be fringe players. there are better potentials on the roster that we havent really seen yet such as quess, griffin, t williams and even mercilus as a pure pass rusher. fill the major holes, give the head coach the iron fist he needs (which it appears o'brien has), and we're back to 2012 where we comfortably make the dance and hope for the best.

Last edited by Scooter; 03-24-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #187
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post

regardless, we have talent all over the place. we had 8 probowlers in 2012, have all-pros at key positions, and for what it's worth we have arguably the single best player in the game on our team. watt, cushing, jackson, joseph, and manning are great to spectacular players. brown, myers, foster and andre are top of their positions. hopkins and brooks are young and climbing fast.
Agreed. We've got our "play maker" starters. The holes we have at starter positions don't need to be pro bowlers or All-Pros. Jared Crick would be a perfect DE in a 2 gap 3-4. He's probably not going to make a lot of plays... but he doesn't have to.

We need a guy next to Cushing, we want him to be a bad-ass, because we're worried about Cushing's health. But we only need someone who can bring what Sharpton did when he was healthy.

We need a play maker at OLB, I'm not even going to sugar coat that one. We need a starting RT (may already be on the team). We need a play maker at TE (may already be on the team).

We need a starting QB. On that point alone, I can understand the "rebuilding" label. But like you, I don't think it's a rebuild.
Old 03-24-2014   #188
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We need a starting QB. On that point alone, I can understand the "rebuilding" label. But like you, I don't think it's a rebuild.
Its not a total rebuild but with so many needs up and down the roster and questions about the health of guy's we expect to start (Foster & Cushing) it sure seems like a rebuild to me.

A couple people mentioned in the other thread (rank team needs) that we need ~20 players , be they starters or depth. I tend to agree with that assessment. That's ~40% of the roster.

Because the Texans have "star power" at multiple positions I don't believe they need to land more of the same , what they need is guys who fit their system that are average to better than average NFL players. They need to replace guys like Derek Newton who is below average to .... bad.

You look at the defensive line and realize they have Watt , Crick & Powe .... and that's it. One of those is a proven starter , the other two backups.

At ILB we have Cushing coming off injury and .... Nodda.

OLB Reed and Mercilus are capable but behind them is very questionable talent , aren't they all UDFA's ?? (Tuggle & I forget the other guys name).

At Corner KJax played very well last season , JJo was hot and cold , maybe it was the nagging injuries , maybe it wasn't. McCain is a goner and I'm not sold on Harris.

Safety is the only position on the entire defense that I feel confident about going into the season. Everywhere else , they can stand to add (Or must add) talent. The offense is much the same , with the exception being center and possibly TE.

Sure , they have star players up and down the roster but the holes between them are .... as wide as the distance between the stars in the sky.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #189
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
They need to replace guys like Derek Newton who is below average to .... bad.
Really baffles me that he is still on the team. I know it's a new staff & everything..... but damn...

Old 03-24-2014   #190
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really baffles me that he is still on the team. I know it's a new staff & everything..... but damn...

Why cut him? - he isn't getting paid and they are in the process of doubling the size of the team, not worrying about roster spots.
Old 03-24-2014   #191
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Why cut him? - he isn't getting paid and they are in the process of doubling the size of the team, not worrying about roster spots.
Just out of spite, to salve my emotions.
Old 03-24-2014   #192
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123160 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I don't see where expecting anywhere between 7 to 9 wins this season is a stretch.
I would be happy with nine wins. That would validate the idea that this squad wasn't really so bad, just had bad coaching and terrible overall play.

9 wins would make me very hopeful for next season.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #193
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123160 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I think he'll be gone by the 5th round and we have too many holes to use a 3rd or 4th round pick on a RB. A sleeper I like is Brendan Bigelow from Cal. Could be had in the 6th round.
While I agree, you never know. O'Brien might be enamored with one prospect or another As for Bigelow, I'll have to do some research.

Btw I do think that when we get our Danny Woodhead type back, it'll be in the later rounds, probably a sleeper like you mentioned. I'm just a huge proponent of Archer. He reminds me of Tavon Austin and, because you only invest a 4th or 5th round pick instead of a 1st rounder, has a much better cost to value ratio.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #194
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

So to summarize...

Yes, we are rebuilding
Old 03-26-2014   #195
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I would be happy with nine wins. That would validate the idea that this squad wasn't really so bad, just had bad coaching and terrible overall play.

9 wins would make me very hopeful for next season.
When you examine the overall roster .... and realize just how many holes this team has , do you get the feeling that .... the wrong guy was fired ?!

I mean , we're looking at roughly a dozen positions of need across the roster .... out of 22 possible positions. The majority of those aren't just depth , but starter caliber needs.
Roster building & cap management are the realm of the GM , I think after careful observation , a dozen holes and a team in cap hell , its clear to see that Smith hasn't done his job very well.

Right now , I expect somewhere between 5-7 W's .... tho that number is subject to change as critical positions are addressed with quality players.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the QB ... for now. How high can your expectations be ?!

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014   #196
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Ryan Fitzpatrick is the QB ... for now. How high can your expectations be ?!
With a career record of 27 and 49, 5.7 wins would be par.
Old 03-26-2014   #197
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
With a career record of 27 and 49, 5.7 wins would be par.
I'd take 5-11/6-10 if plans for a long term plan appeared along the way. Quick turnarounds rarely last. Let's build this thing correctly from the ground up and set this franchise up for some long term success.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014   #198
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'd take 5-11/6-10 if plans for a long term plan appeared along the way. Quick turnarounds rarely last. Let's build this thing correctly from the ground up and set this franchise up for some long term success.
Yeah. Slow and steady wins the race. I mean, look how well we've been doing that since 2002. Look how long our last winning "era" lasted. WoooHooo!

The Texans need to pursue winning like their lives depended on it and with an obsession bordering on unhealthy. I know that's not going to happen but this slow building process crap is just that. Crap. Any process that takes more than three years to start producing wins on a better than .500 level is inadequate in todays game, in my opinion. It can be done in two years and it happens often enough that I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for that.
Old 03-26-2014   #199
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
That's what I always felt but not any longer. I'm leaning to the opposite way now. If O'Brien doesn't do great in 2-3 years, can him and start over. If we draft a QB and he ends up looking more like Bradford than Luck...draft another one. My patience ran out with Capers/Carr & Kubiak/Schaub. Close just doesn't cut it for me anymore.
Old 03-26-2014   #200
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The Texans need to pursue winning like their lives depended on it and with an obsession bordering on unhealthy. I know that's not going to happen but this slow building process crap is just that. Crap. Any process that takes more than three years to start producing wins on a better than .500 level is inadequate in todays game, in my opinion. It can be done in two years and it happens often enough that I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for that.
I agree. We're at a cross roads. If we disassemble this team, then have to forgo winning until we have the team OB wants, I think it may be a mistake. Winning is a habit & losing is a bad habit.

We took our time & rooted all the losers out of Houston, need to add another crop of winners & strengthen what winning culture we do have, before Andre (bless his soul) is only showing up for a paycheck, or Arian, or Duane, or Jared Crick, etc...

We're playing the Raiders, the Jags, the Titans, the Bills, the Browns, the Redskins, & the Cowboys... we don't need to be title contenders, I'm not suggesting we have to win the division, but we've got an opportunity to keep this thing going in the right direction.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read