Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2014   #1281
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Heard it all on the radio earlier...Lots of good stuff in there...

Doesn't really give much away, but lots of good info.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1282
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I truly hope that every poster in this thread takes the time to read or listen to this. Addresses a ton of things from the draft process, the number 1 pick, multiple actual prospects, use of JJ Watt, defensive philosphy. Most complete conversation I have seen from him since joining the Texans.
We could open a new topic: "O'Brien in depth press conference at owner's meetings" or something similar...

no rights issues with public presser, so we could post the full Q&A grouped in posts by topic?

Easily to most introspective view we have on our new HC. Your call.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1283
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Manziel won't do a private workout for Texans.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1284
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
If this is true JM wont be a Texan.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1285
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If this is true JM wont be a Texan.
ORLANDO At this point, it appears Johnny Manziel will not work out for the Houston Texans following his Thursday pro day at Texas A&M.

That could prove an interesting turn -- and potentially be a turnoff to the Texans considering how much first-year coach Bill O'Brien prizes working out quarterbacks individually.

Asked if Manziel would work out for the Texans afterward, O'Brien said during Tuesday's AFC coaches' breakfast, "I don't think so. He's got his Johnny Day.''

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...D=cnxqebpo5nlq
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1286
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's a dumbazz if he doesn't. Or maybe he's being smart.

Can you imagine the pressure he'd have on him if the Texans drafted him? The Keenum Kraze on steroids, amphetamines and Red Bull at the same time.

Maybe he, or his team, recognizes that and would actually prefer a slightly less stressfull environment. Cleveland and Jax are used to having top 10 QB picks fall on their face.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1287
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
We could open a new topic: "O'Brien in depth press conference at owner's meetings" or something similar...

no rights issues with public presser, so we could post the full Q&A grouped in posts by topic?

How did you get "in depth" out of that? That was a whole bunch of everything we've heard already. I didn't get anything new out of that at all.

"Everybody has good and bad points. We're in the process. These guys are going to compete in camp. Tough. Smart. Adaptable." Same old same old to me.
Old 03-25-2014   #1288
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
He's a dumbazz if he doesn't. Or maybe he's being smart.
I interpreted it differently. I got the impression that it wasn't F'knFootball's call.

I took it as he didn't get an invite.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1289
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I interpreted it differently. I got the impression that it wasn't F'knFootball's call.

I took it as he didn't get an invite.
Really? That would be really odd.

JF has more to lose that just about any other QB, regardless of hwere you rank him.

He could be #1 or #101. JF's decision to not do personal work outs for the Texans only increase that thought. OB wil NOT be upstaged by his QB.
Old 03-25-2014   #1290
drs23 
Veteran

Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

JF has more to lose that just about any other QB, regardless of hwere you rank him.

He could be #1 or #101. JF's decision to not do personal work outs for the Texans only increase that thought. OB wil NOT be upstaged by his QB.
My point is: How do you know it was F'kn Football's call?

Still sounds to me like he didn't get an invitation.

OTOH, that's been the Texans' MO.

WTF really knows?

Old 03-25-2014   #1291
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
My point is: How do you know it was F'kn Football's call?

Still sounds to me like he didn't get an invitation.

OTOH, that's been the Texans' MO.

WTF really knows?
I believe the Texans are having private workouts with Bortles and TB.

Also, why would the Texans be turned off if they didn't ask?

If it is correct they are having private workouts with the other two and didn't ask Manziel I wouldn't think that bodes well for him anyway.
Old 03-25-2014   #1292
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I believe the Texans are having private workouts with Bortles and TB.

Also, why would the Texans be turned off if they didn't ask?

If it is correct they are having private workouts with the other two and didn't ask Manziel I wouldn't think that bodes well for him anyway.
That was the basis of my "Texans' MO" statement. Sorry if it was not portrayed succinctly.

Old 03-25-2014   #1293
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Manziel doesn't want to play for the texans? Or did he get wind he's not near the too of our list? Or just out of touch with reality?
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1294
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Others may not agree, but I strongly feel that OB is not one to take kindly to the "johnny football" aura...........and, despite Manziel stating that he is leaving "johnny football" behind...........he is still actively pursuing the name's copyright. At least Tebow and Kaepernick waited until they got into the NFL and produced "something." Manziel will come into the league by his own choosing with that monicker.........and will be sooner than later carried off the field on a cart, covered by a hand-made shroud that carries his image captioned with big letters spelling out "J-O-H-N-N-Y F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L L-I-E-S H-E-R-E." Of course, JMHO.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1295
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ORLANDO At this point, it appears Johnny Manziel will not work out for the Houston Texans following his Thursday pro day at Texas A&M.

That could prove an interesting turn -- and potentially be a turnoff to the Texans considering how much first-year coach Bill O'Brien prizes working out quarterbacks individually.

Asked if Manziel would work out for the Texans afterward, O'Brien said during Tuesday's AFC coaches' breakfast, "I don't think so. He's got his Johnny Day.''

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...D=cnxqebpo5nlq
Johnny Day ? Clearly a shot of sarcasm by O'brien. That's the worst kind of timing for Manziel to get on OB's shix-list right now.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1296
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Johnny Day ? Clearly a shot of sarcasm by O'brien. That's the worst kind of timing for Manziel to get on OB's shix-list right now.
That's what I pulled out of it too. "Johhny Day", tells me a lot of how O'Brien feels about it.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1297
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

since no of the other mods wanted to open one while I was not around so much, I think we just leave it here.
Old 03-25-2014   #1298
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29231 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
That's what I pulled out of it too. "Johhny Day", tells me a lot of how O'Brien feels about it.

Yep.

Johnny Day translates into: f--k that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1299
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
Sounded like OB snark to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
since no of the other mods wanted to open one while I was not around so much, I think we just leave it here.
I have no problem with it either way.
Old 03-25-2014   #1300
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
...[JF] is still actively pursuing the name's copyright...
Copyright = original work of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression (i.e., literature, art, music). It's pretty straightforward and vests automatically, no lawyer required. There can be no copyright in "Johnny Football" because it is not an "original work of authorship."

Trademark= identifier of the source of goods (i.e., word, phrase, symbol, design). This is much more nuanced than copyright.

The story of the "Johnny Football" trademark is fairly interesting:
And his trying to control the "Johnny Football" trademark does not make him some greedy guy who puts fame over football; it's just the smart thing to do.

Oh, but I'm not saying he ISN'T an obnoxious fame-monger whose game won't translate to the NFL. Hope the Texans don't touch him with a 10-foot pole.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read