Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2014   #181
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O達rien Explains What Type Of Quarterback He Wants

Breakfast McNuggets with O'Brien
Quote:
-- O'Brien, general manager Rick Smith and quarterbacks coach George Godsey will all be at Johnny Manziel's Pro Day on Thursday. This is separate from Texas A&M's Pro Day, one O'Brien called his "Johnny Day." While O'Brien likes having private workouts with quarterback prospects, when I asked if he has one with Manziel he said he doesn't think so.

-- Despite all the talk about what a bad Pro Day Teddy Bridgewater had, O'Brien thought he had "a decent day." He liked seeing the work Bridgewater had done to improve footwork and mechanics.

-- He'll meet several times with various prospects and what he's looking for from meeting to meeting is improvement. Did the guy learn something in the time between?

-- The plan right now is to take backup quarterbacks Case Keenum and T.J. Yates to training camp.

-- He values the ability to think quickly in a quarterback. O'Brien will ask for a lot of pre-snap decision-making.

-- Derek Carr's brother will have no impact on the Texans' evaluation of Derek Carr. "When we're thinking about a player, we're thinking about that individual player." The expansion Texans selected David Carr with the top overall pick of the 2002 draft and lasted five seasons before being waived.
Nick Mathews ‏@Nick_Mathews
Quote:
“It’s very difficult to play a quarterback right away,” O’Brien said. “Expecting a rookie to go in and play right away against, say, a Rex Ryan defense, is very, very difficult. At the same time, you better be ready to do it because you never know what’s going to happen."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #182
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I think OB is going to be on SR 610 on Texans all access with Mark Vandameer around 12 if anyone wants to listen...
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #183
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans O達rien: 選t痴 very difficult to play a quarterback right away
Quote:
展e池e going to bring some of these guys to Houston to spend a day with them, O達rien said about the quarterbacks and other prospects to be the top pick. 典here are other quarterbacks in the draft.

釘eing a quarterback coach, it痴 important to note there are a lot of quarterbacks who are winners and have played well. My opinion is that I see strengths and weaknesses with every one of these guys. I don稚 see one, two or three guys who are light years ahead of the rest.

O達rien cautions about the probability of a rookie quarterback starting from Day One, no matter where he痴 drafted.

的t痴 very difficult to play a quarterback right away, O達rien said. 摘xpecting a rookie to go in and play right away against, say, a Rex Ryan (New York Jets) defense, is very, very difficult. At the same time, you better be ready to do it because you never know what痴 going to happen.

展hat we池e trying to do is to set up a very competitive roster at every position. Through the spring and into camp at every position we want a very competitive roster. Let these guys win their positions on the field. If a guy痴 got to play as a rookie, then that痴 what we値l do.
Old 03-25-2014   #184
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
-- Despite all the talk about what a bad Pro Day Teddy Bridgewater had, O'Brien thought he had "a decent day." He liked seeing the work Bridgewater had done to improve footwork and mechanics.

-- He values the ability to think quickly in a quarterback. O'Brien will ask for a lot of pre-snap decision-making.
To me, this just tells me that O'Brien likes Bridgewater (this is all constituting that I think O'Brien is telling the truth, which shouldn't be assumed during this part of the draft process).
Old 03-25-2014   #185
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

SI: The can't-miss-QB in this year's draft? Bill O'Brien doesn't see one
Quote:
"I don't think it'll come to me in a dream,'' quipped O'Brien, holding court at the AFC head coaches media breakfast on Day 3 of the league's annual meeting. "It might come to me in a nightmare. ... I don't think it's an easy decision. But we'll make a good pick.''

Houston has 11 picks (thanks to three compensatory selections awarded Monday) and a lot of options in this draft, and there's little time to waste in preparing for the haul that O'Brien hopes is on the way...

"I do think it's a deep draft and it has a lot to do with all those young guys coming out, all those juniors,'' O'Brien said. "We have 11 picks, and you can really set your team up for the future by doing your due diligence in this draft. Which is what we're doing. We're working on it, and I think we're going to have a really good draft.
Though everyone wants to talk quarterback with O'Brien, the former Patriots offensive coordinator and Penn State head coach, that may not necessarily be where Houston starts its selection process. The more I listen to O'Brien, the more I'm starting to believe passing on a QB at No. 1 overall is truly in play for the Texans. I'm not predicting someone other than a quarterback is the end result, but it's a possibility. O'Brien consistently reminds anyone who asks about the quarterbacks in this year's draft that there are more than just the three consensus top-rated passers to choose from, those being Manziel, Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and Central Florida's Blake Bortles.
"It's important to note there's a lot of quarterbacks that are winners, that have played well [in this draft],'' O'Brien said, toward the beginning of his hour-plus session with reporters at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando Grand Lakes. "You've got A.J. McCarron and [Zach] Mettenberger and Garoppolo. [Pitt's Tom] Savage, we were at his pro day. You can go right down the line. There are a lot of guys who can play quarterback.

"I don't [see a lot of separation among the quarterbacks]. I see strengths and weaknesses with every one of these guys, and I don't see where there's two or three guys that are just light years ahead of the rest of these guys. McCarron and Mettenberg, those guys played in the SEC. So did Johnny. That's a tough conference. They won a lot of games in the SEC, so they must have been doing something right. It's a very intriguing position [in this year's draft class].''
"No question,'' said O'Brien, when I asked him if Wilson's and Kaepernick's success was a reminder that quarterback-needy teams do not have to invest at a first-round level. "Obviously we're not ready to sit down as a staff and say what we're going to do, but the more I study these guys, I see a lot of guys with experience and production in college. There are a lot of quarterbacks I've watched that are decent players.''
"I think it's very, very difficult for a guy to play quarterback as a rookie, right away,'' he said. "To expect a guy to go in there and play right away against a Rex Ryan defense is very, very difficult. But at the same time, you better be ready to do it, because you never know what might happen. If it ends up being a guy's got to play as a rookie, then that's what he's got to do.''
O'Brien said he was "sure we'll have something in mind maybe a week or two in advance'' of the draft, but the process of arriving at a selection at No. 1 will "be a while.''
"With all due respect to the fans of Houston ... if we start asking the fans about who we should draft, I'll be sitting next to you at the next game,'' O'Brien said to a reporter.
• On the first thing he looks for in a quarterback?
"To me it's really two things. The guy has to be able to throw the ball accurately and a guy has to have intelligence. He has to have a quick mind. He's got to be able to process things in two or three seconds.''
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...014-nfl-draft/
Old 03-25-2014   #186
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he likes accuracy and intelligence.
Old 03-25-2014   #187
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94459 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I think he likes accuracy and intelligence.
I think he has a major mancrush on Brady. Just sayin....
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #188
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
Bill O'Brien has been interviewed about many football-related topics, but he frequently comes back to quarterbacking no matter what the original question was. (See Texans home page.) This suggests the Texans are pretty well fixed on drafting a QB first. If they think the guy they most want is going to be available for a while, they're liable to trade down, but we can expect them to take a QB in the 1st round.
I think it is a smoke screen. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fitzpatrick starting for us next year with a qb picked in the 3rd or 4th round to develop. I would be surprised if we keep the first pick and don't trade down. I think we are going to wind up with a lot of short crossing routes and 3+ wideout sets with a need for a qb that can get the ball out quickly.

Trade back and take Barr or Malik. Pick up a second, 3rd and a 2nd and 3rd next year and you can build a team in 2 years. If you add a pass rushing olb a solid NT and cush stays healthy then you need a 3rd CB and this defense is set. Adding a 2nd and 3rd this year would let you make that happen. Then pick up a qb later in the draft.

I think there is a reason we picked up fitzpatrick.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #189
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
I think it is a smoke screen. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fitzpatrick starting for us next year with a qb picked in the 3rd or 4th round to develop. I would be surprised if we keep the first pick and don't trade down. I think we are going to wind up with a lot of short crossing routes and 3+ wideout sets with a need for a qb that can get the ball out quickly.

Mike
I'm thinking basically the same thing. Sounds like he's more into developing a QB than drafting one with a pick that can produce a starter. If we get starters with our 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round picks, sounds like he'll be fine "developing" a QB like Savage or Murray in the 4th or later.

That's not to say if there was a Peyton Manning or Phillip Rivers in this draft he would pass on them, but this is a deep draft at many positions & we've got the 1st pick in every round & then some.

Having said all that, he seems to value winning & production in the major conferences, overcoming diversity, and of course intelligence. I don't get the feeling that he believes any one of these QBs are better than the other, only different.
Old 03-25-2014   #190
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm thinking basically the same thing. Sounds like he's more into developing a QB than drafting one with a pick that can produce a starter. If we get starters with our 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round picks, sounds like he'll be fine "developing" a QB like Savage or Murray in the 4th or later.
There isn't a single starting QB in the league drafted after the 3rd round (arguably 2nd) the teams drafted to be their future starter.
Old 03-25-2014   #191
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203027 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Accuracy Rankings of QBs in 2013 by PFF

Some interesting and telling stats.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #192
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203027 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post

Trade back and take Barr or Malik. Pick up a second, 3rd and a 2nd and 3rd next year and you can build a team in 2 years. If you add a pass rushing olb a solid NT and cush stays healthy then you need a 3rd CB and this defense is set. Adding a 2nd and 3rd this year would let you make that happen. Then pick up a qb later in the draft.

I think there is a reason we picked up fitzpatrick.

Mike
We certainly aren't going to expect him to get much of anywhere throwing long.

Found these 2012 stats:

and the article with screen shots that goes with it re. his mechanics.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #193
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There isn't a single starting QB in the league drafted after the 3rd round (arguably 2nd) the teams drafted to be their future starter.
Interesting.
Old 03-25-2014   #194
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
We certainly aren't going to expect him to get much of anywhere throwing long.

Found these 2012 stats:

and the article with screen shots that goes with it re. his mechanics.
FWIW I couldn't find Tom Brady's actual stats but I found the top 10 for each of the last 4 years. Tom brady was not a top 10 in either accuracy or % of attempts over 20 yards.

IMHO that's why we picked up fitzpatrick. I could easily see OB believing that he can work with him (at least this year, maybe longer). If you look at Brady he throws a lot of short routes with receivers crossing.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #195
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 57809 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I predict, Clowney with 1.1, trade back into the 1st round and Mccarron is the guy.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #196
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I predict, Clowney with 1.1, trade back into the 1st round and Mccarron is the guy.
What makes you think McCarron is going to sniff the 1st round?

General fyi - we have a draft forum where there are extensive discussions about all sorts of prospects.
Old 03-25-2014   #197
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 57809 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What makes you think McCarron is going to sniff the 1st round?

General fyi - we have a draft forum where there are extensive discussions about all sorts of prospects.
And? You don't think this thread qualifies as a draft prospect type of thread? Are you not also engaging in draft talk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #198
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
And? You don't think this thread qualifies as a draft prospect type of thread? Are you not also engaging in draft talk?
Don't get your knickers twisted. We are clearly allowing some draft talk in this thread and also have recommended the draft forum when it starts to get more involved.

I pointed you to the draft forum because you would find McCarron is generally predicted to be available in the 3rd or later. A few people think he may go in the 2nd. Nobody thinks the Texans would need to move up into the 1st to get him.
Old 03-26-2014   #199
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kaepernick.
Or do you think that Harbaugh was perfectly happy with Alex Smith and spent a #3 on Colin K. just for the heck of it?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014   #200
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I think he has a major mancrush on Brady. Just sayin....
Who doesn't? lol!

Quote:
Great point. I think the majority of current starting QBs are first round picks, iirc. The notable ones drafted later that come to mind - Brady, Wilson, Kaepernick - were not picked to be starters.

Choosing a QB in a later round with the ambition that he's your future just seems like too much of a gamble. They've got pick of the litter right now, just gotta' figure out which one.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read