Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-10-2014   #41
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Sideline View/Zierlein/Harris on 2014 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Wow, lots of JFF hate in here, even though LZ is quite revered at other times. Must be wishy-washy fans.
I respect LZ as much as anyone, but he tends to fall in love with exciting local prospects over quality players. He couldn't have been higher on the the Rodgers brothers or Vince Young. He had a huge on air meltdown when VY scored that overtime touchdown against us his rookie season.

So I temper his recommendations when it's a local guy.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #42
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
I respect LZ as much as anyone, but he tends to fall in love with exciting local prospects over quality players. He couldn't have been higher on the the Rodgers brothers or Vince Young. He had a huge on air meltdown when VY scored that overtime touchdown against us his rookie season.

So I temper his recommendations when it's a local guy.
Sounds reasonable. I just get a chuckle when JM or TB get roasted by a particular reviewer stating they wouldn't take one of the other until late 2nd / 3rd.
Old 01-10-2014   #43
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Sounds reasonable. I just get a chuckle when JM or TB get roasted by a particular reviewer stating they wouldn't take one of the other until late 2nd / 3rd.
Me too. It's just annoying.
Old 01-10-2014   #44
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

LZ gets my undivided attention when he's discussing OL prospects and that's about it. Lance does have some insider sources, so when he repeats a source opinion I listen. Anything else I take with a grain of salt.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #45
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Comprehensive SB coverage on many players...

Senior Bowl Notes: Monday
Monday, January 20, 2014

Lance Zierlein’s Monday Notes
John Harris’ Monday Notes
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #46
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance offered chance for every one of us to up our game. I listen, read & soak in as much as possible & I've read many, he is solid. Which really distracts me from my calling, lol.

I have to ask, why is Rick Smith still here?

Have to admit after every draft I'm the first to make the best of it!

But enough is enough.

Montgomery/Williams.... wtf

two critical positions on need that still need to be addressed.

you have to hit on those to be a winning franchise.

what i see is a partnership that failed, so why exclude the partner in crime, can you read me Cal, Robert McNair.

Please just do us all a favor along with your new HC & players cut the cord.

Thought I had something more to say.....

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #47
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

THE CURIOUS CASE OF CHRISTIAN JONES

Quote:
Prior to heading to Mobile for the Senior Bowl, my Sideline View cohort Lance Zierlein and I were discussing our most intriguing Senior Bowl prospects. I quickly noted Florida State’s Christian Jones, in large part due to the fact that I wanted to see how the Jacksonville Jaguars coaching staff would use him down in Mobile. Would they play him at middle linebacker? Would they allow him to stand up and rush the edge? Would he play one of the outside linebacker spots?

It dawned on me at that particular moment how different and unique Jones is and the dimension that he provides for an NFL team. Many don’t see it my way, well, many in the draft media world. But, I can be stubborn about what I’ve seen and even more so as it pertains to what I think Jones can do for an NFL team at the next level. Here’s why...
Old 03-06-2014   #48
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

tweets read bottom(oldest)-to-top
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
The idea of giving away multiple picks in an extremely deep draft is just poor draft management

Quote:
@ryanlownes @SigmundBloom ATL has a big need at tackle and DE and they could easily fall into Mack or Matthews or trade back.

Quote:
Ryan Lownes ‏@ryanlownes
Quote:
@LanceZierlein @SigmundBloom @jharrisfootball I agree, I don't think they're in position to sacrifice multiple or future picks. + 6 is fine
@ryanlownes @SigmundBloom I had this discussion with @jharrisfootball yesterday. I think trading up for ATL is a mistake.

Quote:
Ryan Lownes ‏@ryanlownes
Quote:
@LanceZierlein @SigmundBloom ATL has shown that aggressiveness before, but they're already in a solid spot to fill a need w/big-time player.
@ryanlownes If they move back, it will be Matthews. If he’s not there, Watkins. They are in a great spot to me.

Quote:
Ryan Lownes ‏@ryanlownes
Quote:
@LanceZierlein Potential Rams target if they move down a few spots or do you see him as being in play at #2 still?
Workout was fantastic yesterday. Snead only GM there RT "@ryanlownes: @LanceZierlein Have seen more mocks with Matthews falling to 9 or so"

I feel like Watkins and Manziel are the biggest wildcards inside the top 6 picks. Bortles will fall out of top 7 if he doesn’t go 1st

The more conversations I have w/ contacts around league, the more I feel like Clowney, Mack, Matthews and Robinson all gone inside 5

Looking more and more like Texans go with best player on their board (likely Clowney) and a QB later in the draft. Traits usually win out.
Old 03-23-2014   #49
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

RANKING THE TOP QBS IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: HOW WE RANK
By Lance Zierlein
Quote:
With every NFL draft a heightened importance is placed on the quarterback position because, as we all know, trying to win a Super Bowl without an upper-echelon quarterback is pretty hard to do.

Quarterbacks get dissected like no other draft prospects. By the final couple of weeks before the draft, it seems as though the only things we begin hearing about most quarterbacks are the negatives as opposed to what they do well.

However, when you consider the relatively low hit rate at the quarterback position in the first round of the NFL draft, you can understand the jaundiced eye that is cast in that position's direction.
"Blake Bortles isn't ready yet."
"Johnny Manziel can't make NFL throws from the pocket."
"Teddy Bridgewater is too slight and had a bad pro day."
Maybe these comments will end up being validated and maybe they won't - time will tell. We do, however, know that projecting QBs from the college level to the pros has become harder with the college game being played completely differently than the pros.

NFL teams have turned to analytics programs like STATS Ice to help them with projecting, developing and attacking quarterbacks. “Our QB Launch Point and Passing Stance analysis help personnel executives and coaches determine a QB’s strengths, weaknesses, and development opportunities for incoming QBs”, said STATS Ice creator and STATS Sports Solutions GM John Pollard. “With an increased emphasis on the passing game, defensive schemes are tailored to both pressure the QB while defending the big play. Teams are using our data to not only find ways to attack NFL QBs, but also to identify which college QBs are likely to fit into their offensive schemes.”

Teams are using our data to not only find ways to attack NFL QBs, but also to identify which college QBs are likely to fit into their offensive schemes.
STATS Sports Solutions GM John Pollard
Today we are going to try and combine the requisite elements that today's successful, NFL quarterback has to possess along with player data to see if we can create a more focused assessment of Bortles, Manziel and Bridgewater.

ELEMENTS OF SUCCESS

There was a time when quarterbacks could be statues in the pocket and still be elite. There was also a time when many NFL teams used 7-step drops. We don't see either happen very often nowadays.

Strong arm? Those days are gone too. Sure, having a strong arm can help with certain throws, but what most teams want to see is functional arm strength which is another way of saying "can make all of the NFL throws". Here are some core elements of success for NFL quarterbacks.

1. TOUGHNESS AND POISE

Let's be clear on this one. There have been plenty of QBs who have been physically tough who didn't show a great deal of poise when needed. The two are not always inter-linked. Guys like Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger and Brady have all shown a combination of toughness AND poise and they all have Super Bowl rings.

2. ACCURACY

It is very rare, indeed, to hear any GMs or head coaches talk about arm strength over accuracy anymore. Passing games aren't ruled by verticality any longer, they are ruled by accuracy. Accuracy (as we define it in this space) is the ability to throw short and intermediate throws with consistent accuracy.

3. INSTINCTS OR "FEEL"

This appears to be a fairly nebulous term upon first glance, but NFL evaluators have a like-minded understanding of what constitutes "instincts" and "feel" for a quarterback. Whether it is a quarterback sliding away from blindside trouble in the pocket or anticipating throwing windows on an intermediate "Dig" route. Quarterbacks who display good instincts within a game are usually able to make plays and avoid costly turnovers at a greater rate than QBs who don't show that same feel for the position.

4. LEADERSHIP

Leadership can be seen on the field, but it is more than just a QB yelling at his guys on the sideline or imploring them in the huddle when they are behind. Any QB can do these things, but the real tell-tale sign is whether or not teammates respond to these QBs. Do they buy into the QB during the offseason work including in camp? Do they consider this QB a "be about it" player or a "talk about it" player. When players believe in their leader (the QB), they tend to play at a higher level more consistently because that QB sets the tone for the team.

QUARTERBACKING SKILLS TO CONSIDER

Three of the four "Elements of Success" could be considered subjective and difficult to measure with accuracy being the only element where everyone can come to a reasonable consensus based on the data. How you actually use the data in your assessment of accuracy is another topic but we will delve into that when we analyze Manziel, Bortles and Bridgewater later on.

Let's take a look at some of the skills that are necessary in today's NFL game:

1. ABILITY TO MAKE NFL THROWS

Arm strength certainly matters a great deal in this category, but it is worth noting that there is a sliding scale for arm strength relative to a QB's anticipatory skills and release. Around the league, there is an understanding about the cutoff for arm strength for a QB to be able to make NFL throws. The closer a QB is to the cutoff line, the earlier in the route a QB has to throw the ball. If the arm is below average and the QB doesn't get rid of the ball early enough, then he won't be able to make NFL throws without giving up too many interceptions. Joe Montana and currently, Peyton Manning, have below average NFL arms, but their understanding of their schemes and ability to get rid of the ball early in the route and still complete passes at a high percentage is what helped them in their careers. As one NFL personnel man puts it, "Any ball over 15 yards - he has to have anticipation and enough velocity."

2. ABILITY TO THROW WITH ACCURACY ON THE MOVE

This can be a measure a QB's ability to scramble and make plays and/or a QB's ability to roll-out and throw with accuracy in both directions. Some offenses will take advantage of the bootleg game in play-action or they will simply roll their QBs out of the pocket. In these offenses, it is critical to be able to hit targets with consistency. Obviously there are some offenses that don't ask their QBs to roll outside of the pocket much (Tom Brady), so this skill is more important in some offenses than in others; however, accuracy and an ability to make throws after scrambling out of the pocket has become more and more important in today's NFL.

3. MOBILITY

There was a time when "The Statue" could make it in the NFL as a QB, but it is getting harder and harder for those QBs to be successful in the NFL. Defensive coordinators understand not only how to generate pressure from all angles via blitz packages, they also understand the tendencies of QBs and will make defensive calls that are designed to confuse the QB and slow his progressions. Once this happens, havoc can ensue and QBs who are able to slide around in the pocket (pocket mobility) or get outside of the pocket and keep their eyes downfield have the ability to make plays and extend drives.
http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...johnny-manziel
Old 03-23-2014   #50
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

RANKING THE TOP THREE QBS IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: JOHNNY MANZIEL
By Lance Zierlein
Quote:
TOUGHNESS AND POISE

There can be no denying that Manziel is at the top of the toughness list amongst QBs in this year’s draft. In his two years as a starter, Manziel never missed...

ACCURACY (INCLUDING ON THE MOVE)

I’ve heard questions about whether or not Manziel can beat a team from the pocket and to do that, he has to prove that he is accurate. Was he accurate from the pocket in college? Yes. Yes he was.

When Manziel threw from the pocket, he complete 73.6% of his passes for 3,429 yards, 9.95 ypa and 27 TDs. Can Manziel...

MAKES NFL THROWS

This is one of the areas that some evaluators believe Manziel could struggle with on the next level. It isn’t necessarily the arm strength that is the knock here, it is the feel and the anticipation that tends to get him knocked. I’ve seen some of the anticipation issues with my own eyes as Manziel has waited for a window to come open rather than throwing to a spot. Is this coachable? It can be...

Of Manziel’s 37 TD passes this year, only 10 came from behind the line of scrimmage to five yards down the field - the classic dump and dash that we see in college. According to the STATS Ice data, Manziel had 27 TDs passes beyond 6 yards including 12 that were for 16+ yards.

MOBILITY

We know that Manziel is elite in terms of his mobility. Whether Manziel is...

FINAL ANALYSIS

The tape shows that Manziel has the ability to make throws against Cover-2 defenses and down the sideline on vertical routes. His touch on those deep throws is undeniable. However, the tape and the data also show that Manziel tends to get careless...

(All data mentioned represents the 2013 season)
read complete analysis: http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...johnny-manziel
Old 03-23-2014   #51
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

But but all Manziel does is run around and chuck it up.
Old 03-25-2014   #52
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

RANKING THE TOP THREE QBS IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: TEDDY BRIDGEWATER
Quote:
TOUGHNESS AND POISE

Growing up and coming out of the Liberty City neighborhood in Miami is your first clue to Bridgewater’s toughness. Bridgewater didn’t miss any games due to injury during his three years as QB at Louisville and continued to play through a broken wrist in 2012 against UConn. With a bad ankle and a cast on that same broken wrist, Bridgewater beat Rutgers in his next game to earn a conference championship and BCS bowl bid against Florida whom he beat with a cast on his left wrist.

Like Manziel, Bridgewater was blitzed on 29% of his throws, but the results were much better...

Up to this point, there really seems to be no reason to doubt Teddy Bridgewater’s accuracy as he moves to the next level. For the most part, that perception is correct...

MAKES NFL THROWS

Teddy Bridgewater can make all of the throws on paper, but when I watch him, I can’t help but think that he’ll have some issues with ball-hawking defenders if he wants to test the boundaries with his intermediate throws. Keep in mind that for all of Bridgewater’s accuracy with short and intermediate routes, he’s going to see much more varied coverages from NFL secondaries which means he has to be comfortable throwing to all areas of the field and that appears to be a concerns.

Bridgewater is very capable with is play-action bootleg throws as long as he’s moving right and that is one of my problems with him. While I really like Teddy’s toughness, poise and accuracy, I’m worried defensive coordinators will rush him from his right and force him left and that is an issue. Bridgewater was just 7 of 17 for 55 yards and no TDs when moving to his left via rollout or scrambling. When scrambling or rolling right, he was 20 of 30 for 266 yards and 2 TDs.

Moreover, Bridgewater had just 1 TD to go with 1 INT on 60 pass attempts to the left from 6-15 yards. When making intermediate throws to the right, he had 4 TDs to 0 INTs on 63 attempts. The same issues left and right are found with his deep ball where he completed 33% of his passes 16+ yards to the left while completing 51.2% of deep balls to the right. Bridgewater hit some home runs deep which is to be expected on the college level, but he completed just 44.3% of his deep balls compared to 51.9% for Manziel and 49.2% for Bortles who both show better NFL-caliber touch on those throws when you watch them.

MOBILITY

When you watch Teddy Bridgewater operate around and even outside of the pocket, you can see he not only has the ability to escape pressure, but to also damage defenses with his legs. However, Bridgewater simply doesn’t utilize those legs as often as I think he should...

FINAL ANALYSIS

The tape shows that Teddy Bridgewater has an NFL understanding of progressions and the type of poise and decision-making that should allow him to avoid being a...
read complete analysis: http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...dy-bridgewater
Old 03-25-2014   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
RANKING THE TOP THREE QBS IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: TEDDY BRIDGEWATER
Quote:
MAKES NFL THROWS

Teddy Bridgewater can make all of the throws on paper, but when I watch him, I can’t help but think that he’ll have some issues with ball-hawking defenders if he wants to test the boundaries with his intermediate throws. Keep in mind that for all of Bridgewater’s accuracy with short and intermediate routes, he’s going to see much more varied coverages from NFL secondaries which means he has to be comfortable throwing to all areas of the field and that appears to be a concerns.
read complete analysis: http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...dy-bridgewater
I'm thinking the same thing. Especially the short/intermediate out routes. I don't know that it's an arm strength issue, I've seen him fling it, I've seen him put zip on it. But for some reason, throwing it out past the hash marks I don't believe he consistently puts the zip on the ball that is needed. Savy defenders will be looking for that ball & they're going to jump those routes whenever they can.
Old 03-25-2014   #54
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
But but all Manziel does is run around and chuck it up.
I thought that's what they said...

Quote:
FINAL ANALYSIS
The tape shows that Manziel has the ability to make throws against Cover-2 defenses and down the sideline on vertical routes. His touch on those deep throws is undeniable. However, the tape and the data also show that Manziel tends to get careless...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #55
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

RANKING THE TOP THREE QBS IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: BLAKE BORTLES
Quote:
TOUGHNESS AND POISE

Blake Bortles has very good size by NFL standards (6’5/232) and he more than plays to his size from a toughness standpoint. Bortles has played in every game over the last two seasons and is a physical runner on called running plays or when he scrambles.

Defenses tended to blitz Bortles at a higher frequency of pass attempts (31.9%) than they did against Johnny Manziel or Teddy Bridgewater (29%). His completion percentage when blitzed was 64.8% which was higher than Manziel but lower than Bridgewater. Bortles’ 9.1 YPA, 7 TDs and 2 INTs when blitzed is good, but I found something more impressive...

The tape tells you that Blake Bortles is behind Manziel and Bridgewater at this current time as a QB prospect and the data tends to confirm this - especially when studying his short to intermediate accuracy...

MAKES NFL THROWS

With Bortles, you have to do some projecting when watching the tape and grinding on data. Bortles has enough arm to throw the deep digs and outs and I see enough zip on his passes between the CB and S, but right now he has a tendency to sail some of those passes and his accuracy is still a work in progress on some of those throws.

Despite the fact that less than 10% of his snaps came under center, Bortles is really strong at throwing the ball on...

MOBILITY

To be honest, I was surprised at Blake Bortles relatively pedestrian...

FINAL ANALYSIS

Blake Bortles isn’t ready to be an NFL QB just yet and could have definitely benefitted from another year at UCF. However, when I watch him play, I see a QB who has areas that are “improvable”. While Manziel and Bridgewater can get better at certain aspects, I don’t see as much growth potential in their games as I see in Bortles’ game. Then again, that also means...
Old 04-28-2014   #56
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Offensive Line Grades - 2014 NFL Draft
Welcome To My "2014 Offensive Line Draft Primer"
Lance Zierlein

Quote:
I've created formulas for tackles, centers and guards that take into account their power in the run blocking game, foot quickness, ability in pass protection, hand strength and how they sustain their blocks, body control, core strength and tenacity. As you will notice, I have included both tackle and guard ratings for some players and I've included a grade for players who may fit into the zone scheme as well.

My grades, as always are a combination of how I see a player now and how I see a player fitting into the NFL. For example, with Greg Robinson, I am projecting the player I believe he will become as he continues to learn the fundamentals of pass protection technique after playing for a run-heavy offense.

These grades are my own and I they do not necessarily reflect where I think a player will or should be drafted. As with any draft year, I grade the player with no regard to the draft class and only on his merits as an offensive linemen. Then, based on how the board shapes up, I would then fit them into the right spots. For example, I have a high 2nd round grade on Joel Bitonio, but I would probably draft him higher than that because he has position flexibility and I also believe that he is a safe player...
Old 04-28-2014   #57
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Offensive Line Grades - 2014 NFL Draft
Welcome To My "2014 Offensive Line Draft Primer"
Lance Zierlein
Yankey #23 OL'man on LZ's list. I concur. Never got the 1st/2nd round love.
Old 04-28-2014   #58
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yankey #23 OL'man on LZ's list. I concur. Never got the 1st/2nd round love.
Me neither,

My sleeper pick OL

Patchan/Steen/Halapio/Graf
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #59
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

The Silent Majority - The Quieter Beasts Of The 2014 NFL Draft
By John Harris
Quote:
Tajh Boyd...
Boston College RB Andre Williams

Wisconsin James White
Wisconsin…WR Jared Abbrederis
Wake Forest WR Michael Campanaro

Georgia TE Arthur Lynch
U Mass TE Rob Blanchflower

Missouri OT Justin Britt
Furman T/G prospect Dakota Dozier
BC tackle Matt Patchan

Syracuse DT Jay Bromley

Oregon DE/DT Taylor Hart
Alabama DT Jeoffrey Pagan

Stanford ILB Shayne Skov
Virginia Tech ILB Jack Tyler

Utah OLB Trevor Reilly
Baylor CB Demetri Goodson
Oregon S Terrance Mitchell
Old 04-29-2014   #60
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Tajh Boyd...
Boston College RB Andre Williams

Wisconsin James White
Wisconsin…WR Jared Abbrederis
Wake Forest WR Michael Campanaro

Georgia TE Arthur Lynch
U Mass TE Rob Blanchflower

Missouri OT Justin Britt
Furman T/G prospect Dakota Dozier
BC tackle Matt Patchan

Syracuse DT Jay Bromley

Oregon DE/DT Taylor Hart
Alabama DT Jeoffrey Pagan

Stanford ILB Shayne Skov
Virginia Tech ILB Jack Tyler

Utah OLB Trevor Reilly
Baylor CB Demetri Goodson
Oregon S Terrance Mitchell

I really like all the guys In bold. I seem to be the only guy around here that really likes Andre Williams. Jared abbrederis gets no love around here but is really really good.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read