Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you grade the first selection in the first round?
A 23 28.75%
B 31 38.75%
C 9 11.25%
D 2 2.50%
F 15 18.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2014   #201
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/1 Brennan Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm hoping for the best but it's not like he's created stifling defenses everywhere he's gone.
Well, he certainly took the existing personnel and made the defense better. But, the assertion was that Crennel couldn't implement Clowney into his defense. I don't see any evidence that would support that.
Old 03-24-2014   #202
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Think about that.

He's already got one guy that he's going to have to make some changes to accommodate IF he goes with the defense that he's most comfortable with. Should we add another guy that doesn't fit his base scheme on top of it? Or is RAC going to go with a totally different scheme to incorporate both guys?

There are two basic types of coaches: those who build schemes based on their personnel and those who find personnel to fit what they like.

When Wade came in, there was a hullaballoo about switching from 4-3 to 3-4. But with Wade's 3-4, the 4-3 personnel we had were a pretty good fit. Now we're going from a 3-4 to a 3-4 but because of the change of concept, we don't have the right personnel.

So what is RAC going to do? He's let our penetrating NT's go and he looks to be replacing them with space-eater NTs. That looks like he's transitioning to his standard base instead of building a defense around our current personnel.

But we'll just have to wait and see.
As we discussed earlier in this thread, maybe just one position after QB has the equivalent value of a pass-rusher, and even better with JJ we've got "Mr Inside" while Clowney as an elite edge-rusher would give us "Mr Outside" and I would think any DC would pray for the opportunity to coach and manage that duo in his defense. But these DCs can mix-and-match, which is to say Crennel may have a 330 lb 2-gap guy over the center, and then another DLineman adjacent to the 2-gap NT like perhaps Watt "in the gap" (a 1-gapper), i.e., it's not all black and white.
But ultimately I see Clowney being used very much as Wade used Demarcus Ware in his 3-4 in Dallas,
and an even less athletic Mario succeeded in that scheme early on before his season-ending injury.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #203
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Are we done talking Brennan Williams?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #204
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I was just going to ask the same question.........the last 3 pages re. Crennel, Clowney and D??????????
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #205
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think you have any proof that bringing in guys with character issues is a winning model. I know it didn't do the Bengals any good when they led the league in player suspensions.
Nope, but the Pats did pretty good?

Who had the most suspensions in the NFL last yr?

Let SF tell you how valuable Alex Boone/Aldon Smith are.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #206
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I was just going to ask the same question.........the last 3 pages re. Crennel, Clowney and D??????????
What are the odds Williams ever becomes a serviceable starting OT? How long will it take him to get back to 80% of what he could've become, if ever?
Old 03-24-2014   #207
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
What are the odds Williams ever becomes a serviceable starting OT? How long will it take him to get back to 80% of what he could've become, if ever?
Why burn a roster spot on someone we know has a lasting injury issue when there are others around without that concern at the same or better level of performance? Is it because he's already on the roster and you want to know if he can be salvaged?
Old 03-24-2014   #208
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, he certainly took the existing personnel and made the defense better. But, the assertion was that Crennel couldn't implement Clowney into his defense. I don't see any evidence that would support that.
Did I say "couldn't"? I didn't mean to say "couldn't". Of course, he can. I just don't know that he will. I don't feel he did a great job of it in KC or in Cleveland.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #209
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Threads meander. That's why they're threads.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #210
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Threads meander. That's why they're threads.
My query was a mild attempt to get back on the original track which was will Brennan Williams ever be healthy enough to contribute and maybe eliminate the need to spend a 2014 pick on his position?

Meandering would be going from Williams talk to what F/A might take his spot or who we might draft to replace him and in what round.

We have "meandered" all the way over to the other side of the line of scrimmage, as Doc, pointed out for the past three pages. Hell, even I got caught up in it.

Man, the off-season even makes me grumpy.
Old 03-24-2014   #211
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope, but the Pats did pretty good?

Who had the most suspensions in the NFL last yr?

Let SF tell you how valuable Alex Boone/Aldon Smith are.
You don't think SF would like to redo the Aldon Smith pick and take JJ Watt? The Pats with Hernandez? Really? That's what you're going with? You've made my case for me.

The Texans don't need "bad boys". They need good players. Players that can produce on the field and not get suspended. This isn't rocket science. The Texans need to draft better, not "badder".
Old 03-24-2014   #212
Lucky

Quote:
We have "meandered" all the way over to the other side of the line of scrimmage, as Doc, pointed out for the past three pages. Hell, even I got caught up in it.
I'm done with the off topic stuff. Brennan Williams? Who knows? I would bet that O'Brien has less patience with guys who can't find their way onto the field. And I would be stunned if the Texans counted on him for a contribution and ignored RT in the draft.
Old 03-24-2014   #213
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Microfracture surgery is only performed when joint bone is denuded of its cartilage coverage. The fibrous tissue substitute it creates is neither thick nor durable. It is typically a last ditch effort to preserve the function of the joint. If it done for a very small area, a player may just squeak through. If it is a loss of significant cartilage caused by previous injury/surgery, success rate is dismal.

In Williams case, I have no doubt that he suffered significant cartilage damage at his initially reported "tweaked knee." The arthroscopy then was performed to remove loose and damaged cartilage, exposing some underlying bare knee joint bone. He returned to play too soon thus further breaking off bits of damaged cartilage. During this surgery, further cleanup of cartilage, thus exposing more bone surface would have likely been performed prior to the microfracture drilling. Keep in mind that after joint bone denuding of cartilage and drilling into the bone, arthritis naturally quickly ensues. Not a terribly rosey picture for the future.
So a bit off topic but considering the pro football prognosis of microfracture surgery,

How far off are we from seeing NFL players with replacement joints???
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #214
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
And I would be stunned if the Texans counted on him for a contribution and ignored RT in the draft.
From what I understood Doc to say... & the second opinion that resurrected this thread, he may very well look good in whatever workouts they have before the draft.

Maybe even make it through OTAs & into training camp before it even becomes an issue.

If we ever hear that he has to have his knee drained at any time though.... it's over.
Old 03-24-2014   #215
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm done with the off topic stuff. Brennan Williams? Who knows? I would bet that O'Brien has less patience with guys who can't find their way onto the field. And I would be stunned if the Texans counted on him for a contribution and ignored RT in the draft.
I sure hope your right, but I get that impression as well. Guys sucking up paychecks from the trainers table year after year should be a thing of the past. I'd also be stunned if OT was a position we didn't address in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #216
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You don't think SF would like to redo the Aldon Smith pick and take JJ Watt? The Pats with Hernandez? Really? That's what you're going with? You've made my case for me.

The Texans don't need "bad boys". They need good players. Players that can produce on the field and not get suspended. This isn't rocket science. The Texans need to draft better, not "badder".
Which team got the most suspensions in the NFL last yr?
Old 03-24-2014   #217
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I sure hope your right, but I get that impression as well. Guys sucking up paychecks from the trainers table year after year should be a thing of the past. I'd also be stunned if OT was a position we didn't address in the 2nd or 3rd round.
We can only hope.
Old 03-24-2014   #218
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
So a bit off topic but considering the pro football prognosis of microfracture surgery,

How far off are we from seeing NFL players with replacement joints???
Very far off with what's available today. Unlike hips, total knees do not easily dislocate (come out of joint). So there is less concern about that happening in the middle of a strenuous activity. However, it is known that total knees do NOT last forever. They are little machines that will take care of you longer , if you take care of them!

How do total knees gradually fail? Well, they are actually cemented into the bone. And just like cracks form in the sidewalk over years after extremes of weather, cracks can occur in cement inside your knee. This is more likely if you "beat your knee up" on a regular basis. This is why it is not recommended that one chooses running for daily exercise after a knee replacement. The constant repetitive "jarring" could lead to cement cracks and eventual loosening of the implant. Most suggested is letting patients to play tennis (doubles is safer), ski, play golf, bike ride, swim, and do similar sports. Bike riding, Yoga and swimming are the best exercises. The stresses of impact, grinding and torquing is a sure formula for early failure. Thus, as things stand (and for any forseeable future), knee replacement must coincide with retirement from the NFL
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #219
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Which team got the most suspensions in the NFL last yr?
Sigh.... This has been debunked already...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #220
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Meandering would be going from Williams talk to what F/A might take his spot or who we might draft to replace him and in what round...
When discussing "needs", I think RT is high on most lists and most agree we need to draft a RT or acquire one in free agency. My mock has us taking Ja'Wuan James in the 4th. Williams will compete for the position in camp. If healthy, or at least able to play through any pain he may have, he may win the starting spot. Or not.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read