Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-23-2014   #21
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 108383 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub named starter in Oakland

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
What if (crackhead theory) Schaub leads Oakland to a championship?
I think I might cry if that happens.
I would find the nearest kitten and punch it.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #22
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

om man get rdy for PICK SIXES and a bunch of throw aways OAK town LOL

if matt thought the AFCS was a hard Div now he has to face

SAN DEGIO

CHEIFS

DENVER

all twice yikes ..!!!! LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
under fire GM Reggie McKenzie and HC Dennis Allen have hitched their wagon on Matt Schaub.

good luck with that.
Hitched?

Let's say Teddy Bridgewater falls to them & they take him. After a few weeks of training camp, Dennis Allen believes TeddyB gives them the best opportunity to win, & though they like Matt Schaub, they see the results of his Lisfranc leaves him competent in spurts & would be better spent as a back-up.

They can cut him & only be on the hook for his roster bonus (I believe it is due before training camp)... & be free & clear of him. They can cut him after the season & not affect their future cap in anyway.

If he plays he gets paid. If he don't.. he don't. They couldn't be in a better position with Schaub.
Old 03-23-2014   #24
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
They can cut him & only be on the hook for his roster bonus (I believe it is due before training camp)... & be free & clear of him.
I don't think he gets the bonus until he plays in a game. Actually, I think it's per game bonus. If Schuab were cut prior to the season, the Raiders would "only" be out a 6th round pick. And the eggs that would be on their face.
Old 03-23-2014   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think he gets the bonus until he plays in a game. Actually, I think it's per game bonus. If Schuab were cut prior to the season, the Raiders would "only" be out a 6th round pick. And the eggs that would be on their face.
Which they've developed an immunity to at this point.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #26
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 102617 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I believe we'll have to put NitroFish in a padded room.
...with no internet access
lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Hitched?

Let's say Teddy Bridgewater falls to them & they take him. After a few weeks of training camp, Dennis Allen believes TeddyB gives them the best opportunity to win, & though they like Matt Schaub, they see the results of his Lisfranc leaves him competent in spurts & would be better spent as a back-up.

They can cut him & only be on the hook for his roster bonus (I believe it is due before training camp)... & be free & clear of him. They can cut him after the season & not affect their future cap in anyway.

If he plays he gets paid. If he don't.. he don't. They couldn't be in a better position with Schaub.
Yea I think they made a great move for a change and not because I am a Schaub fan, but for the exact reason you stated. If he delivers they are geniuses, if he fails it cost them next to nothing, and everyone will say "It's The Raiders what did you expect?"

If McFadden can stay healthy, and they do get Evans, and have a decent draft. Schaub could do very well for them. Allot better than they are used to that's for sure, and from what I have been reading, Raiders fans actually seem like they want the guy and look at him as an improvement. Silly Raiders fans.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #27
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Poor Schaub. What did he ever do to deserve being shipped off to the black hole?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
If McFadden can stay healthy, and they do get Evans, and have a decent draft. Schaub could do very well for them. Allot better than they are used to that's for sure, and from what I have been reading, Raiders fans actually seem like they want the guy and look at him as an improvement. Silly Raiders fans.
It's a QB driven league. If Greg Olsen does everything he can to get Schaub into his zone & keep him there, I think Schaub is going to surprise a lot of people. If they try to build their offensive attack around McFadden, they're just asking for trouble.
Old 03-23-2014   #29
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh, I don't hate Schaub as many do. That said, it was certainly time for him to move on. I wish him good luck. A change of scenery may serve him well.

At the same time I'm more concerned about our Texans. Schaub was done here. He was like a golfer that gets the "yips"..

And the fact that the Texans got a draft choice, albeit a late draft choice for him is awesome considering they would cut him in June and get NADA for him!
Old 03-23-2014   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Quote:
Raiders QB Matt Schaub restructured deal with OAK, lowering base salary and cap # this year; still can earn $15-$20M the next two seasons.
NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL
Quote:
Matt Schaub re-did his deal with Raiders, per @RapSheet. Lowers base salary, but can earn between $13M and $21M over the next two years.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #31
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Not a surprise. What I didn't know was the connection between Raider HC Dennis Allen and Schaub.

Allen knew Schaub from his days in Atlanta. He also had to be impressed with Schaub rallying the Texans to two 4th quarter FGs against the Raiders last year, only to lose by 5. That was one of the two games where Matt didn't throw an INT (the other vs the Rams). Of course, he only played a half in those contests.
Kinda random, but I got a nice giggle out of the bolded. Rallying to two FGs to lose by 5. I don't know why I got a kick out of it. Maybe it's typical to what last season was, a huge bucket o fail
Old 03-24-2014   #32
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149260 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Truthfully, when one considers that in his time here Schaub's inability to read defenses was due in large part to Kubiak not allowing him to audible from the line I think he MIGHT do a better job in Oakland. I wish the muff-hugga luck.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Oakland Raiders coach Dennis Allen told reporters Friday he saw Matt Schaub as a long-term solution who could lead the team at quarterback for several years.

That faith in Schaub's ability won't necessarily preclude the Raiders from investing in a QB in the upcoming NFL Draft, however.

"I don't think you ever take anything off the table," Allen told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport and a small group of reporters at the NFL Annual Meeting in Orlando, Fla. on Sunday. "You have your checklist. We've got these holes we need to fill. That's one that we feel like we've been able to check off the list. We filled that."

Most interesting, I thought, was how they were talking on the video that the offseason moves made by the Raiders gives you the feel that they are in "win now" mode.

They were last place in a division where the other three teams had winning records, they all made the play-offs. Surely they were not one player away from a winning season, much less a championship. They've got "holes" all over their roster, but they're making a "substantial" push to "win now"

I think they're treading water, but I'll keep an ear to the ground to see if anyone else thinks they may be on the move.
Old 03-24-2014   #34
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Kinda random, but I got a nice giggle out of the bolded. Rallying to two FGs to lose by 5. I don't know why I got a kick out of it. Maybe it's typical to what last season was, a huge bucket o fail
Hey, I was trying to be positive. Schaub can lead a team to FG range. But he can't kick it in for ya.
Old 03-24-2014   #35
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Quote:
From what I understand, Matt Schaub's cap number for 2014 is now around $7.5M. He re-did his deal with the #Raiders after the trade.

Last edited by infantrycak; 03-25-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-24-2014   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL
Kinda curious. I thought one of the apealing things about him was that he was going to take up a big chunk of their salary cap. This move kinda kills that line of thinking. I'd like to see more details... I didn't think Schaub would want to restructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Truthfully, when one considers that in his time here Schaub's inability to read defenses was due in large part to Kubiak not allowing him to audible from the line I think he MIGHT do a better job in Oakland. I wish the muff-hugga luck.
I never put too much into the not being able to audible yak. The offense is designed the way it's designed and the traditional audible system was not necessary.

When you watch the videos here, you can see how a single play can unfold several different ways depending on what the QB sees before & after the snap. In one of them, he mentions how the routes on one side of the field are designed to attack a zone defense & the other side, the routes are designed to attack man defense. So if the QB sees zone, his read starts on that side of the field & works back the other way. If he reads man, it starts on the other side & works back from there.

Then both sides have adjustments for the blitz.

I understand wanting our QB to have the freedom (or the snap) to change a play to adjust for a mismatch in our favor, but that's totally different than being able to read a defense... which I thought Matt was pretty good at.
Old 03-24-2014   #37
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Marc Sessler ‏@MarcSesslerNFL
Quote:
Reggie McKenzie says Terrelle Pryor has talked with his agent about wanting to be released by the #Raiders.
Old 03-25-2014   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

I've got a Raiders forum bookmarked. I don't ever post there, don't have an account, just visit from time to time to get opinions on things that are not Houston-Centric. I've also got boards from most other teams bookmarked for the same thing.

This Raiders board is one of the ones I rarely visit, just not that interested in the constant moaning & groaning. But I decided to take a look after the recent interaction between our two teams.

So..... here's a link, you may be interested in.
Old 03-25-2014   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Raiders coach Dennis Allen on Matt Schaub:
Quote:
“We have a quarterback now that’s on par with the quarterbacks in this division”
Quote:
-ALLEN: My preference is, guys that can move the team down the field, guys who can put points on the board. I think there’s certain qualities you look at in the quarterbacks that have been able to be successful over the years.
I’m talking about guys like Drew Brees, who I was with, I’m talking about guys like Peyton Manning, I’m talking about guys like Tom Brady, guys that their work ethic is unmatched; they’re the first ones in the building, they’re the last one to leave.

They have the ability to process information quickly and they can throw the ball with timing and accuracy. And those are the things you have to be able to do to play the quarterback position.
Old 03-25-2014   #40
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish Schaub the best. I honestly hope the Raiders win the division. Most likely not going to happen, but I would love the turmoil it would cause if it happened.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read