Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2014   #11
Nitrofish
FSM Rules!

Rep Power: 57899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish
Default Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick visiting Texans (signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The one in SanFrancisco had Alex Smith (before Harbaugh he could have been thought of in the same class as Fitzpatrick), & drafted a QB his first year. That QB became his starter in year two.
Alex Smith was the 1st overall pick in 2005, Fitzpatrick went in the 7th round the same year. Smith would never have been though of in the same class as Fitzpatrick.

Quote:
The one in Baltimore drafted Flacco when he first got there. Took him to the play offs for 5 years straight... winning the Super Bowl in year 5.
If you are being honest, the Ravens defense took them to the playoff 5 years straight, not Flacco. Flacco and Schaub are twins.

Quote:
Pete Carol signed Matt Flyn (probably a tier above Fitzpatrick) & drafted Russell Wilson. He named Wilson the starter for week 1 & won the Super Bowl with Wilson in year two.
I would say Flynn and Fitzpatrick are very similar. Fitzpatrick had one big game (Against the Texans) which got him his shot. Flynn had one big game with GB, which gave him his shot. But when the chips were down, and the game was on the line, neither guy was big in the those moments, so they were replaced, and then replaced again.

Wilson was not planned, he was just a fluke, and I am still on the fence when it comes to him anyway. I didn't see anything special from him all season, including the Super Bowl. The only thing I saw when he played the Texans is that if Wade had just maintained the same strategy of maintaining lanes and sugar rushing Russell to keep him in the pocket, the Texans would have won that game. but instead Wade stopped sugar rushing in the 2nd half and left huge lanes for Wilson to run through, and he did exactly that. He ran all over the Texans with defenders backs to him.

Quote:
It's a pipe dream, but in our scenario Fitzpatrick is AlexSmith/Matt Flynn. We'll draft a QB, who will be a rookie. In 2015, he'll be a second year player.

I don't understand how that's an apples & oranges thing.
In both the Ravens and 49 situations, they were not drained of talent just before the Harbaugh's took over. The teams remained for the most part in tact from their predecessors, and both had solid Defenses to offset the short comings at QB. Look at what John Harbaugh did the year after his team was drained of talent. They did not even make the playoffs even though they still had Flacco and Harbaugh.

I understand your reasons for being optimistic, but while anything is possible, it's also unlikely the Texans will even win 8 games this season, or next. I'm behind the team and hope you are right, but hope does not win football games. I wish I could be more optimistic, but after signing Fitzpatrick, the new regime is not getting off to a great start IMHO.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read