Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-22-2014   #201
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick visiting Texans (signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I really think that's debatable. Bortles may be the most conventional of the group but I think Manziel has the highest upside and the highest bust potential. He's a game changer in ways that Bortles and Bridgewater cant compare .... Total boom or bust pick. Fran Tarkington or .... Tim Tebow.
I was going with Bortles because of his size. He's tall and built like Ben Rathzesburgers. I wouldn't argue with Manziel though. At least Keenum would have someone to feel tall around. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #202
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249738 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Speaking of T.J., I wonder if O'Brien will actually hold onto him thru camp and give him a real shot to beat out the other three guys (I figure we'll draft a QB somewhere in this draft) or is he being currently shopped around.
He needs to process information quickly and he needs to be accurate. Tough to know on the first point because Gary removed so much decision making from his QBs. Haven't heard much about TJ this offseason -- could see Kubiak or Baby Shanny wanting him to help install their schemes. Maybe low level player exchange? Dunno.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #203
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Fitzpatrick
Quote:
"We got into some of the X's and O's a little bit, just talking about the basics of the system and what they ask of their quarterback and all that stuff," Fitzpatrick said in a 1-on-1 interview on Friday. "For me, it was a very exciting thing to see the demands that they put on a quarterback and all the different ways that they attack defenses and their scheme and what they're trying to do."

"I walked away so impressed by his knowledge and passion of the game," Fitzpatrick said. "That's the thing that got me most excited."

"If there's one thing that I'm good at, it's picking up a new system," Fitzpatrick said. "But I'm looking forward to that: the challenge of learning it."

"I'm really excited about fully jumping into this stuff and really learning it together as an offensive unit and going from there," Fitzpatrick said. "I really enjoy the x's and o's part of the game, and all the preparation that goes into a game."
Quote:
According to Fitzpatrick, the quarterback in O'Brien's system must be able to "process information quickly", and the Harvard grad will be called upon to do that, whether he's a starter this season or a backup. Offseason workouts begin on April 7, and OTA's will start in the middle of May.
Old 03-22-2014   #204
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249738 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

What do Schaub and Fitzpatrick mean for Bortles, Manziel, and Bridgewater?
Quote:
I thought it would be interesting to review the last 20 years of NFL history and identify situations where a team added a veteran quarterback and then still selected a passer in the first round of the draft. There weren’t quite as many examples as I originally expected, although part of the explanation is that there simply aren’t that many quarterbacks drafted in the first round, period.

...But let’s look at some of the examples more similar to Schaub-to-Oakland or Fitzpatrick-to-Houston:
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #205
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, one good thing comes from this signing...

At least Ryan Fitzpartick is no Matt Schaub....

wait...........................what?
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #206
YeaLikeRightNow
Veteran

Rep Power: 650 YeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe Fitzpatrick is going to be designated as a solid backup quarterback for the Texans. I think the Texans will either go for Blake Bortles in the draft, or perhaps O'Brian will attempt a deal with the Patriots in getting Mallet on board with the team. I can see Mallet as the starter and "Fitzperfec" as his backup.

What are your thoughts on this?
YeaLikeRightNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #207
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Agreed. He's the one with the most obvious "franchise" potential. Most definitely not a sure thing & one heck of a gamble...

I mean next to McCarron.

TK, I think you've posted your opinion of McCarton just about the correct amount.
If he busts, your posts will fade into the internet ether and be forgotten, but if he turns out good, you've got quite a few "I told you so" posts to point to. That's basically what you're looking for, right?

michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #208
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
TK, I think you've posted your opinion of McCarton just about the correct amount.
If he busts, your posts will fade into the internet ether and be forgotten, but if he turns out good, you've got quite a few "I told you so" posts to point to. That's basically what you're looking for, right?

Well.... being that I've rarely came back with an "I told you so" I don't think that's the point.
Old 03-22-2014   #209
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well.... being that I've rarely came back with an "I told you so" I don't think that's the point.
I told him so but he wouldn't listen.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #210
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 53129 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Well, one good thing comes from this signing...

At least Ryan Fitzpartick is no Matt Schaub....

wait...........................what?
No.. Fitzpatrick is not even a Chinese knock off of Matt Schaub. No question in my mind that the Texans got better when Matt Schaub was traded and Ryan Fitzpatrick was signed. I mean who in their right mind couldn't see that?

The O'Brien/Fitzpatrick running of the bulls is about to run roughshod over the rest of the league!

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to be able to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, it's a tremendous honor." -Andre Johnson
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #211
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
No.. Fitzpatrick is not even a Chinese knock off of Matt Schaub. No question in my mind that the Texans got better when Matt Schaub was traded and Ryan Fitzpatrick was signed. I mean who in their right mind couldn't see that?

The O'Brien/Fitzpatrick running of the bulls is about to run roughshod over the rest of the league!
I think Schaub when healthy is clearly the better QB .... thing is , he hasn't been healthy for quite a while & his injuries get worse with use , not better. He was far from their only problem last season , they have a lot of work to do in rebuilding this roster. They do have a good foundation to build from tho , something other teams with similar records don't have as far as star power goes.

Fitzpatrick is nothing more than a caretaker of the position until the new regime's QB , who they will draft in rounds 1-3 is ready to take over the reins.

Did they get better ? Probably not .... but they didn't get any worse and shed themselves of the contract , saved $3.9m and change in the process.

I wish Schaub the best & hope he has another probowl season , don't even care if he beats the Texans as their record this coming season is of little consequence. Get your rookie head coach & rookie QB some on the job training and we'll see you in the 2015 playoffs.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #212
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53531 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wish Schaub the best & hope he has another probowl season , don't even care if he beats the Texans as their record this coming season is of little consequence. Get your rookie head coach & rookie QB some on the job training and we'll see you in the 2015 playoffs.
So you think 2011 and 2012 were the fluke years and that we were closer to 2013 the whole time?

Oh, ok.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #213
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
So you think 2011 and 2012 were the fluke years and that we were closer to 2013 the whole time?

Oh, ok.
Not at all , I think Schaub was pretty damn good in those seasons & that the injuries added up and took their toll on his game , it was evident even late in the season when they struggled down the stretch after starting 11-1.

Schaub was never very physically gifted but had just enough ability to make just enough plays .... the injuries took just enough physical ability away that what were positive plays are now negative or net zero.

A healthy Schaub was an above average QB , Schaub after the injuries isn't.

Hope that makes sense ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #214
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Not at all , I think Schaub was pretty damn good in those seasons & that the injuries added up and took their toll on his game , it was evident even late in the season when they struggled down the stretch after starting 11-1.
I understand the logic & it makes sense... except the defense struggled down this same stretch. I don't see how Schaub's reluctance to plant off his injured foot caused the defense be utterly useless in the red zone... either the end of 2012, or all of 2013. Nor how the residual effects of Schaub's injury stopped us from picking up 4th & 1..... yeah, the defense knew we were going to run the ball... they're supposed to. Then in the final 4 games of 2012, how does Schaub's deginerative condition cause Andre & Owen to drop balls they would normally catch, even though he was able to get the ball to their hands?

Schaub's level of play dropped off..... I'm not denying that. But at no time in his time here was he the guy that made everyone else look better. It had always been the other way around, where they (& the system, mostly the system) made him look better. Carried a bit further, that would mean...
Old 03-22-2014   #215
MasterCush
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 MasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Default Fitzpatrick Screams Like A Girl

What the hell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO4Z4NHk4Lk

MasterCush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #216
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

That is some embarrassing stuff. I hope he can keep his mouth shut while he's on the bench.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #217
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64465 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope he keeps the beard.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #218
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
That is some embarrassing stuff. I hope he can keep his mouth shut while he's on the bench.
Hey, if he's screaming like a little bayotch because we're winning, I'll take it
Old 03-23-2014   #219
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Wow, already hating on O'Brien before he's coached a single game here.

Why am I not surprised by this?
Old 03-23-2014   #220
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I just hope he keeps the beard.

95 degree temps & 75 degree dew points soon enough will send RF scuring off to find a razor.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read