Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2014   #181
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 53129 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick visiting Texans (signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
In the words and expression of Johnny Carson....I did not know that. It just seemed like the NFL to do such a thing. I guess I can't really blame them either. They are a business.
They are not hurting for money, but they did sell commercial time to sponsors who are expecting eyeballs on the tube during the draft, so they almost have to insist on that, or that income stream will dry up quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Can any of you savy sleuths find the connection between Fitzpatrick & O'Brien?
Yeah, it was down in the Big Easy at a place called O'Brien's off of Bourbon Street where they first met. Ryan was there to drown his sorrows for losing his starting job in Buffalo.

Bill was there just trying to get away from his wife, who was nagging at him for working too much.

It's pure fate that these two men were brought together over a few drinks in the French Quarter. The Universe has spoken, and nobody can stand in the way of this Juggernaut led by O'Brien & Fitzpatrick!

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to be able to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, it's a tremendous honor." -Andre Johnson
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #182
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not sure on O'Brien but Fitzpatrick and JJ Watt both had cameos on The League.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJLL5AcliKg
Old 03-21-2014   #183
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Listening to McClain on 610 radio right now, so he says the fact that the Texans signed Ryan Fitzpatrick is just assurance they will draft a QB in the first round this year. I have no idea where McClain comes up his analysis for such things because one could easily draw the conclusion that they will be less likely to draft a QB in the first round with this FA pickup ? In the meantime McClain is now busy trying to explain how he could be mistaken that anybody would make a trade for Matt Schaub ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #184
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
O'Brien saw Fitzpatrick twice a year when the Pats played the Bills in the AFC East. I'm sure O'Brien knows what he's getting.
Old 03-21-2014   #185
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Has Fitzpatrick ever played for a team that wouldn't be described as "****"? Ever? I'm not saying the Texans after a 2-14 season aren't right there in the same company but trying to look objectively at Fitzpatrick's career all I see is a guy who didn't win in situations where nobody else did either.

Did Fitz bring the suck or was he just lucky enough to get to lead it at times?

If he ends up starting for us how much can his quality of play be mitigated? Can we run Arian Foster into the ground again?
Old 03-21-2014   #186
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Has Fitzpatrick ever played for a team that wouldn't be described as "****"? Ever? I'm not saying the Texans after a 2-14 season aren't right there in the same company but trying to look objectively at Fitzpatrick's career all I see is a guy who didn't win in situations where nobody else did either.

Did Fitz bring the suck or was he just lucky enough to get to lead it at times?

If he ends up starting for us how much can his quality of play be mitigated? Can we run Arian Foster into the ground again?
Fitzpatrick was a 7th round draft pick back in 2005. He's been in the league going on 10 seasons & has played quite a bit of football.

Pretty amazing if you think about it.
Old 03-21-2014   #187
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I have seen Fitzpatrick play quite a bit. The guy is a turnover machine. He is a gunslinger with a weak arm.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #188
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Schaub trade is dead now.
I was wrong. Had we just got a 7 I wouldn't be willing to concede but a 6 (an early 6) and I must say im thrilled. What a coup.
Old 03-21-2014   #189
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing about Fitzpatrick that surprises me is his mobility. He ran for 225 yards last year, 20.5 yds/game. Fitz's longest run was 26 yards. In contrast, Schaub had 24 yards rushing the entire year.
Old 03-21-2014   #190
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If Fitzpatrick is our starting QB for game one, I guarantee you someone else will be by the 5th game. Fitz is a nice backup, but he ain't no starter.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #191
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If Fitzpatrick is our starting QB for game one, I guarantee you someone else will be by the 5th game. Fitz is a nice backup, but he ain't no starter.
Like you , I think he's nothing more than a veteran caretaker of the position ... he may start the season as the starter , but its highly unlikely he ends it as the starter ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #192
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Adam Caplan ✔ @caplannfl

New #Texans QB Ryan Fitzpatrick will earn $4 M in year one of his two-year deal. And guarantees are in year one. None in year two.11:56 AM - 21 Mar 2014
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #193
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fitz is bubble gum and duct tape meant to keep it all afloat just a bit longer. Problem is, who else is available worth a damn? Fitz is about as good as we could do considering whats available. In BOB we trust. Looks like bortles by games 6 or 7 to me.
Old 03-22-2014   #194
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick visiting Texans (signs)h

Pick six, v2
Old 03-22-2014   #195
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Fitz is bubble gum and duct tape meant to keep it all afloat just a bit longer. Problem is, who else is available worth a damn? Fitz is about as good as we could do considering whats available. In BOB we trust. Looks like bortles by games 6 or 7 to me.
If we don't get a QB in the draft that can step up by mid season, we will have Fitz or Keenum running the show. Yates is outa here. If they draft Bortles, the QB with the most upside in the draft but NOT ready for prime time yet, he must might not be ready by mid-season. But I'd take him anyway simply because of the upside to him. He should be ready next year. We ain't going to the super bowl this season anyway.

Old 03-22-2014   #196
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we don't get a QB in the draft that can step up by mid season, we will have Fitz or Keenum running the show. Yates is outa here. If they draft Bortles, the QB with the most upside in the draft but NOT ready for prime time yet, he must might not be ready by mid-season. But I'd take him anyway simply because of the upside to him. He should be ready next year. We ain't going to the super bowl this season anyway.
I really think that's debatable. Bortles may be the most conventional of the group but I think Manziel has the highest upside and the highest bust potential. He's a game changer in ways that Bortles and Bridgewater cant compare .... Total boom or bust pick. Fran Tarkington or .... Tim Tebow.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #197
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
I have seen Fitzpatrick play quite a bit. The guy is a turnover machine. He is a gunslinger with a weak arm.
Two words which should never be used together

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
...Adam Caplan ✔ @caplannfl
Quote:
New #Texans QB Ryan Fitzpatrick will earn $4 M in year one of his two-year deal. And guarantees are in year one. None in year two.11:56 AM - 21 Mar 2014
Don't know if it means anything, but Vick got 1 year $5M from the Jets.
Old 03-22-2014   #198
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I really think that's debatable. Bortles may be the most conventional of the group but I think Manziel has the highest upside and the highest bust potential. He's a game changer in ways that Bortles and Bridgewater cant compare .... Total boom or bust pick. Fran Tarkington or .... Tim Tebow.
Agreed. He's the one with the most obvious "franchise" potential. Most definitely not a sure thing & one heck of a gamble...

I mean next to McCarron.
Old 03-22-2014   #199
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Speaking of T.J., I wonder if O'Brien will actually hold onto him thru camp and give him a real shot to beat out the other three guys (I figure we'll draft a QB somewhere in this draft) or is he being currently shopped around.
Don't laugh. I don't remember anybody predicting Schaub netting us an early sixth round pick before the Raiders rumors started.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #200
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Speaking of T.J., I wonder if O'Brien will actually hold onto him thru camp and give him a real shot to beat out the other three guys (I figure we'll draft a QB somewhere in this draft) or is he being currently shopped around.
Don't laugh. I don't remember anybody predicting Schaub netting us an early sixth round pick before the Raiders rumors started.
I'd take the last pick in the draft for Yates. Better than just letting him go. He might fetch another bench warmer in a trade, which would be OK if the trade netted us someone who actually makes the team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read