Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2014   #161
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick visiting Texans (signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
"He's seen enough" could also be translated as "This guy sucks." It really only means "Whatever I believed walking in here, I've already had confirmed." It doesn't say anything about what he believed going in.
"They are who we thought they are."
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #162
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
He walks out of Blakes pro day saying hes seen enough. He adds another vet qb and trades Schaub. He just seems like a guy who knows what he wants. I dont know who he wants, but to me BOB seems like hes ready at 1.1 JMO
Let's say that's true, so since we have the 1.1 pick, what I would like to know is that in NFL rules, when is the soonest a team with the 1.1 pick can announce/sign (whatever) or use that 1.1 pick? I don't recall any team using it over a day or two before the actual draft date.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #163
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Let's say that's true, so since we have the 1.1 pick, what I would like to know is that in NFL rules, when is the soonest a team with the 1.1 pick can announce/sign (whatever) or use that 1.1 pick? I don't recall any team using it over a day or two before the actual draft date.
The Texans had signed Williams before the draft had happened, and I believe the Dolphins had agreed to terms with Long before he went #1 overall.
Old 03-21-2014   #164
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't quote me, but I THOUGHT that the first pick could literally sign anytime since we own the pick, we could make it now (as in signing who we want). I could def. be wrong, but I thought this was the case. I can't seem to find anything about this though.
Old 03-21-2014   #165
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't quote me, but I THOUGHT that the first pick could literally sign anytime since we own the pick, we could make it now (as in signing who we want). I could def. be wrong, but I thought this was the case. I can't seem to find anything about this though.
Google isn't helping me find this out either. I'm really not sure why I want to know this, but the question popped into my head and now I want to know. LOL

Old 03-21-2014   #166
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Google isn't helping me find this out either. I'm really not sure why I want to know this, but the question popped into my head and now I want to know. LOL
Yea i hear that lol. I will keep searching as well. Im almost positive they can sign early, just not sure how early.
Old 03-21-2014   #167
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Yea i hear that lol. I will keep searching as well. Im almost positive they can sign early, just not sure how early.
Found it. And the NFL doesn't specifically say. They just say the draft starts on a Thursday.

http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/rules/

EDIT: THat is NOT the NFL site. oops. but it looks good.

Old 03-21-2014   #168
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NFL_Draft

Quote:
Having signed a contract with the Houston Texans on the evening before the draft, Mario Williams, a defensive end from North Carolina State, became the draft’s first pick.[1]
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2426003 <---- footnote 1 in quoted section

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...o&confirm=true

Quote:
DAVIE, Fla. -- Jake Long seemed at ease in his new role as the NFL's No. 1 draft pick, leaning into a news conference microphone to talk about his mean streak while his mother sat in the corner, nodding as she smiled.

The Miami Dolphins were grinning Tuesday, too. They signed the former Michigan left tackle to a five-year contract with $30 million guaranteed, and they'll select him with the top pick in the 2008 NFL Draft on Saturday. NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the contract is valued at $57.5 million.

The deal allows the Dolphins and Long to avoid a possible holdout.
ya'lls google-fu is terrible
Old 03-21-2014   #169
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I can't believe there is nothing out there about how soon a player and team can work out a deal. Can Smith sign the first pick now? i don't see why not, but can't find a rule on it.
Old 03-21-2014   #170
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm guessing Goodell issued a league-wide memo demanding teams hold off on the signing until after the first day of the draft. After all, NFL Draft Day needs to generate as much commercial revenue as possible. Billions and billions of tax-free dollars don't just grow on trees, you know.
Old 03-21-2014   #171
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I'm guessing Goodell issued a league-wide memo demanding teams hold off on the signing until after the first day of the draft. After all, NFL Draft Day needs to generate as much commercial revenue as possible. Billions and billions of tax-free dollars don't just grow on trees, you know.
From PFT:
Quote:
NFL reminds teams not to leak picks before podium announcement

Posted by Josh Alper on April 24, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT

The NFL really wants to keep the suspense alive during the draft this season.

On the heels of the announcement that there will no longer be camera shots of players on the phone with teams in the green room just before they are picked and hints that analysts on the networks covering the event will not report picks before they are announced comes word that the league is reminding teams to keep the wraps on things. Darren Rovell of CNBC reports that the league recently reminded teams to withhold announcements of their picks via any medium before they are officially made on the stage at Radio City Music Hall.

The Colts obviously didn’t get the memo.

It’s become a trend in recent years for teams to leak their picks out on Twitter before they get officially announced on telecasts. The league obviously wants to keep people watching the draft as opposed to simply following it via other modes of communication. Last week, Rich Eisen of the NFL Network said that the teams have to be part of that in addition to the networks.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #172
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

In the words and expression of Johnny Carson....I did not know that. It just seemed like the NFL to do such a thing. I guess I can't really blame them either. They are a business.
Old 03-21-2014   #173
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Patrick Fitzryan.
Old 03-21-2014   #174
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if anyone else noticed. But when I first read the breaking news official HT site article announcing the Fitzpatrick signing, I was not familiar with whom we signed, as they referred to Ryan Fitzgerald. They have obviously decided not to sign Fitzgerald as they have since changed the "Fitzgerald" to "Fitzpatrick."
Old 03-21-2014   #175
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

On 790 this AM, ND Kalu mentioned that he watched quite a bit of film on Fitzpatrick........and for a QB with a perfect 50 Wonderlic, and Fitzpatrick's high interception rate (which he attributed a very high percentage of those to poor decision-making), it puts into question the correlation between the Wonderlic score and decision making expected by a QB.
Old 03-21-2014   #176
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
From PFT:Posted by Josh Alper on April 24, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT

The NFL really wants to keep the suspense alive during the draft this season.

On the heels of the announcement that there will no longer be camera shots of players on the phone with teams in the green room just before they are picked and hints that analysts on the networks covering the event will not report picks before they are announced comes word that the league is reminding teams to keep the wraps on things. Darren Rovell of CNBC reports that the league recently reminded teams to withhold announcements of their picks via any medium before they are officially made on the stage at Radio City Music Hall.
This ain't American Idol or Survivor. It's the freakin' NFL draft. Bring it back to two days like god intended. We've been operating under suspense and speculation since February. What the hell is an extra five minutes gonna do for your ratings that the past five MONTHS have not?!?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #177
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As soon as a player is signed, I assume he can be given a playbook and have access to team facilities, including the film room. Drills and such is limited by the CBA. April 15 is the first day of ota's for the Texans.

(edit) I may have assumed wrong. According to B0ng, he still would have to be "officially" drafted. So the contract may not become "effective" until the draft.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #178
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
This ain't American Idol or Survivor. It's the freakin' NFL draft. Bring it back to two days like god intended. We've been operating under suspense and speculation since February. What the hell is an extra five minutes gonna do for your ratings that the past five MONTHS have not?!?
Yeah, I don't watch the NFL draft...period. I let a few million of my closest friends watch and sooner or later one of them is bound to tell me what happened.
Old 03-21-2014   #179
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Can any of you savy sleuths find the connection between Fitzpatrick & O'Brien?
Old 03-21-2014   #180
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Can any of you savy sleuths find the connection between Fitzpatrick & O'Brien?
There is none, except that Crennel's defense probably faced Fitzpatrick at one time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read