Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-20-2014   #921
brg88tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 9919 brg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

O'Brien signs fellow ivy leager from Harvard (Fitzpatrick).....could this mean he might try to draft that big qb from cornell Mathews? he does like smart qbs.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #922
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone should un-edit the edit in the title of this thread .... or at least edit ti to reflect the signing of .... Fitzpatrick

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #923
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The only way someone will trade up with us is if they believe St. Louis wants the player they've got to have.... or if they think someone will trade with St. Louis to get said player.

The only thing we "know" is that St. Louis is not interested in a QB at that spot. Watkins would make sense to me, but this is a deep WR draft & don't see anyone giving up multiple picks to get him.

Too many OTs at the top of this draft, but with Lewan's recent issues... who knows?

Clowney... why would St. Louis want Clowney?

As long as St. Louis doesn't fall in love with anyone... as long as they're mums about who they want, & they're open for business, our pick isn't going anywhere.
If Clowney deserves the hype he is getting, every team including St. Louis would want him. I truly think that only a team that wants Clowney would trade with us. No QB has seperated himself enough, there are 2 top OTs, Watkins might be intriguing but I think the prize would be too high to trade up for him.

IŽd love to trade with Cleveland for their 2 first rounders, but I also believe we won`t find a partner. If we don`t, I think my pick changed to Robinson...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #924
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 292321 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Someone should un-edit the edit in the title of this thread .... or at least edit ti to reflect the signing of .... Fitzpatrick
Yeah... I was thinking that too.

Another random thought, I guess the Fitz signing means the 2-1 to N.E. for Mallett rumor is totally debunked.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #925
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Another random thought, I guess the Fitz signing means the 2-1 to N.E. for Mallett rumor is totally debunked.
I think so.
Old 03-21-2014   #926
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah... I was thinking that too.

How does signing a backup/temporary starter debunk any theory on future starter? Until someone who is expected to start 2015 is on the roster the field is wide open because he ain't here yet.
Old 03-21-2014   #927
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 292321 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
How does signing a backup/temporary starter debunk any theory on future starter? Until someone who is expected to start 2015 is on the roster the field is wide open because he ain't here yet.
So you don't think we'll draft our future starter in the upcoming draft?
Old 03-21-2014   #928
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought what he was saying is that any QB drafted likely won't start until 2015.

Though I wouldn't go that far personally; as things are now I would expect Fitz to start in 2014 -- at least at first -- unless a hypothetical 1.1 drafted at QB absolutely tears it up in camp.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #929
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I thought what he was saying is that any QB drafted likely won't start until 2015.

Though I wouldn't go that far personally; as things are now I would expect Fitz to start in 2014 -- at least at first -- unless a hypothetical 1.1 drafted at QB absolutely tears it up in camp.
Exactly.

Fitz goes into camp the starter but he may not get out of camp the starter. He's just keeping the seat warm until OB feels comfortable that the rookie can handle it. Which could be 8 games in, could be first game.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #930
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I mean Fitz is a stopgap and our intended starter for 2015 and/or an unknown portion of 2014 is not currently on the roster. Therefore IMO none of the possible draft picks or a trade for Mallett are off the table.
Old 03-21-2014   #931
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Exactly.

Fitz goes into camp the starter but he may not get out of camp the starter. He's just keeping the seat warm until OB feels comfortable that the rookie can handle it. Which could be 8 games in, could be first game.
Okay. So Mallett could still be under consideration as a future starter. I guess I had put Mallett in the "seat warmer" category, thinking that we'd pick a 2015 starter out of this year's QB crop.

So that says that TK's scenario where we turn our 3rd plus the 6th/7th we get for Schaub into Mallett into something plausible. Personally, I'm still thinking Belichick wants that #33 pick and not the 65th pick.
Quote:
I mean Fitz is a stopgap and our intended starter for 2015 and/or an unknown portion of 2014 is not currently on the roster. Therefore IMO none of the possible draft picks or a trade for Mallett are off the table.
Yeah, I'm with you now. Lot's of options still available.

No wonder Thorn woke up.
Old 03-21-2014   #932
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Okay. So Mallett could still be under consideration as a future starter. I guess I had put Mallett in the "seat warmer" category, thinking that we'd pick a 2015 starter out of this year's QB crop.

So that says that TK's scenario where we turn our 3rd plus the 6th/7th we get for Schaub into Mallett into something plausible. Personally, I'm still thinking Belichick wants that #33 pick and not the 65th pick.
Personally, I think that since we made the moves we have, we won't be pursuing Mallett. To me, it was either Mallett as the guy going forward or a rookie. If we traded for Mallett, we wouldn't be drafting a rookie QB; if we didn't trade for a QB (including Mallett), then we would.

Since we picked a FA QB instead of trading for one, the Mallett deal is off the table and we're probably drafting a QB at some point.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #933
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Personally, I'm still thinking Belichick wants that #33 pick and not the 65th pick.
I'm sure that's what he wants... if we were willing to do it, it would be done by now.
Old 03-21-2014   #934
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I don't see us trading for Mallett anymore either. They could, but I don't think it's likely.

I think if your plan is to trade for Mallett you don't need to sign Fitz. To me it's seeming that the QB OB chooses to be the guy comes from somewhere in the draft.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #935
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
Honestly, I don't see us trading for Mallett anymore either. They could, but I don't think it's likely.

I think if your plan is to trade for Mallett you don't need to sign Fitz. To me it's seeming that the QB OB chooses to be the guy comes from somewhere in the draft.
That's what I think.
Old 03-21-2014   #936
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm shifting to the "We're taking Bortles at 1.1" camp, but it's possible that we wait until just before the 65th pick & make the offer at that time. If someone NE wants is on the board, they just might blink & take it. Who knows?

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #937
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 44165 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

So, during this offseason my opinion changed a lot.

I never liked the idea of drafting clowney, and I still don't. So at least that didn't change.

Talking QB it started as "TB is considered the best", so I thought he was the most likely 1-1 pick (if we were to go QB)

I didn't like JM, I thought he was some kind of Tebow.

And I was just "meh" on BB (I thought he was brought up just because he had a good game against BO'B)

With time I started to develop a strange feeling about TB, and after his combine+proday reviews I still have a bad feeling about him.

BB grew on me with time, he did it all at the combine and had good pro day reviews, so I wouldn't mind at all taking him.

JM never really convinced me, even when I got past the initial Tebow thing I wasn't really for (nor against) him, I just hoped they didn't take him just cause he's from texas.
But now, with all those good reviews from his pro day, I have to say I would be happy if they took him.

So I guess right now I'm torn between JM and BB

I guess the best thing would be trading down a few spots so we can get the QB and some more picks in the trade. But I don't know how likely that is.

Also I have seen at least one mock draft in which no QBs are taken in round one. It goes without saying that I would be REALLY happy to get one of them at 2-1. (I really don't think that's gonna happen tho)
Old 03-28-2014   #938
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68452 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

So after seeing all three quarterbacks, I have warmed up to idea of drafting a quarterback in the 2nd. Too many question marks on all three top qb's.

I wouldn't be upset with Mettenberger, Garoppolo, or Murray. Heck I even like McCarron.

I think those quarterbacks would likely sit for a year without having to worry to start day 1.

Since there is no Peyton, Elway, Luck or (insert sure thing qb) then I don't see why the Texans can wait till the second. Some of the best qbs have come from later rounds, such as Montana, Brees, Rodgers, Favre.

But if the Texans decide to take Manziel, I just hope he lives up to the hype.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #939
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
So after seeing all three quarterbacks, I have warmed up to idea of drafting a quarterback in the 2nd. Too many question marks on all three top qb's.

I wouldn't be upset with Mettenberger, Garoppolo, or Murray. Heck I even like McCarron.

I think those quarterbacks would likely sit for a year without having to worry to start day 1.

Since there is no Peyton, Elway, Luck or (insert sure thing qb) then I don't see why the Texans can wait till the second. Some of the best qbs have come from later rounds, such as Montana, Brees, Rodgers, Favre.

But if the Texans decide to take Manziel, I just hope he lives up to the hype.
Rodgers was a 1st round pick. Brees and Favre were at the very top of the 2nd.

But more to the point, then why not just wait until next year's draft and go ahead and get a starter at some other position in the 2nd? I mean fine if the coaches really think they are onto something everyone else is missing, go for it but I don't see the point in picking a QB just to pick a QB.
Old 03-28-2014   #940
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68452 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rodgers was a 1st round pick. Brees and Favre were at the very top of the 2nd.

But more to the point, then why not just wait until next year's draft and go ahead and get a starter at some other position in the 2nd?

That's my point. We have the first pick in the second. About Rodgers, my mistake. lol

But it's just my opinion. I really don't see anything that stands out from the top three. If the Texans decide to wait for next year, oh well.

By the way, who is your favorite qb in this draft?

Me personally, I'm looking for the next Montana or Brady.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read